Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever they offer, I don't think it can match the Apple or Intel stock I bought back in 1978...
View Quote

Fruit and computer stocks are a waste of time...  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Drugs and Molecular Genetics are where it is at!??
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Drugs and Molecular Genetics are where it is at!??
View Quote

Well... drugs anyway.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much all of my thermal hog and coyote kills are accurately placed sniper shots out to 225 yards, if I cannot make a lethal single shot, I do not shoot.

I am never just praying and spraying lead around.

Probably close to 95% of my kills are one shot kills, rarely do I ever fire more than twice and the second shot is mostly a coup de grace if needed.

I thought that perhaps there was something special about the collimation of the lens systems of the L3 LWTS that allowed for the use of variable power day scopes targeting at different magnifications?

I do like spending some time in a stand with one of my game warden friends, I learn more talking to them for an hour than I do reading the internet for a year.

One thing though, when the game wardens want information on what they need in the way of thermal scopes and how to properly utilize them, they all come to me for that.
View Quote

LOL…  When you get into sounders with 40-50 pigs in them good luck with setting up and getting a "sniper" shot on one of them..  There's always a smart sob boar hog around that's going to bust your ass.  First hog put one in the ear then whack the shit out of many as you can.   Your not spraying and praying so to speak.  Know your leads and its like shooting doves in Argentina.  Once you kill enough of them its second nature.  Two waaaaaay different types of hunting styles.  If your ever in Texas give me a pm.  I"ll take you out hunting.

KM  

KM
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL…  When you get into sounders with 40-50 pigs in them good luck with setting up and getting a "sniper" shot on one of them..  There's always a smart sob boar hog around that's going to bust your ass.  First hog put one in the ear then whack the shit out of many as you can.   Your not spraying and praying so to speak.  Know your leads and its like shooting doves in Argentina.  Once you kill enough of them its second nature.  Two waaaaaay different types of hunting styles.  If your ever in Texas give me a pm.  I"ll take you out hunting.

KM  

KM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty much all of my thermal hog and coyote kills are accurately placed sniper shots out to 225 yards, if I cannot make a lethal single shot, I do not shoot.

I am never just praying and spraying lead around.

Probably close to 95% of my kills are one shot kills, rarely do I ever fire more than twice and the second shot is mostly a coup de grace if needed.

I thought that perhaps there was something special about the collimation of the lens systems of the L3 LWTS that allowed for the use of variable power day scopes targeting at different magnifications?

I do like spending some time in a stand with one of my game warden friends, I learn more talking to them for an hour than I do reading the internet for a year.

One thing though, when the game wardens want information on what they need in the way of thermal scopes and how to properly utilize them, they all come to me for that.

KM  

KM

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/8%20Hogs.mp4

Sniping simply works great for me!

Picked up five that night and three the next day, including the first shot sow.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice video, thanks. It seems that group of piggies could not have been more cooperative. Funny how they ran into the woods before coming right back in front of you so you could finish the job. I don't usually see them being that helpful. haha
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice video, thanks. It seems that group of piggies could not have been more cooperative. Funny how they ran into the woods before coming right back in front of you so you could finish the job. I don't usually see them being that helpful. haha
View Quote

That has happened to me numerous times over and over again, just happened to have the video recorder engaged that time....
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That has happened to me numerous times over and over again, just happened to have the video recorder engaged that time....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you using a suppressor? The off-axis sound may be confusing to them. Difficult to tell where the shot is coming from.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
HOLY CRAP that video is spectacular!!  The clip-on thermal is truly a force multiplier, that is unbelievable.  I just went outside to see how mine looks through a major downpour and was actually fairly impressed.  I remember trying to use my AN/PAS-19 units in the rain up north but not being able to see anything at all if it was heavy.  It makes sense given that water does not appreciably transmit the relevant wavelengths, but I was still able to get a decent image out to a couple hundred yards.  I even picked up an enterprising little blue heron checking puddles for edible items at ~75 yards.  This was HEAVY rain too, I love this dang thing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
No, that was prior to getting my cans, that 7.62mm just has a Troy Claymore Compensator on it to direct the sound blast straight out in front of the shooter, it was basically loud as hell.

