Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2016 12:39:19 PM EDT
So we finally got our PTR-91 A3 from Atlantic right before the election.  I'm setting up a rig so I can practice over the winter a little bit before taking a class next year with it.  Because I have time, I don't have a problem piecing together good gear.  I am a big LBT fan and like to stay with them for most of my rigs.  All my AR rigs are LBT and I don't really have any performance complaints.  

Does anyone know of Norwegian or other Euro manufactures that make dedicated G3 pouches?  I'm wondering if there is an option for G3 magazines like Platatac is a perfect option for AUG magazines.

How does this sound to users of the platform:

Start with an LBT-9003 H-Harness
Add two   of  LBT-6159 Doubles for a total of four magazines.  I figured to triple would be too wide for the 9003 and could be excessively heavy out front.  

Add the tourniquet to one of the front straps and the LBT modular light pouch to the other.  Then two magazines pouches and a holster for my Sig.  I won't ever be wearing plates with this set-up.  

So is this a ridiculous setup or do you guys think it would work?  

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds good and will work.  LBT is great gear.  

A while back there was a guy on here that sold Rhodesian FAL load bearing kit.  Not sure who but a quick search on Rhodesian should bring up something.

Adding a light and tournequet is a good idea.  I also run with a military compass as I don't like to rely on batteries for SHTF with GPS units YMMV.

Merry Christmas.

SFC out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.
I've been focused on researching contemporary users of G3s to check out their rigs and completely overlooked the Rhodesians.

I bought a LBT RRV right after American Sniper came out because....because.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
You got some Swedish G3 mag pouches that was sold a long time ago.

I believe you can find the cetme rifle mag  pouches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The Chinese 7 pouch , type 63, chest rigs work if you are on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched several videos on that setup and it seems that while FAL/AR10/N14 mags slide in/out pretty easy, the G3 mags aren't so smooth due to the many protrusions.  One guy had fabbed up some pulls for his mags from duct tape and 550 cord, to allow him to yank them from the pouch.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So we finally got our PTR-91 A3 from Atlantic right before the election.  I'm setting up a rig so I can practice over the winter a little bit before taking a class next year with it.  Because I have time, I don't have a problem piecing together good gear.  I am a big LBT fan and like to stay with them for most of my rigs.  All my AR rigs are LBT and I don't really have any performance complaints.  

Does anyone know of Norwegian or other Euro manufactures that make dedicated G3 pouches?  I'm wondering if there is an option for G3 magazines like Platatac is a perfect option for AUG magazines.

How does this sound to users of the platform:

Start with an LBT-9003 H-Harness
Add two   of  LBT-6159 Doubles for a total of four magazines.  I figured to triple would be too wide for the 9003 and could be excessively heavy out front.  

Add the tourniquet to one of the front straps and the LBT modular light pouch to the other.  Then two magazines pouches and a holster for my Sig.  I won't ever be wearing plates with this set-up.  

So is this a ridiculous setup or do you guys think it would work?  
View Quote

Weight of the mags should be offset by canteens and a butt pack.

4 mags is kind of light on ammo, you should consider getting double/double pouches for 8 mags total.  With one in the rifle that's still only 180 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I watched several videos on that setup and it seems that while FAL/AR10/N14 mags slide in/out pretty easy, the G3 mags aren't so smooth due to the many protrusions.  One guy had fabbed up some pulls for his mags from duct tape and 550 cord, to allow him to yank them from the pouch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the exact concern about all the texture on the tops of the magazines.  I will definitely be adding some pulls.  I've see Germans in the middle East just doing that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Weight of the mags should be offset by canteens and a butt pack.

4 mags is kind of light on ammo, you should consider getting double/double pouches for 8 mags total.  With one in the rifle that's still only 180 rounds.
View Quote

Being able to carry somewhat less ammo is the price one pays for carrying a 7.62 NATO rifle. It is what it is. 7-8 20 round mags IMO is the MAXIMUM the average person is going to be able to carry for a weapon of this type (while still being able to maneuver), and I think personally any more than 6 mags carried and one mag in the gun is kind of pushing it. It's not just the weight itself, it's how the weight is distributed--.308/7.62 NATO 20 rounders obviously are bulky and can be more difficult to balance properly on a rig than 5.56 30 rounders.  

