Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2024 5:48:21 PM EDT
I have no idea about anything Enfield but I found one on consignment and a war used Enfield is on my list of guns I want.  

It's marked 1943 stamped by the serial and the stock is painted with what I assume is an arsenal number.  The stock looks like it was used in a war but not too beat up.

To me the price seems high but maybe they are in the ballpark, thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
How much are they asking?  What manufacturer? Pics?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
How much are they asking?  What manufacturer? Pics?
View Quote
I didn't take any pics and I didn't realize there are multiple manufacturers.  I genuinely know nothing about them.  I didn't want to list the asking price so as to not taint opinions on value.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You’re going to have to have a lot more info if you want us to give you an accurate answer.

They were made in several different countries by different manufacturers, an Australian gun is going to have a different value than an American one for example.

We need pics, the more the better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
There are at least three Enfield sat play here.

The M1917 is a totally different design than the true Lee Enfield.

The No 1 mkIII is WAI vintage but Aussies made that pattern through WWI and beyond

The No4MK1 and MkII are more likely the British WWII rifles you seek unless you want Indian or Aussie or a WWI rifle.

The M1917 was not used by Brit’s but is a fine US rifle and was born of a British pattern 14 rifle that US was making for the Brits in WWI and we decided to make it our own for a time through WWII
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a No4 if that helps.  The store is closed, I would have to go back another time.  I'm sorry for the lack of info, I guess I don't know what I don't know here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the last ones I saw listed were $500-700. Obviously condition and manufacturer can affect value significantly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
It is a No4 if that helps.  The store is closed, I would have to go back another time.  I'm sorry for the lack of info, I guess I don't know what I don't know here.
View Quote

Should be a Mk1 then IIRC, grab pics of all the markings next time you’re there, check on the bottom of the barrel for import marks. Get a good look at the bore also.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
There are several flavors of MkI. The MkI, MkI* and if FTR'd potentially the Mk 1/2 and Mk 1/3.

Thats not counting derivatives like the Mk1 (T) snipers rifles, the L42 and so on.

IMO, the straight MkI is better than the MkI* due to the bolt catch rather than the slotted receiver rail that seems to be susceptible to damage.

Stocks and guards can be Birch, Beech or Walnut at least.

IIRC, No4 barrels were made with 2 and 5 groove rifling.

Most will have importers markings on the muzzle or the receiver.

See if the bolt handle S/N matches the receiver S/N. Headspace on Enfield's can be a divisive topic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
I didn't take any pics and I didn't realize there are multiple manufacturers.  I genuinely know nothing about them.  I didn't want to list the asking price so as to not taint opinions on value.
View Quote

Thats an interesting comment.................
Well with as much info as you've supplied............ anywhere between 100 and 2200 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

Should be a Mk1 then IIRC, grab pics of all the markings next time you're there, check on the bottom of the barrel for import marks. Get a good look at the bore also.
View Quote
Sure thing, is there anything it should include with it in addition to the rifle alone that would affect value?

Since this has had a few eyes the asking price is $1100.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#12]
At that price, its about double what your run of the mill No4 would go for.

There could be factors that make it worth that, but pics are needed.

Rear sight, left side of receiver where the serial # is and any markings would be a start.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:39:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neuraleanus] [#13]
An Enfield is worth more if the magazine serial number matches the rest of the rifle.  These need to be tuned to the rifle and can be a pain to do.  Better off done by the factory.  Bolt matching is only an issue if the head space is off.  If the rest of the rifle is in good or better condition then that is unlikely.  I check mine with a field gauge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
$1100 is way too much .

Run of the mill FR/FTR'd  No4 matching numbers, nice condition and good bore $500 tops. Less for ugly example or non matching.

For 1100 it better be a minty all original correct non rebuild/ftr 1943 rifle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#15]
If it's a Long Branch.... sell a kidney and buy it.

If it's a Savage... 'makes for a shit paddle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Neuraleanus:
An Enfield is worth more if the magazine serial number matches the rest of the rifle. .
View Quote

Not all are or need to be.
IIRC Canadian (Long Branch) rifles did not have/use/need serialized mags.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#17]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
... For 1100 it better be a minty all original correct non rebuild/ftr 1943 rifle.
View Quote
Such a thing does not exist.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#18]
$1100 is highway robbery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for your opinions guys, I will keep looking.  Any tips on what to look for?  My only real must be is war used era.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh the old days! My first #4 was bought at a gun show during the hey day of the importers late 80’s or early 90’s- piled up on the table, pick any one you want for 99 including bayonet.
When I was in college went to the old Springfield sporters in Pennsylvania when they used to have barns with racks hundreds of feet long filled with rifles. Pick any one you want - for $60 !I grabbed a P14 ( wish I still had that one an excellent shooter!) and when I went to cash out ($60 was half my income at the time as a college student doing weekend drills in the national guard) they handed you a box of ammo to go with it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
If it's a Long Branch.... sell a kidney and buy it.

If it's a Savage... 'makes for a shit paddle.
View Quote

Except the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't help on value of that rifle without info but from a guy who loves shooting ww2 era service rifles and has owned Mausers garands and a Finnish Mosin my 12/42 no4 enfield is a whoot to shoot and I might say my favorite to actually have on the range although Garands hold a special place in my heart.

To me the no4 has excellent sights, is of sturdy construction, handles and points nicely. 303 slams a steel plate like a 3006. Two stripper clips onto an open bolt then slamming the bolt back and forth for 10 rounds with the fast cocking mechanism is very very fun. To me it seems ruggedly simple but still a fine piece of machinery. It has a certain cool factor to it also. Most people have never even heard of or seen one. Unlike garands mausers and mosins.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the no4… I consider it the greatest bolt action battle rifle ever fielded. But $1100, unless in pristine, never issued condition, is a ridiculous price to ask.

I have a no4 MkII that I paid $1000 for a couple years ago, but it was a cherry, never before fired rifle. Even then, at the time, I know I paid (a lil) too much, but I was aware of it and was ok with it cuz it was exactly what I wanted and such cherry rifles had dried up by then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top