Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2017 5:39:33 PM EDT
I received this in the mail brand new from Glynn @ Own Night

I went to put the unit together today to find that one of the contacts was canted off to the side.  When i looked closer you could clearly see that they were glued in with what appeared to be hot glue.

When i so much as touched the other contact is slid right off like it was sitting in goo.

I contacted Glynn at OwnNight and not surprisingly he told me to pound sand and get ahold of AB Night vision.  Now that is customer service!

Anyway,

Think again before you go exotic!  It's not all unicorns and rainbows.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
In before someone mentions TNVC.

Oh. Wait. Dammit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you pay with a CC?  Just file a complaint. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
So you bought a bare mod3 housing from night vision inc, or he assembled it and it now looks like this?

My mod3's and sentinels are all similar. Those pads are held in with epoxy or some type of glue. Replacement should be straight forward.

The pods are fairly cheap so this should be an easy fix. FWIW, I ordered a MOD3 kit and the gain hole was out of spec, so some of this might be  manufacturing issue.

Not really sure why NV INC refused to help you get warranty support to replace the faulty pod.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I know Glynn some what well (I used to live around the corner from his shop), and he has always been a stand up guy.  He is a one man show though, and does get backed up from time to time.  

If OP contacted Glynn via email or text, I would be curious to see what was said on either end.

EDIT:  Also, im no expert on the Mod 3's, but is it possible that due to heat or jostling durring shipping that the adhesive used on the contacts got too hot and melted?  Depending on whether or not Glynn build the housing from scratch or just sold what was already assembled by AB, I could understand why Glynn may have asked OP to contact AB for warrant repair/replacement.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
FWIW, I bought a similar sentinel housing about a year ago from an EE add and those little contacts were just glued in with what looked like hot glue just like your picture.  

I also noticed one of them broke loose but with a drop of hot glue it was an easy fix.  No idea if it happened in shipping or if the original guy accidentally knocked one off but it was easily fixable.  

Glynn has been very helpful anytime I needed anything, and considering he basically does it by himself, and can still have time to respond within a reasonable time frame keeps me going to him over a few other people in the industry that seem too busy to help most of the time.

But my response is that I don't think it was intentional.  If it was me, I would have made sure the light pipe and retainer was threaded in, then checked the housing for defects and boxed it up.  

And you say he told you to pound sand?  What exactly was said?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
glynn is GTG, he will take care of it if AB does not. even though its a simple fix why not send it back to glynn and allow him to fix the problem? i can guarantee he did not say to pound sand
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Micro D housing ( same manufacturer as MOD3) from another vendor and it had the same issue with the hot glued contacts. 30 seconds with a hot glue gun- problem solved.

Not worth a phone call to the seller about a non issue.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I think people are expecting a much more refined product when they spend $1300 on a housing and they don't want it to look like it was someone's basement DIY project. When I ordered my manual gain housing and I had to sand the pieces to fit properly, I had some real questions about quality control, but it went together great and has been rock solid for 2 years. Plus, I'd rather the fit be too tight than too loose - NOBODY wants loose and wobbly!

This is part of the DIY build part - had I gone through a pro builder, I'd never have seen the inner workings - sanding for proper fit, glues, and clear epoxy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#12]

On Aug 4, 2017, at 8:45 PM, Glynn <glynn@> wrote:

Can you send a more complete picture of the whole unit

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

On Aug 4, 2017, at 3:07 PM, Glynn <glynn@> wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear you had problems with the MOD3

All I can think is maybe it got hot in transport or something , it was new and checked prior to shipping.

AB warranties all their product and are a stand up , first rate company

AB Nightvision Inc
1528 Edgemont Ave
Bristol TN 37620
United States

Ship it back to them with a note and your contact info

I will let them know it's enroute

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

I got your call while I was in a meeting and stepped out to address your problem, I thought I calmed you down when I said dont worry AB nightvision has a warranty and they are stand up guys and will address any warranty issues and asked you to send your info so I could forward it to AB nightvision as well as contact them so that it would be smooth and not a surprise.

You even sent me an email with your address that I omitted from this string so as not to put that info out there and contacted AB and set everything in motion.

I am really beside myself with your I told you to pound sand as you and I both know that never happened.

You called me with a concern about a product I just shipped you.

I told you that warranties are handed through the manufacturer.

you sent your info and I replied and never heard peep since then.

I got a call from AB this morning while I was out in the field saying  that there was a post on AR15 about the issue that I had told them about Friday and they were as surprised as I was.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://ibb.co/c3vfWa
https://ibb.co/gVtCcF
https://ibb.co/kcTpPv

I got your call while I was in a meeting and stepped out to address your problem, I thought I calmed you down when I said dont worry AB nightvision has a warranty and they are stand up guys and will address any warranty issues and asked you to send your info so I could forward it to AB nightvision as well as contact them so that it would be smooth and not a surprise.

