Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2023 11:48:44 AM EDT
Greetings.  I am putting together a 10.3", suppressed 5.56 under a LPVO for general use including home defense and possibly later use on leo patrol in an rural area.  I am looking for suggestions on a light that can reach out to 100 yds. but still not be stupid clearing a building/house.  It would be nice to keep it < $300 but I could go a bit higher if the utility was there.

I am also looking pretty much for plug and play, not so much swapping components.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:51:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#1]
Streamlight ProTac HL-X Pro
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire M340DFT-PRO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Goonbeam Long V1. It's a hopped up Streamlight HLX. Make people's eyeballs your bitch at 150 yards.

https://www.goonbeam.com/Long-V1-Max-Candela_p_13.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
Streamlight ProTac HL-X PRO
View Quote

FIFY (Pro has 1k lumens, 50k Candela):
Amazon Product
  • 1000 lumens, 50,000 candela with a beam of 447 meters and runs 1.25 hours with CR123A batteries or 1.75 hours with SL-B26 USB battery

Or, the new Olight PL Turbo:

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrafterDan] [#5]
Being able to ID a target out to 100 yards, and not bloom your eyes indoors is a tall task. I got lucky and ran into a Surefire M600 at a pawn shop. I don't think it's the dual-fuel model, but it did great at 100 yards as part of a night training course.
*Edit, I looked it up, it's the Scout Light Pro.

I like the Streamlight HLX, but it's too big for a 10.5" build. Heck, I think it's too big for a 16" tube, but that's a different story.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLRHHHDS

www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9QMDJMR
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep, the Pro. Thanks for the fix
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DrafterDan:
Being able to ID a target out to 100 yards, and not bloom your eyes indoors is a tall task. I got lucky and ran into a Surefire M600 at a pawn shop. I don't think it's the dual-fuel model, but it did great at 100 yards as part of a night training course.

I like the Streamlight HLX, but it's too big for a 10.5" build. Heck, I think it's too big for a 16" tube, but that's a different story.
View Quote

I have used the HLX Pro on both issued department SBRs when a LEO and now have them on personal guns. I never really ran into a problem with them for size or being too bright. Obviously mileage varies

OP should try and check out the various lights recommend on some uppers to find the one that fits him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]

I don't find the HLX too big for a 10.5. I probably would if trying to use the tail cap for activation. Agree on the HLX Pro, amazing throw difference. Only thing I have with significantly more throw is a Modlite OKW.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Olight Javelot Tac.  It has super high candela and a fair amount of flood.  The hotspot is tight and uniform and could be used for close range aiming. It has both high and low mode right on the pressure pad so you don't blow your retinas out.

It will be on sale for roughly $112 in a few days.

https://www.olightstore.com/javelot-tac-wml-rail-mount-light
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:15:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#10]
I run full size/18650 body lights on everything regardless of barrel length because micro/18350 battery life is pretty short.

The Arisaka/Malkoff lights are really nice and hold their peak output for longer than others, but they lack the candela punch of the Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0 or Surefire Turbo models

You can get a Surefire M640DFT from Midwest Optics for $299 shipped when using code LUMENS. I just ordered one from them last night. It comes with an MLOK and picatinny mount, and also a clicky tailcap. So you don't NEED anything else out of the box.

Or you can get a Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0 with Legacy body from them for $220 shipped, but will still need a mount and tailcap. Unfortunately they are out of standard REIN 3.0's that come with the proprietary tailcap and pressure switch.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Since we mentioned Olight.  I have an Odin Mini on my 10.5.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks gentlemen, I am checking out all the recommendations.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with the surefire M340DFT on my 11.5. I've compared it to my cloud reign at 100 yards, and while it's not as good, it's still close enough to justify the considerably more compact size. The big lights just seem too big on a short hand guard for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#14]
Really, almost anything fulfills your requirements. Pretty much any modern Surefire, Streamlight, or Modlite on an offset mount. 100 yards is easy. Just pick anything over 20k candela/lux.

If you run tailcap activation. The only light you don't  want is the Surefire Turbo due to head size if you run a can with a suppressor cover with any bulk. As for tailcap activation. They are all in same place for ALL lights no matter the size or brand or battery type. You just want a 9" or longer rail.

With a $300 budget the only way price might be an issue is with the addition of tape switches and dual switch tail caps and such but you say you want "plug and play" so a light and mount is all you need.

