Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2023 7:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude]
Does anyone use an arbor press to drive out pins?
Basically, I am planning on modifying an arbor press with a chuck to hold different punches and a modified plate for work holding.

Backstory:  Got rheumatoid arthritis with a side of Lyme arthritis (it’s a thing, really) which has taken a toll on my hand strength and dexterity.  
I also am a machinist/programmer that has access to my family’s full machine shop. We are slow right now so there are machines open that otherwise would be running.

This is a fun project for me in part to get some time of machines and processes I haven’t used recently.  I was gifted an Econoline bench top blast cabinet and working on cleaning up some stainless pistols.

I figured I could:

1) D&T a smaller press for an extra keyed chuck I have.

2) Modify the chuck to have a flat inside for the punch to set.  Plunge with a CEM to create a flat on the interior of the chuck for the punch to set.

3) Cut to length and turn down the handles on a set of good punches and mount of a magnet strip on the side opposite the handle.

4) surface grind plate faces parallel .

5) D&T plate for work holding hardware.

I also thought about engraving a grid on the table then realized it’s probably going to devour 0.030” mills if it’s hardened.

The only thing I need to figure out is a simple way to lock down the rotation of the plate.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the idea. When I was working we had a medium sized arbor press that I used for bearing removal and installation, sheet metal dimpling and joggling and many other tasks. I always thought that attaching a tool holding fixture or chuck would be handy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Amazon Product
  • Used in labs, electronics, jewelry-making, modeling, clock repair and more

Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I use an arbor press for sight removal and installation.
Clamp the slide down and push with a brass rod. Easy and no hammer marks or expensive sight pushers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting idea.  Drill a hole to accept a punch in the ram, and install a set screw to hold the punch in place.

A 1 ton press from Harbor Freight isn't very expensive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
I use an arbor press for sight removal and installation.
Clamp the slide down and push with a brass rod. Easy and no hammer marks or expensive sight pushers.
View Quote
Holy hell....why did I never think of this???

and what's worse is I have a 3D printer so I can print slide holders
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top