Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well when you decide to put it up an advanced warning to keep an eye pointed to the mil-spec gear section would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got a little bit of woodland gear left. Sometime I would like to build myself a Smersh type rig in woodland.

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0504_zps886e357f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0504_zps886e357f.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0394_zpse5d4242e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0394_zpse5d4242e.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/IMG_0393_zpsc5bcc629.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/IMG_0393_zpsc5bcc629.jpg</a>

View Quote

What pack is that...where can I get one...?...
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most of what I run is Woodland. I still think it is all around the best camo for most greened up environments. The black tones especially help you fade into shadows which is important.
View Quote

It's that black tone that makes Woodland stick out in most environments short of deep, dark forest. As much as I enjoy the nostalgia of Woodland, it is not that good of a camo pattern. Remove the black and it would work quite well. Take a look at any natural setting and tell me how much black you actually see. Even shadows are rarely that dark and defined.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's that black tone that makes Woodland stick out in most environments short of deep, dark forest. As much as I enjoy the nostalgia of Woodland, it is not that good of a camo pattern. Remove the black and it would work quite well. Take a look at any natural setting and tell me how much black you actually see. Even shadows are rarely that dark and defined.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of what I run is Woodland. I still think it is all around the best camo for most greened up environments. The black tones especially help you fade into shadows which is important.

IME woodland works pretty well here in the southeast. In a lot of places during spring/summer it's much better than multicam
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of pouches are those that you have the nalgeen bottles in? I have heard good things about those condor suspenders, why are you replacing them? have they been holding up to any hard use?        
Quoted:

Piss poor picture but you can get the idea.  Mostly surplus items; USGI Molle warbelt that I setup in a more traditional LBE style, works great in the hills of East TN/West NC.  IFAK is S.O. Tech, suspenders are Condor and are surprisingly more comfortable and robust than expected - I'll be replacing them with a padded harness from Beez Combat Systems soon.  Emdom USA is now offering Woodland as a custom color option, no idea what the extra cost is like, I intend to eventually take advantage of that as well.  I'll try to get some better pics later this week.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/SwiftFox14/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-02/76029B52-F2FB-4E78-B7C9-2E569BBB3258_zpswn9omnvy.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's my favorite piece of woodland gear
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet helmet, what's the story on the cover? I wouldn't mind getting a hold of something like that.

Badfish - The pouches are just USGI MOLLE II Canteen Pouches, nothing special, but they do fit the Nalgenes pretty well.  As for the suspenders, they've been holding up pretty good.  As I said before, they are more comfortable and robust than I originally anticipated.  I just want something that's actually in the woodland pattern; might try a Safariland SPEAR rig instead of spending the money on new suspenders from Beez.  We'll see, I'm too indecisive sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I kept a set of BDUs and ABDUs, a field jacket, and a few Alice compatible items like 2quart canteens and a CLS bag.  I might still have a JSLIST in woodland in the wrap, haven't gone through that bin for about 10 years...
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]

GI 500d around the NVD porthole; the rest is 50/50 NyCo Twill fabric, on a Large FAST Ballistic Helmet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Woodland is still plentiful.  It just takes a little perseverance in searching.  I frequent yard sales, Craigslist, thrift stores, flea markets, ebay, the EE here, other message boards, and USRO for my stuff.

I'll try to get pics up of the woodland pile in my man cave, but recently I've picked up a number of Safariland SPEAR pieces, a LBT 10 pocket mountain ruck, a large Molle 2/10th mountain ruck, a TT 2 piece MAV, a Camelbak MULE, and various other pouches and BDUs.

I roll my eyes at the "woodland is not effective cuz it has black in it" argument.  I'm not a camo snob.  I have OD, Marpat, Coyote, DPM and multicam stuff and like it too.  I personally like to mix it up; camo pants with an OD shirt, etc.  Any earth tone or woodsy pattern is gonna be ok for me here in the SE USA.  I've played wargames and gone out and played with camera angles and different camo in the bushes.  It all works just fine.  It all gets wet and dirty and blends together in short order.  Better to learn how to hide and move through the woods then rely on a magic camo pattern to disappear.  Just my .02

Speaking of woodland gear, if anyone has a TT X harness, I need one to go with my new 2 piece MAV.  =)
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sweet helmet, what's the story on the cover? I wouldn't mind getting a hold of something like that.

Badfish - The pouches are just USGI MOLLE II Canteen Pouches, nothing special, but they do fit the Nalgenes pretty well.  As for the suspenders, they've been holding up pretty good.  As I said before, they are more comfortable and robust than I originally anticipated.  I just want something that's actually in the woodland pattern; might try a Safariland SPEAR rig instead of spending the money on new suspenders from Beez.  We'll see, I'm too indecisive sometimes.
View Quote

I was looking for a helmet for a high cut (TC2001) ACH. The only cover, in existence it seems, is a airsoft woodland one sold by Evike.com
http://www.evike.com/products/33759/

Seems they also have a mesh/multicam one but its out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I was hungry and made myself a taco for a 20rd 308 mag and in wc.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
2011 pic of my then new Paraclete HPC in WC

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#16]
LBT PC this time

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah stick with ALICE for a pack.  I never issued a MOLLE pack that wasn't held together with zipties and duct tape.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
bump for more photos!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with good old woodicam!
View Quote

Agreed!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
This just in, so I'm sure you've all heard the Army just chose the Scorpion pattern to replace UCP. Well, they've also just announced that they will be testing bookend patterns in the fall and woodland is back in the running to be readopted for use. It is still being issued at the Army jungle warfare school in Hawaii and apparently doing very well there. This coupled with MARSOCs continued use of the pattern makes me think that Woodland just may get it's second renaissance.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LBT PC this time

<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/DefConNC/media/forum%20pictures/19151535-7E1C-4359-89AD-42DF29009636_zpsw1ndyd7z.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/forum%20pictures/19151535-7E1C-4359-89AD-42DF29009636_zpsw1ndyd7z.jpg</a>
View Quote

I never go on Ebay and a buddy of mine sent me a link to those PC's but I wasnt able to get one before the seller sold out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Woodland is still plentiful.  It just takes a little perseverance in searching.  I frequent yard sales, Craigslist, thrift stores, flea markets, ebay, the EE here, other message boards, and USRO for my stuff.

