Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2016 2:22:58 AM EDT
I finally took the plunge. I casted these up awhile ago, but just finally got around to coating them.

I chose the power coat method. I have this small tumbler I don't use anymore, so it got repurposed.

Getting them little buggers to stand up on the tray can be a challenge.

Into the toaster for 20 minutes at 400*.

Nice and shiny.

Hammer test.

Gas checking.

Sizing to .309". I need to slug my barrel, but I think this will work for the first batch. Maybe I need a .310",but we'll see.

Ready to load.

I know that Harbor Frieght red is the only coating they make that works, So I tried some Sherwin Williams Mirror Black on a few, I think it will work. I got several other colors, that I may try, Thinking I might go Wiederlader, and drill up a board with some foil, and shoot them with My gun.

All in all, I think it went really well for My first foray into it.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What weight bullet did you cast and what is the variance in weight you've noticed?

They came out looking nice. Interested to find out how the populate on the target.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll get some averages on the weight tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
This powder coating thing is a whole new addiction.  and I blame dryflash for pushing me over the edge lol.  

Looking real good Dave.    

I've been using Harbor Freight red and also some custom colors from Prismatic Powders down in Oregon.    

You guys are tempting me to try a 300BLK mold and powder coated gas checked bullets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
For 300 subs, there is no reason for gas check if u PC. Supers may not even need. I would check accuracy between gas check vs no gas check bullet if your mold is designed for gas check.

I ran 45-70 bullets w and w/out gas check using pistol powder velocities and saw no difference in accuracy so I am leaving it off.

For anyone looking to get a new mold for 300BO subs.. I would buy PB mold.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks very nice.

More power to you plucking guys, you have the patience of a Saint.

I run large cook off batches of at least 1K.

I myself can not get into plucking bullets out with tweezers one by one and placing them on a pan.

The eventual Domino effect will destroy me along with little to no patience.

I shake and bake then dump on hardware cloth, one coat comes out great and I can get 180-200 pistol bullets in one bake.

If you want to try different colors, I recommend Smoke4320 over at castboolits.

It will cost you about three times the cost of the HF powder coat paint @ $17.50/lb, but you can get 4 colors in 1/4 lbs bags.

I'm still on my 1/4lb color after 3k coatings.

Since using Smoke4320's powder, the HF powder seems like rock salt.

The difference is night and day.

Some of Smoke4320's colors mixed with HF red, all once ASBB dry tumbled and dumped on hardware cloth.

Some pistol bullets after bake cooling.

.300AAC for a friend I baked.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks very nice.

View Quote

That first pic reminds me of an Easter basket.  Cool colors.  

I coat like you do, but just pick them out with a little powder on the fingers of a glove, and just toss them on parchment paper.  I was having too many stickers/wire marks with the hardware cloth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, those are the same mold as Dryflash.

When I get to pistol, I'll probably use the screen method.

As far as sizing diameter, I got a pound of known, guaranteed pure lead from the owner of the LGS. I'm going to cast something to slug my barrels with, but the only thing I can think of is a 9MM mould. Anyone got a better idea?

I hope .309" isn't too small, if it doesn't work, ohh well, I'll just melt them down and start over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Dryflash, how are You sizing to .310", I looked, and it doesn't seem that Lee makes a .310" sizing kit.

Are you using something else?

Also, I need to get a 6 cavity 9MM mould, thinking about one with a RN vs  TC.

RN mould

TC mould

I'll be shooting through a Sig P226, and a S&W model 59, any reason one would better then the other? I know they both like the Blue Bullets RN with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As far as sizing diameter, I got a pound of known, guaranteed pure lead from the owner of the LGS. I'm going to cast something to slug my barrels with, but the only thing I can think of is a 9MM mould. Anyone got a better idea?

View Quote

There is a method you can look for on cast boolits, they fill a sized case with lead, let harden, then place your soft lead projectile and filled case into the chamber.  Using a tight fitting rod, you ram the soft lead projectile into the filled case to get a good view of your chamber and throat/rifiling size.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dryflash, how are You sizing to .310", I looked, and it doesn't seem that Lee makes a .310" sizing kit.
View Quote

These work well, and you are not limited to the Lee sizes (But Lee can be special ordered, or a tighter model opened up at home)

NOE
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is a method you can look for on cast boolits, they fill a sized case with lead, let harden, then place your soft lead projectile and filled case into the chamber.  Using a tight fitting rod, you ram the soft lead projectile into the filled case to get a good view of your chamber and throat/rifiling size.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to look that up, Thank You.

