Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I got on the list.  I've been wanting one of these for a while....5-6 months give me time to save up too...
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got on the list.  I've been wanting one of these for a while....5-6 months give me time to save up too...
View Quote

I'm actually thinking of spending the money I have saved for this and getting an FDE Tavor X95 since it will be a while for this one to come out.

BTW these are starting to hit online gunstores as out of stock inventory. Just do a Google search for stg77sa and you will see them. MSRP seems to be listed at $2625.00 with retail  listed in the $21XX to $25XX with obviously zero in stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's not just "retro", it's essentially an A1/A2 updated with better internals, receiver, and sold brand new with a great warranty from Steyr - and limited to 400 units only.
View Quote
What is better about the internals? I suppose they'll have roller-equipped bolt carriers, but what else? Wasn't the only problem with the old receiver design looseness developed by dismounting then reattaching the optic housing too many times, plus slot wear attributed to the A1 charging handle? Did they redesign the charging handles for these, while still making them look old?

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is better about the internals? I suppose they'll have roller-equipped bolt carriers, but what else? Wasn't the only problem with the old receiver design looseness developed by dismounting then reattaching the optic housing too many times, plus slot wear attributed to the A1 charging handle? Did they redesign the charging handles for these, while still making them look old?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not just "retro", it's essentially an A1/A2 updated with better internals, receiver, and sold brand new with a great warranty from Steyr - and limited to 400 units only.

The A1 charging handle didn't wear the receiver slot. Steyr's coating method was a stove black type paint. The coating wasn't very durable to the way the plastic charging handle knob rubbed when you charged the AUG causing the paint to wear down. Steyr's solution is literally to repaint it. The charging handle should be the same, don't see why they would redesign it - with an anodized receiver, the plastic charging handle knob isn't going to rub off your anodization.

The A2 scope/rail to receiver interface could have issues if you messed with it too much, it was a neat design but not very practical.

The internals to the carrier are better, all the parts with a green arrow have been updated with a new and better design (except for one, but then you'd have a machine gun if you needed that part).

The M1 receiver is much improved compared to the A1/A2 receiver - very noticeable if you flip them upside down.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
OK thanks. I forgot about the improved firing pin retention. How often were there problems with the original firing pin retention?

I have an A3 receiver, but have never studied the bottom of any A1/A2 receiver. So they are stronger in addition to having a better finish?

Do you think the A1 charging handle is superior to the A2/A3 handle? I've seen some guys state the A1 feels more "solid". I guess since it cannot fold, you always know it will be in the same orientation when you reach for it. It seems it would be easier to perform the forward assist function with it as well (although I never hear of anyone needing that feature.) Sometimes my sling folds my A3 handle up. If it was an A1 handle instead, could that possibly pull the bolt out-of-battery under similar circumstances?

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK thanks. I forgot about the improved firing pin retention. How often were there problems with the original firing pin retention? Not sure, but it must have been enough that Steyr changed the design going forward.

I have an A3 receiver, but have never studied the bottom of any A1/A2 receiver. So they are stronger in addition to having a better finish? The A1/A2/SR receivers are a good but the A3 is a lot "beefier".

Do you think the A1 charging handle is superior to the A2/A3 handle? In my opinion, yes. I prefer it to the newer folding style.
I've seen some guys state the A1 feels more "solid". Others might say "solid" because it can't fold. I like it because it is slightly larger and palm up (pinky/ring finger) charging is really easy.
I guess since it cannot fold, you always know it will be in the same orientation when you reach for it. Maybe, don't really have an opinion either way. Never had a problem with the folding charging handles not being there when I reached for it.
It seems it would be easier to perform the forward assist function with it as well (although I never hear of anyone needing that feature.) I haven't had to use the forward assist while shooting, but if you were to slowly do a visual check on the chamber I could see the utility of the forward assist function. In my experience using the forward assist on an unloaded gun (to familiarize myself with the function of it) the folding charging handle style is slightly easier to manipulate than the old style. With the old style you just press on the button as you press forward - the folding you just push to the side while pushing forward.
Sometimes my sling folds my A3 handle up. If it was an A1 handle instead, could that possibly pull the bolt out-of-battery under similar circumstances? Could it ever happen? Maybe. What's the chance of it happening? extremely low and probably just as likely as with the A3 AUG.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]

I have a prediction.  

The 40th anniversary STG77 will indeed be limited to 400 units, and there will be no more ever built with the anniversary marked stock and special soft case.   However, when these are gone, this exact AUG configuration will then be made available indefinitely.  I take a small hint from the limited white stocked version that sold so well they made more.  

Where are these parts coming from?  Are they using old molds for the plastic parts?  Are any of the plastic parts new surplus?  Are the skinny optics machined from surplus A1 receivers?  I'm just doubting Steyr would invest a lot in tooling and so forth to make a run of 400.   It doesn't take much to mold a stock from different colored goo, but this seems like a significant investment for the company to scrap after a single run.  Your thoughts?

BTW, I also predict AUGs will be available in other colors in the near future.  Perhaps the old USR gray?  How many would sell in pink?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The Tavor, it's way better than that old ass dinosaur.

