Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2023 11:44:08 PM EDT
I know Carlson's makes a 14" barrel for the 509, but I'm after a threaded 14" barrel. Any options or just stick with sending it out to be cut & threaded?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a 15-1/4” barrel as measured from the front of the (closed) bolt face.

(Had it cut down from a 20” barrel).

The overall length of the barrel is 16-3/8”

Mossberg 500A 12 GA

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious why you'd want to thread a shotgun barrel.  For one thing, there is very little metal to thread at the muzzle.   For another, unless you are extremely lucky and that muzzle diameter just happens to match the diameter of whatever you want to put on there, you're not going to match anything up anyway.   Perhaps consider something with a slip fit and welded or JB Welded; skip all the threading.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:  I'm curious why you'd want to thread a shotgun barrel.  For one thing, there is very little metal to thread at the muzzle.   For another, unless you are extremely lucky and that muzzle diameter just happens to match the diameter of whatever you want to put on there, you're not going to match anything up anyway.   Perhaps consider something with a slip fit and welded or JB Welded; skip all the threading.
View Quote

I presume he's talking about having it threaded for choke tubes - Briley is your answer, OP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I presume he's talking about having it threaded for choke tubes - Briley is your answer, OP.
View Quote
You're probably right.   I was picturing external threading.  For me, half the reason behind a shorter barrel is the greater spread at close range.   Not sure why someone would put chokes in a SBS.   Perhaps for easier carry/handling, but to reach out further?   But yeah, Briley is your guy for choke tubes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:

You're probably right.   I was picturing external threading.  For me, half the reason behind a shorter barrel is the greater spread at close range.   Not sure why someone would put chokes in a SBS.   Perhaps for easier carry/handling, but to reach out further?   But yeah, Briley is your guy for choke tubes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  I presume he's talking about having it threaded for choke tubes - Briley is your answer, OP.

Why not reach out further w/ an SBS?  If you want more spread, get a duckbill choke - and then I think you will need external threads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Maybe he wants to mount a Salvo Suppressor on the end of the barrel. These use an adapter/connector that utilize the barrel's internal choke tube thread. Those are getting quite popular, but on a long barrel they are a little unhandy
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

Several of us had our shorties threaded for chokes and hunt with them. Onr of many reasons.

Guncat will do the threading, reasonable price and quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PRasko] [#8]
I sent off a pair of barrels, one of which was 14" to have threaded for chokes and forcing cone lengthened.

The forcing cone lengthening polishing helped the 9 pellet flyer.

Carlsons did them both.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I'm old and my shoulders are shit. This and a new buttpad made dramatic improvements to felt recoil.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PRasko:

I'm old and my shoulders are shit. This and a new buttpad made dramatic improvements to felt recoil.

https://www.choketube.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/84010-tactical-muzzle-brake-winchester-cylinder.jpg
View Quote

Still in jail, but I'll be running a can on mine. Also still waiting on my form 1 approval. Going on months for both so far...
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Mine qill be threaded so I can run th VersaX can that's stil in jail
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher: I presume he's talking about having it threaded for choke tubes - Briley is your answer, OP.

Just reread this - do you get a larger spread at close range from a shorter barrel, or is that just Hollywood?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Just reread this - do you get a larger spread at close range from a shorter barrel, or is that just Hollywood?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher: I presume he's talking about having it threaded for choke tubes - Briley is your answer, OP.

Mostly Hollywood. The choke decides your spread, not the barrel length. Cutting the barrel short means you lose whatever choke it's set up for, do larger spread.

When you have the barrel threaded after cutting you can reinstall chokes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top