Dryflash,

I have the .311 and .309 sizers, I ran a few through the .311, and they did come out .311, on My .309, I'm getting .3085-.309.

I'll have to slug the barrel and see where its at.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Typically any bullets I pc/load in rifle calibers I don't use a gas check on any load that under 25,000psi/1800fps.

When I do use a gas check on pc'd bullets I use a drop of super glue inside the gas check before I put it on.

Slugging your bbl will only tell you so much. A chronograph will tell you more about your bbl/load combo than slugging the bbl will. Take the same load and load 10 rounds of .309 bullets and then .311 bullets. If there's no difference in velocity then both bullet diameters are sealing the bbl in that loads pressure range. If the .311 bullets have a higher velocity then you'll know to size them to .311

For some reason the pc'd bullets have been more forgiving for me in 2 different 308's 1 bbl is a 1 in 10, the other is a 1 in 11. With both bbl's I had to size traditional cast/lubed bullets to .311 to get any performance/accuracy out of them. When I pc'd the same cast bullets I found that a .309 bullet worked fine. A classic example, don't know what it is with the 311291 bullet design. Never could push them real hard or accuracy would fall off. 10-shot group from a 308 @ 50yds using traditional cast/lubed bullets sized to .311 and using a gas check.

Same load/bullet/rifle/etc. This time the bullet was pc'd, no gas check and sized to .309. No loss in accuracy and a 60+fps gain in velocity.

Why all the fuss over .309 vs .311???
Because when I load a .309 bullet I can use a standard reloading expander ball (.306) in the 30cal dies that I use for the jacketed .308 bullets. When I load .311 bullets I used a expander ball (.310) that is designed for a british 303. The .310 expander ball tended to produce allot more accurate loads than the smaller traditional .306 expander.

Pc'd bullets make excellent plinking ammo, one of my favorite bullets that allot of people over look anymore. They were designed for the 30 carbine and are very accurate with most powders/loads in the 1600fps/1700fps range. Typical 10-shot 50yds accuracy from this pc'd bullet with no gas check and sized to .309

Enjoy your pc'd bullets, they bring allot to the table.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/464750/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-c312-155-2r-762x39mm-312-diameter-155-grain-2-ogive-radius-gas-check

This mold is what I use for 300 blk, sized .310 and 7.62x39 sized .312. I believe what Dave's using also.

<a href="http://s250.photobucket.com/user/dryflash3/media/Powder%20Coat/P1010907_zpsmrn6lrem.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Powder%20Coat/P1010907_zpsmrn6lrem.jpg</a>

View Quote

I swear this forum is going to be the death of me.  My wife's gonna kill me when she finds out I want to start casting.  

Dryflash3, is that your 200grn subsonic bullet?  If so, can you tell me what mold that is?

I think I'm going to get into this.  9mm, 45acp, 300 Blackout, and maybe for a .32-40 I haven't shot yet.   I registered over at the cast boolits site yesterday and have begun reading and researching.  I hope to secure my molds and pouring tools before things get nutty this fall.  I don't know that I will be casting any time soon, but I will be learning and gathering materials.

Thanks guys, for pushing me over the edge!

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#17]
So, here is My question, beings a beginner to the cast boollit thing, I need to ask about sizing.

The mould I'm using is a .312 diameter mould. This

Let's assume My barrel, is actually .308" in diameter, is it ok to stuff a .311" cast, sized bullet into it?

From what You are saying 3211, I should just size some at .309", and .311" with the same load, and see which bullet has more velocity, i.e., which bullet seals the barrel better?

As far as to gas check or not, for now I am just going to gas check My rifle bullets. Once I get alittle more skilled at it, I may go unchecked, but for now I just think it's one less thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So, here is My question, beings a beginner to the cast boollit thing, I need to ask about sizing.

View Quote

Depending on your alloy, you might not throw 312 from that mold.

What velocity are you aiming for?  This will determine your alloy selection.  But you are correct, sizing is more important than alloy type.  If mild loads are the goal, are you sure on the checks?  PC is cheaper, and the checks won't come off in a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The boollits I cast up, after powder coating, went through the .309" fairly easy, .311" took a little more resistance.

The batch of lead I mixed up came out pretty hard.

I don't plan on pushing them too hard at first, 300 BO plinkers, get it going, l plan moving to .223 PC Gaschecked, 100yard accuracy.

To Me, this is just something fun to do to get set for when I get back to it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Let's assume My barrel, is actually .308" in diameter, is it ok to stuff a .311" cast, sized bullet into it?