I took one of the Sheriff SWAT team members out the other night and he shot a nice boar hog with his duty issue RRA AR with Hornady SuperPerformance 75 grain, had this video on my I-Pad and showed it to him and mentioned that I did not have the can on that gun at that time. He covers my area of the county at night and was stationed approximately 3 miles west across three section lines and about 18 square miles of land between me and him and said that he would have been able to hear those ten rounds of .308 going off in the middle of the night where he was!

I told him I was fully expecting the Sheriff's office to be waiting for me at the log house when I got back out from collecting those hogs that night due to discharging ten rounds of .308, it carries a long way....did not get to bed until 4AM after clearing all that pork up!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from the range w/ the LWTS, what a blast!  When I got there the only slots open were at 25 yards so I settled in w/ a 22 LR and 5.56 upper.  The 22 upper is very accurate with CCI standard velocity so I decided ahead of time to use this as the setup to judge how much, if any, the boresight was off.  I confirmed my previous zero and then added the clip-on in front of the Weaver Kaspa 2.5-10x50 w/ LaRue 20 MOA mount.  Yes, yes I know it's a cheapo scope, but it works great on my target 22 LR.  It appeared that there is a POI shift of about 1" low at 25 yards.  At first I was a little alarmed since I naturally extrapolated that out to be a ~4" shift at 100 yards.  However, when I moved to 50 yards, the POI shift was exactly the same at 1" low.  I was expecting a 2" offset at 50 yards due to the 1" offset at 25 yards, but thankfully that did not prove to be the case.  At 50 yards, holding my crosshair at the top of the bullseye put every single round into the bullseye.  I was hoping for a perfect boresight but this is pretty dang close and easily accounted for.  I understand this device is not for target shooting, but I had to prove to myself that it would be close.  I ran out of foil thermal targets so I never got to shoot 100 yards, that will come in a couple weeks.  I could've kicked myself for not making enough.  I also got to use it as a stand-alone, and easily got a 25 yard zero on my 5.56.  I will record the reticle coordinates, ammunition type, range, and rail location for later reference.

I prepared some special targets ahead of time by stapling 2" x 2" squares of foil over the bullseye areas of LaRue's 1/2" grid targets, those worked very well.  That being said, I was amazed to discover that the thermal could easily make out my standard black and white ringed bullseye targets due to the different heat absorption properties of plain white paper vs. paper w/ black toner on it (I assume this is why at any rate).  This was less evident at 50 yards but I did not mess with the focus of the thermal at all so I probably could've fine tuned it a little more.

Some more points that may be of interest to others are below
*You can actually see the impact on the paper, a little spot will light up and then slowly fade.  I was blown away by this.  The conditions I was shooting in were 92 degrees (feels like 102), sunny, ~70% humidity, 12-4pm in central FL.  I would imagine it would be even easier to see the impacts at more reasonable temperatures.
*The LED (screen brightness) is widely adjustable on this, making so that I could adjust it way up for use in the super bright conditions I was shooting in.  This was critical today and took me about 5 seconds to adjust without looking at the controls.
*The controls are nearly impossible to use incorrectly.  It really is a very smart design and you NEVER have to actually look at them after you have familiarized yourself w/ them.  
*The unit has a shot counter, which is apparently pretty sensitive.  When I received the unit it read zero.  After almost a month of using it on a daily basis outside and mounting on my gun getting used to it the shot counter read five despite never having fired it until today.
*After I had shot out all my thermal targets I started looking down the line at others shooters' targets to see how they appeared in thermal.  To my great surprise, almost anything with some color contrast appeared perfectly useable as a thermal target (keep in mind this is during a sunny day).

All in all I'm very happy.  I'm going to check at 100 yards to make sure it still falls w/in the 2MOA boresight stated in the manual.  If not I'll contact Insight/L3 to ask them to fix it.  

