Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2023 11:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG]
On another forum people are arguing over wether a felon can own a muzzle loader. Somebody said the law changed federally around 2005 and that it's now illegal for felons to own a muzzle loader. I've never heard of that.
(To be clear, I'm not a felon)
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Federally? As far as I know - yes.

State laws vary with some being fine and some counting loaded muzzleloaders as firearms for the purposes of "prohibited persons". At least one counts all muzzleloaders and airguns as firearms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Not the best source of legal advice, but the ATF says yes: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-person-prohibited-law-possessing-firearm-own-black-powder-firearm

Note on the state level it's far less certain.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
On the Federal level yes.

As long as it doesn't use primers used in firearms ammunition such as a small rifle or 209 Shotgun primer.

It has to use flintlock, matchlock, or #10 or #11 caps for ignition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Texas says yes. Not sure about concealed carry though. I want to say that's a no-go but I can't recall what the code said on that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Maine requires a state license for a felon to own a muzzleloader.
https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/Prohibited-Person-Black-Powder-Permit-Application.pdf
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]

All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up drive-by.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Not in NY. They could up until a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I know a few guys who are Felons and only own Air rifles (those big bore, scuba tank charged ones) and black powder as they say according to their Parole officer that what they can legally own.

I would not argue it, but that what they told me and what I've always heard.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a muzzle loader.

It is 100 to 130 years old.

Come get it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

As long as it doesn't use primers used in firearms ammunition such as a small rifle or 209 Shotgun primer.

View Quote

Where does it say that?

In that link to the ATF I notice it says felons can NOT possess black powder guns that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by swapping barrels or breeches, so I guess revolvers would be out.
ETA: meant to say can NOT posses
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AASG:

Where does it say that?

In that link to the ATF I notice it says felons can possess black powder guns that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by swapping barrels or breeches, so I guess revolvers would be out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AASG:
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

Where does it say that?

In that link to the ATF I notice it says felons can possess black powder guns that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by swapping barrels or breeches, so I guess revolvers would be out.

I don't think a prohibited person can possess ammo either. Primers must be considered to be ammo. I don't know about that but I'd damn sure find out before buying if it affected me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Be careful as owning black powder is considered owning an explosive in some states and is illegal for prohibited people.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The Federal definition of "firearm" is different from many State-specific definitions of "weapon" when it comes to Felons .......
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Cant in WI.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]
My cop buddy says felons in his neck of the woods have been flexing with crossbows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top