From what You are saying 3211, I should just size some at .309", and .311" with the same load, and see which bullet has more velocity, i.e., which bullet seals the barrel better?
Absolutely!!! A lot of different things go into cast bullets and how they function. Expansion, elasticity of the alloy and bullet skidding are a couple of things that can and will affect your cast/pc'd bullet.

As far as to gas check or not, for now I am just going to gas check My rifle bullets. Once I get alittle more skilled at it, I may go unchecked, but for now I just think it's one less thing to worry about.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]
That is all I have for sizing, is the LEE sizing kits. I got .309 and .311, both are sizing very close to what they are supposed too.

Well, I'll have to go dig out the Lyman cast lead load book, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#24]
So, I thought I'd throw this out there.

I just opened up my Lyman 50th to the 300 BO section for the first time, very nice info. I'm really liking the Lyman 50th, one thing I notice is that the barrel length used in a lot of the tests are more realistic to what people are shooting.

I was looking for my 150gr cast PC'ed bullets, and found that there is a load listed for H335 for a 160gr bullet. My cast, PC'ed, gas checked bullets are weighing in around 157-158gr.

Which could be pretty cool if it works, I got a good supply of H335 and WC844, plus a cast bullet and Wolf primers, could be a very economical load.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, I thought I'd throw this out there.

I just opened up my Lyman 50th to the 300 BO section for the first time, very nice info. I'm really liking the Lyman 50th, one thing I notice is that the barrel length used in a lot of the tests are more realistic to what people are shooting.

I was looking for my 150gr cast PC'ed bullets, and found that there is a load listed for H335 for a 160gr bullet. My cast, PC'ed, gas checked bullets are weighing in around 157-158gr.

Which could be pretty cool if it works, I got a good supply of H335 and WC844, plus a cast bullet and Wolf primers, could be a very economical load.
View Quote

You are planning to shoot that load out of a bolt action right? If not it won't cycle an AR.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#26]
According to Lyman, it was tested in an Olympic Arms with an AR Stoner 16" barrel.

IDK, worth a try, I got Lil Gun and W296 as well. I was surprised to see H335 listed.

15.5gr is listed as Min and 20.0gr is listed as max. Worth a few bullets and powder to try it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Unless it was causing some kind of fit issue in your chamber, why would you be worried about .001" of cast bullet diameter.

I shoot .311" (well like dryflash3 posted my Lee .311" push through die is a little less than .311) but anyway I shoot .311" cast bullets from all of my .308s including my 7.5x54 MAS which is a little smaller than. 308" and they work great.

Just look at the trends on the cast bullet forums. Many are now using .358" in 9mms regardless of bore size.

Cast bullets are very user friendly when on the large side. Being too small with cast is where you'll get the most problems.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I wasn't so much worried about as I just didn't know. This is really My first foray into shooting my own cast boolits.

Just making sure before I go. Easier to ask then to screw up and have bad things happen.

So, while I'm at it, what would  happen if you stuffed a .311" FMJ into a .308" bore?

Like I think AK's are a .311 vs a standard .308 Winchester?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wasn't so much worried about as I just didn't know. This is really My first foray into shooting my own cast boolits.

Just making sure before I go. Easier to ask then to screw up and have bad things happen.

So, while I'm at it, what would  happen if you stuffed a .311" FMJ into a .308" bore?

View Quote

Probably a little flatter primer than usual.

The army did all sorts of crazy experiments in the WW II era like shooting 8mm Mouser in 30-06. I read that they even shot 8mms from a 7mm.

In all of testing they didn't have a single major kaboom. Some stuck bolts and maybe a barrel bulge is all.

Remember the Finns made a 7.62x53R. These rifles have .308" groove diameter. Even so you never see any WARNINGS against shooting Russian 54R ammo from them. Yes you will see stuff like "be careful because pressure can be a little higher" but no firm do not use it.

My M39s are .3105 to .3115 and I shoot .312" jacketed bullets from them. .3105" is the norm for the M39 yet Hornady used one to develop their data for .312" bullets.
That should tell you something.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah, those are the same mold as Dryflash.

When I get to pistol, I'll probably use the screen method.

I hope .309" isn't too small, if it doesn't work, ohh well, I'll just melt them down and start over.
View Quote

I've used Water Gremlin bullet-shaped sinkers to slug .30 caliber-ish barrels.  I can't remember which size I used though...  It worked very well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#32]
So, I am just getting around to loading these up.

I'm using the Lee 312-155-2R, PC'ed with gas check, for this load I just sized it in the .311" push through sizer, averaging just a little under that.

