Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2024 5:27:30 PM EDT
I just filed an eForm 1 for a .22lr SBR. The lower is engraved 5.56mm from the manufacturer. The barrel will be fully covered by the handguard. Is this laser engraving on the upper good enough, or do I need to engrave .22lr on the lower along with my name and location? There isn't much depth to it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need to engrave anything but name/trust and city/state.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Just name city and state.My lower is multi thats all that was put on form.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Book states that the serial# needs to be on the receiver.

Model, caliber and maker info it can be on the barrel, frame receiver or slide.
I'd say your good to go with the markings on the upper for caliber. I assume the model info is already on the lower so you just need to add your maker info, I prefer the lower for location myself.

Can the caliber markings on the barrel be seen at all thru the HG or are they totally obscured to the point you'd have to remove the HG to see them? If they can be seen without disassembly that's good enough as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
Just name city and state.My lower is multi thats all that was put on form.
View Quote
You got an approval with "multi" listed as caliber?

Unless something changed recently,  the examiner done F'd up...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By shultz:

I'd say your good to go with the markings on the upper for caliber. I assume the model info is already on the lower so you just need to add your maker info, I prefer the lower for location myself.

Can the caliber markings on the barrel be seen at all thru the HG or are they totally obscured to the point you'd have to remove the HG to see them?
If they can be seen without disassembly that's good enough as well.
View Quote

There's no caliber marking on the barrel. That's a good idea though. I'll bring the barrel when I get the lower engraved and have him put 22lr in a spot where it can be seen through one of the cutouts in the handguard. Thanks.

I can barely feel the engraving on the upper when dragging a fingernail across it so I don't think it's .003 deep.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#6]

View Quote
My lower has multi printed on it. The paperwork says 5.56. Only place the caliber is listed is on the barrel under the handguard.

From what I understood the caliber needed to be on the form.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
My lower has multi printed on it. The paperwork says 5.56. Only place the caliber is listed is on the barrel under the handguard.

From what I understood the caliber needed to be on the form.
View Quote
Ah, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shultz] [#8]
Originally Posted By eric496:

There's no caliber marking on the barrel. That's a good idea though. I'll bring the barrel when I get the lower engraved and have him put 22lr in a spot where it can be seen through one of the cutouts in the handguard. Thanks.

I can barely feel the engraving on the upper when dragging a fingernail across it so I don't think it's .003 deep.
View Quote
Ah, yeah if that engraving dosen't  meet the requirement then it's a nogo sadly.
Edit:
Since your having the barrel engraved, does any portion stick outside the HG? If yes, have it done there. CMMG for instance engraved the caliber right behind the muzzle threads so in most cases its easily visible.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, yeah if that engraving dosen't  meet the requirement then it's a nogo sadly.
Edit:
Since your having the barrel engraved, does any portion stick outside the HG? If yes, have it done there. CMMG for instance engraved the caliber right behind the muzzle threads so in most cases its easily visible.
View Quote

Nope, 6" barrel and 7" handguard. There's some large cutouts in the handguard though. The barrel should work.

My 12.5" 6.8 has the engraving right behind the the muzzle threads for that reason too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#10]

Nope, 6" barrel and 7" handguard. There's some large cutouts in the handguard though. The barrel should work.

My 12.5" 6.8 has the engraving right behind the the muzzle threads for that reason too.
View Quote
For what it's worth, there's lots of factory SBRs that will only have the caliber engraved under the handguard. For instance a Daniel Defense MK18 or RIS III. You've got a 10.3" barrel with a 9.5" handguard, or 11.5" barrel with 10.5" handguard and the marking is between the barrel nut and gas block.

Their lowers are marked multi.

Edit: same for BCM.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shultz] [#11]

View Quote
Pretty much the same for mine, 4.5" barrel under 7"HG. The existing in my case 22lr caliber marking on the barrel can be seen thru one of the HG cutouts so good enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
479.102(a)(2)

By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

i.The model, if such designation has been made;

ii.The caliber or gauge;
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By muniti:
479.102(a)(2)

By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

i.The model, if such designation has been made;

ii.The caliber or gauge;
View Quote

This

Doesn't hurt to put on receiver

One of mine is marked "multi" but paper work is 22 caliber
And that's what's engraved
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Book"? If referring to the NFA Handbook you shouldn't be because it was last updated in 2009 and the information is incorrect.

Not any longer.
"Maker" must be marked on the firearm frame or receiver. Barrel or slide is not acceptable.
See § 479.102 Identification of firearms.

Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture markings may be placed on the frame, receiver, barrel or slide.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
You don't need to engrave anything but name/trust and city/state.
View Quote

NFA Firearms are required to have a caliber.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I just checked mine did have 5.56 listed on form. I know lower is marked multi though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

NFA Firearms are required to have a caliber.
View Quote
Yes, but unless someone is registering an 80% lower, the caliber is usually on the barrel. I have never before this thread seen anyone recommend engraving it on the lower (assuming it says multi or doesn't match the barrel/Form 1), just because it is covered by a rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top