BCM
User Panel

Page / 48
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]

got a new boyds for my fv sr.  now to decide what color to use
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked through most of the thread but I couldn't confirm.

For a FV-SR with Tacticool stock and a Primary Arms 4-16x44 scope, would I need low or medium rings?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked through most of the thread but I couldn't confirm.

For a FV-SR with Tacticool stock and a Primary Arms 4-16x44 scope, would I need low or medium rings?

Thanks!
View Quote

hmmm, i think i got low rings
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like DIP is capitalizing on their parts for the MKII.... $45.97 plus shipping now...
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
@25 yds with about 5mph winds.  Bipod no rear bags

Testing out the Winchester M22 ammo.  Still looking for some SV ammo to buy and test.

20131223_154828 by defconskylude, on Flickr

Here's my best 50 yard group with 5mph winds

20131229_173936 by defconskylude, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked up a Leupold VX2 for it.  

It appears that the .22LR and 17HMR mags are the one and same?  True?  I'd like to pick up a couple extra.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Picked up a Leupold VX2 for it.  

It appears that the .22LR and 17HMR mags are the one and same?  True?  I'd like to pick up a couple extra.
View Quote

The 17HMR M2 mags are the same, not the HMR mags

Mach 2= necked down 22 lr
HMR = Necked down 22mag.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh, I misremembered.  The ad says HM2, so it looks like they're the same mags.  Cool.
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
So am I missing anything here?  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/714003618/MAG+SAV+MKII+22LR17HM2+10RD+BL

I feel like there's a big red flag that I'm not seeing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So am I missing anything here?  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/714003618/MAG+SAV+MKII+22LR17HM2+10RD+BL

I feel like there's a big red flag that I'm not seeing.
View Quote

Looks right to me
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
how are these rifles? is it worth the extra 300$ for the tactical stock? i often find myself holding my hand off the stock on my traditional stocked remington .22 so i think it would fit my shooting style better.

edit 1: i figure being that this thread has been around for a while i might as well condense some of the information.

PM me if anything needs corrections, i have not cited any of the information but most/all of the information has come from people in this thread.

through pg 17...
Do not dry fire

-FV-SR has a 16.5” bbl, trrsr has a 22” bbl both have 1/2"-28 threads on the muzzle

-the TR stock is a Boyds tacticool stock. they are often out of stock, if you want one dont try to wait for them to show "in stock" just order the stock and wait for them to make it.

-Cabelas has a green stocked version of the TR, dicks sporting goods has a tan version,and a desert marpat.

-Dip bottom metal, is a thicker plate to reduce flexing and allow more torque when attaching the action. http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602
Savage part numbers to convert to tacticool stock

-savage part numbers needed to change to the tr stock:

"#100264- rear trigger guard screw 5/32 hex

#105757- trigger guard hi-luster (they have a matte black, I didn't know this when I ordered)

#108015- magazine plate MkII e-receiver, black oxide

#700688- mag plate screw, blued

#106875- take down screw Boyds stock, 2 required (these are the same that came on my synthetic stock FV-SR)

Everything was $40 shipped from Savage. I don't know the part number for the matte trigger guard."

Scope rings

most scopes under 44mm should fit with low rings. 50mm may need med rings depending on the base used.

i have a 50mm scope it wont fit with weaver #24 mounts and weaver high rings. with the EGW 20 moa mount and high rings i have about .010-.015" clearance under the widest part of the scope...

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Well crap.  I'm the new owner of a FVSR.  You guys and your peer pressure

What muzzle device should I put on it?  For giggles, I am considering a Rainier XTC

ETA:  Kidding on the XTC.  If it didn't have a smaller diameter at the base of the device I would, but it would just look strange.  What do you guys recommend until I get a can?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well crap.  I'm the new owner of a FVSR.  You guys and your peer pressure

What muzzle device should I put on it?  For giggles, I am considering a Rainier XTC

ETA:  Kidding on the XTC.  If it didn't have a smaller diameter at the base of the device I would, but it would just look strange.  What do you guys recommend until I get a can?
View Quote

