Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2016 3:07:41 PM EDT
Got rid of my old garbage can Century FAL and want another 7.62. Haven't been a fan of AR10s, can't afford an M1A or DSA FAL soooo?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like its about your only option. Not a bad one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Save your pennies.

DSC_1633-M1A Can by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep saving until you can swing a FAL.  Why settle, get what you want a little later and not what you can currently afford.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I think part of my uncertainty is I've never fired an HK91/93. I've got time with MP-5s but good bit of handling difference. I do like the FAL. My old one was a Century turd I got at a gunshow for $500. Made good profit off of it so either way that worked well. I am an HK fanboy so i see positives there for the PTR.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
ArmaLite Def 10 and don`t look back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
One of each.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Dsa voyager for a grand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dsa voyager for a grand.
View Quote

This is news to me. Any clue who's got it instock at that price? Specifically the 16"
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't seen an in stock 16 inch in while but I have one. I like it pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]

What's your opinion of the four?

OP: try Gunbroker. Better yet check out the EE here and over at FALfiles. There are a few nice kits up for sale over there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
An AR-10-type would obviously be the best gun all around, generally speaking. But I'll play the 'anything but an AR' game...

Between the DSA and PTR, I think the FAL types have more alure than the Cetme types. That said, mag prices are a bit different between the two. A factor.

Save and consider spending a little extra if it means getting what you want. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is news to me. Any clue who's got it instock at that price? Specifically the 16"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dsa voyager for a grand.

Aim Surplus had them in multiple barrel lengths for $999 a few weeks ago

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Have seen a few FALs at shows most of them are 21" barrels,I wasn't looking or taking poll on country manufacture or variation there is a guy in Dallas,Texas that has a really nice display if you IM/email me with your info I'll research it for you and get back to you
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got an M1A, PTR-91 GI, a couple FAL's and LR-308 (AR10).  

If I could only have one for a shooter, I'd take the LR308/AR10 with the FAL a close second.  The PTR-91 GI, I like for looks over all the rest, but man if it doesn't beat up the shoulder something fierce.  Not as fun to shoot unless you're a recoil junkie.  Optics on it is less than straightforward, but do-able.  The M1A is a good rifle as well, unless you want to put optics on it.  Many options, but they aren't cheap; Sadlak mount, new stock to raise cheek-rest, etc...

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing will supplant my FAL's, but I really dig my PTR-91 GI. Great shooter. The recoil impulse has two distinct peaks, but it's not much worse on the shoulder than an FAL. For $899 shipped from PTR, I'm very happy with it. Mags are dirt-ass cheap, too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a real deal H&K eons ago.

Good:  Reliable, accurate, always the center of attention at the range.

Bad:  Heavy, goofy ergonomics, so so trigger, spit brass about as far as it spit bullets, sights were an acquired taste.

Sold it after the first import ban for five times what I paid for it and never looked back.  Currently have a Polytech M-14 to scratch the 7.62 battle rifle itch.  If I were to get serious about it, I'd go AR-10.  You might find a Poly or Norinco 14 in that price range.  I paid $850 for mine three or four years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I would do an Armalite Defender series for around that price point.

So much better design than the HK.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I would do an Armalite Defender series for around that price point.

So much better design than the HK.
View Quote

I own both and agree completely.

I like the PTR, a lot, but if I had to part with one, it'd be the PTR.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Aim has some in stock
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Keep saving until you can swing a FAL.  Why settle, get what you want a little later and not what you can currently afford.
View Quote

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17
M14 is harder to mount optics and work on
Hk91 type weapons are good not as robust as the above 3

If money is an issue go for the FAL u can get them for a little bit more than 900
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have owned all of them. The ar10 is the best choice esp if you build it yourself.

The fal and m1a1 is second depending on what you want. Both are less accurate then the ar10 and that is why i sold them.
Fal has better ergo and easier mag changes. M1a1 is better balanced and better sights.

The ptr is the worst. More recoil. Poor ergo. Difficult mag changes. Plus is it is very accurate and works well suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have owned all of them. The ar10 is the best choice esp if you build it yourself.

The fal and m1a1 is second depending on what you want. Both are less accurate then the ar10 and that is why i sold them.
Fal has better ergo and easier mag changes. M1a1 is better balanced and better sights.

