Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
This thing is really a battery drain on my HTC one  M7. What is everyone else getting out of battery life while using this? I'm wondering if maybe I don't look into a dedicated phone option and shop around for something that has a massive battery on it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just bought mine!! Cant wait to get it already!

Has anybody bought a case to place their TA and dedicated phone for protection or while driving around.  I work out of my squad and putting gear in and out i would like to protect my investment.

Of course pelican comes to mind...does anybody have any measurements/dimensions of the phone with the TA.  It should be known i did get a galaxy S3.

Thanks a lot!!

Andy
View Quote

pelican 1150 holds everything including handle, extra cables, and batteries. I am going to try a 1060 to see if it can fit just the phone and thermapp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This thing is really a battery drain on my HTC one  M7. What is everyone else getting out of battery life while using this? I'm wondering if maybe I don't look into a dedicated phone option and shop around for something that has a massive battery on it.
View Quote

As I posted above, an S3 with a ZeroLemon extended battery case will get 10+ hours
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually hoping for something specifically for the HTC One - which doesn't have a removable battery. I've looked at external battery cases, but I'm not sure if I can use one of those and the Therm-App at the same time. Not sure if they support the whole USB Passthrough piece of the equation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was actually hoping for something specifically for the HTC One - which doesn't have a removable battery. I've looked at external battery cases, but I'm not sure if I can use one of those and the Therm-App at the same time. Not sure if they support the whole USB Passthrough piece of the equation.
View Quote

Be the guinea pig

I am curious what type of battery life you are getting?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Pelican 1200 case laying around here. Lots of wasted space, but I can maybe come up with other uses for it.

It doesn't look like it from the angle of this pic, but the way I notched it out for the camera itself, the lens doesn't touch anything. The phone I have in the front is a Galaxy S4 with an Otterbox Commuter case. That's my current main phone, so it won't be staying in the case. But down the road when I upgrade, it may be relegated to strictly ThermApp duty.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

pelican 1150 holds everything including handle, extra cables, and batteries. I am going to try a 1060 to see if it can fit just the phone and thermapp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anybody bought a case to place their TA and dedicated phone for protection or while driving around.  I work out of my squad and putting gear in and out i would like to protect my investment.

Of course pelican comes to mind...does anybody have any measurements/dimensions of the phone with the TA.  It should be known i did get a galaxy S3.

Thanks a lot!!

Andy

Okay very nice thanks! I think the 1150 will be a little bulky for me...my PD does use the 1060 for our digital camera and im pretty positive it would work great for just the phone and therm app...just add foam and your set...ill probably be ordering one of those

Edit: although looking at the picture above the TA looks like it takes up alot of space in the pelican case...
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Because of the mounting bracket it does take some space. Although the mounting bracket is why I was able to get it in there in such a way that nothing needs to touch the lens.

I may yet get a slightly smaller case. I just had this one available. Although if I can think up a use for the other side of the case for related equipment, I may stick with this one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because of the mounting bracket it does take some space. Although the mounting bracket is why I was able to get it in there in such a way that nothing needs to touch the lens.

I may yet get a slightly smaller case. I just had this one available. Although if I can think up a use for the other side of the case for related equipment, I may stick with this one.
View Quote

with that setup you could fit a PVS14 next to it...have all your night-time stuff all ready to go in one case.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

with that setup you could fit a PVS14 next to it...have all your night-time stuff all ready to go in one case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm... That's not a bad idea. What's a decent PVS14 going for these days?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decent? $2-3,000

Sorry to ruin your dreams

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay very nice thanks! I think the 1150 will be a little bulky for me...my PD does use the 1060 for our digital camera and im pretty positive it would work great for just the phone and therm app...just add foam and your set...ill probably be ordering one of those

Edit: although looking at the picture above the TA looks like it takes up alot of space in the pelican case...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot!!

Andy

bad news. The 1060 isn't deep enough to put a thermapp with attached phone inside it. You would have to take them apart.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up an 1120. Fits my therm-app, the handle, and my phone - not assembled though. I was going for smallest case possible.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

bad news. The 1060 isn't deep enough to put a thermapp with attached phone inside it. You would have to take them apart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks a lot!!

