Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Drama, REALLY BUSHMAN???
View Quote

Yes, really.  I meant to try translate his valid concerns without the drama.  I failed.  

Also, the camera used has settings, default settings even are settings.  I also understand that you can't tweak the settings to make the picture better for each or else it isn't much of a valid comparison.  I also understand that settings that make the Gen1 show up in a picture may very well make the Gen3 look washed out or over bright.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Vic, would an HDR photo (High Dynamic Range) help with displaying what the eye sees through the NV device?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vic, would an HDR photo (High Dynamic Range) help with displaying what the eye sees through the NV device?
View Quote

There's a problem when our displays can only show 256 different brightness values of green. With night vision HDR imaging would mean reducing the shadows to bring up details, but would that look any better?

Good cameras with good lenses can capture over 12 bits (or even 14 bits when you add a trailing zero to the price) of useful data per color channel (12 bits = 4096 brightness values, 14 = 16384), but the problem of showing them remains. There is work underway to bring more bit depth to screens (televisions will be the first as it's the easiest one to convert, not that much software and hardware to redo) already this year. We might see televisions on Christmas that do this and hopefully work is also underway for PC operating systems & graphics hardware to support more color depth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Man does that gen 1 viper suck. The D300 is about the lowest performing tube I'd feel comfortable even letting somebody use. The gen 2+ SHP actually really impressed me though. That tube is LIGHTYEARS better than the D300, although it clearly has its struggles as well.

I also notice the ITT tube is a bit "brighter" than the L3 tube, although not enough of a difference to pick one over the other. This was an awesome test. Best NV post I've read thus far.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top