Just kidding the Tavor sucks balls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a prediction.  

The 40th anniversary STG77 will indeed be limited to 400 units, and there will be no more ever built with the anniversary marked stock and special soft case.   However, when these are gone, this exact AUG configuration will then be made available indefinitely.  I take a small hint from the limited white stocked version that sold so well they made more.  

Where are these parts coming from?  Are they using old molds for the plastic parts?  Are any of the plastic parts new surplus?  Are the skinny optics machined from surplus A1 receivers?  I'm just doubting Steyr would invest a lot in tooling and so forth to make a run of 400.   It doesn't take much to mold a stock from different colored goo, but this seems like a significant investment for the company to scrap after a single run.  Your thoughts?

BTW, I also predict AUGs will be available in other colors in the near future.  Perhaps the old USR gray?  How many would sell in pink?
View Quote

I hope this is true I would love to get on of these they look beautiful..
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They are using current production parts.   The optic is going to be a current M1 optic housing with the rails shaved off.   This is what we were told when we were meeting with Steyr about some other things at SHOT.

As for the stock marking, they will just change out the insert on the mold that molds the model number on the stock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a prediction.  

They are using current production parts.   The optic is going to be a current M1 optic housing with the rails shaved off.   This is what we were told when we were meeting with Steyr about some other things at SHOT.

As for the stock marking, they will just change out the insert on the mold that molds the model number on the stock.

Sounds as if it will have the bolt hold open then.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds as if it will have the bolt hold open then.
View Quote

The A1 stocks are still made for some customers. No bolt release button.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK thanks. I forgot about the improved firing pin retention. How often were there problems with the original firing pin retention?

View Quote

A Steyr employee told me that the retention device was designed after they attached a grenade launcher to the rifle. When the grenade launcher fired, nothing held the firing pin in place, and inertia could let it come forward, while the rifle could torque just enough (due to the grenade following the rifling) that the firing pin could free itself. Theoretically, it made sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]
That makes perfect sense.

The only other design change I think we didn't discuss in this thread are the guide rods for the bolt carrier. My understanding is that, prior to the A3, thicker ones were used on the full-autos (with correspondingly larger holes in the bolt carrier), and smaller diameter ones for the semiautos. With the A3, Steyr switched to smaller diameter for both.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a prediction.  

shave off rails on the current optic housing sounds terrible. .
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Surely the Steyr guy was trying to be descriptive, not literal.  Even if you milled the rails off,  the tubes themselves are not similar.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Surely the Steyr guy was trying to be descriptive, not literal.  Even if you milled the rails off,  the tubes themselves are not similar.

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/Optic.jpg
http://steyr-aug.com/313a2rs.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/Optic.jpg
http://steyr-aug.com/313a2rs.jpg

I hope....
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Below are a few pics of the actual scope the STG77 will have, no shaved rails or modified scope!

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Below are a few pics of the actual scope the STG77 will have, no shaved rails or modified scope!

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/stg77scope.jpg
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/stg77scope1.jpg
http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/stg77scope2.jpg
View Quote

Fantastic!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#22]
This scope looks 10X better than the scope with the rails.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standalone upgrade option for the regular M1 please!  In 3X also of course!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
The optic is the main reason I ordered this over the standard M1 but as I said before I think I'd rather have an M1 16in with this optic. That optic looks awesome!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok that's better!!! now if we can get some of the full railed SF scope in for my M1 I'll be a very happy person
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm looking forward to getting the STG 77.  I can always swap out the 20" barrel with the 16" one from my A3 for a shorter old school look if I want....
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that the actual receiver, too? Looks like it has the receiver rail (which I like).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is that the actual receiver, too? Looks like it has the receiver rail (which I like).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STG77 will have the M1 receiver but will not have the side rail on it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#29]
This is cool and I'm very glad that many here are super excited and that Steyr is doing this. Kinda old meets new.

And it's cool that they'll be putting "STG 77" on it instead of "AUG". But this thing with the differences isn't any closer to being an STG. 77 than the older preban A1's. In fact the new model is farther away. If I had the gun money (spent that on Beretta's and other AUG's, etc,  this year) then I might buy one. But I"m happy with my old preban AUG.

Still cool to see nonetheless
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm by no means a stickler for historical accuracy in these matters, so just having an uncluttered optic with clean lines, with everything else being modern, would be "retro" enough for me.

What's be the AR-15 equivalent of this? Like taking just a modern A2 lower and A1 upper, giving it a 20" 1:7 pencil barrel, putting triangular handguards and A1 stock on it, and calling it "retro-looking enough"?