Pic of thermal targets I'm making for next time

Pic of POI shift

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Good info again. What magnification range were you mostly using with the thermal at the range? Was resolution pretty good?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good info again. What magnification range were you mostly using with the thermal at the range? Was resolution pretty good?
View Quote

Resolution was unholy good.  Again, this thing is like black and white reality (ok not really but you get the point).  For shooting I was at 4x almost the whole time, it seemed to strike a really good balance.  When looking around at others' targets I got up from 6-10x successfully.  Above 5x you can plainly see individual pixels but it is still useable.  I was just trying to see if there was a point that you couldn't go past, but I didn't get there.  There is little point in going to magnifications above 5-6x since you're only magnifying the size of already apparent individual pixels but it was still fun doing it.  I had entirely too much fun w/ this device today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
**ETA:  SPI finally made the video cable thing right with me**

This is a reply I made on another forum, but as it turns out my scope was never updated.  Whether it was due to SPI not sending or not is yet to be truly known.  Prospective buyers on the hive need to know as well.  Don't get me wrong, this device is INCREDIBLE.  Literally everything that could be thought of (IMHO) was put into this device.  IT IS AWESOME.

Mine will be going in soon as well to get the update. It's odd that SPI told me the reason my scope's delivery was delayed by TWO MONTHS was due to them having to return it to L3 for the update. Keep in mind, this was after I was told the product was IN STOCK READY TO SHIP after asking numerous times when I ordered in April. I told them that I would be happy to wait for the latest version. After some communication w/ L3 this week, it appears that the scope was never updated. I had given them (SPI) the benefit of the doubt since I figure the situation (L3 software update) was beyond their control. Now I begin to wonder... Was the unit ever sent in for update? Also, they made an offer in March here on the hide to provide a free video cable to those who purchased an LWTS through them. I ordered in early April mentioning that ad and NO VIDEO CABLE WAS PROVIDED when the unit was finally shipped two months later. After several emails asking them to make good on the offer, they merely edited the post to cancel it. For those interested in the original post, I saved the entire page after they failed to return two consecutive emails after two weeks. It's not impossible that this was one big misunderstanding, but wow

1. It's a high dollar item
2. "In stock item" in early April that ships in late June? Cited delay is software update that required the unit be returned to the manufacturer... turns out no such update was ever applied. (Also, I will now be incurring the cost of shipping a $10k device back to its origin for something that was already supposed to have been done by SPI)
3. Offered free video cable (part of the reason I decided to go w/ SPI), then decided this wasn't going to happen w/o notifying pre-paid customers. Subsequently offered this wonderful piece for $400. LMFAO, really?

SPI, if this was a big misunderstanding I'd love to hear your side, heaven knows you didn't respond to the last three emails sent in June/July. For the love of God, when voting w/ that amount of money I would like a little bit more follow through than what you have shown.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#16]
That is a bummer, too bad L3 does not treat civilian consumers to better service like FLIR Government Service does. At least you got your scope and it works good for you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#17]
That really sucks. I am sorry (and disappointed) to hear this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is a bummer, too bad L3 does not trat civilian consumers to better service like FLIR Government Service does. At least you got your scope and it works good for you.
View Quote

I don't see how this has anything to do with L3? It's too bad SPI doesn't treat their customers better is what should be said...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't see how this has anything to do with L3? It's too bad SPI doesn't treat their customers better is what should be said...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is a bummer, too bad L3 does not trat civilian consumers to better service like FLIR Government Service does. At least you got your scope and it works good for you.

Unfortunatley, the bottom line is that L3 really does not care about the civilian market, they have bigger fish to fry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunatley, the bottom line is that L3 really does not care about the civilian market, they have bigger fish to fry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is entirely irrelevant here. He said he loved his LWTS but was disappointed with how SPI handled his purchase and for telling him it had the new software. That is a vendor issue not a manufacturer issue.