If you look at many different types of web gear/kit from the various militaries that carried 7.62 NATO battle rifles back in the day, you'll notice most of them only have pouches or provisions for carrying 4 or 5 magazines (and maybe an additional mag implicitly being carried in the gun itself). There are exceptions to this and some people have been and are able to carry more mags than  that, but with all the other equipment that tends to be carried in addition, too many 20 round mags of 7.62 NATO gets heavy and clumsy really quickly.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Being able to carry somewhat less ammo is the price one pays for carrying a 7.62 NATO rifle. It is what it is. 7-8 20 round mags IMO is the MAXIMUM the average person is going to be able to carry for a weapon of this type (while still being able to maneuver), and I think personally any more than 6 mags carried and one mag in the gun is kind of pushing it. It's not just the weight itself, it's how the weight is distributed--.308/7.62 NATO 20 rounders obviously are bulky and can be more difficult to balance properly on a rig than 5.56 30 rounders.  

If you look at many different types of web gear/kit from the various militaries that carried 7.62 NATO battle rifles back in the day, you'll notice most of them only have pouches or provisions for carrying 4 or 5 magazines (and maybe an additional mag implicitly being carried in the gun itself). There are exceptions to this and some people have been and are able to carry more mags than  that, but with all the other equipment that tends to be carried in addition, too many 20 round mags of 7.62 NATO gets heavy and clumsy really quickly.
View Quote
 Gee I brought too much ammo to the fight....said no one ever.

What you see an army issue to their men isn't always what's needed once the shooting starts.  It is also predicated on a ready resupply of ammo being close at hand via the supply train.  Former Marine here and everyone I know carried more mags and/or ammo then was issued.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
For a G3 clone, it seems like the natural choice for web gear would be the 1980's-90's German flecktarn. The base is a wide belt with grommeted holes, and a shoulder harness. Magazine pouches hold 2 mags each, and attach with a unique system of plastic studs through the grommeted holes. There is also a butt pack, canteen carriers, an e-tool carrier,etc.,  that attach the same way. These items are cheap and are available through ebay and other sources. Much of this stuff is in new, unissued condition.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=ix5lyv1azk00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FWALTHER-P1-P38-GERMAN-BUNDESWEHR-WEB-BELT-size-41-48-FOR-CAMO-HOLSTER-%2F361843858677%3Fhash%3Ditem543f931cf5:g:oK4AAOSwHnFVp89y

A similar concept is the Canadian Pattern '82 equipment. I'm not sure if the Canadians copied the Germans, or vice versa. They are alike, but different enough not to be interchangeable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=ix5lyv2hne00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FCANADIAN-MILITARY-WEB-BELT-PATTERN-1982-CANADA-WEBBING-82-WE82-P-82-P82-%2F252686631645%3Fhash%3Ditem3ad54c02dd:g:6XcAAOSwyjBW56XP
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=ix5lyv364w00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FCanadian-1982-Pattern-Webbing-Set-%2F122243354000%3Fhash%3Ditem1c76458d90:g:lp8AAOSw44BYOmfu
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I second the German gear for the G3, its well made and comfortable. You can add as many G3 pouches as you want. I will say, that I actually carried a 7.62 rifle in military duty in Africa in the late 70s..standard issue was 5 magazines (100 rounds). Thats 4 on your person and one in the weapon.  That is pretty much standard for any nation that issued the FAL or G3 (we had both).  I do recall a tale in which the Royal Marines in the Falklands carried much more in preparation for an assault. Unless you plan on making an incursion into the Zambesi Valley or fighting off the Argentines...I think you will be fine with 4. The chest pouches work well as does the German gear. Otherwise, you have the British 1958 pattern webbing which was standard. It's cheap, stinks (literally) and the pouches seem to be sized for other-wordly items..
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use the old SDS 2x M4 mag pouches (CQB) with elastic. They hold one 7.62 mag of any flavor. Dump pouch for the empties.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a couple of the repro Fereday & Sons Rhodesian chest rigs off Ebay and have been happy with them.   They are light and simple, 4 mag capacity.   Shipping from India was incredibly fast, less than a week both times I ordered.
The only problem with them is the back straps are a tad short.   I have a medium sized chest and the straps are maxed out.
I found the same strap material on Ebay and eventually plan to replace them with longer pieces .
One is $35, or two for $50.   Free shipping.   I think you can get 4 for $80 which makes them cheap if you group buy with friends.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How about something like this?  