Looking for a load, Lyman 50th, Hornady 9th and Lyman cast lead book have nothing for the powders I have on hand.

Looking to use Lil' Gun, or W-296. Memory serves Me right, I think more towards the Lil Gun load for the over 150gr weights.

I found THIS thread over at Cast Boolits.

From all of my reading it seems like a lot of people are around 15.0 to 16.0gr of Lil Gun, and about the same from W-296.

LC brass, #41 primer, loaded to mag length, start at 13.5gr and work up to15.0 to 15.5gr of Lil Gun seem like a safe starting point?

Thanks. Dave

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#34]
That's what I meant Put the .250 at the rib.

Anybody use Lil Gun or W296 with 160 gr  cast before?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The army did all sorts of crazy experiments in the WW II era like shooting 8mm Mouser in 30-06. I read that they even shot 8mms from a 7mm.

In all of testing they didn't have a single major kaboom. Some stuck bolts and maybe a barrel bulge is all.

Remember the Finns made a 7.62x53R. These rifles have .308" groove diameter. Even so you never see any WARNINGS against shooting Russian 54R ammo from them. Yes you will see stuff like "be careful because pressure can be a little higher" but no firm do not use it.

My M39s are .3105 to .3115 and I shoot .312" jacketed bullets from them. .3105" is the norm for the M39 yet Hornady used one to develop their data for .312" bullets.

Motor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Motor

Motor is 100% right on this about WW2 testing.

More recently, Arfcomer "Old Painless" / (Box-O-Truth) re-confirmed the tests from WW2 - a slightly larger bullet has negligible effect on peak chamber pressure.  

I believe P. O.  Ackley also conducted expiraments with oversized rifle bullets and did not encounter significant pressure increases.

If we are discussing approximately .311  size bullets in a 308 bore, remember that at one time, both Ruger's "Mini 30" and Colts 7.62x39mm Sporter rifle both used barrels with a .308 bore, but a long gradual throat in order to accommodate any sort of ammo the shooter might select. There were never pressure issues associated with these barrels AFAIK.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've used Water Gremlin bullet-shaped sinkers to slug .30 caliber-ish barrels.  I can't remember which size I used though...  It worked very well.
View Quote

It's the 1/8 size Water Gremlin slip sinkers.

They're apparently plain lead, and the hollow base makes it fairly easy to drive these down a barrel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you, I found them on Amazon. I'm just making an order for party decorations for the grandsons first B-day, slipped them in, wife will never notice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:05:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks very nice.

More power to you plucking guys, you have the patience of a Saint.

I run large cook off batches of at least 1K.

I myself can not get into plucking bullets out with tweezers one by one and placing them on a pan.

The eventual Domino effect will destroy me along with little to no patience.

I shake and bake then dump on hardware cloth, one coat comes out great and I can get 180-200 pistol bullets in one bake.

If you want to try different colors, I recommend Smoke4320 over at castboolits.

It will cost you about three times the cost of the HF powder coat paint @ $17.50/lb, but you can get 4 colors in 1/4 lbs bags.

I'm still on my 1/4lb color after 3k coatings.

Since using Smoke4320's powder, the HF powder seems like rock salt.

The difference is night and day.

Some of Smoke4320's colors mixed with HF red, all once ASBB dry tumbled and dumped on hardware cloth.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1wjfJVLJB08/VgMMFrIeWWI/AAAAAAAAEZ0/-DXNDuEL5nU1abtP2XrsEAhEtMsh5S9OQCHM/s1280/upload_-1

Some pistol bullets after bake cooling.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--zHd1u3Dk8g/VfX0984hFAI/AAAAAAAAEY0/SR3Pfelfq4IC0ojgSihc2jD6yKMFYOTsACHM/s1280/upload_-1

.300AAC for a friend I baked.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ze6BUHpA4VU/ViFog8TkYiI/AAAAAAAAHwk/vatS9EnbfIUB1CjgFqe787c1KvaCREZRQCHM/s1280/20151016_171318.jpg
View Quote

You have a PM, sir.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't load to mag length.

Use the .250 ogive rule for bullets 180 gr and lighter.
View Quote

So I got a few bullets marked and cases expanded, seated one to the rib and one to the crimp groove.

The one seated to the crimp groove is on the bottom, the one seated to the rib is on top.

They seem awfully short seated to the rib, measure 2.016" seated to the crimp groove, it feeds just fine.

I'd think being able to use the CG would be nice, kinda figure that might be why LEE put it there?

What to do?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#40]
So, I'm finding people loading these anywhere from 2.000" out to 2.050", so I'm thinking it'll be OK.

