Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 2:24:38 PM EDT
Anyone have experience or knowledge to share on the Automatic Weapons Co. SG9 integral suppressors for the S&W76, MK760 etc.?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a great review of the SG-9 in the First addition of Al Paulson's "Silencer History and Performance". From my own experience with them, it's a very effective integral can that is most often seen on Smith 76's and Sten's. A ported barrel with a mesh wrap in the rear. Stainless steel coined baffles up front. Super pleasant acoustically on either host. They are sizeable and a little heavy by contemporary standards, but an SG-9 equipped host just chugs along in a very pleasing manner. Very nice craftmanship on all I've ever seen/handled, especially the earlier AWC cans when Phil Dater was involved. All in all a very well made piece of 70's/80's silencer history that is still effective on the intended hosts.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Can’t help you with that one, but I have a AWC 2-stage M10 silencer that is spectacularly quiet and well made.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
There's a great review of the SG-9 in the First addition of Al Paulson's "Silencer History and Performance". From my own experience with them, it's a very effective integral can that is most often seen on Smith 76's and Sten's. A ported barrel with a mesh wrap in the rear. Stainless steel coined baffles up front. Super pleasant acoustically on either host. They are sizeable and a little heavy by contemporary standards, but an SG-9 equipped host just chugs along in a very pleasing manner. Very nice craftmanship on all I've ever seen/handled, especially the earlier AWC cans when Phil Dater was involved. All in all a very well made piece of 70's/80's silencer history that is still effective on the intended hosts.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

Thank you. I came across one for a good price and am thinking of grabbing it for the novelty aspect even though I already have several threaded barrels and suppressors that I run on my S&W76.

Do you know whether 124 and even 115 are subsonic out of the integrally ported barrel? The setup below is very pleasant to shoot, but of course only 147’s are subsonic out of it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the SG-9 was ported adequately to reduce 115 and 124 to subsonic levels. A lot of them came equipped with a "port blocking collar" that could be threaded in place to block-off the rear-most set of barrel ports to assist in tuning a particular open bolt host to prevent run-away.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Atlmike:
I believe the SG-9 was ported adequately to reduce 115 and 124 to subsonic levels. A lot of them came equipped with a "port blocking collar" that could be threaded in place to block-off the rear-most set of barrel ports to assist in tuning a particular open bolt host to prevent run-away.

SilentMike
Dead Air
AAC 1998-2018
View Quote

The port blocking collar on the barrel was to be used with 147 gr ammo. All of the 115 and 125 stuff I tried remained subsonic with the rear ports open. Of course, bleeding off velocity reduced kinetic energy. A copy of the manual is available as a PDF if you will e-mail me (NOT IM, please -- you can e-mail through this site).

The earlier SG9 suppressed barrels (AWC in NM) used 5/8-18 threads on the barrel, the later ones (by Gemtech) had 5/8-24 threads. Don't know what the AWX-TX or AZ used. I do have some 5/8-24 SG9 barrels for the S&W in my parts bin (no STen barrels).
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PHD:

The port blocking collar on the barrel was to be used with 147 gr ammo. All of the 115 and 125 stuff I tried remained subsonic with the rear ports open. Of course, bleeding off velocity reduced kinetic energy. A copy of the manual is available as a PDF if you will e-mail me (NOT IM, please -- you can e-mail through this site).

The earlier SG9 suppressed barrels (AWC in NM) used 5/8-18 threads on the barrel, the later ones (by Gemtech) had 5/8-24 threads. Don't know what the AWX-TX or AZ used. I do have some 5/8-24 SG9 barrels for the S&W in my parts bin (no STen barrels).
View Quote
@PHD, good to hear from you.  I tried to email you recently and got a message that I need to be an approved sender and I did that process.  Also, if I hover over your username on this site, I only get the pop up to Message you not email so I don't know if you have emails disabled here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PHD:

View Quote

Sent you an IM Dr. Dater as there is no email option available. Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top