You even sent me an email with your address that I omitted from this string so as not to put that info out there and contacted AB and set everything in motion.

I am really beside myself with your I told you to pound sand as you and I both know that never happened.

You called me with a concern about a product I just shipped you.

I told you that warranties are handed through the manufacturer.

you sent your info and I replied and never heard peep since then.

I got a call from AB this morning while I was out in the field saying  that there was a post on AR15 about the issue that I had told them about Friday and they were as surprised as I was.
View Quote
Pics didn't come through.

But either way...

@jadamsnginfantry are you going to come back to this thread? Or was your whole point just to cause a problem?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#14]
This is basically a copy and paste from the email string that was posted with pics that wont post.

I redacted the mail addresses so as not to violate rules AND removed his email that started the string that had his address that I sent to the manufacturer

Hello

I have been waiting for replies and have been jumping through hoops calling the owner of AB and trying to get you taken care of this weekend.
Haven't heard peep from you, can you let me know what's going on so we can help you?

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

All I can think is maybe it got hot in transport or something , it was new and checked prior to shipping.

AB Nightvision Inc
1528 Edgemont Ave
Bristol TN 37620
United States

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
He only bought a mono housing for $320 sipped and I think I gave him a deal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you. Thought we were going to do lunch soon
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
He hasnt responded to me yet via this post or emails
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you TNVC_SAM

We just sold him a Mono MOD3 and it was 100% when it went out and he called and I told him he would have to send it to AB and that I would get ahold of them and set it all up to make it smooth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is basically a copy and paste from the email string that was posted with pics that wont post.

I redacted the mail addresses so as not to violate rules AND removed his email that started the string that had his address that I sent to the manufacturer

Hello

I have been waiting for replies and have been jumping through hoops calling the owner of AB and trying to get you taken care of this weekend.
Haven't heard peep from you, can you let me know what's going on so we can help you?

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1

AB Nightvision Inc
1528 Edgemont Ave
Bristol TN 37620
United States

Glynn Sziraki
Night Vision Inc
Cage 67TG1
View Quote
Everything seems cut and dry.

Waiting on op to return for his response.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#20]
He you need to come by and go get a bite with me!

Yeah I thought maybe the same but AB said 150 degrees on the glue when I talked to the owner Adam that day.
I was johnny on the spot trying to help and dont know why this buyer chose to go about this this way, I gave him a good deal and paved the road for the warranty return.
:(
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#21]
He just bought a MOD3 mono , says he went to assemble and the contact came loose

Now Im getting slammed :( after I told him it was a waranty return and even got ahold of AB to get it in easy and fast for him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#22]
MOD3 MONO housing only and new with two year warranty through AB , I told buyer that and asked if he would send his contact ifo over to me so I could forward that to AB and get him AB's info, I did all that on the phone call and I dont know how that got translated into "GO POUND SAND" maybe translator is broken?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He just bought a MOD3 mono , says he went to assemble and the contact came loose

Now Im getting slammed :( after I told him it was a waranty return and even got ahold of AB to get it in easy and fast for him.
View Quote
What do you mean getting slammed?  Op responded?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I sent an email and havent heard back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What kind of warranty do you have? Is the unit new?
View Quote
I didnt quote sso here it is so people can figure out what I was talking about

It was a MOD3 mono housing only and they have a two year warranty through the manufacturer AB
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you pay with a CC?  Just file a complaint. Problem solved.
View Quote
Well He called and I stepped out of a meeting to deal with it and told him AB covers warranty repairs and I would get it all set up , then no responses to emails and this on AR
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So you bought a bare mod3 housing from night vision inc, or he assembled it and it now looks like this?

My mod3's and sentinels are all similar. Those pads are held in with epoxy or some type of glue. Replacement should be straight forward.

The pods are fairly cheap so this should be an easy fix. FWIW, I ordered a MOD3 kit and the gain hole was out of spec, so some of this might be  manufacturing issue.

Not really sure why NV INC refused to help you get warranty support to replace the faulty pod.
View Quote
No he just bought a MOD3 MONO housing only and then tried to assemble and said the contact came loose, told him AB handles warranty and set all that up but then this morning AB called me and said this AR15 stuff was kicking off and that was to my surprise as I had been emailing buyer all along and no replies from him
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank sooomth

Get at me , we need to go get a bite
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I doubt very much this was Glynn's fault. More than likely this is a manufautuer issue, unfortunate but it does happen. No company is free from any and all blems. It happens.
That said if this had been a TNVC MOD3 that I built it never would have gone out the door as I personally inspect and QC this and as an additional check I get Martin to give everything a once over just incase.
If we at TNVC can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to reach out we deal with AB Night Vision daily. I am happy to help.
View Quote
Thank you Sam,

If you guys need anything Im here to help as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#30]
redacted
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What do you mean getting slammed?  Op responded?
View Quote
Well I talked to him on the phone and thought everything was ok
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well I talked to him on the phone and thought everything was ok
View Quote
gotcha, the pics of the emails show this all happened on the 4th, including Op posting this thread.