Would still like to hear some input though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]
A tad shorter, as in "to the crimp groove" in your picture, should be fine.  You're trying to get the magazine rib to direct the bullet toward the feed ramps, so a little short should work.

No experience with these specific bullets, but I did get 110 grain FMJ RN .30 Carbine bullets to feed reliably using this seating depth technique.  I don't have the numbers handy, but these bullets were seated to a really short COAL, and they worked fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I got the W296 ladder done and seated, I need to FCD them and then try to Flare some more cases for the Lil' Gun load. But ran out of steam, maybe after dinner.

But I did load up 5 of the 2.016' OAL, and they fed and ejected fine.

I was going to cast up a few more and PC them black for the Lil' Gun load, then I thought not to, as it could be a variable. So I decided to stick with the red for now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
That seems like quite a difference, 0.055". I just went down and measured a couple random pieces of brass, and got 1.359-60".

I'm hoping to run up to the range and shoot this test, then stop back in town for an apt tomorrow.

I think I'll do that before loading up the Lil' Gun test.

Now that I look at my pics up above, I might have them switched around. The one seated to the crimp groove is on top, rib length is below.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A tad shorter, as in "to the crimp groove" in your picture, should be fine.  You're trying to get the magazine rib to direct the bullet toward the feed ramps, so a little short should work.

No experience with these specific bullets, but I did get 110 grain FMJ RN .30 Carbine bullets to feed reliably using this seating depth technique.  I don't have the numbers handy, but these bullets were seated to a really short COAL, and they worked fine.
View Quote

I looked it up: my .30 Carbine bullets were seated for a COAL of 1.93", and as I said, they worked fine.  Don't get hung up on the actual length of the round, but pay attention to how the magazine ribs will guide the round into the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Dave. What is your gas check question? I use the Lee 160gr 2R TL in a few different calibers and powder coated with HF red.

I shoot it without gas check for velocities below 1500 fps. It shoots just fine for me with or without the gas check.

I'm getting ready to use these in 300 BO as well and intended to try them without the gas check.

My Hornady copper checks fit good. I don't have any hesitation seating them below the case neck. I think it's rather silly to suggest that they could be stripped off of the bullet when it enters the neck. The neck has to expand from the pressure and does so the instant the pressure rises plus wouldn't the pressure also be pushing against the bottom of the bullet/gas check?

Motor
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, I got to the range alright.

I got there, set up, shot a few leftovers from some S&B, Z-max, and some of my 150gr Lil' Gun.

Then I went to shoot the ladder. I had one bullet that got a little shaved when I didn't have it straight when I seated it. from the first charge weight 13.0gr. So, I figured what the hell, I'll just load it single in the mag and pop it off. I didn't expect that charge weight to cycle. But it fed just fine, and it did cycle and locked the bolt back. From what all I've read, I really didn't think it would, had a pretty good pop to it as well.

I decided to put the Magnetospeed on and chrono the test as well, I went to convert the Magnetospeed from clamp-on to Picatinny rail, which I have to use for the BO rifle, I stripped the bolt on the clamp. It's a little tiny .050 allen head and My hands ain't all that great, I didn't have the key in there well enough or whatever. Dicked around with that till I got too frustrated, and packed it in. I stopped at the hardware store and got some more bolts, Phillips head.

I will have to drill the head off and remove it tomorrow.

I just felt like I should wait and get chrono info as well as accuracy, kind of a waste to not get both at the same time.

It was fairly accurate, bottom right target.

Try to fix up the Magnetospeed in the morning and go back up there tomorrow.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dave. What is your gas check question? I use the Lee 160gr 2R TL in a few different calibers and powder coated with HF red.

I shoot it without gas check for velocities below 1500 fps. It shoots just fine for me with or without the gas check.

I'm getting ready to use these in 300 BO as well and intended to try them without the gas check.

My Hornady copper checks fit good. I don't have any hesitation seating them below the case neck. I think it's rather silly to suggest that they could be stripped off of the bullet when it enters the neck. The neck has to expand from the pressure and does so the instant the pressure rises plus wouldn't the pressure also be pushing against the bottom of the bullet/gas check?

Motor
View Quote

I don't really have a gas check question, I just decided to use them first time out. Once I get this load to work, I'll try removing them if it works below 1500 FPS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Dave.  The lid of your ammo box says Lee 155gr. I thought you were using the 160gr.

dryflash3. You said your AOL with the 155gr is 1.760"? edit to correct OAL to 2.05  How could Dave's be 2.016" ?

I'm confused.

Motor

dryflash3  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top