Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2024 10:27:42 AM EDT
I love my Eotech EXPS and want to add a magnifier to it. I like it even more than the LVPOs that I have played with.

Was wondering should I get the G43 or G45? Obviously was in 3x and one is 5x.

Which one?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:41:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deadmau5er] [#1]
There's a lot of different opinions on this one.

I never had a G43 but I had a G33 and now a G45. I loved both but prefer the G45.

The G43 has a better field of view and is a little over an ounce lighter than the G45. Eye relief is technically a tenth of an inch better on the G45 but that's totally negligible. The eyebox is certainly a little tight on the G45.

My reasoning for choosing the G45 is that I have the magnifier out of the way 90% of the time and if I need magnification then 5x is way more useful to me than 3x is.

I definitely see why people still stick to the G33 or even go for the G43 but the G45 makes more sense for me.

EoTech with a magnifier is one of the most versatile optic setups on a fighting rifle, hands down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deadmau5er:
There's a lot of different opinions on this one.

I never had a G43 but I had a G33 and now a G45. I loved both but prefer the G45.

The G43 has a better field of view and is a little over an ounce lighter than the G45. Eye relief is technically a tenth of an inch better on the G45 but that's totally negligible. The eyebox is certainly a little tight on the G45.

My reasoning for choosing the G45 is that I have the magnifier out of the way 90% of the time and if I need magnification then 5x is way more useful to me than 3x is.

I definitely see why people still stick to the G33 or even go for the G43 but the G45 makes more sense for me.

EoTech with a magnifier is one of the most versatile optic setups on a fighting rifle, hands down.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. You make a lot of points on how I was thinking. At 5x its like a LVPO thats cranked all the way up.

I also love the fact that it pops off with one lever if I want. Instant weight reduction.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mark9000:

Thanks for sharing. You make a lot of points on how I was thinking. At 5x its like a LVPO thats cranked all the way up.

I also love the fact that it pops off with one lever if I want. Instant weight reduction.
View Quote

Exactly.

If I need magnification, then I prefer to have more of it in this scenario.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a G45 with my 3-4 since it has ballistic drops.  For the standard reticle, I think 3X is sufficient to take you out to 300 yds or so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO it would be the G45.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GunnyFitz:
IMO it would be the G45.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/434956/p_jpeg-3157984.JPG
View Quote

That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I ran 3x magnifiers for years and thought they were great. But then late last year I picked up a G45 and all but one 3x went out the door.

The extra 2x magnification really adds more useful utility.

The house in the far back is 214 yards away.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
G45 user checking in

I do want a LPVO for my 16” build for my wife though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Another happy G45 owner here. It's paired with an EXPS3-2 on a Unity riser and their flip to center qd mount on the magnifier. It's by far my favorite setup. I also have 2 Aimpoint 3x magnifiers, which are also nice, but never quite reached out as far as I would've liked.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a G45 and am a big fan. The eye box is tighter than a G33 but I appreciate the extra 5x mag. I’ve heard that the G43 has eye relief issues because the tube is significantly shorter than the G33 and G45 so you have to mount it further back than you would normally do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys convinced me - bought the whole the enchilada Eotech HHSV - EXPS3-4 and G45.

My rifle that I just finished had no optic and didnt want to move my existing Eotech back and forth because I would need to rezero. You only live once.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys convinced me - bought the whole the enchilada Eotech HHSV - EXPS3-4 and G45.

My rifle that I just finished had no optic and didnt want to move my existing Eotech back and forth because I would need to rezero. You only live once.....
View Quote

My man!Congrats!  Hope whomever you bought from cut you a nice deal. I love opening their boxes!
Let me know if you'd like to entertain the Omni mounts or advice on anything else while setting those up on a rail. G45 as far back as feasible, EXPS as close to G45 as feasible - Pic rails will dictate this.

Eotech served me VERY well in Iraq and has always been so much easier to pick up upon presentation than single dot optics. Hey - thats just my TBI eyes now. Owned every model Eotech/L3 put out since day one. As we speak Im about to set up a killer new upper project with somewhat "unpopular" risers and rails. This shall be my best 22 ever!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with 3x because I'll be using with thermal clip-on and want a little more field of view. Did a quick back to back with G33 and G43 and I find they eyebox a little more forgiving on the G43.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]

My man!Congrats!  Hope whomever you bought from cut you a nice deal. I love opening their boxes!
Let me know if you'd like to entertain the Omni mounts or advice on anything else while setting those up on a rail. G45 as far back as feasible, EXPS as close to G45 as feasible - Pic rails will dictate this.