The ptr is the worst. More recoil. Poor ergo. Difficult mag changes. Plus is it is very accurate and works well suppressed.
View Quote

I agree mostly but still thing the FAL is more durable and compact bec u can have a folding stick with an FAL. The AR 308 is more accurate and reliable but also proprietary parts.  My choice for a SHTF weapon is the FAL & SCAR 17 for a combat weapon. Can't go wrong with an FAL AR or SCAR.  but for the money I'd go w an ar or FAL
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

If money is an issue go for the FAL u can get them for a little bit more than 900
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

I don't have much good to say about G3 pattern guns, but they are probably more durable than anything but the SCAR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree mostly but still thing the FAL is more durable and compact bec u can have a folding stick with an FAL. The AR 308 is more accurate and reliable but also proprietary parts.  My choice for a SHTF weapon is the FAL & SCAR 17 for a combat weapon. Can't go wrong with an FAL AR or SCAR.  but for the money I'd go w an ar or FAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't have much good to say about G3 pattern guns, but they are probably more durable than anything but the SCAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

A stamped receiver is not more durable than a FAL or M14.  And the bolt is more delicate. Saying the G3 type weapons are more durable than an FAL or M14 is incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/Silvertip3/CIMG0669.jpg

I meant compared to the AR.  Not G3
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#28]
He likes to state his opinions as fact. Meanwhile that Vegas place supposedly has MP5s with half a million rounds and G3s are still in use throughout the world. The basic design has outlasted it's replacements.

Guess those stamped receiver AKs are shit too.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered a PTR 91 last week and it shipped today. I got it because since I already have an M1A I have ammo on hand and years ago I bought a box of 100 HK G3 mags for dirt cheap. I am getting the GI model with no rail as I don't plan on an optic for this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He likes to state his opinions as fact. Meanwhile that Vegas place supposedly has MP5s with half a million rounds and G3s are still in use throughout the world. The basic design has outlasted it's replacements.

View Quote

Didn't say they (G3s) were shit. And milled AKs are more durable than stamped AKs.
I back up my thoughts with reason. If u don't like them don't listen to them.
But thats very liberal of u to misunderstand what I say and attack people
My experience is by owning an HK91 in the past and currently owning FALs and M1A

In my opinion the FAL is more durable than a G3. And I believe there are more using the FAL than G3s in the world today. But I don't know that for sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A stamped receiver is not more durable than a FAL or M14.  And the bolt is more delicate. Saying the G3 type weapons are more durable than an FAL or M14 is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

The G3- like the AR, FAL, and SCAR- doesn't have the open receiver of the M14 that lets all kinds of shit into the action and magazine. Sure, the receiver can be dented, but there are more G3's still in service worldwide than all except (probably) the FAL. I don't know why you are saying the bolt is more delicate- it's massive and robust.

The G3/PTR is a quirky rifle for sure, but it's a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The G3- like the AR, FAL, and SCAR- doesn't have the open receiver of the M14 that lets all kinds of shit into the action and magazine. Sure, the receiver can be dented, but there are more G3's still in service worldwide than all except (probably) the FAL. I don't know why you are saying the bolt is more delicate- it's massive and robust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

Don't get me wrong the G3 is a good weapon.  The bolt carrier is massive but the bolt isn't.  The  rollers are a bit delicate. I prefer the FAL over the G3 and M14
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I own all of the above (except a SCAR 17), and I like the M14 the best. All are susceptible to damage, of course. G3 receivers can be dented enough to interfere with bolt carrier movement. I've never seen it happen personally.

There are optics mounting solutions for each. I prefer the ARMS 18 for the M14. Add a cheek riser and you're good to go. A welded-on rail is the best method for a G3, as everything else seems way too high. (It'll still need a cheek riser.) FAL mounts can interfere with bolt removal. Mine's a para and I've never wanted to add optics to it. FAL's typically exhibit vertical stringing in their groups, which varies as the mag empties.

I vote $900 towards a Norinco/Polytech M14S (which will generally get you one), although PTR would be my second choice.

If you can afford to build a 7.62x51 AR within your budget, it would be the absolute best for optics.