Andy

damn that really sucks!! i was hoping it would work out :(
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I picked up an 1120. Fits my therm-app, the handle, and my phone - not assembled though. I was going for smallest case possible.
View Quote

ill have to check this one out...thanks!

i just looked at it and its actually not that much different from the 1060...here are the specs:

1060:
Interior (l/w/d)
8.25" x 4.25" x 2.25"
Exterior (l/w/d)
9.37" x 5.56" x 2.62"

1120:
Interior (l/w/d)
7.25" x 4.75" x 3.06"
Exterior (l/w/d)
8.12" x 6.56" x 3.56"
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Ordered mine earlier this week patiently waiting for them to ship.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

i just looked at it and its actually not that much different from the 1060...here are the specs:

1060:
Interior (l/w/d)
8.25" x 4.25" x 2.25"
Exterior (l/w/d)
9.37" x 5.56" x 2.62"

1120:
Interior (l/w/d)
7.25" x 4.75" x 3.06"
Exterior (l/w/d)
8.12" x 6.56" x 3.56"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1060:
Interior (l/w/d)
8.25" x 4.25" x 2.25"
Exterior (l/w/d)
9.37" x 5.56" x 2.62"

1120:
Interior (l/w/d)
7.25" x 4.75" x 3.06"
Exterior (l/w/d)
8.12" x 6.56" x 3.56"

its enough difference to where one fits it and the other doesn't.  I also don't have my therm app placed like the prior pictures. My therm app lays on its back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]
listen to this...let me know if this makes sense to you...

i ordered my ThermApp on Monday morning at around 5am...i then ordered my Galaxy S3 off ebay at about 515am...

ThermApp comes from Israel and the phone is coming from Kalifornia...

on my door at 10am Wednesday Oct 15 i had a not from fed ex saying i missed them...and i missed them yesterday the 16th...i didnt miss them today and lo and behold its my ThermApp...

still waiting on my phone from Kalifornia.............
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

its enough difference to where one fits it and the other doesn't.  I also don't have my therm app placed like the prior pictures. My therm app lays on its back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1060:
Interior (l/w/d)
8.25" x 4.25" x 2.25"
Exterior (l/w/d)
9.37" x 5.56" x 2.62"

1120:
Interior (l/w/d)
7.25" x 4.75" x 3.06"
Exterior (l/w/d)
8.12" x 6.56" x 3.56"

yeah thats crazy...thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there any reason to keep the Fedex documents that come in the package?

Mine came with a whole packet of shipping papers. And today, weeks after receiving my ThermApp, I got some additional records from Fedex about it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i ordered my ThermApp on Monday morning at around 5am...i then ordered my Galaxy S3 off ebay at about 515am...

on my door at 10am Wednesday Oct 15 i had a not from fed ex saying i missed them...and i missed them yesterday the 16th...i didnt miss them today and lo and behold its my ThermApp...

View Quote

Hmm interesting..  I ordered mine Tuesday the 14th and mine still says processing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hmm interesting..  I ordered mine Tuesday the 14th and mine still says processing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for some reason mine came extremely quick!

is anybody having problems with the turn knob that tightens and loosens the clamp to keep the phone stable (opposite side where the grip goes)? my piece came off and im having trouble with it working now
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#23]

is anybody having problems with the turn knob that tightens and loosens the clamp to keep the phone stable (opposite side where the grip goes)? my piece came off and im having trouble with it working now
View Quote

Hello. Please send us an email to [email protected] and we'll take care of this issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any pictures of what happened?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#25]
i took pictures and will post them when i figure out how too lol

i also just sent an email to the support team...hopefully there will be an easy fix so i dont have to send it back!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]

here are the pics....i can't tighten or loosen the clamp because the knob keeps coming off...
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/apreisler22/media/IMG_2653_zpsc0267358.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/apreisler22/IMG_2653_zpsc0267358.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/apreisler22/media/IMG_2655_zps5f8f8ac5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/apreisler22/IMG_2655_zps5f8f8ac5.jpg</a>

here are the pics....i can't tighten or loosen the clamp because the knob keeps coming off...
View Quote

damn. I wonder if you could just unscrew it with pliers? It almost looks like the knob is just epoxied on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

damn. I wonder if you could just unscrew it with pliers? It almost looks like the knob is just epoxied on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/apreisler22/media/IMG_2653_zpsc0267358.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/apreisler22/IMG_2653_zpsc0267358.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/apreisler22/media/IMG_2655_zps5f8f8ac5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah159/apreisler22/IMG_2655_zps5f8f8ac5.jpg</a>

the middle silver screw moves...i just need the knob to be able to tighten and loosen that clamp because its useless otherwise
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#29]
WHere can I buy a THermApp? The site's ordering page is broken
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WHere can I buy a THermApp? The site's ordering page is broken
View Quote

Check again it looks to be working to me.