Eotech served me VERY well in Iraq and has always been so much easier to pick up upon presentation than single dot optics. Hey - thats just my TBI eyes now. Owned every model Eotech/L3 put out since day one. As we speak Im about to set up a killer new upper project with somewhat "unpopular" risers and rails. This shall be my best 22 ever!
View Quote

I paid $1045 with no tax from Battlehawk Armory, retails for $1329. Shipping was $14. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them. The best part is I paid for this by selling off all the excess parts I had laying around.

Appreciate the input on setting it up, this is going on a Colt EPR upper that I bought during the pandemic. Its the one with the Centurion rail. I was going to sell it as I was going to build a recce/Mod H inspired rifle but than was like duh - you already have the upper & a stripped lower.

I agree with you about the Eotech being easier to pick up. If you cant hit the target with an Eotech than you are blind ;) . I am sold on them - there is no tint, its like looking through a window.

Would love to see your project when its done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deadmau5er] [#15]

View Quote

Post pics when you get it! Congrats!!

Let me know if the 3-4 reticle feels cluttered, I'm considering getting another EoTech and running a 3-0 currently.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Let me know if the 3-4 reticle feels cluttered, I'm considering getting another EoTech and running a 3-0 currently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks!

For sure with pics. The Eotech I have now is a 3-0.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I paid $1045 with no tax from Battlehawk Armory, retails for $1329. Shipping was $14. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them. The best part is I paid for this by selling off all the excess parts I had laying around.
Appreciate the input on setting it up, this is going on a Colt EPR upper that I bought during the pandemic. Its the one with the Centurion rail. I was going to sell it as I was going to build a recce/Mod H inspired rifle but than was like duh - you already have the upper & a stripped lower.
I agree with you about the Eotech being easier to pick up. If you cant hit the target with an Eotech than you are blind ;) . I am sold on them - there is no tint, its like looking through a window.
Would love to see your project when its done.
View Quote

Stumbled onto the Cerakote site and they even offer shops in your area that apply their products for them. Reached out and they were super chill saying bring the lower & upper by for a look for matching that upper.

Copper gradients

If it isn't insanely expensive I may even have them do all my mounts and hardware too. Doubt they can put an Eotech in the oven though.

Will post pics once done if interested. This is going to be a dedicated Night Vision rifle with Hyrda Optic/Laser Mount which many claim to be ridiculous. Had it up on another rifle and picking it up under NODs is 110% easier. Not to mention the balance it creates by moving laser centerline. Huge difference!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HunterKiller86] [#18]
Slade has a mount that is superior IMO. Has 'boards' fore and aft to mount both IR and magnifiers, allowing one to mount irons if desired while keeping everything secured on the upper without having to bridge anything with the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#19]
Originally Posted By HunterKiller86:
Slade has a mount that is superior IMO. Has 'boards' fore and aft to mount both IR and magnifiers, allowing one to mount irons if desired while keeping everything secured on the upper without having to bridge anything with the handguard.
View Quote

Can't say I've heard of them amongst the other options out there for such a setup. These "Boards" are the only other one I know of. Guess I'll take a look at the
this and see what I can do. Up for anything that provides that "eyes up" acquisition that is so much easier. I don't use BUIS at all.

Boards

HA! Turns out it's the same thing dude! Show me what tour setup looks like please!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Other option is to run an HRF Skiff off a Unity 2.26 if you don’t want to go higher than that.

GBRS also does a collab with Unity for the magnifier to get it to 2.91 centerline with their Hydra mount so you don’t have to run it off the extra riser. Would probably save a little bit of weight.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Stumbled onto the Cerakote site and they even offer shops in your area that apply their products for them. Reached out and they were super chill saying bring the lower & upper by for a look for matching that upper.

Copper gradients

If it isn't insanely expensive I may even have them do all my mounts and hardware too. Doubt they can put an Eotech in the oven though.

Will post pics once done if interested. This is going to be a dedicated Night Vision rifle with Hyrda Optic/Laser Mount which many claim to be ridiculous. Had it up on another rifle and picking it up under NODs is 110% easier. Not to mention the balance it creates by moving laser centerline. Huge difference!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/434956/20230610_113020_jpg-3160036.JPG
View Quote

Thats an amazing set up! Would love to see more pics as you finish it.

