Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/11/2022 3:41:07 PM EDT
Purchased the Palmetto AP5 deal (HG6034A-N)  I want to put an optic on it but I'm unsure which mount to purchase. I see Century makes a mount. Will this mount be fine or should I spend a little more on something else?  Will be putting an Aimpoint Micro on it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The MKE/Century mount is okay, but kind of big and sometimes has a reputation of having stripped screws.  It's cheap though and will work if it mounts okay.

This MFI Ultra Low rail  is popular for having the lowest possible rail interface, which you'll need if you want to cowitness the irons through a red dot.  They sell quick when batches come in stock though.

I have a Midwest Industries rail  that's decent, it's a bit taller than the MFI one, but I use a dot on a riser for a more heads-up stance anyway so it's good for me.  MI also makes an interesting version of theirs which adds a long top piece that extends out to the front sight and has a couple MLok slots on top for mounting lights and such up there if you wanted.

And then there's a ton of other clamp-on rails out there.  Battle Steel makes a decent inexpensive one.  B&T has a couple that are a bit more bulky and longer.  One thing to consider most of all is the fact that you need to have space for your off hand to manipulate the cocking handle.  Some of the longer, bulkier rails extend up to the end of the cocking tube where the CH locks back at, and if you're not careful you can smash your thumb into the rail or the optic when doing reloads.  That's why the small, lower profile rails seem to be more popular.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Infitech makes a great Aimpoint micro mount for the G3/MP5...

https://infitech.se/en/best-sellers/hk-g3-mp5-aimpoint-micro-mount/
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I went old school (90's LASD Sherrif's style) and did a steel ARMS claw mount with a #17 ARMs mount for the Aimpoint M2 clone.
Works great! Nice and high (heads up),  was a fast (low ready on safe) as a guy with pistol at high ready, for two
shots to center mass at 15 feet during class/practice last Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I went old school (90's LASD Sherrif's style) and did a steel ARMS claw mount with a #17 ARMs mount for the Aimpoint M2 clone.
Works great! Nice and high (heads up),  was a fast (low ready on safe) as a guy with pistol at high ready, for two
shots to center mass at 15 feet during class/practice last Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mke mount is a Pain and kind of junky
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My MKE rail had bad threads on the nuts and would not let a Holosun red dot mount straight. Hard pass.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
This is why I didn't want to get an Ap5 because of all the things I need to get for it but here I am. I am glad some of you have chimed in about some rails, as I am also looking to get one and appreciate all of the reviews and info. here. Seriously.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
While many people like taller optic and mount setups, there are also many like myself who prefer the optic to have absolute co-witness with the iron sights.  If you like these lower co-witness setups, then the Battle Steel mounts available at HKParts or Botach are impossible to beat.

My AP5P sports a Holosun HE509T on the Battle Steel mount that is made specifically for that optic alone.  My full size AP5 will soon have a Holosun HS515GM, this time on the Battle Steel mount that is made for the Aimpoint Micro/Holosun/Vortex footprint.

I love these co-witness setups, but realize it's not for everyone.  Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not having any luck mounting a Midwest Industries Rail to my MKE AP5. No matter what I do I can't get the claws to catch a thread and I've been at it for an hour. Any suggestions? The MI instructions are not very helpful. I am usually pretty good at fine screws and whatnot but this onje has me stumped...
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]
My MI mount installed with zero difficulty, and the fit seemed "perfect".

It just isn't the most attractive mount available...
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of people are reporting problems with the MI optic rail.  It sounds like MI either had a bad batch, or there's some issue with some AP5s going out.  If it's anything on the gun, the only thing I can think of is the recoil lug on the top of the receiver is not welded in place correctly, or the spots for the mount claws to grab are not profiled correctly.

Here are the instructions from MI  on installing it, the main thing is removing all 4 clamps before sliding it on the gun making sure the recoil lug on the receiver nests into the cutout on the underside of the rail, then one by one slipping the clamp bits in there and fishing it around until you can get the screw to start in the threads.  I used fine tweezers to help.  Just barely start each one until all four are started and then tighten them evenly, or else it could sit at an angle.

Should look like this paint cutaway diagram.  Red is the rail, blue are the clamp bits, and black is the receiver.

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
A lot of people are reporting problems with the MI optic rail.  It sounds like MI either had a bad batch, or there's some issue with some AP5s going out.  If it's anything on the gun, the only thing I can think of is the recoil lug on the top of the receiver is not welded in place correctly, or the spots for the mount claws to grab are not profiled correctly.

