Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 6:52:38 PM EDT
What kind of five shot groups at 100 yards should I expect from an AUG?
I'm not talking about the single best group you ever shot.

More like, you shoot 10 sets of groups with a 10 different loads, what would be the average group size?

I'm generalizing here....there is no need to start asking me a bunch of specific questions to dial it down to a gnats ass.

Tony

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
3"-5" with standard ball ammo.  Standard military grade accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcantu] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIHC3KZjv3c
View Quote

Very good. I love the random discussion in the background about some guy’s Mauser k98k.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
View Quote

Honestly,  with a modern current production AUG, this isn't that far off.  

Don't expect to be hitting 1 MOA groups.  That barrel has more contact points than an extended warranty sales strategy plan. And these aren't the Austrian Steyr made barrels.

Some people can do better, but if your mission statement is a sub 2 MOA gun on a new production unit, prepare to be disappointed.  

Be aware the pistol grip position and contact/non-contact can have a meaningful impact on POI and accuracy - with that varying from unit to unit

Also be aware that ammo selection can notably impact POI as well, with heavy ammo striking much higher than light ammo - again, notably variable from unit to unit.

My KelTec RDB outshoots my AUG.  Other people's AUG,'s (typical originals) can shoot much better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I never had good results with mine but attributed it to trigger pull
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#7]
My 2020 production AUG will do 1.5" to 3" off a bench at 100 yards with PMC 55 grain .223 and 5.56mm X-Tac. 62 grain M855 from Winchester and PMC produced similar groups.
I use a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x optic on a Rock River one-piece mount.
That was on my very first outing and, as has been discussed at length, the trigger pull was indeed the main limiting factor for me.
The mechanical accuracy of the AUG is pretty damn good in my view, with human factors and ammunition variability being the main limits to getting good groups.
But, at the end of the day, tight groups are not meant to be this rifle's Forte, just a nice side benefit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
My 2 2023 production AUGs have both given me numerous sub MOA groups (5 shot group, sandbag rest, no called alibis or averaging best 5 out of 10 BS). This is with an Aimpoint and 3X mag!!

On average, I'd say I'm getting 2-2.5MOA really trying hard across a variety of factory loads. Outstanding loads so far ADI (Australian Outback) 55gr Blitzking, Fed 50gr Tipped (old load from PSA sale 10 years ago) and Norma 77gr OTM. My typical defense loads like 62gr Speer Gold Dot, Fed Fusion and Fed Bonded Tactical 55gr are averaging around 2.5MOA. IMI 77gr Razercore is averaging 1.5MOA.

The trigger and my RDS "optics" are the biggest limiting factors. But mechanical accuracy is on par with my better AR's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
View Quote

This is on the hight side. I would say 2-3" groups at 100.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s about the same as the average rack grade .mil AR. 2-3” at 100 is about right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top