Your constant attacks on any company other than FLIR and passive aggressive behavior towards anyone criticizing FLIR products has left me questioning your judgement and questioning how accurate your 'reviews' are. I appreciate people inputting to this forum and giving their unbiased opinion, I try to do the same! Hopefully those with access to lots of different equipment can continue to share how all compare without the snide comments and unabashed self promotion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
So far L3 has been excellent regarding questions and pretty much anything.  I emailed late last night about wanting to send in my LWTS for the update and had an R MA an hour ago.  My beef is not with L3, as far as I am concerned they have produced an unbelievably spectacular thermal device and have communicated quickly and courteously.   The scope "sees" the warmth of a bullet impact on an already warm paper target in 95 degree Florida heat with 90%+ humidity...  I couldn't be happier with the unit itself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far L3 has been excellent regarding questions and pretty much anything.  I emailed late last night about wanting to send in my LWTS for the update and had an R MA an hour ago.  My beef is not with L3, as far as I am concerned they have produced an unbelievably spectacular thermal device and have communicated quickly and courteously.   The scope "sees" the warmth of a bullet impact on an already warm paper target in 95 degree Florida heat with 90%+ humidity...  I couldn't be happier with the unit itself.
View Quote

That is good to hear for a change!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is entirely irrelevant here. He said he loved his LWTS but was disappointed with how SPI handled his purchase and for telling him it had the new software. That is a vendor issue not a manufacturer issue.

Your constant attacks on any company other than FLIR and passive aggressive behavior towards anyone criticizing FLIR products has left me questioning your judgement and questioning how accurate your 'reviews' are. I appreciate people inputting to this forum and giving their unbiased opinion, I try to do the same! Hopefully those with access to lots of different equipment can continue to share how all compare without the snide comments and unabashed self promotion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You certainly are welcome to you snide opinions!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Software update or not, I would gladly put my scope up against ANY competitor at any time mil - spec,  commercial, or otherwise.  It is a magnificent piece of hardware, my pictures don't lie and it's actually even better than it looks there.  It's like black and white reality baby
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Software update or not, I would gladly put my scope up against ANY competitor at any time mil - spec,  commercial, or otherwise.  It is a magnificent piece of hardware, my pictures don't lie and it's actually even better than it looks there.  It's like black and white reality baby
View Quote

Now go out and kill something with it and please post pics!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get four weeks of vacation each year and have gotten to use exactly 3 days of it so far this year...  work is ceaseless.  It will be banked at the end of the year but that does me little good if I NEVER get to use it  We're heading up to our place in Indiana next month for a week and the LWTS is going with us, so hopefully then.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a plot of land east of I-75 for killing hogs and other vermin, but that would require time to do research, time I currently just don't have.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#27]
You better whack some of those thieving coyotes up in Indiana then and post some pics....no rush on the hogs, they will be around here for a looong time to come...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's more people that agree with you than you may realize. He's already done a good job chasing the ATN guy out of this forum. Now he's ripping on L3. How long until he finds fault in the thermapp? In a way I can't blame him though, it's in his best interest to pimp products for a company in which he has a financial interest as a stockholder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There's more people that agree with you than you may realize. He's already done a good job chasing the ATN guy out of this forum. Now he's ripping on L3. How long until he finds fault in the thermapp? In a way I can't blame him though, it's in his best interest to pimp products for a company in which he has a financial interest as a stockholder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep on pimpin'

Always good for a laugh when you show up here!

Bet you can't even remember how many thousands of shares of L3 you sold me....

But don't worry, LLL has done absolutely great even if you can't remember....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keep on pimpin'

View Quote

This place can be a passive aggressive zoo at times and the bickering is really not that funny… so…trying to word carefully as to not offend as I respect all parties utilizing this level of gear as insight and hands on experience is hard to come by, but I do see the repeating issue so respectfully:

skypup favors flir, rightfully so, and does not view equals, regardless of performance, a good option for him therefor doesn’t recommend them to others. I’m sure this works the other way around for those who ‘pimp’ other products.

But in actuality, there are multiple ways to proverbially skin cats, er, hogs, whatever.  Case in point to show this is across the board and not just with flir, is in this very thread when I stated variable zoom scopes utilizing 1x and up work great with clip-ons such as this LWTS. His response was elcan / acog is superior, no exceptions in a nutshell and I was deemed a “range bangin, internet bragging photo op’er , safe queener, tacti-cooler” or something like that... so I think it's just a psychological mindset and not just fanboy-ism at work, perhaps a combination of both with a dash of vested interest.

