Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2013 12:36:05 PM EDT
Do these filters attenuate high powered military visible lasers only, or are they applicable to civilian low power visible lasers.

Also, are there any available for IR lasers?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-devices-neutral-density-filter-for-dbal-a2-and-dbal-a3.html

http://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-devices-neutral-density-filters-for-eolad-ital-a-ital-hp-otal-a-otal-hp-and-dba.html
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all they do is lower the power level, thus neutral across entire spectrum. Like a camera neutral density filter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look for a narrowband rejection filter, or an IR cutoff filter not a ND.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If the filter is placed over the laser a neutral density filter will serve the same purpose as a notch filter if it attenuates to same degree. The laser operates at a specific wavelength  ie 1064nm yag laser used by military for years ,if you reduce the entire spectrum some of the power emitted it will be blocked thus a weaker laser keep in mind you can place this filter over a 780nm laser as well because it blocks the entire spectrum the same amount. This why they use a neutral density filter it will work when placed over any laser. Now if you are placing it over your night vision then a band rejection filter will block the laser and allow you to still see the rest of the spectrum. That is the same as using laser glasses to block the wavelength of the laser you are working with to avoid burning your retinas while still able to see what your doing. The laser safety glasses are band rejection filtered blocking a specific wavelength. The filters that fit the dbal will reduce the output for any wavelength they are placed over thus neutral density, this is why you don't have to buy a band specific one, one size fits all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the explanation, Hardware, I kinda thought that but was not sure, may have to check these out and try one out, even if it does not work as planned, it will make a great lens cover anyways....
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What did you need?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking this may possibly reduce the bloom on my civvy 0.7mW IR lasers some?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
it should that is the intent, just like sunglasses for lasers key is to what degree of attenuation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man, will find out and report back to let you know!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Price is low enough to try. The power supplies in the lasers are easy to adjust, too bad the mfg didn't put a high med low setting. I did this to a visible laser, have pressure switch for normal and second switch for low power you need the NV to see it. The source still has a faint red dot. Thinking of making one from a 980nm  laser to see if it works for the NV, should be totally invisible to naked eye.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Price is low enough to try. The power supplies in the lasers are easy to adjust, too bad the mfg didn't put a high med low setting. I did this to a visible laser, have pressure switch for normal and second switch for low power you need the NV to see it. The source still has a faint red dot. Thinking of making one from a 980nm  laser to see if it works for the NV, should be totally invisible to naked eye.

Is this something that is easy to accomplish with an insight visible laser? I have a type 3a visible red paq4 type laser and while it works okay kfor my needs, dialing the brightness down would make it better suited for use under goggles.

Edit: to clarify i am talking about dialing down the power supply or modifying a pressure switch for lower power, whatever you did.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess it's just like the covers for a PEQ-2, makes it dim but still visible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sound like it would work like my Miller Welding helmet does?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
if you have a remote pressure switch placing a diode in the circuit will drop .7 volts which will lower the brightness. I have 2 switches one above the other in the same shrink wrap one is direct the other has the diode soldered to it . The second switch drops .7 volts which makes the laser very dim, but works with night vision out to 200yds on dark night. I use black tape to hold down anything that may move, I don't want anything moving in the dark, you have to know what is where. A neutral density filter will also lower the power key is how much filter is needed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sky, I just ordered one off Amazon, though optics planet is the seller.  Should have it within 5 days unless Optics Planet is lying to Amazon about having one in stock.  I'll let you know what my experience is with it if you like.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:35:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Whoops! I beat ya to it, we'll see whose arrives first!
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
very interested to see results. If it reduces the .07 bloom at close range without totally killing it i'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Bah, as usual, Optics Planet lied.  Their Amazon listing said they had one "in stock."  I just got an email from them via Amazon saying my order would ship in "5-10 days."
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got mine in the mail, have not had a chance to try it out yet, maybe tonight though....
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
It does fit perfect on my civilian DBAL-D2 and the lens covers the IR laser, so I will try it out tonight and see how it works.

If it attenuates the IR laser, just moving the cover off like you normally would anyhow will bring it back to full power.

Will see how it works through the lens and report back with some MonoCam photos of it.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, on the LDI main site, these filters are NOT offered to civilians and they are listed in the MIL/LE section under laser accessories and it states:

RESTRICTED TO MILITARY OR GOVERNMENT LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY.

