Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out sigs SS video on 300blk, Recce 7 mod 3 has better numbers too... I was gonna get the Sandman-S seen that video and changed my mind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The video was taken down because they screwed up the numbers and even showed a tbac can in parts of the video. A new videp will be up soon. Ive shot all three dead air cans on multiple occasions. I own specwars, recce 7, an omega and a few others. The dead air cans are solid and the S is my favorite. As stated before it has an awesome deep tone and those numbers were wrong. It will be clarified shortly. Also realize that there are cans that meter lower at the muzzle but these are more quiet at the ear where it really counts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The video was taken down because they screwed up the numbers and even showed a tbac can in parts of the video. A new videp will be up soon. Ive shot all three dead air cans on multiple occasions. I own specwars, recce 7, an omega and a few others. The dead air cans are solid and the S is my favorite. As stated before it has an awesome deep tone and those numbers were wrong. It will be clarified shortly. Also realize that there are cans that meter lower at the muzzle but these are more quiet at the ear where it really counts.
View Quote

The video had the dead air cans metering around 144Dbs at the ear on a 16" 5.56...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The video had the dead air cans metering around 144Dbs at the ear on a 16" 5.56...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension isnt your strong suit is it
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to be rude.  Since you're insinuating you have inside information, care to explain why the numbers are incorrect?  Silencer Shop pulled the video with no explanation, I'd like to think if they "screwed up" they would have already issued a clarification on their Facebook page, which they have not done.  They could have easily posted an explanation and not doing so raises an eyebrow to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No need to be rude.  Since you're insinuating you have inside information, care to explain why the numbers are incorrect?  Silencer Shop pulled the video with no explanation, I'd like to think if they "screwed up" they would have already issued a clarification on their Facebook page, which they have not done.  They could have easily posted an explanation and not doing so raises an eyebrow to say the least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you expect when I say they posted the wrong numbers and you quote numbers that I said were wrong? You either didnt read my post or have a reading comprehension problem. I wasnt being rude, just honest.

It took them a long time to post anything about the surefire 30 cal test that disappeared and only made a statement after being prodded by everyone. They do a lot of reviews and people make mistakes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What do you expect when I say they posted the wrong numbers and you quote numbers that I said were wrong? You either didnt read my post or have a reading comprehension problem. I wasnt being rude, just honest.

It took them a long time to post anything about the surefire 30 cal test that disappeared and only made a statement after being prodded by everyone. They do a lot of reviews and people make mistakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You continue to imply insider knowledge but you're only speculating.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they made no announcement and just fixed the video. I'm still in on the Sandman S as I should have mine sometime next month. I bought it without knowing numbers based on the the reputation of people who make up DA and the great mount design. I also like Todd's comments earlier in this thread where he said they went after reduced back pressure and noise at the shooter's ear. I'm not a dB chaser so I can live with these so called "flaws." I just know that shooting with the Sandman S on will be a hell of a lot better than without.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not implying insider knowledge at all. Im saying I do. Those who get insider knowledge and divulge sources no longer get insider knowledge. Pretty simple concept for even the most mentally challenged. Silencershop posted a sandman video showing a tbac can and had the wrong meter info. Theyre going to post the correct info in a new video soon. What else do you need to know?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Sandman S on a Form 4 right now.  Not gonna lie, I was disappointed by the numbers in that video.  On the other hand, I've handled the can and (as has been stated before) it's obviously built for durability over dB chasing.  It uses a large blast chamber and three (I think) robust baffles (not counting the endcap).
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not implying insider knowledge at all. Im saying I do. Those who get insider knowledge and divulge sources no longer get insider knowledge. Pretty simple concept for even the most mentally challenged. Silencershop posted a sandman video showing a tbac can and had the wrong meter info. Theyre going to post the correct info in a new video soon. What else do you need to know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a professional relationship with SS or another industry company? We've had recent issues with this as I'm sure you know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You continue to be insulting and cryptic, have you signed a NDA?  If so, why not just say so?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Im just another guy on the internet. Its not important who or where I get my info from. Not sure why yall are so caught up in where I get my info from. Ive posted stuff before thats been proven right. Ive got nothing to prove to anyone. I just like Mike and hate to see people lose interest in his product over a retailer posting wrong information. Im not affiliated with any company, nor have I signed an NDA. Im just a regular guy whos fortunate to know really cool people.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im just another guy on the internet. Its not important who or where I get my info from. Not sure why yall are so caught up in where I get my info from. Ive posted stuff before thats been proven right. Ive got nothing to prove to anyone. I just like Mike and hate to see people lose interest in his product over a retailer posting wrong information. Im not affiliated with any company, nor have I signed an NDA. Im just a regular guy whos fortunate to know really cool people.
View Quote

