Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2023 2:29:13 PM EDT
I have a parts box with probably 87% of a L1A1 sitting around.  I need an Aussie version.

Has anyone built on one of these that came available again this summer?  Any issues?  I dread some of the old issues that had improper cuts, wrong location, not deep enough etc that had to be corrected.   A little filing or reaming doesn’t phase me but I’d hate to get something that wouldn’t work without a major over haul.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:46:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EMSflyer] [#1]
Those are good.

Send it and the kit to Arizona Response Systems and you will be well pleased.

He built an L1A1 for me in 2013 on one of those receivers and it was a work of art.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:24:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#2]
I see I missed this last batch but thank you.  gunplumber does good work.  

I did my last one with fp1201 in his garage.   It’s easy, but not as easy as ARs, IF the receiver has no dimensional issues.

It’s good to hear that DSA is not having the dimensional variances like older batches.  Edit, I reread what you wrote.  You got a good one out of an older batch it sounds like.   They’re fun guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m interested in this as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure Mark at Arizona Response Systems (ARS) is currently building L1A1 kits on those newer DSA inch receivers.

If there is some dimensional issue he is able to overcome it.

Just get the receiver when they come back in stock and send the whole thing to ARS.

I have a FAL Para at ARS now for some trouble shooting and gunsmithing.
He does great work !!
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Funblumbler is the only man on this entire planet that is a master of the FAL.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll add to it that the issues DSA have had seem to have been resolved. IF there are any issues, Gunplumber is the guy who is going to respond with “I’m having issues with it not locking up. I’m a bit baffled…. But I’m going to try one more thing….” and if there is the slimmest chance of it getting fixed, he is going to stick to it like a pit bull til he resolves it. He’s done like 6 builds for me, currently wrapping up a German G1.

Plus…. Not exactly a lot of options other than DSA these days….
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 11:26:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By derwood67:
I’ll add to it that the issues DSA have had seem to have been resolved. IF there are any issues, Gunplumber is the guy who is going to respond with “I’m having issues with it not locking up. I’m a bit baffled…. But I’m going to try one more thing….” and if there is the slimmest chance of it getting fixed, he is going to stick to it like a pit bull til he resolves it. He’s done like 6 builds for me, currently wrapping up a German G1.

Plus…. Not exactly a lot of options other than DSA these days….
View Quote

That’s what I thought,....issues don’t seem to be spoken of too often anymore.  (Then again It’s no longer the fast and furious days of FAL kit building).

I remember the days when gunplumber would tactfully pull no punches on the early in house not LMT uppers.  IIRC it was mostly ejector block issues from being slightly off the mark.  DSA then would tap dance a bit and for some people that sent them back to DSA to get fixed it would drag on.  This was at least ten years ago.  The last FAL i built was before that but I still have a kit plus extra parts.

My last was a Coonan Brit cut and the only thing off for me was the receiver lock was a touch too tight.   Easy enough to swap parts or fit.

I want to do my own work.  I’ve done ARs, FALs, Garands, M14s, M1 carbines.  I still have my FAL assembly tools and pin gages.  I know gunplumber is excellent and chatted with him on both boards, here when he was still around and Fal files.  

I will due to local circumstance not even build the gun until I move out of this jurisdiction.   Well unless the CA cases get through the SC before the home interest rates drop.   It’ll sit in a box in the safe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top