?????

http://www.laserdevices.com/index.cfm/p-Laser_Accessories_173.htm
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just got mine in the mail, have not had a chance to try it out yet, maybe tonight though....

Double-Bah, where did you get yours?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics Planet, guess I beat ya to it...
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is the LDI Neutral Density IR Filter installed on my DBAL-D2:

Here is the MonoCam/PVS-14 setup, will use it tonight to see how the filter performs with the IR laser:

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Optics Planet, guess I beat ya to it...

Just checked Optics Planet and they now are on back-order with expected ship dates of 2-4 months.....

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, fellas, I finally nailed the BLOOMING HOLY LASER GRAIL!

The LDI Neutral Density Filter works absolutely perfect and sheds the bloom, leaving a nice precise laser beam footprint!

Here are the photos of it from my MonoCam ITT PVS-14 setup at 175 yards using exact same camera settings, one set is 1X and the other set is zoomed in some for a close up of the beam footprint.

You just leave the filter cap on over the lasers for low power, and flip the cap over to use high power, super simple and it even works now if you had forgotten to flip the cap to begine with and then needed to use it...

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow, this is a freakin' awesome improvement, the LDI Neutral Density is the cat's meow for laser bloom!
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Sunglasses for laser
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sunglasses for laser

You were right on, this is a total positive game changer, much much better precise use of the IR laser!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#29]
R U using the ir filter on the pvs14 it will block a very small amount since it within the pass band of the filter
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I was looking at it through my ITT Pinnacle PVS-14 mounted on my helmet with the 720nm IR filter but the ITT Pinnacle on the camera did not have any IR filter on the objective lens, just normal PVS-14 for the actual photos.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Using a filter will clean up the image on the camera cutting out the lower spectrum causing chromatic aberrations.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I will check that out this weekend, I have a couple of spare 30mm Opteka 720nm IR filters stored in my gear pack that I can use on the MonoCam mounted PVS-14.

I may try some Night Vision filming too this weekend if it is not freezing cold, it is about 30*F out now with a cutting wind...
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Try one filter then stack them together and see if that helps, the pics I have posted are thru 2 filters stacked. My eotech is non NV and this works great, plenty of adjustment. Looking at eotech 557 for shooting sub sonic loads 4 dots . I use strelok for bullet calc on android phone works very good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I will try that out, never thought to use two before, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]
It's kind of ironic I just found out these exist.

After I got my D2, I found myself wishing for a lower power mode due to the bloom which although present I thought was manageable. I also figured my older Gen 3 tube was partly to blame since I know the halo on it is higher than the newer stuff out there.

So I talked with a friend of mine who works with lasers to see if he had any solutions. His response was a neutral density filter.

After doing a little research on the filters I found there were several strengths available. At my friend's suggestion I hit up eBay for a couple of cheap Chinese made camera lens NDFs in each strength I wanted to test. I got one of each in ND4, ND8, ND16, and ND32 strengths.

I found that while each helped I had my best results with the ND32 which, according to Wiki, allows 3.125% of light through.

Once I found what worked, I then tried to figure out how to best attach the NDF to the DBAL. That's when I had the idea to use the laser cover since it just flips out of the way and, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to mod since replacements were cheap. So I punched out the center of the IR laser portion of the cover:

That's as far as I got though. I ended up putting the project on a back burner due to being busy with work and never got around to finding someone (like a jeweler) to cut the filter down to a size where I could fit it into the cap.

Enter these covers with the filters built in! Kind of funny LDI came up with the same idea I had.

I figured it would certainly save me the legwork and the price is right so I've now got one of each of those on order from Optics Planet. One of the DBAL ones for my D2 and one of the ITAL/OTAL ones I'm going to try to modify for my Newcon LAM-2.

SkyPup,
Since you've got one of these, I'm curious, does it make any mention of the strength of the NDF?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#36]
It does not make any mention of the filter strength on the filter or the packaging from LDI.

But this LDI Neutral Density filter works great on the DBAL-D2 turning it into a two level IR laser, low & high, there is another model available for the DBAL-I2 and OTAL & ITAL lasers...

