Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/3/2024 4:15:30 PM EDT
Looking for a axe or tomahawk with a good edge and an impact/hammer on the other side of the head.  This will mainly be used for keeping for 'just in case'.  I like the look of the more 'tactical' models and a good sheath is a must.  Over 12" but less than 24".  Not opposed to spending some coin, maybe around $300?  I figure every man should have something like this and my basic wood hatchet just doesn't rustle the jimmies.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Ray Mears - Choosing and using an axe, Bushcraft Survival

Choosing a Gränsfors Carving Axe
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I would have said a Gransfors Carpenters axe. I love mine. Not tactical though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 4:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: texashark] [#3]
Estwing Axe

Sorry, it's 26" but I think they are cool.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Husqvarna carpenter's axe.  I worked on the bevels quite a bit when I got it, and it's the sweetest cutting axe I've ever used.  They're not easy to find, but they're under $100 usually.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Look up shingle hatchet or sometimes called a roofers hammer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Carpenter hatchet
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#7]
I have a Gransfors Bruks felling axe, but for kicking around tool this one is a good buy.  I picked up a 75' choker and the seller said here take this too.  A little sanding on the handle just below the head, and I didn't even have to rehang it.  Full length is 19"

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had good luck with the CRKT tomahawks. They do take some work out of the box, just be aware of that. But they take a great edge if you work on them. Relatively easy to sharpen in the field is nice for me because I abuse it like a cheap toy. Which for me it really is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#9]
I have a True Temper Tommy/Axe.  Hardened poll and has a nice nail puller too. You can find em on Ebay.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Council Tool Flying Fox  
4" blade, hardened poll, good thrower, 16" and 22" handles as well as straight or curved handles available.
Less than $100
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: streetstar] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By texashark:
Estwing Axe

View Quote

That looks perfect to buy and keep in the truck to actually use !

Then buy one of these to hang over your desk while you sip boutique whiskey and shoot your YouTube videos and podcasts to show that you are the modern reincarnation of Thor

mg]Designer Tomahawk
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold Steel; they work and they're cheap and easy enough to mod to your heart's content.  You'll have to either make your own sheath or buy one though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#14]
Originally Posted By Wattles:
Thanks for the replies!
View Quote

@Wattles, another option is the Oknife (yes, subsidiary of Olight, Chinese-made)

Okay, I have a few high-end hawks (a couple RMJs, Toor, Winkler, ATC…), but on a whim and a review from someone I know, I picked up the this OKNIFE Otacle A1 Multifunctional Hatchet

I’ve done a little chopping with it, but so far, for the price, it’s replaced my Gerber Downrange hawk in my truck/get-home-bag tool. I have a Fiskars axe in my truck’s toolbox, but it’s a full-size axe. This is a decent, compact breaching tool with a pretty solid sheath.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Estwing Axe

View Quote

I have a shorter leather stacked version. I think it hits the sweet spot between cool, usable, durable, not expensive. I'll hit it with some rattle cans sooner or later...
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:51:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#16]
I have a CRKT Hawk (tactical Chogan, maybe?) that rides everywhere with me. Honestly, a good quality hatchet is probably more useful and versatile.

If I were buying today, it would be a Jenny Wren.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

@Wattles, another option is the Oknife (yes, subsidiary of Olight, Chinese-made)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61wM7Q6fZ-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Okay, I have a few high-end hawks (a couple RMJs, Toor, Winkler, ATC…), but on a whim and a review from someone I know, I picked up the this OKNIFE Otacle A1 Multifunctional Hatchet

I’ve done a little chopping with it, but so far, for the price, it’s replaced my Gerber Downrange hawk in my truck/get-home-bag tool. I have a Fiskars axe in my truck’s toolbox, but it’s a full-size axe. This is a decent, compact breaching tool with a pretty solid sheath.

ROCK6
View Quote

High praise coming from you @ROCK6. Why do you like it better than the Gerber?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61wM7Q6fZ-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

ROCK6

This.

I absolutely have used the hell out of my Downrange, and have zero complaints.

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#19]
View Quote

It's cheaper to leave in the truck The Downrange is a well-designed breaching tool/axe and likely more robust (better material, QA/QC), but for the price the cheaper Oknife hatchet/hawk isn't a bad backup or something to keep in your truck/get-home bag.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk is my trunk/truck hawk.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#21]
This thing has a scary sharp edge on it. There's also a longer/larger model, too.

Amazon Product
  • MULTI-USE HATCHET: Sharp blade hatchet is an ideal kindling splitter for outside by the firepit, while camping, hiking, or spending time outdoors; Chops deeper with each swing to get more done faster

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 2:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brachiosaur] [#22]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Cold Steel; they work and they're cheap and easy enough to mod to your heart's content.  You'll have to either make your own sheath or buy one though.
View Quote

I have like 5 Trail Hawks, 1 Pipe Hawk, 1 30" Viking axe and 2 Trail Bosses. A Trail Hawk cut down to 14" with the OEM sheath sits in my passenger rear seat pouch for 'extraction use'. I drove my boss and his wife home and she was like wtf dude. 🤣 Trying different length handles on different heads is fun.
I also usually keep a Trail Boss under my suburban's 2nd row flap cover but should get a cover for it, I want to add a small shovel there as well (need to measure to see what will fit). I've used both somewhat heavily and they work fine though the CS hawks usually need some work.

