Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:56 AM EDT
New to air rifles. Getting a Benjamin Marauder in .25 mainly for squirrels.
Overwhelmed with all the different styles of pellets.

Is there a specific shape I should get for squirrels specifically?
Recommendations on brands? (made in USA would be a huge plus but it doesn't seem like there is much of that other than Crosman)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using RWS "Superdome" pellets for years in my RWS Diana. They seem to hit like little cannon balls, more effective than .22 long rifle, even.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Start buying different brands and weights and see how your groups are and go from there. My .25 groups well with H&N hornets so that's what I use for pretty much everything. They do a good job on grey squirrels, I'm sure there are better hunting rounds to use, I need to buy a few more tins to play with when the weather breaks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
All the fancy shapes are just gimmicks to sell pellets to folks much like you.  However, those of us with a bit of experience will tell you that the round domed pellets are just fine, and shoot better.  Shot placement is more important when dealing with airgun velocities, and domed pellets do better at that. If the Crosman premier pellets shoot well enough, and made in USA is important, then go with them. Otherwise, I'd go with either JSB Kings or H&N FT Trophies.  Be aware that the velocity label on the H&N pellets should be followed.  Fortunately, the Marauder makes it easy to tune to any level you desire.  

Just for reference, in England, most airgun hunting is done with airguns that produce no more than 12 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.  Rabbits are a common critter and these are often taken in excess of 50 yards.  So, don't worry about the velocity of the H&N pellets seeming to be too slow, they will kill squirrels just fine, especially in .25 caliber.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the don’t worry about the shape. Domed or wad cutter style will work just fine. Look for accuracy. And if you want to stretch things a bit try the slugs. JSB RWS Crossman and some Gamo seem to all shoot good. H&N is hard to get here you pretty much have to order them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Domes FTW.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty much anything in my 25 will kill a squirrel if I do my part. Get a few Tim's and sew what yours likes and go from there
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I agree with the don’t worry about the shape. Domed or wad cutter style will work just fine. Look for accuracy. And if you want to stretch things a bit try the slugs. JSB RWS Crossman and some Gamo seem to all shoot good. H&N is hard to get here you pretty much have to order them.
View Quote

I know what you mean, I rarely see .25 in the local gun stores of I do o usually pick up some
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Semi or bolt marauder OP? Lookin at gettin one too. Where you thinkin bout buyin from? I got the itch!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Crow Magnum or Hades are devastating.....makes a huge smacking noise when they hit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#11]
JSB Hades
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By motopix:
JSB Hades
View Quote

Yeah no complaints with these.  Dome gets it done as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top