Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 7:55:14 PM EDT
I know they're probably not considered the greatest quality but I've always found them to be really comfortable and rugged enough for the price.

Yet they keep discontinuing all the models that I really like, like the Halcyon lightweight breathable shoes and the old leather ATAC Storm zip boots. I'm guessing they are all made in some giant factory in China.

I go out of my way as far as I can not to buy Chinese products when I can, but is there an equivalent USA or European brand that's remotely close to what 511 offers?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Im still pissed at Merrill and Danner for doing the same shit for the ones that fit me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#2]
For tactical sneaker boots the current Nike lineup has some good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If there is a shoe/boot that fits my feet and my needs... I go back and buy a second pair (because when they wear out they no doubt will have been discontinued!).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Their belts are either too big or too small. I am in between sizes. I had to sew in some velcro by hand to hit my size perfectly.
Rant over.
Love the belt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
If there is a shoe/boot that fits my feet and my needs... I go back and buy a second pair (because when they wear out they no doubt will have been discontinued!).
View Quote

I do the same.  Rotating through 2 pairs at a time helps em last longer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve worn Garmont T8 since about 2013. (Wore Nikes and Rockies before that). It’s a really good tough combat boot. I have no desire to switch anytime soon.

I have 3 pairs of Salomon’s. High top and low top hiking boots. They last way longer than Merrells I’ve had.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I gave on 5.11 boots a long time ago after I broke 3 zippers in about a month.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By d16man:

I read the title and thought "Merrell did the same thing after selling to Wolverine."

And it's Merrell, not Merrill.  My family is full of cobblers.  My dad still has all the stitches and leather working tools and machine my great-grandfather used in his shoe shop.
View Quote

Blame autocorrect
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
I gave on 5.11 boots a long time ago after I broke 3 zippers in about a month.
View Quote

That’s why I refuse to get sidezip garbage.

I’ve had the same issue with good stuff that fits getting discontinued, burns my ass. Good part of why I started getting into PNW boots that last longer.

Bates isn’t quite as bad as 511, I’ve been able to get cobras and shock fx for a good while. Think the shock fx has been discontinued, I see them on clearance for half price now. Of course, they’ve kept the sidezip version…

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep. I wore the HRT Urbans (I think that was the name) for years, including 2 pair I bought on clearance when they were discontinued.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Salomon force Is what you seek
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
View Quote

Had two pairs. One I bought and the other a warranty replacement.

They lasted longer than others but were constantly out of stock in my size.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Their belts are either too big or too small. I am in between sizes. I had to sew in some velcro by hand to hit my size perfectly.
Rant over.
Love the belt.
View Quote

Their sizing drives me crazy.
The size I have on now is long enough to reach the next belt loop. So perfect. The next two sizes up, for when I'm carrying IWB, are within an inch of each other and both are very long even with the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Salomon, Danner, and Keen are the only boots that I buy anymore
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
<- [cries in OTB]

I had chances to buy duplicate pairs of both my OTB Bootistans, and later, the Jungle Lites. Now, it looks like OTB is de facto defunct.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Never cared for the 5.11s, but I understand.  It’s taken me years to learn that when I find a shoe that fits, I get two or three extra pairs.  New Balance is the only shoe I can order online knowing that their sizing fits me perfect. 10 1/2 4E is a tough one to find.  

I get a free pair of Bates boots from work once a year. They do fine, but they don’t get hard use. Not gonna lie, the side zip is a nice convenience.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
View Quote

For whatever reason, their quicklaces went from me never breaking one, to me breaking them every other month.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Im still pissed at Merrill and Danner for doing the same shit for the ones that fit me.
View Quote

I am more pissed that their quality went to shit.  I would tolerate some price increases to keep quality the same.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:51:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SnaitN] [#21]
The best thing I've ever purchased from 511 are the Norris low tops.  They are styled like a pair of early 90s Airwalks, but with support and a Vibram sole and fit true to size.  Some of the best kicks I've owned in a LONG time, I LOVE them.  Wore them for my IKMA black belt test, they look great with pretty much any pants, and had very little break in.  Most 511 stuff is hot garbage at this point, but the Norris shoes are freaking excellent.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By D6T:

Glad to see the decline in Merrell quality isn’t just me.
View Quote

Must have started in 2004 - had a pair of Sawtooth disintegrate on me in Iraq. The warranty replacements did the same (toe box area separation). Biggest durability surprise? Boots from a Chinese company called CQR on Amazon. Bought in 2018 and used daily for wooded property chores - they *just* started finally giving up (but still usable). They're like $80. I have various Salomon models that I'm happy with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Everything is fashion based now so good design has no longevity anymore.  Gotts to get on to the latest and greatest style.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top