Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 2/20/2023 2:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26]
I’ve bought silencers online and shipped to my local SOT for a decade and I’m ready to try something new

Who has things to say about Capitol Armory’s process?

Secondly, I like deals. If I were to win something cheap on gunbroker, clearance deal through another vendor, SilencerShop exclusive, etc, could I have them F3 it to CapitolArmory vs my local SOT?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
My next can to get out of jail is likely my Sierra 5 that I bought through CA. Should honestly be in the next couple weeks (I’m 264 days in). We shall see.

I will say that the certification process is super quick and easy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just put two Surefire RC2's in jail with them. Went very smooth. Now the long wait...
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:30:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctfish15] [#3]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Secondly, I like deals. If I were to win something cheap on gunbroker, clearance deal through another vendor, SilencerShop exclusive, etc, could I have them F3 it to CapitolArmory vs my local SOT?
View Quote

Great question. You would owe capitol for the ride though, but. It sure how much that is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#4]
I’ve bought silencers online and shipped to my local SOT for a decade and I’m ready to try something new

Who has things to say about Capitol Armory’s process?

View Quote

I have two transfers pending with them now so I can't share yet on the total process. They have been great so far with a dedicated phone # to certify which is much better than trying to work with my local dealer.

I asked about a transfer fee on a purchase that did not originate from them and was told $155.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my Omega 300 2 weeks ago from CA. Perfect transaction. Can't answer your second question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dillhole:

I will say that the certification process is super quick and easy.
View Quote
I agree. They got that part working smoothly.  After your first order (setting up everything, prints, etc), subsequent purchases are almost too easy.  I'm happy enough that they will be my go-to from here on out unless I want something that they don't have.

My understanding is they will have you Docusign a 4473 when the F4 is approved and then it's just shipping your can to you.  My first can through them should come to me in April.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

I asked about a transfer fee on a purchase that did not originate from them and was told $155.
View Quote
Wow that's pricy.  I guess it's a luxury tax and they really don't want to do a lot of those.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Wow that's pricy.  I guess it's a luxury tax and they really don't want to do a lot of those.

View Quote

$155 is steep but I think it's in line given the paperwork handling. I don't know all the ins and outs of CA's multi state arrangement but I imagine it's more complicated than the traditional dealer/in state customer combo.

My local dealer charges $100 for a non-originating/non-SS transfer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a few can delivered to my house via Capitol Armory.

Pretty much hassle free.

It takes about a week or 2 longer after approval since you gotta mail forms back but it's so much easier than going to my FFL to pick up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Got one can pending approval.

Thus far its been seamless and any delays have been on me at this point getting documents to them.

My buddy recommended them and ao far the experience has been great.

Will likely use them again if/when the time comes.
Still like Hanshon Brothers locally, they kick ass in VA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I fulfill CA's door to door orders in Colorado.

So far it's been relatively seamless from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Have two pending. Total price was cheaper than trying most “deals” after local dealers huge transfers fees plus kiosks fee. CA wasn’t interested in price matching or anything like that. Submission/certification was a smoother than SS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#13]
Capitol has been absolutely amazing for me. I’ve had lots of questions and the staff always got back with me super fast and never once came across like my questions were dumb or annoying (even though I’m sure some were).
I plan to buy more suppressors in the future and I’ll absolutely be going with them.
After I finished my profile and got them my prints, I got the email that they submitted my form 4 very quickly after.

And of course, the best part is my suppressor comes right to my doorstep once approved. No need for another background check and transfer fee at local dealer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought one from them 8 years ago and they were great. All done by phone and email.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By nj0ywatch1np0rn:
I've had a few can delivered to my house via Capitol Armory.

Pretty much hassle free.

It takes about a week or 2 longer after approval since you gotta mail forms back but it's so much easier than going to my FFL to pick up.
View Quote

What do you mean mail forms back after approval?

I have several pending myself.  The first time, it was so simple. I already had my EFT file. When i called to verify and finished up, I asked the person on the phone, that's it? Lol.