Damn. I was betting on Pappas' wife

Well I look forward to accurate info.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

So let me get this straight, you're not an SME or industry professional on the forum, we're on an anonymous gun forum, you admit you're "just another guy on the internet" and were not clear on exactly what you did or didn't know, then question the intellect of others whom you know virtually nothing about and are then puzzled by why someone might be a little skeptical?

You might want to read up on narcissistic personality disorder and I mean this in the nicest possible way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So let me get this straight, you're not an SME or industry professional on the forum, we're on an anonymous gun forum, you admit you're "just another guy on the internet" and were not clear on exactly what you did or didn't know, then question the intellect of others whom you know virtually nothing about and are then puzzled by why someone might be a little skeptical?

You might want to read up on narcissistic personality disorder and I mean this in the nicest possible way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen skippy, if you dont like what I say ignore it. After all I am just another guy on the internet. I could say Im who the hell ever and it wouldnt matter. YOU are the one demanding to know my source when it doesnt matter. Im told the new video will be posted today or tomorrow. As to the rest of your post, rock on man. People like you are why hardly anybody from the industry or people who actually know what theyre talking about post here or the internet for that matter anymore. I simply gave everyone a heads up that the ss video was fatally flawed and to wait for the correct one. Then you jump in demanding a bunch of shit just like a spoiled teenager who cant read.

The ONLY reason I even posted is because I really like Pappas and the people involved with Dead Air so I didnt want to see them lose sales over wrong info being posted. Your petulant child attitude is exactly why I dont post useful information in here anymore.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:Your petulant child attitude is exactly why I dont post useful information in here anymore.
View Quote

Dude.  I don't have a dog in this fight one way or another.....but have you ever been to the internet???
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#19]
1slow01z71,

I appreciate the info.  I respect both Mike and Henry Graham.  When they were run off from SilencerCo, I lost interest in SilencerCo products.  

Looking at Dead Air and Rugged to fill the void.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Why do I keep thinking of that old saying, "who you gonna believe, me, or your lyin eyes"?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Howdy All,

No conspiracy.  Looks like 1slow had the correct info above.  Silencer Shop had the wrong data and even the wrong can pictured in the video so they pulled it.  They didn't post here explaining it because they weren't the one that  posted the video link here.  They can't be everywhere on the internet at once and there are strict rules on this forum about manufacturers or dealers posting some of this kind of info so I can't blame if they decided not to.  I'm actually proud of you guys for recognizing how loud those numbers were.  I'm also very pleased with Silencer Shop for recognizing they had some erroneous data and fixing it.

With that said, I'm not going to say this is the quietest can out there at the muzzle.  But, for its size it's a great performer.  It's actually less than the 7" long as was stated, (it's 6.8") and will only add 4.2" beyond the muzzle device.  Don't forget that it's a QD device and If it were a thread on, it would be in the 5" range.  I feel there's no reason to ever buy a 5.56 can with this out there.

What it does do really well is drastically drop the sound to the shooter.  It will typically be 1-3 dB quieter at the ear than a Sandman -L or Ti, and 3-8 dB quieter than other cans on the market.  It also has a deeper tone than people expect because it cuts out some of that high pitched pop.  They shared their numbers with me and I've got a table of numbers from all the demos we've done with the -S and it falls right in line with our testing and other independent tests (like Joshua from Capitol Armory on the previous page).  I'll be putting that out there after Silencer Shop gets their new video up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#22]
So where's the video?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you all still planning on releasing a direct thread adaptor for the S & L? If so any ETA?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Are you all still planning on releasing a direct thread adaptor for the S & L? If so any ETA?

Thank you
View Quote
I got the impression that was a lot further down on their to do list.  I'm still waiting on flash hiders and 556 end caps.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
New video is up!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd really like to see numbers with the 5.56 end cap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Still has the wrong suppressor in the summary shots.