Obviously a SCAR 17 is out of the question. I'll own one eventually. I think it wins in every category, except durability from impact damage.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:32:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a PTR91, a DSA FAL, an M1A, an M-762 AR10 clone, and TWO SCAR-17's.
The biggest reason the PTR sits in the safe, is it's brutal on brass, and I reload. CHEAP mags are a plus, and the biggest reason I bought it.
I shoot one of the SCAR's most, then the M-762, then the M1A. FAL is another one that sits around not getting used, and that's mostly because when you optic it up, it's HEAVY, and that's the biggest reason I love the SCAR.
OP only wants to spend a grand, PTR is not a bad choice really, but if you can find a FAL, or AR, they're better.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Surprised I didn't see it earlier in the thread but I've been seeing PSA AR-10's for crazy cheap.

I haven't shot one or really read the reviews but I imagine it would be on my short list if I was looking in the same price range.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
My advice would be to save your money and get a DSA FAL.

I have a PTR-91, a DSA FAL, and an M1A. Taking the M1A out of the comparison (because it's an early Devine, Texas, gun with serial number below 1,000 and has all the National Match enhancements), the FAL is by far the better gun than the PTR-91.

The low price of the PTR is somewhat deceptive. I spent a lot on upgrades for mine, including a metal trigger housing, a wide forend, a bipod, a bayonet adapter, etc. In the end, it's still a stamped sheet-metal gun in the tradition of the M3 Greasegun. It's as crude as the FAL is sophisticated.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My advice would be to save your money and get a DSA FAL.

I have a PTR-91, a DSA FAL, and an M1A. Taking the M1A out of the comparison (because it's an early Devine, Texas, gun with serial number below 1,000 and has all the National Match enhancements), the FAL is by far the better gun than the PTR-91.

The low price of the PTR is somewhat deceptive. I spent a lot on upgrades for mine, including a metal trigger housing, a wide forend, a bipod, a bayonet adapter, etc. In the end, it's still a stamped sheet-metal gun in the tradition of the M3 Greasegun. It's as crude as the FAL is sophisticated.

View Quote

The Sig 55x series and the Stg 57/AMT are also sheet metal guns but were/are consider among the best manufactured firearms of their type.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
This.
Don't hate on the sheet metal. The MG42 is another fine example. Americans love the Thompson because of its history and fine machining, but the Grease Gun is the superior SMG.

$900 will fetch a Chinese M14S, which is a better rifle than SA puts out these days anyway. FAL's are the heaviest and (typically) least accurate of the options. Its only advantage over a G3 type is the auto bolt hold-open.

And if you really want to hate me, let me tell you about how the FAL is just an updated redesign of the Soviet SVT.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:17:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Didn't say they (G3s) were shit. And milled AKs are more durable than stamped AKs.
My experience is by owning an HK91 in the past and currently owning FALs and M1A

In my opinion the FAL is more durable than a G3. And I believe there are more using the FAL than G3s in the world today. But I don't know that for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Milled receivers don't make AK's more accurate. The heavier barrels on proper type 3's does though.

I've owned every major type of battle rifle on the market. I stopped with a FN SCAR, but would easily take the G3 over a FAL. The only unreliable battle rifles I've had were an M1A Supermatch that OOB'ed and destroyed the TRW bolt, and a FAL that held a shotgun pattern and popped open like a break action shotgun out of the blue whenever it felt like it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#41]
this:
VZ-2008
and a case of russian steel case ammo
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#42]
The 308 AR really beats all these now. Before manufacturers really got good at making 308 ARs reliable and affordable, I had numerous FALs and roller-locked HK types. I used the FALs for general purpose 308 work and G3s setup in SG/1 configuration for DMR type work. If for some reason I did not want an AR in 308 (in today's reality I cannot fathom why) and I only had $900 then I would get a PTR with a proper paddle mag release, or a chinese M14 clone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I gotta laugh at all the posts here where the author cites a particular weapon as being the "best" because there are particularly large quantity of them out in the hands of some armed force somewhere.

Let's face it, most of the countries still using a rifle chambered in 7.62x51 are doing so for one of the following reasons:
1.  the cartridge provides added range for precision marksmanship over smaller cartridges.  (This is why the DOD still has M14's wandering around in service)

2.  the weapons are hand-me-downs gotten on the cheap from some country that has transitioned to a smaller caliber rifle  (How do you think places like sub-Sahara Africa wind up with FAL's and G3's?)