http://i.imgur.com/78CnP3k.jpg
View Quote

Damn.

I count 42 mags, but probably missed a couple.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 Gee I brought too much ammo to the fight....said no one ever.

What you see an army issue to their men isn't always what's needed once the shooting starts.  It is also predicated on a ready resupply of ammo being close at hand via the supply train.  Former Marine here and everyone I know carried more mags and/or ammo then was issued.
View Quote

If you can carry 8-12 20 round mags (or more) of 7.62 NATO  on top of a plate carrier, helmet, water, rucksack/backpack and still be able to react, maneuver, run and bound around when and where it is necessary, go ahead. It is not as easy as it sounds.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I second the German gear for the G3, its well made and comfortable. You can add as many G3 pouches as you want. I will say, that I actually carried a 7.62 rifle in military duty in Africa in the late 70s..standard issue was 5 magazines (100 rounds). Thats 4 on your person and one in the weapon.  That is pretty much standard for any nation that issued the FAL or G3 (we had both).  I do recall a tale in which the Royal Marines in the Falklands carried much more in preparation for an assault. Unless you plan on making an incursion into the Zambesi Valley or fighting off the Argentines...I think you will be fine with 4. The chest pouches work well as does the German gear. Otherwise, you have the British 1958 pattern webbing which was standard. It's cheap, stinks (literally) and the pouches seem to be sized for other-wordly items..
View Quote

Your experience mirrors what I have found to be the norm through my own research, about 100 rounds (4 mags on the person, 1 mag in the weapon). I do wonder how much ammo they must have carried in the Falklands, and the manner in which they carried it (maybe extra mags stuffed in a rucksack, or in a buttpack on the web gear or something).
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For a G3 clone, it seems like the natural choice for web gear would be the 1980's-90's German flecktarn. The base is a wide belt with grommeted holes, and a shoulder harness. Magazine pouches hold 2 mags each, and attach with a unique system of plastic studs through the grommeted holes. There is also a butt pack, canteen carriers, an e-tool carrier,etc.,  that attach the same way. These items are cheap and are available through ebay and other sources. Much of this stuff is in new, unissued condition.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&&campId=5337559805&customId=ix70iey0ki00zk8a00e15;campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=ix5lyv1azk00zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FWALTHER-P1-P38-GERMAN-BUNDESWEHR-WEB-BELT-size-41-48-FOR-CAMO-HOLSTER-%2F361843858677%3Fhash%3Ditem543f931cf5:g:oK4AAOSwHnFVp89y
View Quote

I always overlooked the surplus flecktarn thinking it wouldn't wear well.  I might just need a P1 to balance everything out....
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you can carry 8-12 20 round mags (or more) of 7.62 NATO  on top of a plate carrier, helmet, water, rucksack/backpack and still be able to react, maneuver, run and bound around when and where it is necessary, go ahead. It is not as easy as it sounds.
View Quote

Which part of "Former Marine" didn't you understand?  I have carried a lot more then that.

Though since no one here is asking about equipping themselves for military service, the helmet, plate carrier, and much of what's in the pack will be gone in MOST SHTF type situations.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Which part of "Former Marine" didn't you understand?  I have carried a lot more then that.

Though since no one here is asking about equipping themselves for military service, the helmet, plate carrier, and much of what's in the pack will be gone in MOST SHTF type situations.
View Quote

Relax fella.

If you leave out the helmet, plate carrier, rucksack, etc. well, yes, obviously one could carry more ammo as the result. Clarification is helpful.  

