Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 7:04:07 PM EDT
Just want to make sure I'm tracking on the process, this is my first.

I submitted an Eform 1 and it was approved. Does the ATF send the CLEO notification to them, or is it incumbent on the submitter (me) to do so? If it's my obligation, do I need to send the entire approved form 1, or just the CLEO page with their name/address info on it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It's incumbent upon you to do so, but you're supposed to notify the CLEO right after you submit, not after you've been approved. At this point, I'd suggest just sending in the CLEO copy of the Submitted version of the form, which you should have received via email once your Form 1 was accepted.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grondike:
It's incumbent upon you to do so, but you're supposed to notify the CLEO right after you submit, not after you've been approved. At this point, I'd suggest just sending in the CLEO copy of the Submitted version of the form, which you should have received via email once your Form 1 was accepted.
View Quote

Gotcha, I just submitted Friday and have been traveling since. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Whiskeygunner:

Gotcha, I just submitted Friday and have been traveling since. Thanks for the heads up!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grondike:

After replying, I wondered if that might be the case with the quick turnaround on eForms. It's likely that they might not have received it yet even if you mailed it on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I include a note on a post-it stating this letter has no retention requirements and up to their discretion to discard as they see fit.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#5]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've sent mine months later when I got around to it. With the new turnaround times, I would do it sooner rather than later.

The State Police used to get mad at me, sometimes send them back. They haven't for the last few years, though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:08:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gt3stuntman] [#7]
I just email my local sheriff. They never write back, but I assume they’ve been notified. Not going to waste paper or postage if they aren’t specific about the method of notification.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Dropped it off today, what an unique experience that was. The "officer" who took it from me didn't know what the form was, but said he would give it to the officer who handles them for entry. When I stated there was no entry or action required on it, it's just a notification, he got quite defensive. He then told me I would be facing a 25 year felony if I was caught in possession of my M203 that the ATF approved. Definitely not the experience I had anticipated.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:58:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#9]
Dropped it off today, what an unique experience that was. The "officer" who took it from me didn't know what the form was, but said he would give it to the officer who handles them for entry. When I stated there was no entry or action required on it, it's just a notification, he got quite defensive. He then told me I would be facing a 25 year felony if I was caught in possession of my M203 that the ATF approved. Definitely not the experience I had anticipated.
View Quote

Why on Earth did you go in person at all?  There is no upside to an LEO conversation on this topic.  Send them a letter.  Scan a .pdf of the letter, and the stamped envelope for your records.  Drop it off in the mail and you're done.

I suppose a scanned email might work, and be even easier today - as it might just get purged by their spam-bot.  Donno.  Not your problem, and nobody cares.  It's an archaic requirement from a former world where people did records by paper.  If someone wants to know who has what, the digital cloud systems they have now will tell them.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Oof. This is why I hate the notification requirement. It serves no purpose other than to raise your hand for some idiot, who knows nothing about this, to get riled up and start poking around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Sounds like a perfect candidate to work the counter at your LGS.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Why on Earth did you go in person at all?  There is no upside to an LEO conversation on this topic.  Send them a letter.  Scan a .pdf of the letter, and the stamped envelope for your records.  Drop it off in the mail and you're done.

I suppose a scanned email might work, and be even easier today - as it might just get purged by their spam-bot.  Donno.  Not your problem, and nobody cares.  It's an archaic requirement from a former world where people did records by paper.  If someone wants to know who has what, the digital cloud systems they have now will tell them.

View All Quotes

Definitely lesson learned on this one. I anticipated not being the first person to submit a form 1 here, but maybe I'm wrong. I work with this agency from time to time (firefighter) and expected a different experience. Definitely not the case. The next one will be mailed and that's that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Sadly accurate!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:

Oof. This is why I hate the notification requirement. It serves no purpose other than to raise your hand for some idiot, who knows nothing about this, to get riled up and start poking around.
View Quote

At least it’s not CLEO *approval* anymore. That’s why I went the trust route. Don’t need another person telling me what I can or can’t do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gt3stuntman:

At least it’s not CLEO *approval* anymore. That’s why I went the trust route. Don’t need another person telling me what I can or can’t do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:

Doesn't work that way anymore.  Trust route today IMHO is more of a PITA and cost, today, than it's worth for most people, unless they have family members who also need independant access (and actually do).  JMHO - and not a popular one even.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Doesn't work that way anymore.  Trust route today IMHO is more of a PITA and cost, today, than it's worth for most people, unless they have family members who also need independant access (and actually do).  JMHO - and not a popular one even.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t recommend it now. Especially with how slow they’re approving trust-based eForms now.