Low seems to be equal to about 0.1mW and High is of course 0.7mW.

Here is a comparison shot from my 0.1mW LASTAC pistol laser compared to the 0.7mW IR DBAL-I2:

LASTAC by itself:

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice pics, do you want to take a few at 25 and 50 yards?  Hopefully mine is a true 5-10 days from shipping, and not an Optics Planet "5-10-we mean 5 months" away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I can take some close up pics with the filter on later on this weekend.

Here is a 30 yard pic of the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser and the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser side by side with lots of bloom:

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Low seems to be equal to about 0.1mW and High is of course 0.7mW.

Excellent! I know my LAS/TAC looks great at close range so it's good to know this brings it down to that level.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Indeed, it is a huge improvement and super simple to turn off or on....I like it!
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Is there any danger of POI shift when using the filter over the laser?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Not that I am aware of, the light always goes in a straight line.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#43]
What is ironic is that at one time everybody wanted the high power military IR lasers.  All the cool kids had the milspec DBALS.  With use, many figured out they were way too strong for most civilian distances.  Now we are all wanting to tone down our lasers, even the civilian legal ones.  As Skypup mentioned, it turns a DBAL D2 into a dual strength IR laser.  Now we can have different strengths with the new dual power IR DBAL I2 (.07mW high & .01mW low).

I wonder what these do to a military IR laser.  Anybody have any exprience with that?  It is kind of funny to turn a military grade IR laser into a civilian powered laser.  NV guys are never happy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Wonder if i can turn up the power on my crimson trace laserguard. Anybody know! I'd like it a little brighter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is ironic is that at one time everybody wanted the high power military IR lasers.  All the cool kids had the milspec DBALS.  With use, many figured out they were way too strong for most civilian distances.  Now we are all wanting to tone down our lasers, even the civilian legal ones.  As Skypup mentioned, it turns a DBAL D2 into a dual strength IR laser.  Now we can have different strengths with the new dual power IR DBAL I2 (.07mW high & .01mW low).

I wonder what these do to a military IR laser.  Anybody have any exprience with that?  It is kind of funny to turn a military grade IR laser into a civilian powered laser.  NV guys are never happy.

We shoot allot of hogs and coyotes hiking out to our feeders and traps while on the trail walking in and out of the woods at night.

Quite often these are instant NV pickups coming out of the deep woods and swamps that cross our path, using a helmet mounted PVS-14 and the DBAL IRs makes for some real quick target acquisition and real quick kills, although the IR laser bloom sometimes makes this more difficult than it should be. Having a DBAL-D2 with its IR Illum or the DBAL-I2 with a Torch Pro is very helpful to eliminate the bloom and make the shot properly.

These ND filtered IR lasers really reduce the bloom significantly and therefore make placing lethal shots much easier.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is the pictorial story of the LASTAC 0.1mW IR laser compared to the DBAL-D2 0.7mW IR laser close up @ 30 yards and @ 175 yards to show the major decrease in bloom associated with the use of the LDI Neutral Density Filter on a 0.7mW IR laser footprint:

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I exchanged messages with LDI some weeks ago about the ND filter for DBAL-I squared.
I was tole that the filter was in fact an ND filter, neutral gray, so it is indifferent to the color of the laser it is used with.

Further, i was told that the attenuation was such that it would reduce the output power of the 0.7mW laser to the effective power of the 0.1mW level.

The correct filter for the civilian legal IR laser in the DBAL-I squared is FA06147-01 (the dash 01 for black rubber, dash 02 for green, and  dash 03 for tan)

I never did order one from Optics Planet because the shipping was excessive for such a small item.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for that info.

The LDI Part Number of the ND filter I am using on my DBAL-D2s is FA05349-01

Neutral Density Filter - Black

The filter itself is very black glass and you cannot see through it at all unless looking through it at the sun.

It is nice to be able to use it without having to remember to take the cap off...
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I use a nd filter over my t100c2 Ir light to reduce the power for walking in brush 80yds and under shots, its a plastic cap with the filter taped in place simple push on type, so I have low, normal, and turbo. Turbo with the filter on is like normal power, except wasting battery power at the turbo level.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#50]
If anyone has a bead on one in stock for a DBAL I2, shoot me an IM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top