People are quirky regarding things they are passionate about, in all aspects of life, myself included. There is no reason to have hard feelings and take opinions for what they are and take it upon yourself to find out what works best for you based on all the collective input.
That said, as an end user I like flir, insight, elcans, acogs and leupolds. They all do a particular job well and one cannot do everything, ymmv
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
And the actual truth is:

"One persons trash is another persons treasure!"

Keep on pimpin....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This place can be a passive aggressive zoo at times and the bickering is really not that funny… so…trying to word carefully as to not offend as I respect all parties utilizing this level of gear as insight and hands on experience is hard to come by, but I do see the repeating issue so respectfully:

skypup favors flir, rightfully so, and does not view equals, regardless of performance, a good option for him therefor doesn’t recommend them to others. I’m sure this works the other way around for those who ‘pimp’ other products.

But in actuality, there are multiple ways to proverbially skin cats, er, hogs, whatever.  Case in point to show this is across the board and not just with flir, is in this very thread when I stated variable zoom scopes utilizing 1x and up work great with clip-ons such as this LWTS. His response was elcan / acog is superior, no exceptions in a nutshell and I was deemed a “range bangin, internet bragging photo op’er , safe queener, tacti-cooler” or something like that... so I think it's just a psychological mindset and not just fanboy-ism at work, perhaps a combination of both with a dash of vested interest.

People are quirky regarding things they are passionate about, in all aspects of life, myself included. There is no reason to have hard feelings and take opinions for what they are and take it upon yourself to find out what works best for you based on all the collective input.
That said, as an end user I like flir, insight, elcans, acogs and leupolds. They all do a particular job well and one cannot do everything, ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep on pimpin'

Well, I'll offer my $0.02 (in a world where pennies are worthless) while we're at it.

SkyPup often seems like a FLIR pimp, and he is, much like many of us here are TNVC pimps. We're loyal to those who are loyal to us. SP has special relationships with people at FLIR and they've always taken good care of him. TNVC loves FLIR, which is a ringing endorsement as well. Naturally, we like to see "our guy" get the props, and SP is both overt and vociferous in his support of all-things-FLIR, and sure -- it gets a little tiresome sometimes, but I know where he's coming from. He has strong brand loyalty to FLIR for good reasons.

So, I have no issues with rabid brand fanaticism. We're all smart enough to make our own choices and I appreciate SP for everything he brings to this forum, and can handle his incessant FLIR fanboy infatuation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You better whack some of those thieving coyotes up in Indiana then and post some pics....no rush on the hogs, they will be around here for a looong time to come...
View Quote

I'm hoping to do exactly that.  While coyotes are of interest to me, the furry little douche bags that tear up our yard up there looking for grubs are priority number one.  In 2006 I had to do it w/ a mag lite, then came NV, now this.  There is no hiding from this, I can see my dag's warm footprints for a couple minutes after he walks across the living room floor.  A creature sitting in our open yard on a mild night will be painfully obvious.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I really need a suppressed .22 long rifle with a FLIR RS-64 on it just to take out the armadudes around my house, on any night in particular I could nail half a dozen of them without trying....

But I try to keep it "sporting"....

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I will have to post pics of this hanging out with my AAC Prodigy, SDN-6, and Outback 2.  Thermal and suppressed subsonic rimfires go together like ham and cheese
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't forget, they make great coyote bait too!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#37]
FYI, per a post on Sniper's Hide, the software update is supposed to further improve image processing and make zeroing the reticles easier.  The image processing was spectacular to begin with, not sure how they are going to improve that but I can't wait to find out.  The reticle was already EASY to zero IMHO as it only took two strings to zero it on my Daniel Defense carbine, so I'm also curious as to what this will be about.  For others who have this scope, if your software version is anything but 1.2.0.0 (look on the STS selection in the menu) you can send it in for the update.  As long as I have it back within the next few weeks I'll be posting pics of some suppressed, belt-fed, thermal, anti-varmint action  I may even run it on my SMG, we'll see.  Has anyone else noticed how useful thermal is for finding spent casings in the grass?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I finally have an LWTS headed my way. I am pretty excited to get it.
Did we ever figure out a good and economic source for video cables that work with the LWTS?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I finally have an LWTS headed my way. I am pretty excited to get it.
Did we ever figure out a good abd economics source for video cables that work with the LWTS?
View Quote