I got in before 41F when it was the easier option, and got around all the fingerprint, photo and sign-off stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

The part that gives me pause is ‘but said he would give it to the officer who handles them for entry

I didn’t think local keo kept track of that type of data - silly me i suppose
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

The part that gives me pause is ‘but said he would give it to the officer who handles them for entry

I didn’t think local keo kept track of that type of data - silly me i suppose
View Quote

I'm in Illinois. I assume they giggle with glee as they add all that data to whatever database they can.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

$25 bucks and exactly the same amount of paperwork for a Single Shot Trust vs Individuual.
Hardly a PITA and the reason the overwhelming majority of my NFA customers use it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t recommend it now. Especially with how slow they’re approving trust-based eForms now.

I got in before 41F when it was the easier option, and got around all the fingerprint, photo and sign-off stuff.
View Quote

I've seen little difference in Individual vs Single Shot since January.
Individual vs Traditional Trusts with multiple RP's? No question they are taking longer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

$25 bucks and exactly the same amount of paperwork for a Single Shot Trust vs Individuual.
Hardly a PITA and the reason the overwhelming majority of my NFA customers use it.
View All Quotes

To each their own.  I personally see no advantage and the complication of adding an additional 3rd legal entity, by going trust route, in my world.  For those who have multiple people who want and will use independant access, that's another matter.  I don't know anyone on a trust who actually does that - but some do I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]

I've seen little difference in Individual vs Single Shot since January.
Individual vs Traditional Trusts with multiple RP's? No question they are taking longer.
View Quote

How does Single Shot differ from Traditional? Some pre-approved wording hashed out between ATF and Silencer Shop? I’m the only RP on my trust.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#23]

How does Single Shot differ from Traditional? Some pre-approved wording hashed out between ATF and Silencer Shop? I’m the only RP on my trust.
View Quote

The trust language is nearly identical. The difference is price and how you go about adding members to your trust. If you are the only RP on your existing trust then it is no different.

"Traditional" NFA trusts often have multiple members. Meaning everyone on that trust at the time of submission that is considered a "responsible person" must submit fingerprints, photo, RP questionnaire and pass the FBI background check. The more RP's on the trust increases processing time and the likelihood that someone gets delayed or denied and the Form denied.

A "Single Shot" trust is a trust submitted for one firearm and with only one RP. After approval you can add as many members to that trust as desired....no photos/prints/etc, no background checks, no notification to ATF. Its just a trust with one RP.

Comparison of trusts
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I gotcha. Sounds like I need to reach out to ATF and ask what gives for my currently pending eForm 4.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#25]

To each their own.  I personally see no advantage and the complication of adding an additional 3rd legal entity, by going trust route, in my world.  For those who have multiple people who want and will use independant access, that's another matter.  I don't know anyone on a trust who actually does that - but some do I'm sure.
View All Quotes

I agree.

I thought back over the previous 20 years, and if a trust vs individual would have been of any benefit to me (changes in laws notwithstanding), and the answer is "no."
Looking forward to the next 20+ years, I considered if I anticipate any changes where a trust would suddenly be more beneficial, and the answer is "no."

With that in mind, I filed as an individual and bought ammo with the money I saved...and very likely received approval sooner than I would have otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
@Whiskeygunner what city are you in?

I'm in Westland. I mail my Form 1s CLEO copy in to the PD addressed to the Police chief with a copy of the RI-60 registering them as pistols (nicely cute out with scrapbook boarder scissors) and I'm curious what they think of me.

Had an issue with the lady at the front counter of the PD 18 years ago when I moved up here. Went to pick up the Pistol Purchase forms to register my handguns that I moved here with. When she handed me the forms she then told me to "go home and fill them out". I asked her why I needed to go home. She said I would be breaking the law to be in possession of non-registered handguns without the purchase permits. Ug.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
@Whiskeygunner what city are you in?

I'm in Westland. I mail my Form 1s CLEO copy in to the PD addressed to the Police chief with a copy of the RI-60 registering them as pistols (nicely cute out with scrapbook boarder scissors) and I'm curious what they think of me.

Had an issue with the lady at the front counter of the PD 18 years ago when I moved up here. Went to pick up the Pistol Purchase forms to register my handguns that I moved here with. When she handed me the forms she then told me to "go home and fill them out". I asked her why I needed to go home. She said I would be breaking the law to be in possession of non-registered handguns without the purchase permits. Ug.....
View Quote

@243savage, I'm in Lenawee County. Most of the officers in our local PD are former Wayne County officers; that's where Mr. personality himself came from in the above discourse.
Top Top