Although, if one is not "equipping themselves for military service", then why is 5-8 mags (which in this case is 100-160 rounds) carried on one's person not enough? What exactly is the situation?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Regarding the total weight of the ammo load, the G3 has an advantage over the FAL or M14 because the generally-issued G3 magazines are aluminum instead of steel.  (There are steel G3 magazines, but they are much rarer than the aluminum ones.) On the other hand, G3 magazines have flanges that prevent them from lying flat against each other in a pouch. The German flecktarn pouches have dividers that take care of this problem. (So do Canadian Pattern 82 pouches, although they were designed for FAL mags. Canadian P82 gear is olive drab instead of camo.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Carry multiple tourniquets. I like 4.

An assault pack is the place for extra ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#24]
It's odd to me that 7.62 was predominant in the bush wars given the typically short engagement ranges. One vet of Angola told me that he never had a shot more than 150m away and that most of the conscripts blazed away on auto. He did state that he took his time and shot carefully and everyone he shot stayed shot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Relax fella.

If you leave out the helmet, plate carrier, rucksack, etc. well, yes, obviously one could carry more ammo as the result. Clarification is helpful.  

Although, if one is not "equipping themselves for military service", then why is 5-8 mags (which in this case is 100-160 rounds) carried on one's person not enough? What exactly is the situation?
View Quote

You were the one who brought up what the military issues as far as mags/pouches along with helmet, flak, etc into the conversation not me and I seriously doubt the OP (or anyone else here) is asking for advice on how to set up their rig to comply with their military service.  Nor do I believe any operators(?) are in here asking for advice before heading off to a hot spot.  I simply pointed out that from my experience what the military issues is seldom what the soldier ends up carrying in the field once things get real.

You also missed the point I made that I carried more weight then that while I was in the Marines EVEN with the armor/helmet/pack.  Everyone I knew carried more then our allocated amount of mags/ammo if we were going beyond ready resupply.  I also know guys who served in Vietnam who tell of carrying up to 13 extra mags for the M16 on top of the ones in their pouches and many guys also had extra bandoliers of ammo slung or in pack if going into an area where contact was likely.

The "situation" is anything that necessitates a civilian arming up and heading into harms way.  As they are unable to simply call for a resupply from the rear echelon.  Now if the "situation" being planned for is to simply go play tacti-cool games at the range then quantity of ammo is obviously of little concern.  on edit: I did miss the part about the OP mentioning taking a class, though the reasoning behind the class is for something beyond craps-and-giggles I would venture.

If a person has trouble carrying around 8 mags of .308 then perhaps said person should SERIOUSLY consider another rifle/caliber choice.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's odd to me that 7.62 was predominant in the bush wars given the typically short engagement ranges. One vet of Angola told me that he never had a shot more than 150m away and that most of the conscripts blazed away on auto. He did state that he took his time and shot carefully and everyone he shot stayed shot.
View Quote

The ranges were not generally that short.. The country is more open/brushy than you think. The 7.62x51 was valued for its ability to penetrate cover. Also, remember this was the late 70s, other than the US, only the French had adopted the 5.56 newly in their FAMAS. The Brits/Germans and most of the Western world still used the FAL or G3.  Also sources of mil equipment were limited..mostly had to rely on what stocks were on hand and what was passed to the forces by South Africa.

Eric, there were a considerable number of G3s in service. I suspect it looks like the FAL was the dominant weapon because most of the photos you see are of the RLI and they were equipped with the FAL. The G3 was issued more to "coloured" troops (the bulk of the army...) and in the Rhodesia Regiment and RAR.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I mean I was asking this guy about engagement distances while we ate at his house in Namibia after a day of hunting...
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You were the one who brought up what the military issues as far as mags/pouches along with helmet, flak, etc into the conversation not me and I seriously doubt the OP (or anyone else here) is asking for advice on how to set up their rig to comply with their military service.  Nor do I believe any operators(?) are in here asking for advice before heading off to a hot spot.  I simply pointed out that from my experience what the military issues is seldom what the soldier ends up carrying in the field once things get real.

