Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2024 2:35:52 PM EDT
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but almost everywhere(forums,youtube,reddit, FB groups) are giving info that sounds compelling but then I read other things out there on the web and well I dont know what to do at this point. Before I get beat down here lol, yes I know parts compatibility and "mil-spec" is non-existant in the LR308 world. Here is the parts list:

18" SOLGW Rifle barrel
Lantac BCG
A5 tube
Sprinco green rifle spring
h3 3.25'' buffer

BCG is hitting the buffer tube and not sure what the fix will be? Putting 2 quarters down the tube? Filing down the buffer tube? Switching over to a carbine tube with a sprinco orange carbine spring?

I dont want an adjustable gas block as SOLGW preaches not to run one and I run mostly suppressed all the time. I've been told that you need to run a 308 spring in the a5 tube instead of the green sprinco spring so I have a JP large frame rifle buffer spring on order. I have tried running it with my cheap PSA BCG and still getting malfunctions.

I would like to fix this the most economical way at this point. Whats the solution?

TIA!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The carrier key is hitting the front of the buffer tube?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
The carrier key is hitting the front of the buffer tube?  
View Quote

No. Hitting both bottom sides of buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When you push the bolt carrier back manually does it bottom out?
I am wondering if you need an A5 buffer instead.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
When you push the bolt carrier back manually does it bottom out?
I am wondering if you need an A5 buffer instead.
View Quote

it does not bottom out. I used the A5 buffer when I initally got the system and found out the hard way that the a5 buffer is too long. Was not getting bolt lockup on last round.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

If you have been using the Green Sprinco ... stop. You do need a 308 specific recoil spring.

FWIW, I use the Tubbs 308 flatwire recoil springs.

As for the Adj. GB... all my LFAR's use them, various barrel lengths, brand barrels and various calibers. None suppressed... but most various brand 308 / 6.5CM barrels are over gassed.

Another FWIW, those are all SLR

Putting a few ( as needed ) quarters in the bottom of the A5 tube would work... however , leave about 3/16" travel between the bolt catch and the bolt face when the BCG is completely bottomed out in the buffer tube.
( Don't bother if you are going to use that Green spring... )

I am curious, if your BCG has been bashing the lowers buffer tubes threads.

Also, what brand buffer ?  There are some cheap / crap ones out there, with soft buffer pads.
View Quote

It has barely started to touch the threads and I'm afraid at removing the buffer for fear of causing more damage to the lower receiver.

I am running the Aero H3 buffer. Understood on the green spring. I have a JP large frame rifle spring on order. Hopefully that'll do..
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Proper spring would help but could also can introduce ejection issues.

The AGB would be my recommendation regardless. I don't get why the barrel manufacturer cares what kind of GB you use anyway unless they have a particular GB in mind that always works perfect with their barrels no matter what ammo or anything else you are running.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srudawski] [#8]
Listen to Bfoosh.  They helped me with my BCG buffer bashing 308 woes

Sounds like you are running the correct buffer length, you need a stronger recoil spring.  

I ran into buffer tube bashing with a5 length buffer + AR 308 short buffer.  For me a spacer fixed it.  You are running the correct length buffer-a carbine buffer.  An a5 length buffer would only work for a 556 in this instance.  308 needs a little more length to travel

Get a rifle length ar308 spring- sprinco orange or tubb should work
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Use a tubbs 308 flatwire spring.  I think the buffer is correct but the spring is so light that the rubber is compressing to the point the bcg travels an extra 5mm and touches the lower.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:47:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#11]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I am confused by the "I'm afraid at removing the buffer for fear of causing more damage to the lower receiver. " Comment.

Do you mean the buffer its self ? Or the buffer tube ?

The buffer should come out readily.

The buffer tube shouldn't need to be removed at all.

Pics ?
View Quote

I've been confused since the OP.  Would love to see pics as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:21:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#12]
sounds like you're getting too much force on that buffer bumper, compressing it completely like play-dough.  stiffer spring should remedy that, or adj gas block.

FWIW, PSA "AR-10" lower:

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top