Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2011 3:08:25 PM EDT
Picked one up today at the gun show for $275! I was gonna hold off but I couldn't resist! I'm going to have so much fun with that bastard as soon as I get a can! Just thought I'd share my enthusiasm!
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencerco Sparrow will be my next 22 supressor- I currently have a YHM Mite, works fine, but is stupid hard to take apart after what seems like a low round count

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Sparrow

Link Posted: 7/23/2011 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Picked one up today at the gun show for $275! I was gonna hold off but I couldn't resist! I'm going to have so much fun with that bastard as soon as I get a can! Just thought I'd share my enthusiasm!

Put a tacsol barrel and a Liberty Essence! i did and teh whole package is 18 oz and pure shooting nirvana.

Link Posted: 7/23/2011 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to buy the Essence, but my dealer had a Kodiak TL in stock, so I went with it instead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was going to buy the Essence, but my dealer had a Kodiak TL in stock, so I went with it instead.

From what I understand the TL is more quiet than the essence so I think you made the right choice.

Also paying an additional $100 to shave 1.8 ounces off an already light suppressor may not be worthwhile.  

I think people get wrapped hard around the specs and forget 1.8 ounces is a little lighter than a A2 flash hider, and 1" isn't long and 4/10" is about the width of the end of your pinky finger.   1/10" shorter is information, but it isn't an important distinction between one product and another.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a SilencerCo Sparrow, the new one in stainless, on mine and love it. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]
For the ultimate in sound suppression on a pistol, currently there really is no other choice than a AAC Element.  You won't find a quieter pistol suppressor.  Every shootout and sound metering ever done has established this as fact.

If you plan to also use the suppressor on rifles, or other things like ease of cleaning, price, looks, etc. come into the equation then the choices like those listed above come into play.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I am putting a 22/45 TB build together (wating on ATF).  Will have a YHM Wraith and a Trijicon RMR06.  As follows:

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
the essence and TL use the same technology and I could tell no difference in sound between the two when shot side by side. However I could feel the difference in weight on certain guns. It wasn't much and the TL certainly wasn't to be considered heavy. The price difference between the two was less than $100 and seeing as how i will keep this silencer for the rest of my life, I wanted to go with the best, lightest thing out there. You can't take these things back and exchange and the market for used silencers is pretty dismal so it made sense to me to spenda little extra and eliminate any chance of buyer's regret. Either the Kodiak TL or Essence would make a great choice, it's up to you whether the essence is worth the extra money.

The sparrow is also one to consider, especially if you're planning on heavy duty usage. It's the easiest to take apart and clean and sounds great. It's only downside is FRP. Also, look into the SWR spectre. I'd stay away from the element unless used exclusively on handguns, too much money for a limited use silencer. It really depends on what you value most....ease of maintenance? Overall sound reduction? Sound reduction on just handgun or rifle? Weight? Price? etc. Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies! Great info.

I was also wondering what non-suppressor changes you would make to a 22/45. IE sights, trigger, mag release, slide release, safety, etc. Grips?

Taking my new baby out to the range today! I love a good .22 pistol!
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate the non drop free mag feature. I will live with it because everything else is to my liking. Trigger brakes cleanly, function and accuracy good and ergos just fine. I will not modify it with one exception. The rear sight notch may get widdened a bit.
I run a Pilot on mine.  I am satasfied with it. The can is quite light and seems perfect for this  pistol application.
Link Posted: 7/24/2011 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hate the non drop free mag feature. I will live with it because everything else is to my liking.

I agree with this.

For the OP,Install a clarke or volqurtsen bushing for about $20 and it will cure the magazine drop issue.

IMO, the trigger is ok, not horrible but could use improvement. Shoot it some and see what you don't like for yourself. Everyone hates the mag release. Go over to rimfirecentral.com for many good ideas.

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For the ultimate in sound suppression on a pistol, currently there really is no other choice than a AAC Element.  You won't find a quieter pistol suppressor.  Every shootout and sound metering ever done has established this as fact.

