Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Finally got to shoot this in the short barreled configuration.  I was shooting American Eagle ammo and I only shot 20 rounds.  I didn't have a lot of time so I didn't do any bench resting to test the accuracy but free holding it my groups were about three inches from about 30 feet out using the factory FNH green dot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
For the guys that have SBR'd a PS90

On the ATF form 1, what did you put in 4a. <Name and Location of Original Manufacturer of Firearm (Receiver)?>

The PS90 stock has both belgium and under in smaller font FNH USE FREDERICKSBERG  VA

I found this as an address also:
FN Manufacturing, LLC
797 Old Clemson Rd
Columbia, SC 29224

FNH USA has a contact address of:

FNH USA Commercial, Law Enforcement, and Military Sales
PO Box 9424
McLean, VA 22102

Trying to get this form ready for the mail in mourning so any help from guys with PS90 stamps would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The box it came in says Made in Belgium so I guess that is what i'll use?

Maybe i'm over thinking this
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On the ATF form 1, what did you put in 4a. <Name and Location of Original Manufacturer of Firearm (Receiver)?>

The PS90 stock has both belgium and under in smaller font FNH USE FREDERICKSBERG  VA
View Quote

On my form 1 I used "FABRIQUE NATIONALE, HERSTAL BELGIUM". ymmv
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
TROS FTW!!!!

2 weeks door to door. More than a week earlier then Mark said.

" />
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I should have my stamp soon can't wait. Need to figure out my barrel situation
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I should have my stamp soon can't wait. Need to figure out my barrel situation
View Quote

Simple, do what the sparky923 did, send your factory PS90 barrel to Mark at TROS
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
tag for later
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Whoah, wait... how long did Mark have your barrel?  Mine has been there for going on three months!

ETA, I'm a jerk.  Apparently my barrel came in late last week and I didnt know it.  Work looks good, cant wait to get to the range!

Quoted:
TROS FTW!!!!

2 weeks door to door. More than a week earlier then Mark said.

http://<a href=http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/sparky923/IMG_2720_zpsba2eef73.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
How are you getting in touch with someone at Tros USA?  I cannot get any response from them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How are you getting in touch with someone at Tros USA?  I cannot get any response from them.
View Quote

Mark McWillis - TROS

[email protected]

Also, link to profile on FN Forum

Mark McWillis - FN Forum
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mark McWillis - TROS

[email protected]

Mark McWillis - FN Forum
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark McWillis - TROS

[email protected]

Mark McWillis - FN Forum

I spoke to him a couple times on the phone, exchanged a couple emails. Never a problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
got my stamp now need to get my barrel cut!
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mark McWillis - TROS

[email protected]

Mark McWillis - FN Forum
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark McWillis - TROS

[email protected]

Mark McWillis - FN Forum

+1 for Mark, he SBRed my PS90 many years ago.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad I found this section. TRO is a local company
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
digging up old thread for help with some questions..

I'm about to embark on pulling my PS90 barrel out and sending it to TROS now that my form 1 is approved. I'm pretty clear on the shroud cutting and then just pulling the barrel out of the receiver with a dowel following to capture all the springs.

I get once I receive my barrel back from TROS, I feed the barrel back into the receiver, but I'm not seeing the obvious answer to what if anything you do at that point? Does it just slide back in and you reassemble and that's all that secured the barrel in place?

I also plan to put a saker mount on the barrel, which I assume I'd need to secure to the barrel with proper torque before I reassemble? will the barrel still feed through the springs/receiver with the suppressor mount installed?

Any helpful wisdom appreciated. :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
digging up old thread for help with some questions..

I'm about to embark on pulling my PS90 barrel out and sending it to TROS now that my form 1 is approved. I'm pretty clear on the shroud cutting and then just pulling the barrel out of the receiver with a dowel following to capture all the springs.

I get once I receive my barrel back from TROS, I feed the barrel back into the receiver, but I'm not seeing the obvious answer to what if anything you do at that point? Does it just slide back in and you reassemble and that's all that secured the barrel in place? You need the TROS adapter on the barrel end.

I also plan to put a saker mount on the barrel, which I assume I'd need to secure to the barrel with proper torque before I reassemble? will the barrel still feed through the springs/receiver with the suppressor mount installed? No. You'll need to torque the adapter onto the barrel, then the mount onto the adapter.

Any helpful wisdom appreciated. :)
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
gotcha, so slide barrel back through receiver, torque the TROS adapter onto the barrel to secure barrel in place, then torque suppressor mount onto adapter.

actually... do I need to torque the suppressor mount onto the TROS adapter separately before I torque the TROS adapter onto the barrel? Just thinking with the LH threads of the barrel that the TROS adapter screws onto, and the RH threads of the adapter itself that the saker mount would attach to I'd effectively be loosing the TROS adapter from the barrel while trying to tighten the saker mount on.