I assume CA notifies you when you're approved right. Not just ship it without notice?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

View Quote

Least OP knows how to find if it goes sideways!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

So they ship to you, you ship to me? I have one in the system, gonna be a while though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#18]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

When I pickup my random gun projects from him I’ll check out the process lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys in those states that CA can do this are very lucky. Wish they would get an arrangement with Indiana.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad CA gets a lot of love here. Decided to buy 9th suppressor from them and a little annoyed about the remote consultation session that is required now for e-form bullshit. Know it's not their fault but I don't own a PC so it's a hassle for me. The silencer shop kiosk was definitely the easiest way, feels like we're going backwards.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#21]
So had an RC2 approved recently.  They send a electronic 4473 to fill out online.  They then send that to your Cleo.  Wait 7 days after they receive until they ship.  So it's gonna be about 2 weeks post approval before I get my can.  So that's the big downside.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremywills] [#22]
I can't speak about the to your door services but I happily make the hour to hour and a half drive up from SA to do business with them face to face even though there are closer options available.  Well worth the drive. Even with the shite IH35 traffic.  If your ever in the Austin area you should swing by the shop.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
So had an RC2 approved recently.  They send a electronic 4473 to fill out online.  They then send that to your Cleo.  Wait 7 days after they receive until they ship.  So it's gonna be about 2 weeks post approval before I get my can.  So that's the big downside.
View Quote

I have not submitted a stamp on a can I bought on Black Friday 2021 so that’s not an issue for me lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Falcon09] [#24]
I buy my cans from CA but I'm only 45 minutes from them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By stevelish:

So they ship to you, you ship to me? I have one in the system, gonna be a while though.
View Quote

In a nut shell, yes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:50:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#28]
Can you expand on the 4473 one Joshua?  I'm curious as to that because the FBI already did the background check and authorized the transfer of the device.  
When doing this through my local dealer, I fill out a 4473 but that's where it stops. There is no call for approval or 7 day wait time.  I leave immediately with my suppressor.
Just curious as to why there is the added 7-14 day wait time with the shipping to us?  Again, just trying to understand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't got mine in hand yet, but the order process was fairly low friction.  I have bought them using the SS kiosk and through CA.  If you live near a kiosk, it might be easier.  But if this purchase works out, it will be my go-to method going forward.  I live in BFE so the convenience and avoidance of LGS fuddery is well worth it to me.    

Another big advantage to CA is that you don't have to put on pants to buy a silencer.  I always found that to be such a bother, but the folks at the LGS insist that i cannot shop in my skivvies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you expand on the 4473 one Joshua?  I'm curious as to that because the FBI already did the background check and authorized the transfer of the device.  
When doing this through my local dealer, I fill out a 4473 but that's where it stops. There is no call for approval or 7 day wait time.  I leave immediately with my suppressor.
Just curious as to why there is the added 7-14 day wait time with the shipping to us?  Again, just trying to understand.
View Quote

This is a normal part of an NFA transfer, the 4473 essentially gets created to dispose of the firearm out of your bound book to an individual, but you check box 22 noting that no NICS / state background check was needed because it's already been done through the NFA process.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#32]

This is a normal part of an NFA transfer, the 4473 essentially gets created to dispose of the firearm out of your bound book to an individual, but you check box 22 noting that no NICS / state background check was needed because it's already been done through the NFA process.

View All Quotes

Again I understand the 4473 part, I was wondering on the 7-14 from that takes place to actual shipment.  As that doesn't apply to local pickups.  Just wondering if the extra 7-14 day is more of a cya vs actual law.

Current timeline so far for me:
ATF approved 2/8
4473 Signed 2/8
CLEO notification sent 2/15

So where I'm at atm.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HansohnBrothers] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By A96HondaAccordEX:

What do you mean mail forms back after approval?

I have several pending myself.  The first time, it was so simple. I already had my EFT file. When i called to verify and finished up, I asked the person on the phone, that's it? Lol.

I assume CA notifies you when you're approved right. Not just ship it without notice?
View Quote

It's the 4473 I think. I actually forgot if I mailed or did it electronically but they provided it after my Form4 was approved.

Yes, they did notify me via email it was approved. They can't ship it without the form being filled post approval.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
It's the law for non-over-the-counter 4473; must wait 7 days from the time the CLEO signs for the letter.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/ruling/atf-proc-2020-1-%E2%80%93-recordkeeping-procedure-non-over-counter-firearm/download

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(c)(3), 27 CFR 478.96(b), and 27 CFR 478.124(f), the licensee
must delay shipment or delivery of the firearm for at least seven days following receipt by
the licensee of either the return receipt evidencing delivery of the copy of the Form 4473
to the CLEO, or the return of the copy of the Form 4473 to the licensee due to refusal of
the CLEO to accept the same in accordance with U.S. Postal Service regulations

View All Quotes

Again I understand the 4473 part, I was wondering on the 7-14 from that takes place to actual shipment.  As that doesn't apply to local pickups.  Just wondering if the extra 7-14 day is more of a cya vs actual law.
It's the law for non-over-the-counter 4473; must wait 7 days from the time the CLEO signs for the letter.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/ruling/atf-proc-2020-1-%E2%80%93-recordkeeping-procedure-non-over-counter-firearm/download