Congratulations!!  Night shooting is about to take on a whole new dimension for you.  Tonight mine will be getting run on my suppressed SBR and maybe my belt fed 22.  They really are just about perfect little sights.  Part of the mission tonight is to figure out whether the heat from the fixed A2 front sight and can will affect the image after/during hard use.  I will be using it in both clip-on and stand-alone mode.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Could you tell any difference post software upgrade?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Could you tell any difference post software upgrade?
View Quote

Not really at least not yet, I've only logged an hour or so behind it since getting it back.  The image was superb before and it still is.  The definition you can get with this device on animals is just incredible especially if you manuallu focus it.  I have made a pencil mark at the lens/housing junction where the focus is great from 50ish yards out to infinite but when there is something that you want max definition on then adjusting the focus really brings out the fine stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Man it sure does suck having to spend one of my vacation days out at the farm zeroing my LWTS on my different night guns  First world problems much?  Pics to follow tonight when I can get to an actual computer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Here are the two I did today, my trusty ten year old 10/22 w/ AAC Prodigy and my more recent PSA 11" SBR w/ AAC 762-SDN6.  Today was A LOT of fun, easy as pie to zero the magnificent LWTS as a stand-alone.  I've got a couple more I may do either tonight or tomorrow.  Also found out today that AAC will upgrade my old Prodigy to the new gen 3 core for FREE

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I love this device.  Tonight in the total darkness, during the POURING down rain, humidity, and 80 degree heat I got to watch a great blue heron for a while doing some fishing and also a family of two adult ducks and five ducklings playing what I can only describe as "tag" on the pond from ~200 yards.  Hopefully someone will soon have a reasonably priced video cable for the LWTS so I can record some of this.  Also, the local great horned owl seems to think he's operating in secrecy...  he's not  I have almost as much fun using this handheld as I do weapon mounted.  Even the wife finds it fun .  Again, kudos to L3/Insight for the controls, it is amazingly simple to use in complete darkness.  Also, the AA batteries seem to last forever, no need to use expensive CR123s that my X300s and X300 ultras eat up like crazy.  There is no wonder in my mind how this thing won the AN/PAS-13G military contract, the unit is absolutely incredible whether I'm using it in the 105+ degree FL summer heat or 45 degree fall weather at our place in IN.  I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#47]
My shares in L3 are going up and up thanks to jcriley!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My shares in L3 are going up and up thanks to jcriley!!
View Quote

Cool. I'm surprised that you'd invest in a company that, how did you put it, doesn't treat civilian consumers to better service as well as FLIR does. Why the change of heart? Does this mean the signal-to-noise ratio for FLIR products will decrease and you'll be spending more time discussing L3 offerings? That would be a refreshing change.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes, it is. The THOR appeared to be the first serious contender to FLIR in the thermal weaponsight field, and it was generally well received by people who either had, or had the opportunity to use one. But once the FLIR fanboys felt threatened by it, the threads ALWAYS regressed into discussing ATN as the company, rather than discussing the sight. It went so far as SkyPup going over to ATN's industry forum and trolling it to the point that his posts had to be removed. So yes, he did chase him out of the forum, and prevented readers in this forum from hearing about something other than FLIR products. Deliberate censorship, regardless of whether it's from the operators of a site, or by it's users, is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why yes, it is. The THOR appeared to be the first serious contender to FLIR in the thermal weaponsight field, and it was generally well received by people who either had, or had the opportunity to use one. But once the FLIR fanboys felt threatened by it, the threads ALWAYS regressed into discussing ATN as the company, rather than discussing the sight. It went so far as SkyPup going over to ATN's industry forum and trolling it to the point that his posts had to be removed. So yes, he did chase him out of the forum, and prevented readers in this forum from hearing about something other than FLIR products. Deliberate censorship, regardless of whether it's from the operators of a site, or by it's users, is not a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting that anyone here would believe that, but jcriley has posted this over 50 times, so obviously he has convinced himself!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top