Here are the instructions from MI  on installing it, the main thing is removing all 4 clamps before sliding it on the gun making sure the recoil lug on the receiver nests into the cutout on the underside of the rail, then one by one slipping the clamp bits in there and fishing it around until you can get the screw to start in the threads.  I used fine tweezers to help.  Just barely start each one until all four are started and then tighten them evenly, or else it could sit at an angle.

Should look like this paint cutaway diagram.  Red is the rail, blue are the clamp bits, and black is the receiver.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/3532-2638864.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for this,
I did make sure it sat on the recoil lug and that seemed to have it align with the 4 mounting positions in the gun. I can make it look like your graphic but even using a fine pick as a drift I cannot get a single screw to catch a thread. I think mine might be junk. It has me looking at other mounts that have a plate on one side that catches the mounting positions on the gun instead of 4 itty bitty claws…
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GySgt_D] [#15]
I just remembered something that might be of interest; pardon my faulty recollection of the installation-

I, too, wasn't having much luck installing it per MI's instructions.  Instead, I installed the claw thingies upside-down, with the tapered side facing towards the optic.

Yes, I understand that it isn't supposed to work that way, but it seems to be just as secure of an arrangement that way than otherwise.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Thurman_Murman_74:
I am not having any luck mounting a Midwest Industries Rail to my MKE AP5. No matter what I do I can't get the claws to catch a thread and I've been at it for an hour. Any suggestions? The MI instructions are not very helpful. I am usually pretty good at fine screws and whatnot but this onje has me stumped...
View Quote

I had a similar issue, compounded by the mount being narrower than my receiver so the clamps were an interference fit.

I found a post on reddit saying they bought longer screws and it worked. They said MI provided M3x12mm screws and they used M3x14mm. I haven't tried this to confirm. With the mount being too narrow I elected to buy an MFI mount instead. It installed with zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a cheap mount on Amazon for $15, works fine on my -P.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The MKE works fine for me. I am wondering about people complaining of strip screws. I thought this was the case but after fighting with the mount for days I discovered that two of the screws were too short. I took the factory screws to Lowe's to match up the thread and bam, a buck and some change later the mount is on there pretty solid. FYI, thread on two of the factory screws and buy just two longer screws.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:34:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blfuller] [#19]
I have both the MKE and MI mounts, the MI mount shows to orient the nuts like the image above and the video From Zenith shows to attach the nuts in the opposite direction, with the chamfer up, instructions for the mount are at 12:17 or so.  Since it's over 7 years old I assume that it is during their importation of the MKE manufactured guns.  Couldn't get either one to work with the chamfer down but with it up it would work.  WTF knows.  YMMV.
Z5P disassembly and reassembly
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By blfuller:
I have both the MKE and MI mounts, the MI mount shows to orient the nuts like the image above and the video From Zenith shows to attach the nuts in the opposite direction, with the chamfer up, instructions for the mount are at 12:17 or so.  Since it's over 7 years old I assume that it is during their importation of the MKE manufactured guns.  Couldn't get either one to work with the chamfer down but with it up it would work.  WTF knows.  YMMV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CulaYc56zXE
View Quote

I have the MKE mount and mounted it chamfers up.  The threads are fine so take your time. Mine went on nice and tight. Got them all threaded, them removed each one to add locktight.

I like the design of the MKE with it's chamfered front edges by charging handle, which is why I went with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 10:02:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: asiparks] [#21]
I mounted both my MKE mounts with the chamfers facing up towards the optic too, the opposite of the illustration above- tightened nice, solid and evenly, zero movement
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been looking around for mounts also.  The price is a factor but I want quality also with no mounting issues.  I went with the MFI for my AP5 but will need another for my AP5-P.  I am looking at the other MFI made for the K style but also looking at the B&T.  The MFI went on with no issues and they recommend 10 inch lbs when tightening down or just even finger tight then 1/4 turn.  
https://mfiap.com/i-8938674-mfi-5-5-long-low-profile-scope-mount-with-slots-windows-to-see-serial-numbers-on-hk-mp5-sp5-k-series-hk94-ptr-9r-608-hk91-hk93-universal-price-includes-usps-priority-mail-insurance.html