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(c)(3), 27 CFR 478.96(b), and 27 CFR 478.124(f), the licensee
must delay shipment or delivery of the firearm for at least seven days following receipt by
the licensee of either the return receipt evidencing delivery of the copy of the Form 4473
to the CLEO, or the return of the copy of the Form 4473 to the licensee due to refusal of
the CLEO to accept the same in accordance with U.S. Postal Service regulations

Is that the same for someone that was doing it directly with you in store?  So approval happens today.  The person comes in and fills out the 4473, they have to come back 7+ days later to get their suppressor?
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#38]
No, the there is no CLEO notification and wait for 4473 when completed in the store.  The CLEO notification and 7 day wait is only for non-over-the-counter sales.
View All Quotes

Is that the same for someone that was doing it directly with you in store?  So approval happens today.  The person comes in and fills out the 4473, they have to come back 7+ days later to get their suppressor?
No, the there is no CLEO notification and wait for 4473 when completed in the store.  The CLEO notification and 7 day wait is only for non-over-the-counter sales.

Ok.  thats where my confusion was.  Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Joshua_CapitolArmory:
We've had our FFL in Indiana for quite a while now.  

View Quote

No shit. Why didn't l know this. Ok. Will be calling you guys soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I've been tagging along with this thread as I just ordered my 1st suppressor from CA.  I'm about 45 minutes away so I'm planning to pick this one up when it's ready. Maybe in the future I'll try the ship to home.

As to the above comments about phone call and such I did it today as required to certify the eform. As long as you follow their instructions in their emails it's pretty simple and only took a couple of minutes.  I hadn't been on the eforms site in over 8 years so I logged on in advance  to check my account and create my PIN that wasn't a thing back then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
You guys in those states that CA can do this are very lucky. Wish they would get an arrangement with Indiana.

We've had our FFL in Indiana for quite a while now.

Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
No shit. Why didn't l know this. Ok. Will be calling you guys soon.
View Quote
Merry Christmas!

And God save your credit card.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Regarding the 4473, every transfer of a firearm from a dealer requires one.  Period.  If not completed properly, one mistake can cost the dealer their license.  The ATF is on a witch hunt since Biden blabbered about zero tolerance for "rogue gun dealers."   If a 4473 isn't done in a fashion that allows for lawful transfers, no transfer will happen.  For more details reading the specifics, you can consult ATF proc 2020-1.  7-day wait post CLEO acceptance is federal law for non-over-the-counter transactions.  

(Take note about how much I'm stressing doing a 4473 properly is paramount to receiving an item- and this is from ANY dealer.)

View Quote

Do you guys have a dealer in AZ?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Regarding the 4473, every transfer of a firearm from a dealer requires one.  Period.  If not completed properly, one mistake can cost the dealer their license.  The ATF is on a witch hunt since Biden blabbered about zero tolerance for "rogue gun dealers."   If a 4473 isn't done in a fashion that allows for lawful transfers, no transfer will happen.  For more details reading the specifics, you can consult ATF proc 2020-1.  7-day wait post CLEO acceptance is federal law for non-over-the-counter transactions.  

(Take note about how much I'm stressing doing a 4473 properly is paramount to receiving an item- and this is from ANY dealer.)

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By playinARound:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By playinARound:

Does not look like it currently:
https://www.capitolarmory.com/support/how-to-buy-a-suppressor-online.html

If you are a customer in Texas, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, or Wyoming we have you covered from beginning to end. For all other states, don't worry, we have FFLs pending and will be able to handle the entire process shortly.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Got my first CA can approved today. We shall see how this process goes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By dillhole:
Got my first CA can approved today. We shall see how this process goes.
View Quote

Mine updated again.  Pending Notice to proceed status went away yesterday.  I'm assuming mine should ship soon.

ATF approved 2/8
4473 Signed 2/8
Notice to Proceed Went Away: 2/27
Shipping ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Mine updated again.  Pending Notice to proceed status went away yesterday.  I'm assuming mine should ship soon.

ATF approved 2/8
4473 Signed 2/8
Notice to Proceed Went Away: 2/27
Shipping ?
View Quote

I hope it arrives before Saturday!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#49]

I have not submitted a stamp on a can I bought on Black Friday 2021 so that’s not an issue for me lol
View All Quotes

Same here. I need to make it down to ECCO
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I've only purchased a few cans, but I was always told I had to do the background check even though it went through the NFA approval, which should be much more than just the background check. Is that just a matter of shops not knowing any better?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top