If you plan to also use the suppressor on rifles, or other things like ease of cleaning, price, looks, etc. come into the equation then the choices like those listed above come into play.

I saw a recent test with ~125DB at the ear, and 116 at the 1m left of the muzzle on the P22 which is the platform it seems to test most impressively on.    

The can absolutely is very quiet 1M left of the muzzle on pistols, and that is excellent performance, but that ~125DB figure was 5DB high of the best in that test- suggesting it just swaps which end is louder by pushing gas pressure out the chamber rather than the muzzle.    Other silencers in that test like the AAC pilot 2  [to keep it brand specific] metered 119.7 @ 1M / 120.4 Ear which suggests the Pilot 2 actually yields better overall suppression by virtue of having the lowest overall sound signature by at least 4DB's.  

The element has a .260" bore- a little tighter than is generally typical of an AAC product- that may be why the test displayed that kind of backpressure and at the ear noise.  For the $600 price, I'd say that makes the Pilot 2 look like the better deal and the more quiet of the two.

Obviously when shooting with a silencer it would be nice to accomplish 2 things:
Lower overall sound signature
Certainly lower noise for you (the purchaser and shooter of the product)
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies! Great info.

I was also wondering what non-suppressor changes you would make to a 22/45. IE sights, trigger, mag release, slide release, safety, etc. Grips?

Taking my new baby out to the range today! I love a good .22 pistol!

I bought the AAC element for my 22/45TB

Also did the following:
Houghe rubber grips
Burriss fast fire II
Volquartsen trigger and sear

Will do slingshot mod, mag safety delete, and LCI filler eventually.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I will be getting a Gemtech Alpine (dealer has it in stock, reviews have not been bad) in the next few months.

I put Hogue panel grips on my 22/45 and did the slingshot mod, removed the mag safety with a volquartsen MkII bushing and installed a volquartsen trigger/hammer/sear kit. The trigger pull is butter smooth and the break is crisp. I noticed a big difference in trigger quality once I had the volquartsen kit installed. My only complaint is that the volquartsen kit drops the trigger pull weight down to "hair trigger" sensitivity. I like it myself but my friends who have shot my 22/45 think it's too sensitive and "twitchy".
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Element
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
So the AAC element looks crazy expensive compared to the Pilot or Gemtech Outback 2. Is it worth almost twice the price?
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, at JoshAR, that is a nice looking, slick setup!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So the AAC element looks crazy expensive compared to the Pilot or Gemtech Outback 2. Is it worth almost twice the price?

Take at look at MM's 22 can arts chautauqua: Silencer Forum Link

That testing is on a P22 and not a 22/45, but the results are comparable to each other. Many of the cans meter very close to each other, but "very close" can sound very different depending on the ear.

My personal decision was based on four things: does the can come apart for cleaning? Can it be used on a pistol and a rifle? Does the can meter at least "in the middle of the pack or higher"? Does my dealer have it in stock? The can that met those critera for me was the Alpine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I went outback II because I don't clean my centerfire suppressors so why start with a .22lr. When it fills up I will just send it back and have it cleaned out. Worth the rebuild cost to me compaired to cleaning it and deleading it after every time I shoot. I shoot alot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That testing is on a P22 and not a 22/45, but the results are comparable to each other. Many of the cans meter very close to each other, but "very close" can sound very different depending on the ear.

My personal decision was based on four things: does the can come apart for cleaning? Can it be used on a pistol and a rifle? Does the can meter at least "in the middle of the pack or higher"? Does my dealer have it in stock? The can that met those critera for me was the Alpine.

Gemtech can retrofit an Outback II cheaply to disassemble, once you fill one up. I would assume the newest version already comes with this feature.

OK, I just checked, they are now called Outback IID. Upgrade is $150 OTD with return shipping included.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/OUTBACK-IID-13p19.htm

I have had mine for several years, and it has not filled up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have heard both the OB2 and the Element.  My first can was a OB2 and I have an Element waiting on a tax stamp. I also have several other .22 suppressors.

