Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 2:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest]
It's a bummer to spend a grand on a can and then they discontinue it and the parts dry up.

Well anyway I've been tempted to convert it from M13.5:1 LH to 1/2"-28 so I can use it on something else.
Everywhere I've looked (so far) the pistons used to convert it are not available. What are the options?

Other than getting a thread adapter of course.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#1]
does this generation of ti rant use the 45 ti rant piston?

if so, if you are after the 1/2x28 piston i have 3 in my shop and can still get them through distro. AAC also confirmed piston 65001 is not discontinued.

i just know there are 3 models of this can, so i dont know what piston it takes. hansohn knows a lot about these. i expect him to jump in soon and get you helped out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are needing the piston for the older Ti-Rant 9 in 1/2 Black Ankle has them in stock. I have ordered from them before with ease and fast shipping. https://www.blackanklemunitions.com/products/advanced-armament-co-ti-rant-9-9m-non-hd-piston-1-2x28/
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HOODYJ:
If you are needing the piston for the older Ti-Rant 9 in 1/2 Black Ankle has them in stock. I have ordered from them before with ease and fast shipping. https://www.blackanklemunitions.com/products/advanced-armament-co-ti-rant-9-9m-non-hd-piston-1-2x28/
View Quote

Sweeeeeeet that is the one. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:51:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#5]
Originally Posted By akethan:

Pretty sure they all use the same pistons.
View Quote

I could be wrong but I don't think so. The piston screws onto the barrel, so the 9mm is going to be much smaller than the .45 cal pistons.

EDIT to add:
TiRant 9 uses 14mm x 1.0 mm Viton O-ring
TiRant 45 uses 16mm x 1.5 mm Viton O-ring
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:54:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
Originally Posted By djkest:

I could be wrong but I don't think so. The piston screws onto the barrel, so the 9mm is going to be much smaller than the .45 cal pistons.
View Quote

The current version TiRant 9M HD uses the 45 size piston.   (so the 45 and 9mm use the same piston)

The old Tirant 9 used a smaller 9mm piston.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
AAC will convert older Tirant 9M cans to use the newer 45 pistons.  Charge $150 for the new parts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a friend that just got his TiRant9... it had the old small piston with the new 45 piston size booster... He is a newbie and didn't know.... 2 baffle strikes later....
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
The Tirant 9M uses the old small pistons.  The Tirant 9M HD uses the newer Tirant 45 pistons.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#10]
Originally Posted By Kombayotch:
AAC will convert older Tirant 9M cans to use the newer 45 pistons.  Charge $150 for the new parts.
View Quote

What does the conversion entail? I am guessing a new cap and piston on the back end of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]

What does the conversion entail?
View Quote

The whole piston housing assembly (new end cap, basket, piston and spring).
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]

EDIT to add:
TiRant 9 uses 14mm x 1.0 mm Viton O-ring
TiRant 45 uses 16mm x 1.5 mm Viton O-ring
View Quote

Which TiRant do you have?  There are at least three versions of the 9mm alone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:

Which TiRant do you have?  There are at least three versions of the 9mm alone.
View Quote

Hmm...

9 - Yes
9M - No
9M-HD - No
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Not the easiest or cheapest solution but I had Ecco Machine convert my older Tirant 9m to SiCo/Rugged/Griffin pattern pistons to make things more universal in my collection. Pictured bottom:

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:17:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]
I bought the 1/2-28 piston from Black Ankle. Seemed like the best choice for my circumstances.
Edit: And the fixed-barrel spacer
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#16]

Hmm...

9 - Yes
9M - No
9M-HD - No
View Quote

OK, then you have the old one with the smaller 9mm piston.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Here are all the variants.  

Ti-Rant 9 (sealed)
Ti-Rant 9 (Take Apart)
Ti-Rant 9S
Tirant 9M

And Ti-Rant 9M HD

The HD takes .45 pistons which have a larger shank.

Something to consider that is that Jay from Pew Science did testing on all the above (except 9S) and determined that the smaller shank piston was actually quieter than the larger shank.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#18]
I got all the goods from Black Ankle! Brand new parts in factory packaging (even though I believe these have been out of production for years). Shoutout to BAM for quick shipping, good prices, very professional.

I will have to do a "conversion" if I want to switch between hosts. BUT one is fixed and one is reciprocating, so it's inevitable anyway.
I guess that means I need more cans.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
The other method is Griffin Armament's EZ LOK mount/piston combo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I got all the goods from Black Ankle! Brand new parts in factory packaging (even though I believe these have been out of production for years). Shoutout to BAM for quick shipping, good prices, very professional.

I will have to do a "conversion" if I want to switch between hosts. BUT one is fixed and one is reciprocating, so it's inevitable anyway.
I guess that means I need more cans.
View Quote

They were new production.  We make a batch once a year vs continually for the large shank.  BAM is good people!

-New AAC Guy
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#21]
Originally Posted By Torozmaster1:

They were new production.  We make a batch once a year vs continually for the large shank.  BAM is good people!

-New AAC Guy
View Quote

Okay, maybe you'd know the answer to this question. So I attempted to disassemble my TiRant, and the ASAP portion is stuck together. The User Manual make it seem like it easily comes apart, but it does not.

I found this thread, seems to have the answer... sort of.
https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/ti-rant-inner-sleeve-stuck-to-piston-assy.180872/page-2
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]

-New AAC Guy
View Quote
That's good to hear. I already have all three for my Evos, but you never know when the need for a second reverse metric or bastardx36 might come in handy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#23]
If they are out of stock everywhere you can call AAC directly to order. Last i checked a couple years ago anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Okay, maybe you'd know the answer to this question. So I attempted to disassemble my TiRant, and the ASAP portion is stuck together. The User Manual make it seem like it easily comes apart, but it does not.

https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/ti-rant-inner-sleeve-stuck-to-piston-assy.180872/page-2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

-New AAC Guy

Yeah. So that's not supposed to happen. The housing should have been red loctited in as to prevent it from coming out of the tube.

There was an issue in 2014ish [and potentially later] where the assembly guys would acetone the threads to clean everything out. But they wouldn't wipe or allow time for it to evaporate before they applied the red loctite. Acetone + loctite= elmers glue.

Just clean everything up using acetone. ALLOW TO DRY. And then apply red loctite to the booster housing only [where the threads reduce] and reinstall the housing into the tube yourself. Allow to cure overnight. Then you should be GTG.
To be clear I'm talking about the part with all the holes in it. Not the piston retaining cap. That should be hand tight as you will need to swap pistons or Fixed Barrel spacer.
Top Top