https://mfiap.com/i-23899698-mfi-special-scope-mount-for-hk-mp5k-to-have-greater-space-between-the-over-mold-cocking-handle-the-end-of-the-rail-also-fits-all-hk-mp5-variants-including-hk-sp5-all-clones-price-includes-usps-priority-shipping-insurance-eta-02-2023.html

https://bt-parts.com/bt-21222---b-t-mounting-rail-nar-low-profile-mount/

Better Pics in HKParts, https://hkparts.net/product/b-t-hk-mp5-mp5k-low-short-style-scope-mount-p16875.htm/
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
My MFI mount kicks ass. After fighting the Midwest Industries mount for hours to get the screws to catch in the clamps, and failing, I decided to give up and search for a better design. I came across this MFI rail and liked the captive clamps and how they could rotate as they tightened. I'm not convinced the MKE receiver flats were all perfectly cut/stamped so the rotating clamp design seems a lot more stable and sturdy. For install the rail just set on the receiver and the clamps fell into place. Getting the screws started was easy and everything stayed in place as I tightened them. I torqued the screws down and mounted my Eotech and it zeroed easily later that day. Its held zero through some bouncy car rides and have no reason to believe it won't continue to hold zero. The rail is low enough that without an optic I can see the entire iron sight picture which means I don't need to remove it to shoot with irons only. The openings in the rail to see the serial number while mounted is a nice touch too.

https://mfiap.com/i-8938674-mfi-5-5-long-low-profile-scope-mount-with-slots-windows-to-see-serial-numbers-on-hk-mp5-sp5-k-series-hk94-ptr-9r-608-hk91-hk93-universal-price-includes-usps-priority-mail-insurance.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Thurman_Murman_74:
View Quote

I couldn't get mine either,  the screws are like 1/16th too short.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm considering getting the battle steel mount if I decide to go with an Aimpoint T2.  I really need to try mounting my RMR footprint optic to my MKE rail and set it on my AP5 to see what I think of it first.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I shit canned my MFI mount. It wouldn't mount parallel with the bore. Nice looking mount, but I could never get it to mount without having a big gap on the front end. I'll be selling this mount.

So, I went with the B&T NAR short version, and it mounted very tight and with no gaps. Low profile like the MFI, but was a better option for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I also had the same problem with one of the screws,oddly enough only one screw would not tighten down, on my Mid West rail. Hopefully a longer screw will take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#28]
For those using an Aimpoint t2 or similar, what mount height are you using? I got the LT HK660 but it’s a bit tall still

Not sure if I need to go with the 661 instead
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#29]
dont need mount with aimpoint micro, included pic rail will cowitness assuming  your mp5 has pic rail  welded on
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I was finally able to get my Midwest Industries mount to clamp. I had to use slightly longer screws (M3*16) and these worked for me.

Figured I'd share.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#31]
MI worked for me as well. Only 2 of the screws would catch.  Longer screws did the trick.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
For those using an Aimpoint t2 or similar, what mount height are you using? I got the LT HK660 but it’s a bit tall still

Not sure if I need to go with the 661 instead
View Quote

I got an ARMS low mount and it’s just right for me. The front hood is barely in the sight picture and if I need to use the iron sights I just flip the lever and remove it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseCJC] [#33]
Sweet, thanks

Second question is who makes this front tower replacement mount and where can I get it?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
Sweet, thanks

Second question is who makes this front tower replacement mount and where can I get it?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/158588/06AB8CCE-ABCB-4C86-B66A-35A52E93E737_jpe-2707600.JPG
View Quote
That rail is welded to the triple frame, and the gun is from Magpul's promotional images for their accessory line. I'm guessing it's a custom build they did.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#35]
Looking for co witness options.  What's good

And can anyone tell me where I can find one of these with the low mount?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I had an MFI mount, it installed easily and I was happy with it.  That is until it loosened within 500 rounds.  I replaced it with a B&T mount.  I went with the Universal mount so I could mount my CompM3 further back.  If you mount the 30mm Aimpoint’s too far forward you’ll bash your hand into it while locking the bolt back.  

Night and day difference with the B&T, this thing is solid when mounted.  Gives the perfect height in my opinion with the top of the hood in the lower 1/4-1/3 of the optic.  No you can’t use the irons with the optic installed, however with a QD mount like the ADM I’m using, you can remove the optic and the irons are still usable.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
I had an MFI mount, it installed easily and I was happy with it.  That is until it loosened within 500 rounds.  I replaced it with a B&T mount.  I went with the Universal mount so I could mount my CompM3 further back.  If you mount the 30mm Aimpoint’s too far forward you’ll bash your hand into it while locking the bolt back.  

