Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2023 10:11:57 PM EDT
Seeking some wisdom from our more experienced SOTs.

I've got a silencer that's been sitting on a Form 3 that sustained an end cap strike during demo. It's headed back to the manufacturer soon for a repair. Being that this isn't a personal can that I'd just mail in with a copy of the Form 4...

Should this be disposed of on my books to the manufacturer, then logged as an acquisition when it comes back? Moreover, from everything I've read, there should be no impact to the Form 3 because it's just being sent in for repair and not actually being transferred to them. Does that check?

In other words....log it out -> they fix it -> log it back in. But nothing more than that.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By CuldesacWarlord:
In other words....log it out -> they fix it -> log it back in. But nothing more than that.
View Quote
I haven't actually done this, but I believe that's how you'd handle it
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#2]
1.) It's not "on a Form 3", it's just "inventory". #Nitpick :D

2.) The NSSF has a little how-to for FFLs to log repairs FAQ:

"Most commonly, the firearm can be sent out to another licensed FFL/gunsmith for repair, or it can be sent back to the manufacturer for repair.
In both of those cases, sending the firearm out of your store is a disposition that must be entered in the A&D record; and you must get a copy of the firearms license of the FFL or manufacturer to whom you ship it just as you must if you are transferring a new firearm to another FFL. That disposition entry must contain the date of the shipment, the name of the FFL to whom you shipped it, and the complete 15-character FFL number of that licensee.
When the repaired firearm you shipped out is returned to you, you must make a new and complete acquisition entry in your records to record the receipt from the licensee that repaired it.
"
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! NSSF is a resource I hadn't thought of to try and find the info.

My "on a form 3" hangup was that the manufacturer requests a copy of the form 4 when sending it in. The "norm" would most certainly be a non-ffl/sot consumer sending their product in for repair. It's just something new that I hadn't dealt with and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing it up.

Thanks again, sincerely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top