Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2023 12:31:39 AM EDT
Stupid question

Anyone try using liquid lanolin/97% isopropyl spray (Dillion case lube) as a BP cleaner?

I have big ol spray bottle sitting and wondered if it would work like using windex to clean up salts and residue while adding some rust protection.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:41:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#1]
You really want water to dissolve the salts.  The alcohol will evaporate quickly making a sticky mess out of the salts, carbon, and lube you just added to the mix.  Simple water is close to the best you can get.  I use the solution recommended by Mike Venturino and have found it effective enough I haven't searched for other options. A 22oz. spray bottle of Windex with VINEGAR in a gallon jug and fill the rest with water.  (i.e. A very weak Windex solution.)  It has just enough "soap" and wetting agents added to water to quickly clean BP fouling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need windex or vinegar to clean with. Plain water works perfectly. I use boiling or near boiling water and have for over 40 years. For lube I'll leave that up to you, everyone has their own thing. I use only what was documented in the 18th century and have never had any issues and it gets super humid here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lexington1775:
You don't need windex or vinegar to clean with. Plain water works perfectly. I use boiling or near boiling water and have for over 40 years. For lube I'll leave that up to you, everyone has their own thing. I use only what was documented in the 18th century and have never had any issues and it gets super humid here.
View Quote

The only reason I believe the Windex solution is better than water is the wetting agent and grease/oil cutting ability to get through the residual lube to the fouling below while at room temperature. It is a very dilute solution when mixed as stated above.  The only reason "with vinegar" is specified is to avoid the ammonia. That said, you are doing it the traditional way that worked for hundreds of years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Ballistol for cleaning BP guns and also if you happen to have any Nickel plated guns,

avoid solvents (such as Hoppes) if will cause the Nickel plaiting to  flake off.

I found that out the hard way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Plain water works wonders. No real need to even get it hot. Ballistol is also good, but does add cost.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Plain water works wonders. No real need to even get it hot. Ballistol is also good, but does add cost.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I use water but when I git fancy it's Ballistol cut with water.

Now, if I don't want to use Ballistol, it's home made Moose Milk:

1/3 Murphy Oil Soap
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide
1/3 H20.

Cheap!
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of Armi Sport muskets- in their cleaning instructions they say to never use lanolin for cleaning/ oiling. I don’t know why, but there are so many other choices I feel no need to try it. I use Ballistol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#9]
Lately I've been using Birchwood Casey Muzzle Magic: link

Seems to work better or at least equal to Ballistol as a patch lube and a cleaner; and my local gun store carries it.

ETA: smells WAY better than Ballistol...
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I like a little dawn and room temp water follow by a clean water rinse. Dry out and lube of your choice. I am impressed with
my cannon for the bore protection by using ATF. It did a good job of stopping the rust and eventually having a bore shinny. I do run
dry paper towels before shooting to remove any ATF.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#11]
As mentioned,water, Ballistol, dawn, all will work well.

I usually go muzzle end down in a plastic coffee can filled with water and some ballistol, tight patch. Swab well. Dump, straight hot water so it evaporates quickly and repeat. Lube as needed when done, make sure to clean striker/nipple/etc with toothbrush and pick.

This is with inlines obviously.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top