I'll try to get pics up of the woodland pile in my man cave, but recently I've picked up a number of Safariland SPEAR pieces, a LBT 10 pocket mountain ruck, a large Molle 2/10th mountain ruck, a TT 2 piece MAV, a Camelbak MULE, and various other pouches and BDUs.

I roll my eyes at the "woodland is not effective cuz it has black in it" argument.  I'm not a camo snob.  I have OD, Marpat, Coyote, DPM and multicam stuff and like it too.  I personally like to mix it up; camo pants with an OD shirt, etc.  Any earth tone or woodsy pattern is gonna be ok for me here in the SE USA.  I've played wargames and gone out and played with camera angles and different camo in the bushes.  It all works just fine.  It all gets wet and dirty and blends together in short order.  Better to learn how to hide and move through the woods then rely on a magic camo pattern to disappear.  Just my .02

Speaking of woodland gear, if anyone has a TT X harness, I need one to go with my new 2 piece MAV.  =)
View Quote

Often that is only an issue under NV, at which point it can be VERY apparent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Not gonna lie: I popped a bit of a chub with all that woodland awesomness.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:14:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Fair bit of "Old-School Woodland" in that shot

ETA: Do I spy some UW Gear products? Some of those mag pouches' flaps look awful familiar
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes, you do.
View Quote

Some UW Gear items have been on my wish-list of late. Kinda looking forward to the rumored upcoming releases before I jump, though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have OD also.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
bump, let's keep this going,  I now there is more WC out there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
you cannot go through the boonies in the Midwest and not find any

I did find some of my very small size surplus stuff that my kids could grow into.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Very similar rifle set ups. Interesting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#36]
more woodland photos
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Let's keep this going with photo's.  Raf would like to you see your stash of wc.  Like a fool, I traded and sold some of my wc gear.  Great set-up Hawkeye and  I thank you for your contribution.

Quoted:

On viewing a static photo in the open you could possibly make that argument. However, it's been our experience when in the bush that it's not an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Notice how the middle guy, and the right-hand guy have very nice center-of-mass markers by virtue if their different camo gear?   OD pack straps would be much better, as would be an OD chest pouch for the middle guy..

On viewing a static photo in the open you could possibly make that argument. However, it's been our experience when in the bush that it's not an issue.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#41]

TT harness
 2 pc MAV
 Emdom B.O.M.B. Medical Pouch
 TT Misc pouch
 spec-ops light pouch
 custom taco's
 TT rifle pouch's
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#42]

I'd wonder about some of the rigs being available with OD or brown webbing, vice Coyote, personally. Then again, since I live in a perpetually semi-arid zone, a more Coyote-leaning camouflage scheme would probably work better anyway.

But it does look, in this one picture, that the lighter Coyote webbing would stick out against the overall darker Woodland and Temperate DPM camo. Even more so for the Multicam plate carrier in the middle.

As an aside, I'm guessing you're the Hawkeye of UW Gear? Any word on the belt rig you hinted at earlier this year?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Got entire MOLLE Rifleman kit in Woodland. The ruck, assault pack, pouches, FLC, everything. Picked it up still in the box.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
2011 pic of my then new Paraclete HPC in WC

<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/DefConNC/media/Oct%202011%20Carbine/DSC01488.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/Oct%202011%20Carbine/DSC01488.jpg</a>
View Quote

i called dibs on this long ago if you ever decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Whitetail deer are a coyote-brownish color, and hide pretty good in the woods.....just sayin.

And yeah, like I said, in a static picture, its easy to find contrasts, etc....

Belt rig? Never heard of such a thing. Nope. Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd wonder about some of the rigs being available with OD or brown webbing, vice Coyote, personally. Then again, since I live in a perpetually semi-arid zone, a more Coyote-leaning camouflage scheme would probably work better anyway.

But it does look, in this one picture, that the lighter Coyote webbing would stick out against the overall darker Woodland and Temperate DPM camo. Even more so for the Multicam plate carrier in the middle.

As an aside, I'm guessing you're the Hawkeye of UW Gear? Any word on the belt rig you hinted at earlier this year?

Whitetail deer are a coyote-brownish color, and hide pretty good in the woods.....just sayin.

And yeah, like I said, in a static picture, its easy to find contrasts, etc....

Belt rig? Never heard of such a thing. Nope. Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.

Yeah, that's why I added the caveat of "in this picture," having seen the color work pretty well in the Sierra Nevada mountains not far from me.

I'll just keep an eye and ear open for more of that twaddle-speak
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got entire MOLLE Rifleman kit in Woodland. The ruck, assault pack, pouches, FLC, everything. Picked it up still in the box.

You suck.

What sucks is, they were throwing them away, years ago. IIRC, there were like 40-50 of them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top