You also missed the point I made that I carried more weight then that while I was in the Marines EVEN with the armor/helmet/pack.  Everyone I knew carried more then our allocated amount of mags/ammo if we were going beyond ready resupply.  I also know guys who served in Vietnam who tell of carrying up to 13 extra mags for the M16 on top of the ones in their pouches and many guys also had extra bandoliers of ammo slung or in pack if going into an area where contact was likely.

The "situation" is anything that necessitates a civilian arming up and heading into harms way.  As they are unable to simply call for a resupply from the rear echelon.  Now if the "situation" being planned for is to simply go play tacti-cool games at the range then quantity of ammo is obviously of little concern.  on edit: I did miss the part about the OP mentioning taking a class, though the reasoning behind the class is for something beyond craps-and-giggles I would venture.

If a person has trouble carrying around 8 mags of .308 then perhaps said person should SERIOUSLY consider another rifle/caliber choice.
View Quote

You said in an earlier post in this thread:

"Weight of the mags should be offset by canteens and a butt pack.

4 mags is kind of light on ammo, you should consider getting double/double pouches for 8 mags total. With one in the rifle that's still only 180 rounds. "

You then said in the post quoted just above, "If a person has trouble carrying around 8 mags of .308 then perhaps said person should SERIOUSLY consider another rifle/caliber choice."

So if the OP can't carry (or doesn't want to carry) at least 8 mags of .308 you're saying he shouldn't go to the class?  

Here's a different approach here--do you know of any particular setups, pre-configured or a custom rig, that you've used personally that will allow you to carry 8-G3 20 round mags total? Or even one for a similar weapon like an M14 or SCAR 17? Maybe you could point us in the right direction towards some particular gear that has worked for you with .308 mags.

I haven't tried this one, but just ran across it today http://lbtinc.com/vest-h-gear-carriers/h-harness-gear/7-62-load-bearing-chest-rig-w-zipper-c.html

I *think* those are 2-cell .308 mag pouches, which would give 8 mags total.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And your point is.....?

4 mags is kind of light on ammo, you should consider getting double/double pouches for 8 mags total. With one in the rifle that's still only 180 rounds. "

Which is STILL 80 MORE then with only 4 mags.  This almost doubles your ammo supply.  So again what's your point?

You then said in the post quoted just above, "If a person has trouble carrying around 8 mags of .308 then perhaps said person should SERIOUSLY consider another rifle/caliber choice."

So if the OP can't carry (or doesn't want to carry) at least 8 mags of .308 you're saying he shouldn't go to the class?  

Nice cherry picking of my comments.  Did your reading comprehension fail when you got to where I wrote this one...."Now if the "situation" being planned for is to simply go play tacti-cool games at the range then quantity of ammo is obviously of little concern."?

Here's a different approach here--do you know of any particular setups, pre-configured or a custom rig, that you've used personally that will allow you to carry 8-G3 20 round mags total? Or even one for a similar weapon like an M14 or SCAR 17? Maybe you could point us in the right direction towards some particular gear that has worked for you with .308 mags.

I'm not going to dig my stuff out for pictures but I have several setups that work with .308.  All involve the use of two double/double 7.62 mag pouches (the ones that were issued with the Knight's Armament M110 rifle).  One is an old school ALICE setup with h-harness, web belt, mag pouches, buttpack, canteens, etc.  Another is on a newer mil-surp, mesh/molle LBV with the mag pouches, 1911 SERPA holster mounted above them with a camelbac and misc pouch on rear (this is the most comfortable setup).  The third is a plate carrier with the mag pouches, a 1911 SERPA holster mounted above them and again with camelbac and misc pouch on rear.  

I do have a multi-caliber setup that mimics the mesh LBV I already mentioned but uses double/double M16 pouches instead of the 7.62, which allows me to use it with (8) M16, (4) AK or (4) 7.62 mags depending on the circumstances.

I haven't tried this one, but just ran across it today http://lbtinc.com/vest-h-gear-carriers/h-harness-gear/7-62-load-bearing-chest-rig-w-zipper-c.html

I *think* those are 2-cell .308 mag pouches, which would give 8 mags total.