Same here.  Mine's enroute.  I already ordered the Boyd's stock/DIP kit.  I have a HA Guardian and a Sparrow (still in jail).  I'm excited to get this thing put together and try out that Leupold.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I plan on using an old A2 until my trust is done and I can order a Sparrow...
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Finally took mine out this weekend.  Results from 50 yds out, took a while to get it hitting paper, but once that was sorted it lined up quite nicely.
http://i.imgur.com/Dy1lSTHl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KBOFYors.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/4Ag3Coms.jpg
View Quote

What scope is this?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Just joined the club yesterday!
Now to figure out a quality bit not break the bank optic and rings.......
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, I've got my FV-SR, Mueller APT & rings, Boyd's stock and DIP kit on order...however, I am a little confused after reading some through this thread.

Are there any additional screws I will need to add the Tacticool stock or is everything included in the DIP kit?  I'm sure it will be obvious when all the parts arrive, but I'd like to have all the small parts on hand so I can start assembling as soon as everything arrives.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I did some more searching around on DIP and found these...think these are what I may need as some people said the stock screws are too short.

1" long action screws

EDIT2:  After drinking a cup of coffee and looking again, it looks like the DIP kit already comes with two 1" action screws, so I should not need any additional ones...at least I hope that is the case.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just joined the club yesterday!
Now to figure out a quality bit not break the bank optic and rings.......
View Quote

I have been debating the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40  at $124.95  vs the Nikon P-223 3x9x40 for $149.95...Leaning towards Nikon as it would suit my AR if I decided to...
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK, I've got my FV-SR, Mueller APT & rings, Boyd's stock and DIP kit on order...however, I am a little confused after reading some through this thread.

Are there any additional screws I will need to add the Tacticool stock or is everything included in the DIP kit?  I'm sure it will be obvious when all the parts arrive, but I'd like to have all the small parts on hand so I can start assembling as soon as everything arrives.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I did some more searching around on DIP and found these...think these are what I may need as some people said the stock screws are too short.

1" long action screws

EDIT2:  After drinking a cup of coffee and looking again, it looks like the DIP kit already comes with two 1" action screws, so I should not need any additional ones...at least I hope that is the case.
View Quote

It's been about a year since I bought mine. But iirc the kit comes with everything you need
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's been about a year since I bought mine. But iirc the kit comes with everything you need
View Quote

Thanks...that is the consensus I got after reading every page in this thread.  I can't wait to get everything put together...should be even more exciting once my Spectre II breaks out of jail.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#25]
yes it comes with the 4 necessary screws for the boyds tacticool..
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks...that is the consensus I got after reading every page in this thread.  I can't wait to get everything put together...should be even more exciting once my Spectre II breaks out of jail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea my outback just got out of jail a couple weeks back. It's silly quite. My brother is jealous that it's  quieter than his .30 cal Benjamin maurader air rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got out my bag of goodies and noticed I also had the trigger spring that came with my 10 FCP HS presision. I had bought a lighter trigger spring for it when I got it. Anyway, I noticed that trigger spring was a bit shorter than the one in my TR. I had also read here about taking a few coils off of the trigger spring to lighten it a bit more than you can originally. The posts I saw said to take off 2-3 coils. As luck would have it the spring from my 10 FCP is right at 2.5 coils shorter. So I stuck it it to check it out and its GREAT!! Its much lighter than the factory spring as light as it will go and the rifle still functions perfectly.