As an LE firearms instructor I am not understanding the "not be stupid clearing a house" comment/requirement. There is no such thing IMO. Perhaps the super high candela Malkoff/Arisaka lights have little spill, but the bounced main beam makes room clearing a house no sweat. The people who don't like high output lights are either just waking up and light sensitive or using their weaponlights incorrectly due to a lack of training. In an LE environment, there are no too bright weaponlights currently on the market IMO. I use a Modlite OKW with 18350 body and an Arisaka MLOK offset mount on my personal duty rifle, which is a suppressed SBR with an LPVO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 4:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iGottaDropADuce] [#15]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#16]
I run a Surefire x300 @ 12 o'clock in front of a DD fixed front sight on my 10.5
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#17]
hard to go wrong with Streamlight Protac rail mount.  I have 3.  

started out pricing Surefire, went with Streamlight on cost.  also have a tlr-1 hp and two of the Polytac handhelds.  no issues so far.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Surefire M340DFT-PRO.
View Quote

This. The Turbo head and Pro mount are an awesome combo. No more fiddling with various bolt on mounts to get the right fit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Non-operator here running X300U & X400U variants.

Keith
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: keeperofthedew] [#20]

View All Quotes

Streamlight has updated the HL-X (non-pro) to also be 1k lumens and 50k candela.

So afaik the only real difference in current production models is the tailcap, so if you're not using a tape switch idk if there's a reason to go pro vs standard.

That being said, the REIN 3.0 is my current preference for a rifle light.

ETA: dual fuel is super nice. Being able to use the light as much as you want (training, familiarization, etc) and then swap in fresh 18650 for actual use. And being able to swap in CR123As in a pinch.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

Streamlight has updated the HL-X (non-pro) to also be 1k lumens and 50k candela.

So afaik the only real difference in current production models is the tailcap, so if you're not using a tape switch idk if there's a reason to go pro vs standard.

ETA: dual fuel is super nice. Being able to use the light as much as you want (training, familiarization, etc) and then swap in fresh 18650 for actual use. And being able to swap in CR123As in a pinch.

View Quote

If you go this route, check the side of the package for Candela output as there's no other way to differentiate between the old version and the new (and there's lots of 'old' stock still being sold, ask me how I know ).
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#22]

If you go this route, check the side of the package for Candela output as there's no other way to differentiate between the old version and the new (and there's lots of 'old' stock still being sold, ask me how I know ).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

Ayup. Many retailers are ‘blowing’ out the old version in a package deal for $99…. While the new version can be had for less than $120 as a whole package.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up a 2k lumen version of 5he Streamlight. Curios to see how it is when it gets here compared to the older versions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#24]
2000 lumen streamlight is insane. The new usb-c batteries are very cool. I need to pick up a second battery so I can charge one while using one. It does have a charging port also on the light for charging while installed.

It is much more of a wide then tight beam (only 17,000 candela)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Surefire, Cloud Defensive or Modlite are the big 3. Any of them will fit your needs and can be had in your budget range.

They all offer several switching options and mounting options.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Surefire 640 turbo.

I have it on my 11.5 work gun and everything else that needs a light.

They’re very good lights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#27]
Some good recommendations in here

Here's mine

Surefire M340 Pro Turbo (For your setup, I would use the 123A)
  • Dual Fuel goodness w/ 2 output options
  • 650 lumens / 95,000 candela w/ SF18350 - Mega throw outdoors, good to 5-600 hundred yards. Blinding indoors
  • 350 lumens / 55,000 candela 123A lithium - More comparable to the Arisaka/Malkoff with more throw, which is a plus
  • 45 minutes w/ SF18350 - 1 hour w/ 123A lithium
  • Most expensive option

Modlite PLHv2 18350
  • 1350 lumens / 54,000 candela - Mega spill and a few hundred yards outdoors
  • Run Time is only 35 minutes with an 18350
  • Expensive (Diminishing returns for runtime)

Arisaka/Malkoff 300 Series E1HTv2
  • 400 lumen / 18,000 candela - Good to about 100 yards and great spill indoors
  • Run time is 45-60 minutes on a single 123A
  • You can get the Light head, body, clicky cap and mount for around $235

Arisaka / Malkoff 300 Series E2XTL
  • 500 lumens / 55,000 candela - Good out to a few hundred yards and great indoors
  • Run time is 45 minutes with 18350 battery
  • You can get the Light head, body, clicky cap and mount for around $265

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MagnusActual:

Here's mine

• 650 lumens / 95,000 candela w/ SF18350 - Mega throw outdoors, good to 5-600 hundred yards. Blinding indoors
  • 350 lumens / 55,000 candela 123A lithium - More comparable to the Arisaka/Malkoff with more throw, which is a plus
  • Most expensive option

Modlite PLHv2 18350

• 500 lumens / 55,000 candela - Good out to a few hundred yards and great indoors

View Quote

"Mini" scouts have been creeping up in size over the years...
"Mini/Micro" Weapon Lights?