They refer to the pouches as "M14-2" and with the elastic webbing around the pouch and large flap it does appear they are double mag pouches.  It looks like a decent, albeit pricey, setup that still needs to have other pouches added to it.  

I don't have that much money into ALL the setups I just laid out.  Though for full disclosure, since I live next to a Marine Base I was able to pick up everything I mentioned (to include the carrier with plates) for less then pennies on the dollar from Marines EASing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Taco are an option, and I think esstac 7.62 are supposed to work well with g3 mags, theres alot of dedicated 7.62 chest rigs out there..

These esstac chest rigs let you change the inner pannels for 5.56 or 7.62 http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Chest-Rig-Bush-Boar-A1-p/ess.502.htm , no experience with them btw.

PIG UCR http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-UCR-Universal-Chest-Rig-p/pig.667.htm

Some cheap mag pouch options out there like these TT http://www.skdtac.com/Tactical-Tailor-Fight-Light-7-62-Single-Mag-Pouch-p/1tt.202.htm

And ATS http://www.skdtac.com/ATS-Triple-762-Shingle-p/ats.115.htm

Also surplus german gear is always around http://www.hessenantique.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=S91353150 and their g3 ammo pouchs for their alice style system are common

Also for the supper budget kiss rig http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/clearance-gear/go-time-triple-7-62-mag-chest-rig-black.html

-Hope it helps
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ranges were not generally that short.. The country is more open/brushy than you think. The 7.62x51 was valued for its ability to penetrate cover. Also, remember this was the late 70s, other than the US, only the French had adopted the 5.56 newly in their FAMAS. The Brits/Germans and most of the Western world still used the FAL or G3.  Also sources of mil equipment were limited..mostly had to rely on what stocks were on hand and what was passed to the forces by South Africa.

Eric, there were a considerable number of G3s in service. I suspect it looks like the FAL was the dominant weapon because most of the photos you see are of the RLI and they were equipped with the FAL. The G3 was issued more to "coloured" troops (the bulk of the army...) and in the Rhodesia Regiment and RAR.
View Quote

A considerable number, but G3's were nowhere near as common as FN's. INTAF and Guard Force received most of them, with BSAP (particularly Support Group), RAR, and RR receiving the rest. I have a couple of pictures of the Selous Scouts using them during training.

The Comandos Especiais in eastern Angola and in Moçambique would be fine engaging targets at longer ranges, but they received far more training than any caçadores unit. As to why 7.62 NATO dominated the various bush wars: it's what they had.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I should have clarified that I'm not running plates nor am I hauling around more than four magazines.  The class is to force me to break bad habits and get better with the G3 platform.   I'm comfortable with 100 rounds of M80 plus my Sig (toolbox gun; I'm a machinist and I DO NOT LEND TOOLS!.)  Anything more than that is going to be too much when I try to ride the quad or run equipment.  I'm comfortable with that on my property as the worst I've encountered is tweakers and local-I-went-to-school-with-you-dumbass thieves.  This rig will likely collect dust in the shop.  If I can't get back to the house with 100 rounds, I'll just yell Wolverines while I empty the Sig.  The class is to get me familiar with the G3 platform.  Between the wife's AUG and running ARs my muscle memory needs to be improved.  My magazine changes are laughably slow.  Would 8 magazines be more appropriate if I was in combat?  Absolutely, but, Illinois isn't there just yet.

Alexander:  Thanks for those links.  I'll have to pick up a G3 rig just to have it.  For $60 you can get outfitted and shipped....why not?  Thanks bro.

Polish:  Thanks for showing me the tactical tailor pieces.  I'm thinking about going there for the mag pouches.  