Is the Element worth the extra +/-$250?  On a rifle, not in my opinion.  On a pistol, I think it is.  It all comes down to what you want the can for now as well as what you want to use it for in the future.  On a rifle, most all top cans are so close it it hard to distinguish sound difference unless they are side by side.  On a rifle, other factors like size/weight, materials, maintenance, looks, etc. all come into play more than the absolute lowest dB level.  IMO, on a pistol the difference between a good can and an average can is more apparent.  if I only could have 1 can and I wanted to use it on everything I own, it wouldn't be an Element.  If my sole use would be on a P22, Buckmark, Ruger, etc, I would spend the extra cash and get a Element.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a YHM Mite and while it is fine as a first can I wish I had ordered in something better (dealer had this one in stock).

That being said, it is still a ton of fun!

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gemtech can retrofit an Outback II cheaply to disassemble, once you fill one up. I would assume the newest version already comes with this feature.

OK, I just checked, they are now called Outback IID. Upgrade is $150 OTD with return shipping included.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/OUTBACK-IID-13p19.htm

I have had mine for several years, and it has not filled up.

My desire for a take apart can was based almost entirely on shooting my friend's TAC 65. After a thousand rounds the guts of his TAC looked like a coal quarry. That set off my OCD alarm. I'm a bit of a neat freak and the inability to clean all that lead gunk out of the can would eat at me after a while. I don't mind not being able to take apart a centerfire rifle can, but with how dirty 22LR is I'd rather have the ability to clean it myself rather than have to send it out.

And the price of the Alpine at the time I bought mine was about the same as cheaper than an Outback II plus the cost of the return upgrade. Plus my dealer didn't have any Outbacks in stock at the time.

Edit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
SilencerCo Sparrow, FTW!

As soon as I get back from Iraq, I'm going to order me the SS model. You can't go wrong with this suppressor.

Nathan
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Silencerco Sparrow.

I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like my alpine. Picked it up for $295 locally. It is my first rimfire can so I have nothing to compare it to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
SWR Warlocks...

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Sparrow

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Silencerco Sparrow will be my next 22 supressor- I currently have a YHM Mite, works fine, but is stupid hard to take apart after what seems like a low round count

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Sparrow

This!!!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would the new Outback IID meet your criteria?

That is what I ended up going with.  I was leaning toward the Sparrow, but the weight difference between the IID and the Sparrow pushed me to the former because it balances better on my pistol.  I think i will get the Sparrow eventually for use on my rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Would the new Outback IID meet your criteria?

That is what I ended up going with.  I was leaning toward the Sparrow, but the weight difference between the IID and the Sparrow pushed me to the former because it balances better on my pistol.  I think i will get the Sparrow eventually for use on my rifle.

If my dealer had had an Outback IID on hand I would have seriously considered it. He had a regular Outback II and the Alpine when I made my decision, and when compared side to side the Alpine was the definite winner in my mind. But a IID vs an Alpine would probably come down to price for me. If the IID was a hundred bucks cheaper I'd have gone with it but if I could get the Alpine within a few bucks of the IID I'd have still gone Alpine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Depends on your requirements.  For me, yes.  Max suppression and min weight.

If I had 8+ acres of land to fart around on, no. Id just get a sparrow or outback IID.

While not illegal to safely shoot on my land, it is a significant hassle if the cops do show up. Also it certainly helps to keep neighbors in the dark on that aspect of my life.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#36]
New guy on the block.

Huntertown Arms Guardian. 200 bucks.

Compared to the Gentech Outback and a few others, its the best value for the buck. Look em up.

Quite and user friendly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine has a TAC65, works just fine on all my 22's. I would like the Sparrow so I can use it on my 17 as well.

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a tacsol cascade mc. It fits the bill.  Not the best, but not the worst- and the price was right.  The titanium finish is a little different, I kind of like it.  That said i may eventually order an outback ii (my dealer seems to have these in stock regularly now that I have the cascade ). Once it fills up it can be sent in for conversion to the ii-d.