True statement?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Put barrel through receiver.
Make sure spring is inserted so you have reciprocating barrel reciprocates.
Start screwing on supressor adaptor and make sure it gets under the ledge at front
Torque down barrel with 35 lbs.  Depending on how you do this, that ledge can act as a point which the weight of the torque goes against.  Others have used another wrench mounted on a vise or pipe.  Using the ledge way will mar the finish on the receiver but will be hidden behind the supressor adaptor.
Barrel should move and have a gap in between from supressor adpator and receiver.

http://fnforum.net/forums/sbr-suppressors-nfa-items/15017-ps90-barrel-swap-how-w-pics.html
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone use a hand drill to remove the PS90 barrel/shroud blind pin?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Anyone use a hand drill to remove the PS90 barrel/shroud blind pin?
View Quote
I started out that way, but it didn't work out... got all the way through, but I guess I missed the pin or went too shallow... I ended up just taking a chopsaw to it half way between the pin and receiver... since I have no need for the shroud after the conversion, I'm not worried about it... sending it off to TROS shortly...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I ended up finding a factory P90 barrel. Just had gunsmith remove old barrel by drilling out pin. Did a nice job, now i used my aac 51t rachet mount brakeout so i can use my AAC SDN-6 suppressor til my spectre 2 get out of atf jail. using the 1/2x28 adapter from tros for the end. so i dont need my ps90 flash hider or old barrel. all up on ee boards now. here is final product, will find out accuracy this weekend. not sure if i should go with the reflex sight or the Aimpoint Comp M2 i had on it with long barrel. any opinions on sights. thanks

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#25]
The Aimpoint on a TROS mount looks like it grew there...

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I've browsed through several threads on here, but have an unanswered question. I just won a PS90 on GB tonight, so I don't have it in my possession. Maybe it would make more sense if I had it in my hands. I've already filled out a Draft EForms F1 for everything except serial number.

I understand process of cutting off the flash hider, removing the shroud, etc. I know TROS is the most recommended source for the barrel work.

However, here's my question. It may be blasphemy, but what if I don't care a bit about the M12x1 LH threads? Is there something in the design of the rifle that would prevent me from simply having the barrel cut down and threaded 1/2-28? I just don't recall seeing anybody mention it? I'm not trying to replicate the P90 with the thread pitch or the FH. Simply want 1/2-28 threads to put a Sparrow or a Spectre II on.

Does the TROS adapter serve any function other than changing the thread pitch? I'm assuming the adapter isn't perm attached, so it's not part of the 10.4" measurement. If I went straight 1/2-28 threads, is there enough clearance, or does the barrel need to be a little longer, like 11"?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've browsed through several threads on here, but have an unanswered question. I just won a PS90 on GB tonight, so I don't have it in my possession. Maybe it would make more sense if I had it in my hands. I've already filled out a Draft EForms F1 for everything except serial number.

I understand process of cutting off the flash hider, removing the shroud, etc. I know TROS is the most recommended source for the barrel work.

However, here's my question. It may be blasphemy, but what if I don't care a bit about the M12x1 LH threads? Is there something in the design of the rifle that would prevent me from simply having the barrel cut down and threaded 1/2-28? I just don't recall seeing anybody mention it? I'm not trying to replicate the P90 with the thread pitch or the FH. Simply want 1/2-28 threads to put a Sparrow or a Spectre II on.

Does the TROS adapter serve any function other than changing the thread pitch? I'm assuming the adapter isn't perm attached, so it's not part of the 10.4" measurement. If I went straight 1/2-28 threads, is there enough clearance, or does the barrel need to be a little longer, like 11"?

Thanks in advance.
Greg
View Quote

The 12x1 threads allow the pencil barrel to install into either a factory flash hider or a 1/2x28 mount. Once you get your rifle it will become clearer but the actual barrel is a very thin thing that rides inside the receiver and is held in place by the flash hider / threaded adapter and spring pressure. Any item you want to install on the SBR (ie a suppressor) technically installs onto a threaded adapter that itself is threaded onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 12x1 threads allow the pencil barrel to install into either a factory flash hider or a 1/2x28 mount. Once you get your rifle it will become clearer but the actual barrel is a very thin thing that rides inside the receiver and is held in place by the flash hider / threaded adapter and spring pressure. Any item you want to install on the SBR (ie a suppressor) technically installs onto a threaded adapter that itself is threaded onto the barrel.
View Quote

So in other words, my plan just doesn't work? You can't cut the factory barrel to ~11" and thread it to 1/2-28 and be done with it?

Thanks for the answer. I'm sure it would've been more clear if I had it in my hand.