CombatJack:  Thanks for the input; I always carry two.  I'm going to be hesitant to give my one-and-only tourniquet away.  People don't realize that they also BREAK.  Especially if you're jacked up on adrenaline.  Hell, we broke one in a BSA / Red Cross First Aid Class.  (No, it wasn't on a living person)  You made me reconsider a slim, lowprofile combat pack as a place to drop extra mags/snickers/beers

After seeing a like new LBT-9003A go for less than $50 on fleabay has me going in that direction.  I'm an unabashed LBT fanboi.....when I can afford it.  I might just have to cave an get an Eagle instead.  

Attachment Attached File

Now onto the pouches themselves....I'll keep this updated as I can score gear.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked up an LBT 6040A RRV as a base. I've found quick draw LBT 7.62 pouches for about $10 new on EBay. I'm hoping $150 delivered for all LBT.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I picked up an LBT 6040A RRV as a base. I've found quick draw LBT 7.62 pouches for about $10 new on EBay. I'm hoping $150 delivered for all LBT.
View Quote

Did you mean an LBT-9040A by chance?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The Type 63 Chinese chest rig works ok. You can fit 7 mags in them if you use all the pouches.

at Amazon

They are the usual green canvas type pouches. And they are only $20.

ETA I also told you this a month ago lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Another option if 8 mags is too much would be to use a double mag pouch on each end with two single pouches between them for a total of 6 mags.  The single pouches keep the bulk down for prone shooting and the doubles allow access to more rounds without having to try to reach underneath yourself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you mean an LBT-9040A by chance?
View Quote

You are absolutely correct, Steve.  I've also been looking at the LBT 6094C and apparently can't keep them straight!  

I'll be adding four magazines to the vest.  No more, no less.  The question is do I want singles or doubles?

This is where I'm at now: (Stock photo)

LBT 9040A RRV

Attachment Attached File

and a LBT 9037A for my light

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Consider this:  I use the Specops brand double 762 pouches and only put one mag in for ease of removal. If you wanted more mags you can still easily add more mags to the same rig.

Link to pouch.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/pouches-and-organizer/ammo-pouches/7-62-magazine-utility-pouch.html

I am using these on my belt for secure carry of spare mags. Given the G3 mags are bulkier then my scarH mags, this should be a good fit for you.

For a chest rig I've been running the Haley chest rig in 308. It only holds 4 rifle mags and isn't as big as the rig you linked and posted. Works fine for me and the mags are secure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Consider this:  I use the Specops brand double 762 pouches and only put one mag in for ease of removal. If you wanted more mags you can still easily add more mags to the same rig.

Link to pouch.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/pouches-and-organizer/ammo-pouches/7-62-magazine-utility-pouch.html

I am using these on my belt for secure carry of spare mags. Given the G3 mags are bulkier then my scarH mags, this should be a good fit for you.

For a chest rig I've been running the Haley chest rig in 308. It only holds 4 rifle mags and isn't as big as the rig you linked and posted. Works fine for me and the mags are secure.
View Quote
If running a single mag in a double mag pouch I would suggest the ones with elastic material or some other means of tightening up the fit to prevent losing them accidentally.

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Crap.  

That Haley rig is exactly what I'm going for......

Decision making time.

Worst case scenario I have extra LBT.  Oh no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

The Specops brand double pouch has a top flap.  It wont be coming loose anytime soon.

Your point does ring true for open top style mag carriers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Crap.  

That Haley rig is exactly what I'm going for......

Decision making time.

Worst case scenario I have extra LBT.  Oh no.
View Quote

It works well and isn't too big.

The plastic inserts aren't bad, but I didn't keep em in.  I found with the plastic inserts inside the mag pouches I had to keep the rig tied down tighter or the mags wouldn't slip out as smoothly as I liked em to.  This isn't noticeable until you start actually running with your gear and breathing heavy. Then the "tightness" around the midsection restricts my breathing.
The bungee retention works fine for my purposes.  Little bonus, you can store a 5th mag in the big admin pouch on the right side.