As for the Eotech the metal outer hood comes off with four screws. I have seen guys take it off and spray it quite a bit. You could probably could get that Ceracoated.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/painted_eotech/18-532246/
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Boards

HA! Turns out it's the same thing dude! Show me what tour setup looks like please!
View Quote

They look so similar because Slade used to be the brains at GBRS before a falling out. GBRS then allegedly stole Slades designs to create their Hydra mount.

Slade's mount is engineered better and uses 7075 vs the Hydra with 6061.

Same can be said about the snap on cheek risers sold by both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats an amazing set up! Would love to see more pics as you finish it.
As for the Eotech the metal oter hood comes off with four screws. I have seen guys take it off and spray it quite a bit. You could probably could get that Ceracoated.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/painted_eotech/18-532246/
View Quote

Thanks man. I dropped it off at the shop I found on Cerakotes website just 6 miles away. Looked at a ton of swatches and was nicely surprised to find Burnt Bronze is the closest to this Upper and the lower will take 3 weeks. We'll see!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Absolutely post pictures
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thomasthetrain:
Other option is to run an HRF Skiff off a Unity 2.26 if you don’t want to go higher than that.
View Quote

The SKIFF is only for the FAST Micro mounts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#26]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
The SKIFF is only for the FAST Micro mounts.
View Quote

Specifically Aimpoint. Eotech fans need the other model.
People hate on it all the time but the Hydra make for a much more balanced setup.
My newest URGI build w Eotech & RAID will be one of a kind.
Dropped Geissele Lower off for Burnt Bronze Cerakote yesterday to match their hard to score URGI Upper. Color is WAY off!
Never seen such a gorgeous color that is hard to color match. Pics to follow....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:22:39 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Other model? Attachment like the SKIFF or the entire riser mount? Are you referring to the OMM?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Other model? Attachment like the SKIFF or the entire riser mount? Are you referring to the OMM?
View All Quotes

Jagerwerks offers a riser in their A1 line for Eotech/similar optics.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#29]
IMO it would be the G45.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/434956/p_jpeg-3157984.JPG
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got a G45 in and I also have a G33.  The 45 is nice…clear and crisp with reasonable eye relief.   It’s heavy, but that’s just what you’re getting into with 5x .  Highly recommend!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got my Eotech combo. Love the magnifier with the Eotech Exps3-4. Check out the pic below:

I had bought some parts during the pandemic and it has sat for the last 4 years. Was going to do a Mk12 Mod H influenced build but changed my mind as I already had the upper. It started with a Colt 6920 EPR Centurion upper.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Finally got my Eotech combo. Love the magnifier with the Eotech Exps3-4. Check out the pic below:

https://i.imgur.com/VvruNR3.jpeg

I had bought some parts during the pandemic and it has sat for the last 4 years. Was going to do a Mk12 Mod H influenced build but changed my mind as I already had the upper. It started with a Colt 6920 EPR Centurion upper.
View Quote

That's a sick build man, looks great. How do you like the G45?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

This is my first magnifier and I really like it. G45 behind EXPS3 on my Geissele build.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/VvruNR3.jpeg

Thanks! It came out pretty nice considering it was my first real build.

The first day I had it I was somewhat confused as everything was fuzzy. It was me - I needed to adjust the diopter to my eyes. Now its crystal sharp and I am very impressed with it. Its great glass and matches perfect the Exps.

With the Exps 3-4 you have 4 dots in the reticle for different distances. You could be blind and hit something with it ;) .
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49348/20240226_171325_jpg-3180451.JPG

This is my first magnifier and I really like it. G45 behind EXPS3 on my Geissele build.

View Quote

Your rifle looks awesome!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Your rifle looks awesome!
View Quote

Thanks I'm really liking it
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a G45 to replace my G33. By the year mark, I sold the G45 and kept the G33. The eye relief for me was too short and I didn't think the extra magnification really helped me anymore with the standard EOTech reticle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
I bought a G45 to replace my G33. By the year mark, I sold the G45 and kept the G33. The eye relief for me was too short and I didn't think the extra magnification really helped me anymore with the standard EOTech reticle.
View Quote

G45 eye relief was too short..?  You know the G33 eye relief is a lot shorter than the G45.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
G45 eye relief was too short..?  You know the G33 eye relief is a lot shorter than the G45.
View Quote

Was going to say same thing but figured to each our own. With one of each in my grab bag I always enjoy picking up the G45 more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Was going to say same thing but figured to each our own. With one of each in my grab bag I always enjoy picking up the G45 more.
View Quote

Maybe he meant eye box? Because the G45 definitely has more eye relief.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top