3.  the weapons were acquired YEARS ago via some sweetheart deal with Uncle Sugar, FN or H&K, and nobody can afford to buy a replacement, since those types of deals are not common any longer.  (Why do you think Iran still has craploads of G3's in service?)

None of those, perhaps with the exception of #1 above, provides any "evidence" that a particular .30 caliber rifle is "the best".
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I gotta laugh at all the posts here where the author cites a particular weapon as being the "best" because there are particularly large quantity of them out in the hands of some armed force somewhere.

Let's face it, most of the countries still using a rifle chambered in 7.62x51 are doing so for one of the following reasons:
1.  the cartridge provides added range for precision marksmanship over smaller cartridges.  (This is why the DOD still has M14's wandering around in service)

2.  the weapons are hand-me-downs gotten on the cheap from some country that has transitioned to a smaller caliber rifle  (How do you think places like sub-Sahara Africa wind up with FAL's and G3's?)

3.  the weapons were acquired YEARS ago via some sweetheart deal with Uncle Sugar, FN or H&K, and nobody can afford to buy a replacement, since those types of deals are not common any longer.  (Why do you think Iran still has craploads of G3's in service?)

None of those, perhaps with the exception of #1 above, provides any "evidence" that a particular .30 caliber rifle is "the best".
View Quote

Best is subjective.  Iran makes its own G3's by the way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
this:
VZ-2008
and a case of russian steel case ammo
View Quote

LMAO. I was about to ask why not a Czechpoint VZ58. But then I realized that was your sale thread. Cheeky little bugger
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The 308 AR really beats all these now. Before manufacturers really got good at making 308 ARs reliable and affordable, I had numerous FALs and roller-locked HK types. I used the FALs for general purpose 308 work and G3s setup in SG/1 configuration for DMR type work. If for some reason I did not want an AR in 308 (in today's reality I cannot fathom why) and I only had $900 then I would get a PTR with a proper paddle mag release, or a chinese M14 clone.
View Quote

This, though this section has totally become the 'I want something that isn't an AR, because everyone has an AR and I can't get props or feel special'

Who would have predicted this 10 years ago? That people would pay almost as much for CAI rebuilds as Colt 6920's.

Seriously though, you'll be way over $900 if you try to start modernizing these old designs; unless you get the more expensive modernized versions to start. Otherwise, 7.62 AR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This, though this section has totally become the 'I want something that isn't an AR, because everyone has an AR and I can't get props or feel special'

Who would have predicted this 10 years ago? That people would pay almost as much for CAI rebuilds as Colt 6920's.

Seriously though, you'll be way over $900 if you try to start modernizing these old designs; unless you get the more expensive modernized versions to start. Otherwise, 7.62 AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people just want a legacy battle rifle and optics. Any of the big 3 can do that. I will contend that 7.62 AR's are much more ammo sensitive (and if not they're usually way overgassed like the LMT) than any of the others. While out of the budget, I went with the SCAR because it was accurate and still eats just about anything. For the Op's budget the PTR-91 is about the only decent quality battle rifle on the table. It's not a bad choice if you go into it understanding its limitations.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Iran makes its own G3's by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
via some sweetheart deal with Uncle Sugar, FN or H&K, and nobody can afford to buy a replacement, since those types of deals are not common any longer.  (Why do you think Iran still has craploads of G3's in service?).

Iran makes its own G3's by the way.

I was aware that HK had sold them the tooling and rights to domestically produce the G3.

That is typically the way HK used to make money on their products.  They preferred to lisence a country to build domestically, since they would be able to sell the tooling and charge setup fees for the domestic factory.   They did that in a bunch of countries besides Iran.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAL AR 308 or SCAR17

Agreed!  I've actually seen tools for sale meant to be used to get dents out of Hk91 receivers.  Think I'd take a FAL or M14 any day over a HK.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I got my PTR91 GI in and gave it a good cleaning and took it out. I couldn't be happier with it. The recoil is not nearly as bad as some have made out and it can shoot. I'm waiting until its broken in until I really shoot for groups but from what I've seen so far, I won't be disappointed. I'm very pleased with it. The only thing I could find "wrong" with it was that the handguard was wobbly in the rear. A tiny bead of epoxy on the handguard fixed that. You can't even see it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top