Seems like he may be impatient or has something personal against you.  Seems off to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Glynn went out of his way to build my mod 3 full unit (2 monos and the bridge). His communication was better than ever meaning while my parts were with him, he answered the phone at 9pm. We talked about options for probably close to 20 minutes and was patient with me. I got the feeling that Glynn does a lot for people that he does not even bill them for because he wants to see good gear in the field so to speak.

Glynn, you are a stand up guy and I would recommend you to anyone.

Op, you have some explaining to do.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Glynn went out of his way to build my mod 3 full unit (2 monos and the bridge). His communication was better than ever meaning while my parts were with him, he answered the phone at 9pm. We talked about options for probably close to 20 minutes and was patient with me. I got the feeling that Glynn does a lot for people that he does not even bill them for because he wants to see good gear in the field so to speak.

View Quote
It's funny you mention that.

I sent a DTNVG off to Glynn to get collimated, purged, and focus set properly.

From FL to Cali and back again it was gone one week total, that includes time being in the mail.

Other people in the industry who will remain nameless have taken much more time to get things resolved as well as not being nearly as responsive.

That is one of the main attributes that keeps me going to Glynn over a few others.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's funny you mention that.

I sent a DTNVG off to Glynn to get collimated, purged, and focus set properly.

From FL to Cali and back again it was gone one week total, that includes time being in the mail.

Other people in the industry who will remain nameless have taken much more time to get things resolved as well as not being nearly as responsive.

That is one of the main attributes that keeps me going to Glynn over a few others.
View Quote
Thank you! I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL dont go tellin people I answer the phone at 9PM LOL
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:42:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well He called and I stepped out of a meeting to deal with it and told him AB covers warranty repairs and I would get it all set up , then no responses to emails and this on AR
View Quote
Looks like he flaked out. You sound on the up and up to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Looks like he flaked out. You sound on the up and up to me.
View Quote
Thank you We pride ourselves with customer satisfaction and providing excellent service.

I really cant understand how this customer went from sending his address to start return to , this post and non communication, to direct communication with AB , to flipping out on AB and sending emails with foul language?

We were just trying to help him from the beginning
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#39]

http://imgur.com/a/8SQK1

Here is a picture of the inside of that monocular we received back from Jason.  He completely broke one of the contacts off.   I bet you 100 bucks neither one of us shipped it in anywhere close to this condition.  It also had no rings with it so you will want to either get those back or only do a partial refund.  Infinity Focus, close Focus, eyepiece lock, tube retainer, light pipe
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://imgur.com/a/8SQK1

Here is a picture of the inside of that monocular we received back from Jason.  He completely broke one of the contacts off.   I bet you 100 bucks neither one of us shipped it in anywhere close to this condition.  It also had no rings with it so you will want to either get those back or only do a partial refund.  Infinity Focus, close Focus, eyepiece lock, tube retainer, light pipe
View Quote
50 posts and pics still not showing, weird...

Anyways, I made link hot for you.

In for popcorn and Op returning to explain.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
Glynn did you receive the housing back or is that AB's response?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you We pride ourselves with customer satisfaction and providing excellent service.

I really cant understand how this customer went from sending his address to start return to , this post and non communication, to direct communication with AB , to flipping out on AB and sending emails with foul language?

We were just trying to help him from the beginning
View Quote
Oh I understand and I'll bet you do too but I'm guessing you have to play nice because of public image

People are fucking weird. Unfathomably, inexplainably, weird.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL dont go tellin people I answer the phone at 9PM LOL
View Quote
It's too late. Soon this will be on GD and you'll be getting late night calls asking if you like imitation crab meat and model trains.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#44]
the infinity lock ring threads look stripped also, sounds like buyers remorse after OP screwed up trying to DIY night vision LOL
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
the infinity lock ring threads look stripped also, sounds like buyers remorse after OP screwed up trying to DIY night vision LOL
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I must say, that is one of the crappiest hot glue jobs I've ever seen.  Also, is that shavings mixed in the glue. Wonder if he tried to fix it himself?  Would be better to use something like Marine Goop.  Would hold way better.  Maybe too well if it has to be removed for some reason, though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I must say, that is one of the crappiest hot glue jobs I've ever seen.  Also, is that shavings mixed in the glue. Wonder if he tried to fix it himself?  Would be better to use something like Marine Goop.  Would hold way better.  Maybe too well if it has to be removed for some reason, though.
View Quote
This was my assumption.  I don't think for a second Glynn or AB would have let this out of their sight in this condition LOL.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Personal experience: Own Night good to go.  FYI
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Where did Op go???

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
I'm guessing he saw this and has skipped town.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top