I did find the plastic inserts work well when running AR15 mags in the same rig. Just something to consider if you intend to double duty the same kit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Regarding the total weight of the ammo load, the G3 has an advantage over the FAL or M14 because the generally-issued G3 magazines are aluminum instead of steel.  (There are steel G3 magazines, but they are much rarer than the aluminum ones.) On the other hand, G3 magazines have flanges that prevent them from lying flat against each other in a pouch. The German flecktarn pouches have dividers that take care of this problem. (So do Canadian Pattern 82 pouches, although they were designed for FAL mags. Canadian P82 gear is olive drab instead of camo.)
View Quote

I bought a bunch of the Canadian P82 pouches for my 7.62 battle rifles because they have an inner liner that separates the magazines so they don't clank and grind against each other, the mag pouch has lift up pulls built in for each mag so you can get them up and out much quicker.  Also the rear mount attachment made it easy to Mod them to fit PALS - MOLLE with simple use of a hot knife to cut the plastic

I still have about a dozen extra around in one of my spares boxes...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Specops brand double pouch has a top flap.  It wont be coming loose anytime soon.

Your point does ring true for open top style mag carriers.
View Quote

Even with a flapped pouch it can help, since when many people start running and gunning they many times open the flap and tuck it behind the pouches for quicker access.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Even with a flapped pouch it can help, since when many people start running and gunning they many times open the flap and tuck it behind the pouches for quicker access.
View Quote

I have seen people do what you describe.  I have also seen these same people have a tactical yardsale with their unsecured gear.  Personally I don't tuck the top flaps for this exact reason.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have seen people do what you describe.  I have also seen these same people have a tactical yardsale with their unsecured gear.  Personally I don't tuck the top flaps for this exact reason.
View Quote
I would also not recommend you do so given that your pouches have no self-retention mechanism in them and are simply a floppy pouch.  A pouch made for two mags that you said you only put one in.  Without some way of retaining a mag such as the ones I posted have it would indeed be foolish to open the flap at anytime other then a mag change.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#47]
So I am a cheapskate and got four new LBT 6159A pouches for $34 shipped.  They are the "modular" pouches that hold western magazines as well as AK.

I took a gamble because their design is a compromise to accommodate so many magazines.  The G3 mag actually fits nicely once you get it in there.  

Attachment Attached File

This is where the wildcard factory comes in with G3 magazines in pouches they weren't designed for: the stamped aluminum or steel feed lip and locking ledge that is spot welded to the body.  It grabs pretty well.  I tried to illustrate this in one of the below pictures where the magazine was retained by the pouch.  The magazine was not full for any pictures.

Attachment Attached File

I'll let them stretch out with with some wood blocks and see where they're at. Not going on the rig though.  I prefer the retention of the full flap with pull and I'm used to using them.  Keeps me from losing magazines on the quad.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice pouch that can give you some caliber options.  The mag won't hang up so bad when actually in use as you will be jerking it free under stress.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry for the long wait.  Lost the good pictures when the card went corrupt.  

Good news:  The G3 magazines do fit and can be removed with relative ease.  The modularity of the pouches is impressive.  LBT never ceases to impress.  I'm going to leave this vest as-is as a "catch-all" for anything I or someone else might need as a loner.

Bad news:  Those damn G3 magazines tear the shit out of the nylon.  The stamped feed lip assembly has too many sharp edges for these pouches.  SR15 or M14 magazines are no problem as they are relatively smooth save for the mag catch cutout or lug. This also means that re-inserting the magazines while donned is a two handed, awkward affair.  Chalk it up to compromise for modularity.

After working the PTR with the vest it is clear I will never be carrying 8 loaded G3 magazines on my person unless I have an assault pack.  I'm OK with 100 round of M80. My thought is that I will likely be killed before I can go through 8 magazine changes on a G3. Or the coyotes, starlings, crows, rabbits, coons, garters and feral....formed an un-holy union and I have a united front of organized vermin seeking justice. Three of the X-50 drums would be in order in that case

Being Old-Poor, I'm ok with where I'm at.  I might even feel rich and pop an AimPoint Pro on top with FACTORY mount!

Staffy protection:

I just won't look as cool as this dude:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Brother,
Before you decide be sure to go to UW GEAR website and have a look. They custom make each order and I fucking love my bandoleer. They will fit it to the G3 mags size and the quality is fantastic.
Good luck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top