LEFT - Savage FCP factory spring RIGHT - Savage MKII TR factory spring
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j394/Rodney_Downs/Guns%20and%20Shooting/Savage%20MKII%20TR/DSC_0022.jpg

FCP spring installed in the MKII TR
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j394/Rodney_Downs/Guns%20and%20Shooting/Savage%20MKII%20TR/DSC_0026.jpg

Borrowing a trigger pull guage to check the poundage tonight. Im expecting around 1#...Checked the trigger last night. 1# 1oz
View Quote

Was this ever confirmed to be a good choice to lighten trigger pull safely?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like DIP is capitalizing on their parts for the MKII.... $45.97 plus shipping now...
View Quote

I got mine from Boyds with the stock and at the time it was only a $25-27 up charge for the kit.  This was at the begning of Dec.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought the parts on Boyds website were savage original?? are they DIP???
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought the parts on Boyds website were savage original?? are they DIP???
View Quote

Boyd's site does not sell the DIP parts, they are Savage OEM parts.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]
What reticle would you guys recommend for the Nikon prostaff? Mil-dot? BDC?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What reticle would you guys recommend for the Nikon prostaff? Mil-dot? BDC?
View Quote
On a 22 I prefer the Nikoplex or precision reticle of the Target EFR.

BDC is great for a centerfire rifle IMO.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Best group of the day at 50yds.  Top 6 groups of the day here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, my bro in law was working on his 10/22 Tacticool the other day, so I convinced him to do mine as well. He textured our grips, installed flush cups, and removed 2 of the sling studs. I also opened up my barrel channel a little bit. Here it is in its ugly duckling stage stripped of paint and getting ready for duracoat. excuse the HDMR I put it on there just for fun today. Here is also a fun little  iPhone video rapid firing at a 1/3 IDPA piece of steel at 100 yards, if you crank up your speakers you can hear the hits between shots.. Ill post up some pics of it finished next week.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Went and did some shots at 75yards.  All the room I had today...  

Here is CCI 40g subsonic first grouping-5 shots -  squares are 1"

CCI 40g subsonic second group

Remington subsonic HP

I also shot Winchester super X,  but it was garbage.  Very inaccurate and unpredictable!  I was very surprised, it was hit or miss some were very on and others were 4-6 inches in any direction...

I will be going in 2 weeks to fill out paperwork for a can.  Any suggestions?  The savage will be the primary host, maybe on 15-22 as well....
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#36]
i am looking for one of these, who has one for the best price?

Edit : looking for one of the fv-sr's
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Checked Vances and surprise surprise.  I'd jump on it as lots of the bigger chains tend to price them closer to $250+ and these things are generally pretty tough to find.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I picked one up from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore for $225 shipped last week.  They are OOS now, but you can sign up to be notified.  They keep going in and out of stock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I will be going in 2 weeks to fill out paperwork for a can.  Any suggestions?  The savage will be the primary host, maybe on 15-22 as well....
View Quote

Silencerco Sparrow
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Silencerco Sparrow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silencerco Sparrow

+1 I'll be getting one sometime this year I hope.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks guys for the heads up, dont know if i should wait to see how long till the sportsmen superstore gets one or order from vance, their shipping is $27 bux it says so, the deal isnt that great compared..to the other on linked...hummm
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Also as this thread is longer then shit..lol

What do i need to adapt the boyds tacticool stock to this model FV-SR?  

As in do i need any extra parts?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

thanks
View Quote

The usual DIP kit, triggerguard, etc
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks

Thanks for the info, but can you help me out a little more, what exactly?

Or links?

thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Okay another newb to this platform question

If and when i get the rifle and boyds tacticool stock.

What do i NEED to order to make it work?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Optic, ammo, and mags.

For a new stock, the stock and a DIP kit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Optic, ammo, and mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optic, ammo, and mags.

Thanks!!!

One more question  what DIP kit do i need?  the one linked above or are there other kits?

Just trying to understand what exactly i need and dont.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
*snip*

One more question  what DIP kit do i need?  the one linked above or are there other kits?

Just trying to understand what exactly i need and dont.
View Quote

The one linked above will be all you need alongside the Boyd's Tacticool stock.  Some folks have said the stock is thin/fragile where the receiver is attached and some have bedded it to prevent putting stress on the stock.  May end up doing it myself this year.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Just picked mine up today.
And found the scope rail had been dinged during shipping

Thumbs up to Savage's Customer Service Dept though.
Made a call as soon as I got back to work and a
new rail will be shipped out Monday morning.

Now to fiigure out which scopet o put on it.
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top