Night and day difference with the B&T, this thing is solid when mounted.  Gives the perfect height in my opinion with the top of the hood in the lower 1/4-1/3 of the optic.  No you can’t use the irons with the optic installed, however with a QD mount like the ADM I’m using, you can remove the optic and the irons are still usable.  

https://i.imgur.com/IiS9QbM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Dv0yBLV.jpg
View Quote

That is my experience as well with the B&T - very solid mount. I'm not impressed with the MFI mount
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:

That is my experience as well with the B&T - very solid mount. I'm not impressed with the MFI mount
View Quote

What do you find the weak points of the MFI mount to be?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

When mounted, the rail was canted towards the front. Huge gap in the rear between the bottom of the mount vs. top of the receiver. It was never parallel with the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#40]

When mounted, the rail was canted towards the front. Huge gap in the rear between the bottom of the mount vs. top of the receiver. It was never parallel with the receiver.
View Quote

Did you contact Mike?  I’ve found him to be responsive.  

BTW, I like the Battle Steel low profile mount but they are unavailable right now so  I ordered a B&T LP mount to beat our deadline here in WA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spacejunk] [#41]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:

BTW, I like the Battle Steel low profile mount but they are unavailable right now so  I ordered a B&T LP mount to beat our deadline here in WA.
View All Quotes

I did not contact MFI.

I went with the B&T mount and it went right on without any hiccup.

Edit: Hold up. You have to get the mount before the WA gun ban? Are mounts no longer GTG there?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]

I did not contact MFI.

I went with the B&T mount and it went right on without any hiccup.

Edit: Hold up. You have to get the mount before the WA gun ban? Are mounts no longer GTG there?
View Quote

The ban includes “parts” that can be used to “complete” a prohibited firearm.   Wether or not that includes mounts no one knows, but some shops already stated they will pull EVERYTHING until they get an answer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Another vote for MFI. Mine is great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

My MFI mount loosened with around 500 rounds through the gun.  It was also not visibly level forward to back.  Initially I wasn’t bothered by the visual cant because it zeroed and the POI at various distance was good.  However I lost confidence in my zero when it loosened up.  The instructions specifically stated not to use loctite on the screws.

I did contact MFI and was told I could use loctite but it would obviously be more difficult to remove the screws later and the screws could strip more easily since they are small.  The contradictory information between the instructions and the company over the phone didn’t sit well with me and I opted to return it.  

The B&T on the other hand sits level as it should and the design including the screws are much more robust.  The screws also have loctite pre applied.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

My MFI mount loosened with around 500 rounds through the gun.  It was also not visibly level forward to back.  Initially I wasn’t bothered by the visual cant because it zeroed and the POI at various distance was good.  However I lost confidence in my zero when it loosened up.  The instructions specifically stated not to use loctite on the screws.

I did contact MFI and was told I could use loctite but it would obviously be more difficult to remove the screws later and the screws could strip more easily since they are small.  The contradictory information between the instructions and the company over the phone didn’t sit well with me and I opted to return it.  

The B&T on the other hand sits level as it should and the design including the screws are much more robust.  The screws also have loctite pre applied.
View Quote

I’ve never had one loosen up, but I made sure I went as even as possible torquing the screws, and used a torque wrench.  They’re a bit of a pain but mine have been really really solid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lil_Sig] [#46]
Anyone use a Sheild MP5 mount to mount a Holosun?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I just changed from a battle steel Aimpoint mount to a B&T low rail with an ADM low mount and it’s at a much better height for me
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#48]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
I just changed from a battle steel Aimpoint mount to a B&T low rail with an ADM low mount and it’s at a much better height for me
View Quote

@chemcmndr
Which Battle Steel mount did you get?

Was it this one?
https://botach.com/battle-steel-hk-mounts/

Or the older one?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#49]

@chemcmndr
Which Battle Steel mount did you get?

Was it this one?
https://botach.com/battle-steel-hk-mounts/

Or the older one?
View Quote

@FishKepr

It’s the one you sent the link for; the Aimpoint micro mount.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rubicon20032003] [#50]
BT-10266 B&T  is best mount out there for a micro if not going infitech.That battlesteel is cheap Chinese shit and it’s a 30 dollar mount
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top