I asked ADCO in their forum and they said they won't mess with them. That's enough of an answer for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Adco just doesn't do metric left hand threading from what I remember, the ps90 barrel isn't any extra trouble, but if someone won't do that type of thread pitch, they just won't.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So in other words, my plan just doesn't work? You can't cut the factory barrel to ~11" and thread it to 1/2-28 and be done with it?

Thanks for the answer. I'm sure it would've been more clear if I had it in my hand.

I asked ADCO in their forum and they said they won't mess with them. That's enough of an answer for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, your plan doesn't work. The barrel is skinnier than the hole in the receiver. If you just cut the barrel and thread to 1/2x28 there would be nothing holding the barrel in the receiver. The flash hider or 1/2x28 adapter is needed to thread onto the muzzle of the barrel and hold the barrel in the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Correct, your plan doesn't work. The barrel is skinnier than the hole in the receiver. If you just cut the barrel and thread to 1/2x28 there would be nothing holding the barrel in the receiver. The flash hider or 1/2x28 adapter is needed to thread onto the muzzle of the barrel and hold the barrel in the receiver.
View Quote

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the shroud is doing that job on the 16" version?

Looking forward to getting it in my hands and getting the ball rolling. Just wish TROS would take the barrel without the approved F1, since his turnaround time seems to be a lot longer than ADCO's, and ADCO does as businesses should do and leaves it up to the end-user to be legal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the shroud is doing that job on the 16" version?

Looking forward to getting it in my hands and getting the ball rolling. Just wish TROS would take the barrel without the approved F1, since his turnaround time seems to be a lot longer than ADCO's, and ADCO does as businesses should do and leaves it up to the end-user to be legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality is never quick, and because Mark doesn't want to shorten a barrel without the correct paperwork....well that's his choice.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. The shroud does that on the factory 16" set up.

I could be wrong but I thought the long wait with TROS was waiting on the adapter or flash hider. If you purchase a 1/2x28 adapter or flash hider elsewhere (I think CMMG has them now) and just send the barrel in for threading only, turn around time may be quicker. I think I remember reading that somewhere. I'm not sure how true that is.

ETA: I expect my stamp in for my SBR any day now so I guess I'll see how that works out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]
As info...talked to Mark yesterday and today. He has adapters in the black oxide process right now, so turnaround shouldn't be too long. He'll take the barrel without the F1 and either send it back to me if I want, or hang onto it until F1 approved if I prefer.  He said he has that wording on his site to weed out the idiots. (can't blame him for that).

One other thing for those that have done it. I'm going with the "chop it off" method, no reason for me to try and drill out the pin and save the shroud.  If I go that route, do I still need the slimmed down wrench? Just trying to be prepared before I'm halfway I to the job. Going to grab a 3/8" dowel today.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As info...talked to Mark yesterday and today. He has adapters in the black oxide process right now, so turnaround shouldn't be too long. He'll take the barrel without the F1 and either send it back to me if I want, or hang onto it until F1 approved if I prefer.  He said he has that wording on his site to weed out the idiots. (can't blame him for that).

One other thing for those that have done it. I'm going with the "chop it off" method, no reason for me to try and drill out the pin and save the shroud.  If I go that route, do I still need the slimmed down wrench? Just trying to be prepared before I'm halfway I to the job. Going to grab a 3/8" dowel today.
View Quote

If your just cutting off the shroud for removal you wont need a wrench, but you will need it for installation. I found a standard 15mm craftsman wrench in my box that fit it fine...

I recently SBR'd my PS90 and had the barrel done by Mark turn around time was right at 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#36]
For anybody that has filed an F1 in EForms to do this conversion...which manufacturer (and location) did you choose?

Based on the pics, I see both of these on the firearm:
- Fabrique Nationale Herstal, Belgium
- FNH USA, Fredericksburg, VA

To me, the Belgium info is the manufacturer and the VA is the importer. But, the full spelling of FNH is not in the dropdown.

There is an FN (Herstal) and a FN Manufacturing. If I choose FN (Herstal), I have both Belgium and US (along with 7 other countries).

Curious what you used that was approved. I have FN (Herstal) and Belgium saved as my draft.

Thanks.

ETA: I asked dealer for SN so I could go ahead and file. He gave me FN0935##. Is that the proper format? No dash engraved on the firearm? Nevermind...found some images online that confirmed no dash.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For anybody that has filed an F1 in EForms to do this conversion...which manufacturer (and location) did you choose?

Based on the pics, I see both of these on the firearm:
- Fabrique Nationale Herstal, Belgium
- FNH USA, Fredericksburg, VA

To me, the Belgium info is the manufacturer and the VA is the importer. But, the full spelling of FNH is not in the dropdown.

There is an FN (Herstal) and a FN Manufacturing. If I choose FN (Herstal), I have both Belgium and US (along with 7 other countries).

Curious what you used that was approved. I have FN (Herstal) and Belgium saved as my draft.

Thanks.