-remove the screw and toss it
-take a file to the inside of the eye, I do both top and bottom
-clean up the mess at the top of the handle, sand and stain the handle if you like, I wrap them with grip tape
-supposedly they no longer come with the heads painted so that's nice
-thin out the edge
-the OEM sheaths are ok and like 5 bucks
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:44:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#23]
Honestly, Estwing with the leather handle is best bang for the buck. Paint it black for that fresh tactical vibe.

Fiskers X7 is a rock solid choice as well. Get the N7 sheath!

If you want to bump up to some coin then a used RMJ loggerhead would be a find or a Helm grind woodsman.

If you want something unique get a truckers friend from innovation factory. I’ve seen these in use by police and fire before.

If you are ok with a wooden haft then the CRKT Chogun Hanmer poll is amazing when you tune up the handle with some sandpaper and linseed oil. Get a smith and hide leather sheath off Etsy for extra man points.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Estwing Rigger's Axe.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've always had very good luck with Eastwing.  I currently carry, though it's not what you're looking for, a double bit hand axe in my truck.  Small it's easy to store.  Lighter than a full size axe it's easier to carry any distance.  And having two fully sharpened edges from the start is always nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:49:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

I have like 5 Trail Hawks, 1 Pipe Hawk, 1 30" Viking axe and 2 Trail Bosses. A Trail Hawk cut down to 14" with the OEM sheath sits in my passenger rear seat pouch for 'extraction use'. I drove my boss and his wife home and she was like wtf dude. 🤣 Trying different length handles on different heads is fun.
I also usually keep a Trail Boss under my suburban's 2nd row flap cover but should get a cover for it, I want to add a small shovel there as well (need to measure to see what will fit). I've used both somewhat heavily and they work fine though the CS hawks usually need some work.

-clean up the mess at the top of the handle, sand and stain the handle if you like, I wrap them with grip tape
-thin out the edge
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

-thin out the edge

Yep, they're cheap enough you can grind, etch, paint, whatever and just buy another if you don't like it or want to try a different style.  I've handled some much more expensive tomahawks (a friend has a real Winkler and some other fancy hawks; yeah, he's a Jack Carr fan too) but I'm either just LARPing, usually with it attached to my black powder bag or kinda sorta throwing it- I've got a bad shoulder so I can't really throw, well anything, properly anymore.  I keep an actual hatchet in with my camping gear and while I have no doubts you could pretty easily kill someone with one, especially something like the Spike Hawk versions, it's just not a tool I'm likely to carry on my vest or pack.  

Several weeks ago my dumb self was messing around sharpening the Spike Hawk and I was watching some video or another while doing it so not really paying attention to it.  It was fairly dull when I got it so after several minutes with a wet stone I still didn't think it'd be very sharp.  Yep, I was wrong. You can get them quite sharp with just a bit of effort.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to do any etching on this one or just force a patina on it with hot vinegar like I did my Trail Hawk.  On the Trail Hawk I squared up the hammer part, took off metal on the blade side to give it more beard, filed some decorative jimping with a file, shortened the handle, rubbed it down with BLO and made a couple of different leather covers for it.

Like some of Cold Steel's other products, they're a fun base for inexpensive projects that can be functional.  As much as I'd love a Winkler or other nice hawk, I just can't afford one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Vaughn Rig Builders Hatchet under the seat of my truck.

28 oz. of cutting power.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.vaughanmfg.com/Products/RB-28-oz-Rig-Builders-Hatchet__20420.aspx
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Estwing or Fiskars are solid, I have both and have no complaints.

But I have seen first hand what time and weather do to those cool stacked-leather handles, so with the estwing I wrapped the handle with some fabric camo tape, then a coating of fiberglass resin on that. Turned out nice and grippy, and no worries about leaving it with the camping/emergency gear in the truck year-round.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the Council Tool Flying Fox. It comes in 16" and 22" versions, and has a balanced design for throwing with a hardened hammer poll (something most axes don't have fyi). Very reasonably priced also, but it doesn't come with a sheath. I have the 22" version and it's a great camping axe - in between a hatchet and a boys axe in weight and length.

https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/sport-utility-axes/1-625-sport-utility-flying-fox-woodsman-hatchet/
https://counciltool.com/shop/axes/sport-utility-axes/1-625-lbs-sport-utility-flying-fox-woodsman-hatchet-22-in-straight-handle/
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Winker Combat Hammer

https://www.monkeyedge.com/winkler-knives-axe-hammer-combat-axe
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#31]
It’s not a Winkler, but I’ve been happy with this James Gibson…

https://eseeknives.com/product/gibson-axe

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Estwing Axe

View Quote

Estwing hammers and axes are gtg.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Just added this one to my camping kit.  Haven’t used it yet, trip coming up later this month. Ima big fan of Estwing impact tools. They’re made in USA, and will damn near last forever

So far, I like it better than my older leather-stacked version. Handle is much more comfortable, and the black head and orange handle looks cool. It’s also available in all black if you like to play hide & seek with your tools.

Link

There’s also this one if you’d like a workout.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top