Also woohoo FedEX delivery manager shows me that mine shipped out and Thermapp's page hasn't even updated showing that yet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
per someone else's suggestion, I ended up picking up a Samsung S3 (free from a relative) and picked up an Anker 7200mha battery/case for it. The s3 ran Therm App great before I ordered the battery, so this will likely meet all my needs going forward for a dedicated viewer - thanks for the suggestion.

I tried using an old S2 Galaxy - even with the latest android version, it was no go. The micro USB on the S2 wasn't capable of supplying the needed 5 volts even though it supported USB Host mode / OTG.

One thing I wish Therm App would do - I wish you would provide a cable with a 90 degree on the end that goes into the therm app that also has a female mini usb input so we could connect a power cord and charge the phone without disconnecting the cable between the phone and Therm-App. I have a set of Diamond portable laptop speakers that do something similar with a mini USB so you can charge the speakers while using them. With a lot of plugging / unplugging, I think the female USB port is going to fail. I've had them fail on quite a few of my old cell phones after a year or two of heavy use. With the size/angles on the Therm-App, I can't imagine people are cleanly pulling straight down to remove the cable from the Therm-App, and are causing extra stress on that cable/port.

I don't see it at a design flaw, but as an opportunity to refine the product.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone else having issues where it says that you need to check your internet connection? I bought a second phone with no service to use with this and there will be times I want to use it while I'm not connected to wifi.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone else having issues where it says that you need to check your internet connection? I bought a second phone with no service to use with this and there will be times I want to use it while I'm not connected to wifi.
View Quote

nope. I turn off my wifi whenever I use mine on my S3
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
per someone else's suggestion, I ended up picking up a Samsung S3 (free from a relative) and picked up an Anker 7200mha battery/case for it. The s3 ran Therm App great before I ordered the battery, so this will likely meet all my needs going forward for a dedicated viewer - thanks for the suggestion.

I tried using an old S2 Galaxy - even with the latest android version, it was no go. The micro USB on the S2 wasn't capable of supplying the needed 5 volts even though it supported USB Host mode / OTG.

One thing I wish Therm App would do - I wish you would provide a cable with a 90 degree on the end that goes into the therm app that also has a female mini usb input so we could connect a power cord and charge the phone without disconnecting the cable between the phone and Therm-App. I have a set of Diamond portable laptop speakers that do something similar with a mini USB so you can charge the speakers while using them. With a lot of plugging / unplugging, I think the female USB port is going to fail. I've had them fail on quite a few of my old cell phones after a year or two of heavy use. With the size/angles on the Therm-App, I can't imagine people are cleanly pulling straight down to remove the cable from the Therm-App, and are causing extra stress on that cable/port.

View Quote

Got the anker battery/case. Battery life is amazing now, but the case is so damn large, therm app cant get its arms around it. I will  likely add some velcro to resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Got the anker battery/case. Battery life is amazing now, but the case is so damn large, therm app cant get its arms around it. I will  likely add some velcro to resolve the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah my mount is barely hanging on. I am wondering what my best options are for getting a solid grip on the phone.....maybe I will just duct tape it
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a dedicated Moto g without service and it's doing the same thing occasionally. It was fine for several days but it just started doing it today and I have no reason why. Another thing is that I used to be able to view any photos or video while in the Therm-app app by tapping the picture icon. It would give you the choice to view using photos or gallery and go right there. Now, it just says no photos. I have to go to the storage setting and view them from there or hook the phone to the PC and view them as files. It used to be OK until today, and it works OK on my Moto X. It's like something changed today on this Moto g or the app changed because it's not working like it did.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I bought a dedicated Moto g without service and it's doing the same thing occasionally. It was fine for several days but it just started doing it today and I have no reason why. Another thing is that I used to be able to view any photos or video while in the Therm-app app by tapping the picture icon. It would give you the choice to view using photos or gallery and go right there. Now, it just says no photos. I have to go to the storage setting and view them from there or hook the phone to the PC and view them as files. It used to be OK until today, and it works OK on my Moto X. It's like something changed today on this Moto g or the app changed because it's not working like it did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I'm not really sure how I feel about this thing having to phone home now and then to stay working (or whatever reason it needs internet). I'll probably kick an email off to them to see what the deal is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#38]
if it has to phone home during use, this might be a deal breaker (at least for me). I don't understand why this would be needed since there is already a handshake between the device and the phone. I'm not really having an issue with mine, but my phone has service. I'm waiting on a screen to replace the screen in the device I will be dedicating to Therm-App (which will NOT have service).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
if it has to phone home during use, this might be a deal breaker (at least for me). I don't understand why this would be needed since there is already a handshake between the device and the phone. I'm not really having an issue with mine, but my phone has service. I'm waiting on a screen to replace the screen in the device I will be dedicating to Therm-App (which will NOT have service).
View Quote