ETA: I asked dealer for SN so I could go ahead and file. He gave me FN0935##. Is that the proper format? No dash engraved on the firearm? Nevermind...found some images online that confirmed no dash.
View Quote

I used, FN (HERSTAL), BELGIUM.

Yep, no dash.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I used, FN (HERSTAL), BELGIUM.

Yep, no dash.
View Quote

Thanks. Just submitted it. First EForms application since it came back up. Glad there was a how-to sticky I could use to remember how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#39]
As to your earlier wrench question, if you don't have a wrench on had that fits try a 15mm bicycle cone wrench (super thin wrenches used for working on ten speed gear cones). You can usually get them really cheap online and they are more than thin enough to work for the re-install.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As to your earlier wrench question, if you don't have a wrench on had that fits try a 15mm bicycle cone wrench (super thin wrenches used for working on ten speed gear cones). You can usually get them really cheap online and they are more than thin enough to work for the re-install.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. Just found one for $2.29 + $.99 shipping that should do the job. Advertised as 2mm thick. Cheaper than cranking my truck to go get one anywhere.

ETA: although, maybe I should've read the eBay description a little closer. My email confirmation shows Economy Shipping from outside the US, estimated Delivery: Wed Oct 29-Thu Dec 4. (figure I have at least 5 weeks before the F1 is approved, and maybe at least that long before I have the barrel back...who knows?)
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
That would have been easier than grinding down the wrench I got at HD ... hopefully it's enough when I get my barrel back from Mark....
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm sure its the wrong place for this but if you need ammo for your ps90 gander mountain has ss197sr for $71.97 shipped for 200rds. Its only in 4 box increments. I tried to add more but the discount wouldn't show. Just go there, search fnh, add four boxes to your cart. It will show $71.97 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#43]
I sent my barrel to ADCO along with the specs I got from Gemtech.   They had no problems at all threading it.   It came out very well, and I am glad I went with them.  They had the barrel back to me in 6 days.  

It seems like they go through periods where they dont want to screw with it.   Having worked with fickle machinists for my entire career, I can relate.  

Just keep emailing them, eventually they will crack and thread that barrel for you.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#44]
The GM four box deal isnt working for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
The ONLY gunsmith I'd trust is Mark McWillis of TROS, he has cut and threaded OVER 500 PS90 barrels.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]
While Mr. McWillis may be an excellent smith and very knowledgable about P90's, ADCO probably threads more barrels in three weeks than he has threaded in his entire life.  

Thats why it takes so long with TROS.  Youre really just dealing with Mark or the other guy.   Its not a matter of "You get what you pay for."    Its more like "You pay your money and youll wait for a good job, or you send that money to a bigger business and get the same quality work in a tenth of the wait."  

Ive got some of Marks stuff, including some excellent three lug stuff.   There is no question he does great work.   However, time is money and he is NOT a better machinist than ADCO.  The only determining factor should be whether or not ADCO is even doing them right now, which it appears they are not.   Therefore, I guess its a moot point.  I just dont think its fair to imply that anyone cuts threads better or truer than ADCO does, simply because they specialize in particular firearms.   Machining and gunsmithing are two different things.   Threading barrels concentricly, and to the right dimensions, is not gunsmithing.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It appears to be over already.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It worked for me about 2 hours ago, but doesn't appear to be working now. It still showed one price, but then changed it at the bottom of the screen once you went to checkout. 8 boxes was still a deal, but was a little more than ordering 4 boxes twice. It's now ~$30 more for those 8 boxes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It worked for me about 2 hours ago, but doesn't appear to be working now. It still showed one price, but then changed it at the bottom of the screen once you went to checkout. 8 boxes was still a deal, but was a little more than ordering 4 boxes twice. It's now ~$30 more for those 8 boxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered 5, 4 box orders. 1k total rounds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
While Mr. McWillis may be an excellent smith and very knowledgable about P90's, ADCO probably threads more barrels in three weeks than he has threaded in his entire life.  

Thats why it takes so long with TROS.  Youre really just dealing with Mark or the other guy.   Its not a matter of "You get what you pay for."    Its more like "You pay your money and youll wait for a good job, or you send that money to a bigger business and get the same quality work in a tenth of the wait."  

Ive got some of Marks stuff, including some excellent three lug stuff.   There is no question he does great work.   However, time is money and he is NOT a better machinist than ADCO.  The only determining factor should be whether or not ADCO is even doing them right now, which it appears they are not.   Therefore, I guess its a moot point.  I just dont think its fair to imply that anyone cuts threads better or truer than ADCO does, simply because they specialize in particular firearms.   Machining and gunsmithing are two different things.   Threading barrels concentricly, and to the right dimensions, is not gunsmithing.  
View Quote

After my experience with them I'd trust my three year old grandson with a hammer to do a better job than they did for me.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top