Looks like it was only quieter at the ear on the bolt action.  I'd be interested in real world impressions on blowback compared to other cans.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Think someone at SS needs a new calculator. The final avg db reduction numbers in those videos don't make sense.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/qiYq0BdJg9I

View Quote

That testing wasn't dramatically different than before, .308 & .300Blkout (.300Blkout even had a similar FRP) numbers were essentially unchanged, 5.56 performance seemed to have improved which considering the others didn't really change strikes me as a little odd.  I'd really like to hear an explanation from Silencer Shop on what really happened with the first video.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd really like to see numbers with the 5.56 end cap.
View Quote

If they have a 5.56 end cap available that would actually make sense why the 5.56 numbers improved from the first video.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#32]
<- 300blk noob
Did the FRP seem high?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like the S is going to be an great 5.56 can.  It's pretty much the same weight and size as an AAC M4-2000 but about 3db quieter at the shooters ear. The 138db muzzle average is still well below the sound the subersonic bullet makes going down range.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looks like the S is going to be an great 5.56 can.  It's pretty much the same weight and size as an AAC M4-2000 but about 3db quieter at the shooters ear. The 138db muzzle average is still well below the sound the subersonic bullet makes going down range.  
View Quote

I'm not an AAC fan but the M4-2000 performs in the low 130s at the muzzle on a 16" barrel, even with the revised video 5.56 numbers improved but were far from anything to write home about.  I'm not a .300Blkout guy but that seems like the best application for this can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm not an AAC fan but the M4-2000 performs in the low 130s at the muzzle on a 16" barrel, even with the revised video 5.56 numbers improved but were far from anything to write home about.  I'm not a .300Blkout guy but that seems like the best application for this can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Silencer Shop got 131db adverage at muzzle for the M4-2000 but at the ear its 3db louder than the Sandman S. Everyone has different requirements but at the ear is most important to me. 50+ yards down range I don't think most could hear the difference between 131 and 138 muzzle when the subersonic bullet noise will be much louder than muzzle report. (This is something I need to test)

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Silencer Shop got 131db adverage at muzzle for the M4-2000 but at the ear its 3db louder than the Sandman S. Everyone has different requirements but at the ear is most important to me. 50+ yards down range I don't think most could hear the difference between 131 and 138 muzzle when the subersonic bullet noise will be much louder than muzzle report. (This is something I need to test)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a  good point, I'd be interested to see a follow up video with the Sandman S on a 10.5-12.5 length AR with data at muzzle and shooter's ear.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Well the Sandman-S is a work horse, but the numbers are not impressive IMO. The Recce7 mod 3 has better numbers and is a workhorse too. I'm gonna listen to the Sandman-L since they say the Sandman-Ti is similar. Wonder if I'm being too critical?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#38]
I've always looked at numbers but having shot the sandman s and l against my specwar 7.62 the s actually sounded better than all of them on a 308 bolt action. The tone is incredibly low and doesn't hurt the ears at all. On 300 win mag the s sounded awesome too. Very comfortable without hearing protection. I also got to shoot it on a 16" 5.56 and the s sounded very similar (maybe better) than my saker 5.56.  I agree the numbers don't look as good as some cans but man this can is quiet and very little blowback on the 5.56 gun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've always looked at numbers but having shot the sandman s and l against my specwar 7.62 the s actually sounded better than all of them on a 308 bolt action. The tone is incredibly low and doesn't hurt the ears at all. On 300 win mag the s sounded awesome too. Very comfortable without hearing protection. I also got to shoot it on a 16" 5.56 and the s sounded very similar (maybe better) than my saker 5.56.  I agree the numbers don't look as good as some cans but man this can is quiet and very little blowback on the 5.56 gun.
View Quote

Thank you for sharing this. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Think someone at SS needs a new calculator. The final avg db reduction numbers in those videos don't make sense.
View Quote

True story... the averages of their individual shots are correct, but the average db reductions noted at the bottom of the screen are not:

• For .308 they say 21.0 db. Based on their shot data, it should be 23.1 db.

• For .300 BLK they say 28.2 db. It should be 26.6 db.

• For 5.56 they say 23.5 db. It should be 27.0 db.