Is there any brief summary of which parts on this are anything other than just the standard M1/A3?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Optic

Stock (A3 bolt release omitted, STG 77 marking)

Flash hider check nut

Pete said the side receiver rail will be omitted, so I guess the holes will be too.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool, I don't need the subtleties of the stock and nut, so as far as I'm concerned I'd be thrilled to just get a regular M1 but with the retro scope option. Definitely it'd be awesome if Steyr were to offer just the sleek scope as an option for the rest of us who don't want to fight over a slightly more accurate retro version.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
They'll probably want to sell as many complete rifles as they can prior to releasing the optic by itself. Because marketing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They'll probably want to sell as many complete rifles as they can prior to releasing the optic by itself. Because marketing.
View Quote

They're only making 400, which is not many at all. They don't need to sell them, they're already spoken for. Realistically by the time these are actually released, the gun world will be in panic mode and these will be sold at any price not for being a special run AUG, but for just being a gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#35]
How do you know they're only making 400?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How do you know they're only making 400?
View Quote

Look at the date when this thread was created (before I could say anything). I knew there were only going to be 400 before then and I still know there are going to only be 400 now...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#37]
They might omit "40th Anniversary" on the stock and make more, or they may start offering those optics on the M1. Unless you control production, you can't really know. Just like Dustyattic pointed out about the white stocks.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They might omit "40th Anniversary" on the stock and make more, or they may start offering those optics on the M1. Unless you control production, you can't really know. Just like Dustyattic pointed out about the white stocks.  
View Quote

They could, that's possible. But Steyr is trying to avoid the white stock debacle (that was actually a point brought up by Steyr). What is certain is that there will only be 400 of the 40th anniversary STG77's.

Whether or not they decide to offer an AUG with that optic housing, I don't know. I hope the backlash from the white stock mess makes them think twice before doing a AUG similar to the new STG77.

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I'd guess that they wouldn't due to the optic tubes being different than the new M1 tubes. I think these tubes are old stock. Swarovski hasn't made glass for the AUG in 20 years, and the tubes made by Meopta (the current provider) are the A3 type and are not interchangeable.

If the scope housing were changed, then all this wouldn't matter.

Either way though, the STG77's have features you can't get with the normal AUG's. If the slim type optic shows up down the road it is not going to hurt the value of these 400. If someone is buying solely for the slim type scope, they're overlooking some other features of the STG77.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is there any brief summary of which parts on this are anything other than just the standard M1/A3?
View Quote

Receiver has no side rail
Receiver uses A1 charging handle
Receiver markings omit AUG. Model is STG77 and serials are unique to these guns
May or may not use the old logo instead of the new logo - may or may not have a logo
Optic housing is slim type
Optic tube is "circle - dot" (donut of death with a center dot)
Gasblock on barrel has matching serial number
Barrel checknut is old hex type
Flash hider is old closed type
Carrier has corresponding serial number
Hammer pack is A1 type
Stock is A1 type
Stock is marked STG77 and 40th anniversary, omitting AUG
This is the first "factory built" gun made with a 20" barrel this century
This is the only time the model name has changed from "AUG" in 20 years
20" only
Green only
Factory case with the old Steyr logo

That's what makes it different than any M1 AUG you can buy today.

As a realist, "Specs subject to change"
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Outstanding!  Glad they decided to go all out instead of just shaving the M1 scope- I bet they will sell a lot of those scopes if they keep them in production!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding!  Glad they decided to go all out instead of just shaving the M1 scope- I bet they will sell a lot of those scopes if they keep them in production!

Yes please!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#41]
So awesome!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Stock is marked STG77 and 40th anniversary, omitting AUG
View Quote

I wish they would leave off the 40th Anniversary marking.  I don't like commemoratives marked as such.
Just let it look like the old model as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread inspired me to seek out an older model with the Swarovski scope, so I found a used one on Gunbroker for $1330 shipped.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This thread inspired me to seek out an older model with the Swarovski scope, so I found a used one on Gunbroker for $1330 shipped.  
View Quote

would love to have that 1.5  Swaro Cobra scope & reticle (if they only made it with a 1MOA illuminated dot this time)
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Illumination would be nice. I'm satisfied with the old-school optic.

As received:

I have a spare A3 stock, so...

I'm used to hitting that A3 release, so it'd be weird not having that. I'm going to get the parts to mod the pack into an A3, so I won't have to borrow my other pack.

Obviously it's no "special edition" but I love it! I think 16" barrels are long enough.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As received:
View Quote

Looks like a "de-banned" USR - I assume the receiver & stock are so-marked?  Did you get the USR barrel also?

Drop me a PM if you want to part with the gray USR stock/foregrip (can't tell from the pictures on this screen if either/both are the USR gray).
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks like a "de-banned" USR - I assume the receiver & stock are so-marked?  Did you get the USR barrel also?

Drop me a PM if you want to part with the gray USR stock/foregrip (can't tell from the pictures on this screen if either/both are the USR gray).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As received:

Dang it, I need a grey grip and cap too... too slow.

But if kitbuilder wants to swap the barrel release button to black, I'll take that green colored button off his hands.

Nice find on a good shooter BTW.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
It would really be cool if they came with this handguard.

This handguard + a 2020 trigger pac from Ratworx would solve most of my complaints.

Pic is from Maleante old thread

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It would really be cool if they came with this handguard.

This handguard + a 2020 trigger pac from Ratworx would solve most of my complaints.

Pic is from Maleante old thread

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/maleantemalandro/STG_77/SteyrAUGzSPORT/ste-aug-spo-02_zps28345e90.jpg
View Quote

Isn't this for the straight pull that doesn't have a gas system?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top