It's as though when you start the app it automatically checks for an update, and when it can't get a connection it gives that error. It seems to happen right after I turn on the phone and start the app. If I start the app again, it is fine. I think what is happening is that I'm starting the app before the Wi-Fi has a chance to connect to the computer as it works fine a short time later when I restart the app. The Wi-Fi probably has linked up by then. I'll have to play around with it tonight and see if that may be the issue. But yeah, the software app needs to me changed to prevent this update check or whatever it is and instead make some sort of option in the app itself to manually update.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's as though when you start the app it automatically checks for an update, and when it can't get a connection it gives that error. It seems to happen right after I turn on the phone and start the app. If I start the app again, it is fine. I think what is happening is that I'm starting the app before the Wi-Fi has a chance to connect to the computer as it works fine a short time later when I restart the app. The Wi-Fi probably has linked up by then. I'll have to play around with it tonight and see if that may be the issue. But yeah, the software app needs to me changed to prevent this update check or whatever it is and instead make some sort of option in the app itself to manually update.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Email back from the developer said this

The only time that Therm-App require an Internet connection is the first time you pair it with a smartphone, as it needs to download the calibration files.
Other than that, the device can be operated completely offline. Please ,make sure you usb cables are tightly connected, as a lose connection might cause this error.
Roy
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the internet error but I do have the file viewing issue too. I can see the thumbnails of them but that's it. They won't open.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Here it is inside a pelican 1120 for those wondering about storage.  The phone is a galaxy s3 I found on Craigslist

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Here it is inside a pelican 1120 for those wondering about storage.  The phone is a galaxy s3 I found on Craigslist for $110

http://i.imgur.com/MPQvHeC.jpg
View Quote

Would the ThermApp be able to stand upright inside that case? My original plan was to do something like you have there, but I kind of like how I have mine standing so that nothing ever touches the lens.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Would the ThermApp be able to stand upright inside that case? My original plan was to do something like you have there, but I kind of like how I have mine standing so that nothing ever touches the lens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here it is inside a pelican 1120 for those wondering about storage.  The phone is a galaxy s3 I found on Craigslist for $110

http://i.imgur.com/MPQvHeC.jpg

Pretty sure it would I might move to a larger case myself so I can throw a portable power pack in there to recharge the phone
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#45]
i ended up going with the pelican 1200 which i already had at home not being used...its not that big/bulky and can hold a good amount...i just have to get a new foam pad to customize
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Some crazy good customer service!!! Great email communication and sent me out a brand new camera that i recirved today!! Very happy
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some crazy good customer service!!! Great email communication and sent me out a brand new camera that i recirved today!! Very happy
View Quote

awesome to hear.

So they had you send in the entire device to get replaced? Is there a field expedient method to fixing it if the knob breaks off?

Oh this weekend I am going to a buddies ranch to take a few videos and pictures of longer ranges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

awesome to hear.

So they had you send in the entire device to get replaced? Is there a field expedient method to fixing it if the knob breaks off?

Oh this weekend I am going to a buddies ranch to take a few videos and pictures of longer ranges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

awesome to hear.

hey sorry about the late response...they sent me a whole new device free shipping, which i received early this week (i think monday or tuesday)...and UPS just showed up to pick up the defunct device no charge.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#49]

The 1.181" Butler Creek flip-up works well. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000PW3TMY Tightened up the loose fit with some electrical tape & it's GTG. The Vibra-Tite VC-3 suggestion was spot-on as well. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005ETYAX0

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:51:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I own a hacked E4 and am very happy with it and have been following this thread.
I'm ready to order one but I have a couple of questions:

Does a unit ordered today come with 90 degree cables?

Does a unit ordered today have the ability to be upgraded to 30hz if that ability is offered in the future with another model?

Horta, did you ever get a 35mm lens?

Thanks
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top