Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2024 6:00:37 PM EDT
I had two cases separate today while zeroing a new load for my 300 RUM.
The brass is new from the box Nosler brass loaded with 104.5gns of US869 over a 208 ELDM. Load is very accurate and had zero pressure signs during the initial work up.

The rifle is 7 years old and has never had this issue before in all the load work/shooting I’ve done with it. This load is to replace an old load with the same brass/bullet using retumbo.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the difference in base to shoulder datum of old brass and new?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View Quote

Also, what's the difference in base to datum length between unfired (new), sized (unfired) and fired brass?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:09:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUM] [#3]
I measured the new brass fired vs un-fired, the difference was .010”. The older Nosler brass was .014” longer than the new unfired.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RUM:
I measured the new brass fired vs un-fired, the difference was .010”. The older Nosler brass was .014” longer than the new unfired.
View Quote

That will do it; it's well below the minimum length specified by SAAMI.  That brass should be returned for a refund - it never should have made it past QC.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you full length size the brass before you loaded it? NEVER FL size new brass you will get what happened to you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
Did you full length size the brass before you loaded it? NEVER FL size new brass you will get what happened to you.
View Quote

Never have, it was loaded straight out of the box. I only neck size the 300 once I’ve fired the new brass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ronemus:

That will do it; it's well below the minimum length specified by SAAMI.  That brass should be returned for a refund - it never should have made it past QC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ronemus:

Thanks for the input, I’ll given Nosler a call Monday.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View Quote

This

First thing you need to check

I always record measurements to confirm what my chamber dimensions are

Then check new brass

Factory brass you bought may be on the bottom end of tolerance and possibly thinner brass caused over stretch and failure
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

That is a big difference and out of spec

I had a RCBS FL size die that at full cam it pushed the should back .011” from my fired case dimension……my Forster FL die bumped .004

I sent the die to RCBS and they confirmed it was out of spec

On average most FL sizing dies will bump at cam about .005ish.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, if they refund you, go get some Norma brass, it seems to be much better brass than the others except ADG as far as 300rum goes....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#11]
Yeah that’s a literal stretch.   8 thou is sketchy.  14 thou

Although factory ammo can be that much shorter.   SAAMI chamber spec and SAAMI ammo headspace checks are different numbers.  You may be surprised at how short factory ammo can be.

One way to salvage the short brass is to load a bullet in to the lands to let the shoulder blow forward instead of the base blowing back to the bolt face.

You may want to ascertain your actual chamber headspace as well.  More than once people have set their cam/lugs back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUM] [#12]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, if they refund you, go get some Norma brass, it seems to be much better brass than the others except ADG as far as 300rum goes....
View Quote

Unfortunately I’m already invested heavily in Nosler, which makes this sting even more. I’m moving to ADG for my 7mm SAUM AR build.

I shot Remington brass for 15yrs and never had any issue this severe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Unfortunately I’m already invested heavily in Nosler, which makes this sting even more. I’m moving to ADG for my 7mm SAUM AR build.

I shot Remington brass for 15yrs and never had any issue this severe.
View Quote

I still run RP as well, still have around 1000 once fired cases.. We got my buddy some Norma in both 375H&H and 300Rum, brass is damn nice for the cost...But yeah Norma or ADG are tops right now for 300rum...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Annealing neck & shoulder may fix the defective brass. The case body, near the head must be stress relieved @  485 F  degrees .
Top Top