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGJg4LBMwk
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
Originally Posted By MagnusActual:

Here's mine

• Most expensive option

Modlite PLHv2 18350

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGJg4LBMwk

Two cells should be the standard anyway.  They're not much bigger and provide better capabilities
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 3:55:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#30]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Surefire M340DFT-PRO.
View Quote

This would be my recommendation. The HL-X is a good light if it's what you can afford or is what you're required to use because it's issued, but the Mini Scout Turbo is fantastic. The swivel mount allows you to mount it anyway you want. The beam is just right for a patrol rifle light in my opinion. Just enough spill to illuminate a room and it has the ability to punch past headlights and window tint.

I have a 340 mounted on my HD rifle. It's definitely not too bright unless you shine it at a mirror, but pretty much any modern light will have that effect. I also have a 640 sitting in my safe right now because the 340 does everything the same in a smaller package with the compromise being battery life.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
For the OP -

Oh man is this a deep well....

I don't generally comment on much here unless I've had a lot of experience with something, and WML's falls in that category. I've probably owned all of the dozen most commonly mentioned light heads you'll hear talked about here, if not the complete lights, as I got into mixing and matching fairly early on ... before Surefire got smart and cleaned up + expanded their mounting & battery options.

So - 10.3 barrel + LPVO, for targets beyond 100yds, needs illumination. Well, some others here might comment on the somewhat mixed mission profile of your setup, but not I. I run an LPVO on a 10.3" Seems more and more people are. However, people who say they're using an SBR + LPVO + absurdly bright & tightly focused WMLs to clear apartments and houses in the course of their LE duties... well, I just don't know what to say about that.

You're gonna hear a lot of recommendations for the SF Scouts, the SL HLX, and even Olight stuff. These reccos, like most reccos you get on internet forums, can sometimes come from people who don't have a lot of basis for comparison. A last-gen SF M600 might seem like greatest WML ever for someone who had only ever owned an O-Light and Sightmark before. The good news is, even with that being the case, these options will do just fine for most people. The quality & performance of some of the more affordable stuff just keeps getting better. However, lots of people feel it's worthwhile to invest in something that's extremely tough, or reaching the limits of performance. Some people just wanna have wthat the "military" has. But getting back to your case..... getting proper illumination sufficient for rapid target identification and sight-picture acquisition through an optic with a restrictive eye-box (LPVO or Prism scope, as compared to an enclosed red dot or holo-sight) is sort of where the boys meet the men in the WML world. Again, as with so many other things, once you get to this specialized level, you'll find there are an even greater number of even more sophisticated options. I can't tell you how much it warms my old heart to see someone here mention the MALKOFF stuff.

If you're not really going to be putting your unit to hard use or out in adverse conditions, honestly, the SL HLX will probably do just fine for you. It's a VERY bright light with a relatively focused beam, which is what you want if you're using an LPVO with a not-huge field of view at that range. However, if you wanna spend some dollars and get something that'll REALLY knock your socks off, and may ultimately be more rugged, you'll find the field quickly narrows down to three choices:

- Modlite OKW head
- Modlite PLHv2 head
- Cloud REIN head

Each of these is STUPENDOUSLY bright at 100m, and each varies slightly in characteristics like color temperature, spill, etc. For the vast majority of folks, the difference between these three is splitting hairs, and something I'll leave to better men than myself. In most cases, you're gonna wanna invest in just the HEAD, and then find a light body and switching situation that suits your platform. 10.3" SBRs present little real estate for mounting, especially if you're also mounting anything else, so you may wanna consider top-tier "Shorty" stuff.... either the Arisaka 18350 light body (Good), the SureFire MH31 light body (Better) or the Reptilia TORCH 18350 light body (Best). On a rail that short you probably don't need a remote switch, unless you're running a more sophisticated setup with IR aiming lasers and the like.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Goonbeam Long V1. It's a hopped up Streamlight HLX. Make people's eyeballs your bitch at 150 yards.

https://www.goonbeam.com/Long-V1-Max-Candela_p_13.html
View Quote

I have the GoonBeam Long V2 mounted with a Magpul Mlok offset scout mount on my 10.5" 300blk, and a CD Rein 1.0 mounted with an Arisaka offset scout mount on my 11.5" 5.56. I'm happy with and recommend both.

If you have the money, go with the Rein 3.0. If you're on a budget, go with the Goonbeam.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Big fan of the Surefire 640DFT. Not that much heavier than a 340DFT and extends further out when I run my can. Ridiculously bright. Has its own integrated mount.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I use an 11.5 Geissele for work with a X300 Turbo in front of my backup iron sight

Works great for my purposes and no wires to catch.

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top