Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2022 11:18:48 PM EDT
A guy wants to trade this FAL to me and I have no idea what kind of value it has. His description:

It has type 2 cast receiver from DS arms. Steyr rotary hammer forged barrel. Steyr lower and bolt and carrier. Belgian wood stock and grip.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My trade is worth about $1200, I wouldn't mind having a FAL but like I said,  I don't know anything about them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#1]
What's up with the barrel? Is it ban configured (chopped and not threaded)?

An original Austrian STG58 barrel with muzzle device should look like this (bottom gun)

Looks like it's also missing the original bipod.

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MHIDPA] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Apec:
What's up with the barrel? Is it ban configured (chopped and not threaded)?

An original Austrian STG58 barrel with muzzle device should look like this (bottom gun)

Looks like it's also missing the original bipod.

https://i.imgur.com/YPD6vLn.png
View Quote

He said it was originally a century build with a Hesse reciever that got rebuilt with the DSA reciever and the wood added. Would that explain the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it is not still a Hesse receiver.  Those things are dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Small update,  yes it is a ban era barrel. However I have a lathe and a friend with FAL tools, so a cut and thread job would be easy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ssgtward:
View Quote

How are they dangerous?

Maybe I should stop shooting the one I had 20,000 rounds and had a new barrel put on and have about 5K through it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I am glad it has worked out for you.  Hesse made firearms years ago and then changed their name to Vulcan.  When they changed, they refused to service any previously built guns.  I almost bought a Vulcan gun in the 90's but started doing some research on them and never found anything good about them.  They were known for making soft receivers on some of their guns that cracked.  There is not that much about them on the internet because they went out of business many years ago.  Google them and you will find some interesting comments on archived threads.

Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
At least the OP won’t have to feel bad about chopping and threading a Steyr barrel.  Have to admit I had one cut down as my first FAL...the only one I had someone else build.  Regretted chopping it ever since!
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

How are they dangerous?

Maybe I should stop shooting the one I had 20,000 rounds and had a new barrel put on and have about 5K through it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:

How are they dangerous?

They pumped out a lot of garbage guns.  But at 20k rounds, I think you can assume yours is fine.  Which is good, because their resale value is horrible compared to something with a better receiver.  Hesse/Vulcan built their own receivers at one point, but might have also just done some builds on Imbel receivers as well, which would be far preferable...

I will give them this- they had some of the very first US made AK receivers.  The quality sucked on them- but they worked.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Hesse did import IMBEL receivers and sell them in bulk ---------------------- they are marked "XFAL"...

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

...sigh...

Hesse receivers frequently have issues that cause them to not work properly.
I don't remember seeing any that were 'dangerous'.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
A guy wants to trade this FAL to me and I have no idea what kind of value it has. His description:

It has type 2 cast receiver from DS arms. Steyr rotary hammer forged barrel. Steyr lower and bolt and carrier. Belgian wood stock and grip.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/26005_jpeg-2593265.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60540/26004_jpeg-2593266.JPG

My trade is worth about $1200, I wouldn't mind having a FAL but like I said,  I don't know anything about them.
View Quote

It looks like a refinished G1 kit to me.
Many of those had a lot of wear and corrosion, I would want bore pics before making an offer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Most ban era FAL barrels were silver solder on.

So all that is really needed is to heat and spin the muzzle device off. Righty losey of coarse

Then wire brush the threads and chase with a die if needed
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with Stimpy above, looks like an FN G1 kit. Those rifles went through Turkish hands before being surplussed out as kits. Bores can sometimes be pretty rough. $1200 seems high to me but, it's been a number of years since I bought my last Imbel/L1a1 fixer upper rifles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blitzkreig:
I agree with Stimpy above, looks like an FN G1 kit.
View Quote

Old thread, but for extra information, G1 barrels aren't threaded, but have a little lug on them, they used quick-detachable muzzle devices that latched on to the lug. There were many that came in with kits prior to the "barrel ban".
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my regrets was not buying one back when I could. That being said the reason I didn’t buy one was all I could find were Hess. Back then it was a hard pass. They had a terrible reputation. Today it’s a regret. I’m pretty sure I could have fixed the problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top