Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2024 10:02:00 PM EDT
I’ve had this old rifle a long time, and just started trying to find some info on it.  The only stamp I’ve found is on the top of the barrel that says “E Phillips New York Cast Steel.”  

I’ve only been able to find one website that mentioned E Phillips was in business from 1840-1884, but not much else. Any experts/historians here that have any other knowledge? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#1]
Those back action target rifles were cool indeed. Creedmor shoots at the New York ranges were all the rage in shooting sports then.

Shootable E. Phillips's come up for sale periodically and bring $6K-$9K depending on condition. Here is an example: LINK

From the description: "... Edwin Phillips worked in New York City during the mid-19th century and was located at 78 Chrystie from 1850 to 1878. This is a classic example of the types of mid-19th century target rifles that were often pressed into service during the early part of the American Civil War as "sharp shooters" rifles...  "

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Post on the muzzleloadingforum.com. They have a sub forum dedicated to identifying old BP guns.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/firearm-identification.84/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top