Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 10:00:13 PM EDT
I have a Spike's Glock 9mm lower and need to tune the ejector to a BRN-9 upper.  Broke one trying to bend it upward to get close to the top of the channel.  

I didn't heat it the first try - if I heat the replacement ejector will I be able to raise it?  

Are there other ejectors out there that aren't hardened that I can bend?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAN14] [#1]
I don't have one of your brand of PCC but do have a few others. I have found lots of
good info. for making PCC's run good at this site. He is on here occasionally and might
give you a more direct answer.

https://blowback9.wordpress.com/

One of his latest articles dealt with adjusting the ejector on a FM-9 which may help
you fix yours.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
Originally Posted By criley:
I have a Spike's Glock 9mm lower and need to tune the ejector to a BRN-9 upper.  Broke one trying to bend it upward to get close to the top of the channel.  

I didn't heat it the first try - if I heat the replacement ejector will I be able to raise it?  

Are there other ejectors out there that aren't hardened that I can bend?
View Quote

So all you want is something that is soft enough to bend and yet hard enough to withstand the constant beating of a steel/brass case at 1000FPS?

LMK?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SAN14:
I don't have one of your brand of PCC but do have a few others. I have found lots of
good info. for making PCC's run good at this site. He is on here occasionally and might
give you a more direct answer.

https://blowback9.wordpress.com/

One of his latest articles dealt with adjusting the ejector on a FM-9 which may help
you fix yours.
View Quote

Thanks.

I saw where he heated his - guess I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Did you read completely through the article? Method #2 might be a viable option for you
depending on how the ejector is mounted. I looked at Spikes site but can't tell just how
they mount it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, read all the article.  Spike's ejector doesn't lend itself to option 2.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]

So all you want is something that is soft enough to bend and yet hard enough to withstand the constant beating of a steel/brass case at 1000FPS?
View Quote

Hyperbole?  It's more like 18ft/sec and the case is only a few grams. The ejector has to pivot one side of the case around the extractor, not absorb all the inertia.  A strong but bendable steel ejector will be fine.  My old spikes ejector wasn't hardened, or not hardened much, and it bent right into place.  Still looks new. The newer ones seem to be hardened more than before and snap.

OP - I wrote that article.  I heated the FM9 ejector until it just started to glow and gave it a little bend.  2 times and it was exactly where it needed to be.  Still looks perfect.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Droppoint:

Hyperbole?  It's more like 18ft/sec and the case is only a few grams. The ejector has to pivot one side of the case around the extractor, not absorb all the inertia.  A strong but bendable steel ejector will be fine.  My old spikes ejector wasn't hardened, or not hardened much, and it bent right into place.  Still looks new. The newer ones seem to be hardened more than before and snap.

OP - I wrote that article.  I heated the FM9 ejector until it just started to glow and gave it a little bend.  2 times and it was exactly where it needed to be.  Still looks perfect.
View Quote

Just saying that the ejector is likely going to be too hard to simply bend, other than slight adjustments to get it nearer the bolt face.  Perhaps a bit dramatic, but this is arfcom
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps a bit dramatic, but this is arfcom
View Quote

LOL!  True that!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Droppoint:

View Quote

Super to hear direct from the source.  Thanks!

I take it that you heated it then bent it... let it cool and tested it... then heated it again and bent it and it fit.

Did you attempt to re-harden it when you had it adjusted?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Super to hear direct from the source.  Thanks!

I take it that you heated it then bent it... let it cool and tested it... then heated it again and bent it and it fit.

Did you attempt to re-harden it when you had it adjusted?
View Quote

Correct.  Remove, heat, bend slightly, cool, install, check. Repeat until perfect fit. I used a MAPP gas torch, but propane would work.  I didn't try to re-harden it.  I don't have harness test files, so I wouldn't have been able to check it if I did.

Other than the surface blemish where heat was applied, it looks and works fine.  No signs of bending, stress, or fatigue (so far).
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!  Will tackle that soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!  Will tackle that soon.
View Quote

Best of luck, let us know how it goes?!?  Someone else might find this of use
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I was able to heat it and bend it. Raised it to within just a hair of the top of the channel, it was already in line horizontally.  Ejection improved, but still problematic.  I may need to file the tip since lifting it changed the angle a bit.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I heated up again and raised it a little more, and then filed the tip.

Ran almost 200 rds through with zero problems and thought I had it licked.  Then I put one more mag in wanting to go past the 200 rd mark.  Had one shell get caught between the bolt and ejection port.  Then I ran a couple more mags with no problems.

So, one failure to eject out of 230 or so rounds.

Tremendous improvement but I want 100%.  Maybe it was a fluke.  Will keep running it to see how it goes.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The language of this thread can't help but remind me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXHW0DJEEU
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top