That said, I shot my supressor funding for a while on a YHM phantom this afternoon.  Hope to have it by Halloween.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a YHM Mite and while it is fine as a first can I wish I had ordered in something better (dealer had this one in stock).

That being said, it is still a ton of fun!

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/MkIII2245can2.jpg

What don't you like about the Mite?  My friendly local NFA dealer has a Mite in stock, and I was thinking about getting it (along with a threaded barrel 22/45) as my first supressor.  With three kids I can't be spending huge amounts of money or toys, and the Mite is reasonably priced.  I eventually want to get a 9mm can also, likey for a 9mm AR, but I want to start out with a .22 supressor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#40]
M4-02

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I have both a Sparrow and Element, both are great cans.  My old Pilot sucks on a 22/45 but is great on a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Agree 100%! I see people coming in to my job to look at one thing or another that they've spent hours researching online. Once in their hand, they sometimes feel like the info they read MUST have been false. What's most frustrating to them is when the item that was supposed to be 1.5oz lighter feels heavier in their hand.

Another thing worth mentioning is that performance isn't derived out of thin air.  The products that do a hair better than the rest of the market often get there with baffle designs promoting maximum turbulence, AND a tighter bore.  So the customer may get a product more likely to have a baffle strike, more likely to promote impact shift and accuracy loss, and they often even pay more for it.  Many of the products on the market could perform better with a bore .010-.030" tighter, but that jeopardizes the customers $200 tax for the benefit of stronger specs and sales.   Maxim invented the first commercially viable silencer and company literature states their bore clearance was 1/16".  According to that- a .22lr bore would be .3125" - I can't verify that as I don't have one to measure, but I find the statement on company literature interesting.   Todays competitive .22lr silencer has a .25-.26" bore.  The rest of the market staggers to as large as .285".     Bores are tightening with time- the bullet obviously remains the same diameter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just took my new SS Sparrow home today:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/526/img3861copy.jpg

I am waiting on paperwork for a SS sparrow as well. I have to say yours sure looks good! Looks like the color on yours is darker than some of the other pics I've seen of the sparrows and I like that darker finish better. Hope mine is finished like yours when my paperwork comes thru.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#45]
They are fun little guns, especially once you get the can on there!  Here is my rig, Streamlight TLR 3, Burris Fastfire II, and AAC Prodigy.

ETA: What the hell?  I rotate them on photobucket, then they stay flipped around...oh well you get the idea  
ETA #2:  Hey!  It fixed itself!
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They are fun little guns, especially once you get the can on there!  Here is my rig, Streamlight TLR 3, Burris Fastfire II, and AAC Prodigy.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/DrewColt/IMG_0499.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/DrewColt/IMG_0502.jpg

ETA: What the hell?  I rotate them on photobucket, then they stay flipped around...oh well you get the idea  

That is one sexy set up nice work!  I was cheap and went with the iron sights now I wish I hadn't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Finally got this today.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Wow, some really nice 22/45s in this thread.  I have one and am trying to find someone to thread the bull barrel.  I know I can get a new Tactical Solutions upper for it, but I was hoping I could thread my barrel for less $$.  Can anyone suggest someone to thread it and move the front sight back?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 4:40:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow, some really nice 22/45s in this thread.  I have one and am trying to find someone to thread the bull barrel.  I know I can get a new Tactical Solutions upper for it, but I was hoping I could thread my barrel for less $$.  Can anyone suggest someone to thread it and move the front sight back?  Thanks.

ask around your HTF for good gunsmiths.

It is an easy job, but also one that is easy to screw up.  So reputation is key.  Don't go for the cheapest guy, get the best.

Local smiths do that job for about $125+/-.  Some include the thread protector.   Best smiths use the removed bit of barrel as the thread protector and it is undetectable until you unscrew it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's another vote for the Sparrow.  I brought mine home last Monday (along with the Osprey).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top