As someone previously mentioned, the Sandman-S measurements at the shooter's ear are what really stand out to me. For comparison (same guns in the Silencer Shop videos):

• 2.5db less than the Omega for .308

• 3.5db less than the Omega for .300 BLK

• 4.9db less than the Omega for 5.56

The Omega drops an additional 11.8 db at the shooter's ear (down to 134.0 db) with a 5.56 end cap installed. I'm anxious to see what a 5.56 end cap does to the Sandman-S.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

True story... the averages of their individual shots are correct, but the average db reductions noted at the bottom of the screen are not:

As someone previously mentioned, the Sandman-S measurements at the shooter's ear are what really stand out to me. For comparison (same guns in the Silencer Shop videos):

The Omega drops an additional 11.8 db at the shooter's ear (down to 134.0 db) with a 5.56 end cap installed. I'm anxious to see what a 5.56 end cap does to the Sandman-S.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you add a 5.56 cap to your 7.62 suppressor, it will decrease it at the muzzle (we know this) but it actually increases the sound (and blowback) to shooter.  Adding the 5.56 cap on the Sandman -S will drop the average by 1-2 dB, and will kill some FRP.  On the other hand, it will proportionally increase the sound to the shooters ear by 1-2 dB.  I'm guessing the at-ear # from the Omega video is a typo because it's mid-140's at the ear even without the 5.56 cap--which will then only increase it.  I'm guessing 144 dB instead 134 dB.  And that would be a pretty favorable number for that can.  

So, decide if you want to impress your friends or yourself.  We sell 5.56 caps, but to be honest I like it better without.  The rifle stays cleaner and the action is quieter.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When you add a 5.56 cap to your 7.62 suppressor, it will decrease it at the muzzle (we know this) but it actually increases the sound (and blowback) to shooter.  Adding the 5.56 cap on the Sandman -S will drop the average by 1-2 dB, and will kill some FRP.  On the other hand, it will proportionally increase the sound to the shooters ear by 1-2 dB. I'm guessing the at-ear # from the Omega video is a typo because it's mid-140's at the ear even without the 5.56 cap--which will then only increase it.  I'm guessing 144 dB instead 134 dB.  And that would be a pretty favorable number for that can.  

So, decide if you want to impress your friends or yourself.  We sell 5.56 caps, but to be honest I like it better without.  The rifle stays cleaner and the action is quieter.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you add a 5.56 cap to your 7.62 suppressor, it will decrease it at the muzzle (we know this) but it actually increases the sound (and blowback) to shooter.  Adding the 5.56 cap on the Sandman -S will drop the average by 1-2 dB, and will kill some FRP.  On the other hand, it will proportionally increase the sound to the shooters ear by 1-2 dB. I'm guessing the at-ear # from the Omega video is a typo because it's mid-140's at the ear even without the 5.56 cap--which will then only increase it.  I'm guessing 144 dB instead 134 dB.  And that would be a pretty favorable number for that can.  

I've wondered about that for quite a while but just assumed I was missing something.  It seemed backwards to get less noise coming out of the back of a system when you reduce the front aperture size and keep everything else constant.  At this point I'm adopting a wait and see attitude toward the new generation of centerfire rifle cans.  I want another one, a lot, but I'm pretty dang happy with my current SDN-6.  Of course my potential patience could be shattered at any moment by another great sale in the other thread
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Sorry I just realized we shot that one with the Sandman L. I'll see if I can get a different video with the S
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Private video......
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Private video......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Private video......

Sorry fixed it. I don't do much posting of videos. This one took like an hour to figure out...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sorry fixed it. I don't do much posting of videos. This one took like an hour to figure out...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private video......

Thanks, it sounds nice. What are your thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private video......

Awesome but I prefer the S to the L.  The L is still a very quiet can but the S to my ears was almost as quiet and much smaller. Perfect size for 5.56 and .300 blk. Honestly I thought the S was quieter to my ears than the L, but it could just be where I was standing. Both are great and I'm sure anyone who gets them will be happy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When you add a 5.56 cap to your 7.62 suppressor, it will decrease it at the muzzle (we know this) but it actually increases the sound (and blowback) to shooter.  Adding the 5.56 cap on the Sandman -S will drop the average by 1-2 dB, and will kill some FRP.  On the other hand, it will proportionally increase the sound to the shooters ear by 1-2 dB.  I'm guessing the at-ear # from the Omega video is a typo because it's mid-140's at the ear even without the 5.56 cap--which will then only increase it.  I'm guessing 144 dB instead 134 dB.  And that would be a pretty favorable number for that can.  

View Quote

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Private video......

Great video, +1
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top