Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2024 7:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tree-hugger]
New-to-me gun and have a few questions.

First, will I need to take the choke tube out before loading?  ( Obviously remember to put the tube back in prior to shooting )

Second, can I use a typical reloading shotshell wad like this:
Attachment Attached File

Third, then just use an overshot wad like this.

Last, does the overshot wad mess with the pattern at all???

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
No need to remove choke. Just bend the over cards and push down.

I have not used a plastic wad.

I use an over powder card and over shot card.  

I find that making packets of shot works best.

I use brown paper bags and roll a tube that I tape shut one end then fill with shot, then tape shut.

You will need to play around with powder loads and shit weight to find a good pattern.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#2]
@tree-hugger

You can use the shot cup, but should use an over powder wad regardless to ensure your BP load gets fully compressed.

BP has to be fully compressed, unlike smokeless powder, to function right and not be a bomb.

You'll probably find that using a shot cup with BP makes lousy patterns. Using a pre-measured charge like @vatopa described above works really well and the paper helps seal the bore.

As for the over shot card, they generally disintegrate and don't cause issues with the pattern.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
OR, you could just use newspaper for over powder and over shot.  Experiment to see how big a bunch of it you want.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic feedback you guys.

Thank you.

It was my brother's Father-In-Law's gun.  We talked a whole bunch about guns, hunts, etc. in the days following my brother's passing.  He showed me a ton of pics of his group throwing deer over the tanks of their dirt bikes when they hunted out west.

But I never knew he had this CVA and two barrels.
His possibles bag had a handwritten notation on a 16oz. Goex Black Powder can of FFFg showing to use 90gr under 348Gr PowerBelts for the .50cal barrel.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I had issues with wads with a “cushion” section like pictured in my Knight TK2000. BPI sells wads that don’t have it and they work good.

For overshot cards I just took a straight 3/4 copper water pipe fitting and sharpened the edge on one end using a bench grinder. I used this like a cookie cutter to cut disks from styrofoam egg cartons or meat trays. Fit perfect and they’ll stay put even hiking around during Turkey season.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
OR, you could just use newspaper for over powder and over shot.  Experiment to see how big a bunch of it you want.
View Quote
Can't that be a fire hazard?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a tacked post on the muzzle loading forum that many have used with good results.

Sky chief load

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vatopa] [#8]
Op,

You have a rare firearm there.  CVA made this combo set for I believe New Hampshire ( maybe Vermont) hunters back in the 70s.  

This is exactly what I have.

As for loads, generally you use equal volumes of powder and shot. For example.

For 12 ga.

1-1/8 oz shot and 76 grains powder by volume.

1-1/4 shot and 82-89 grains by volume.

2f powder.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vatopa:
Op,

You have a rare firearm there.  CVA made this combo set for I believe New Hampshire ( maybe Vermont) hunters back in the 70s.  

This is exactly what I have.

As for loads, generally you use equal volumes of powder and shot. For example.

For 12 ga.

1-1/8 oz shot and 76 grains powder by volume.

1-1/4 shot and 82-89 grains by volume.

2f powder.

View Quote

This close to what i shoot in my cva double barrel..

Wads...

The wads-c is what i have used  1 on bottom and one over the shot..

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/170/1/WAD-06-B

Dont use plastic shotgun wads for plastic smokeless powder shells.. They don't pattern well.

CVA use to have a special plastic wad for there BP shotguns.. brown color.. with a very thin white over the shot wad..

I used them for pheasant hunting over a GSP. It was a little faster reload than the two wads method listed above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top