Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2024 3:19:01 PM EDT
If you're talking to a brand new adult shooter, what is the minimum rifle configuration you would tell them to start working toward, i.e. how many rifles, in what calibers, and in what barrel lengths?  And assume the new shooter is also actively working on socking back ammo, mags, and training as funds allow simultaneously.  So after they check that first 16" AR box, what boxes do you recommend people check next?  And and what point do you consider all the bases "covered" per se and then adding additional rifle configurations for "fun" factor?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit 'em with dat Rittenhouse special.

S&W M&P sport
any optic
any sling
any ammo
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:14:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheShootingAnvil] [#3]
The question was, after checking that first AR box, what do configurations do you recommend to someone next?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It's going to totally depend on what they want to do with it.  You can't recommend a specialized config without knowing what it will be used for.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
At a minimum a mid-grade red dot is a must have imo. After that, stock the ammo your guns shoots the best. Then just shoot it. You will discover which way you want to go after you start getting bored with that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say a 20" AR, CHF and CL barrel, is a near must. My old, getting recoil sensitive ass has a 20" PSA A4 clone with a 4x ACOG with an A1 stock on it that I have setup for my M855 stash. I used to want an AR10 for a more property defense role but now I'll just stick with my A4 ish rifle for that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
It's going to totally depend on what they want to do with it.  You can't recommend a specialized config without knowing what it will be used for.
View Quote

^This.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDSledge] [#9]
Originally Posted By TheShootingAnvil:
If you're talking to a brand new adult shooter, what is the minimum rifle configuration you would tell them to start working toward, i.e. how many rifles, in what calibers, and in what barrel lengths?  And assume the new shooter is also actively working on socking back ammo, mags, and training as funds allow simultaneously.  So after they check that first 16" AR box, what boxes do you recommend people check next?  And and what point do you consider all the bases "covered" per se and then adding additional rifle configurations for "fun" factor?
View Quote

They should buy a quality lower if they plan to use it with different uppers.  Swapping the upper takes seconds, no tools.  I've got a registered lower with uppers in .300BLK, 5.56, and 9mm, and a basic M&P 15.  Good option for any build is a suppressor.   If they want to expand their view a bit the FN PS90 5.7x28 sbr'd is a good choice, looks cool and fits in a small case.  Historically significant firearms like Garands, M1A1 Carbines, etc. are always a good bet.  If they want to stick to AR's a good lower and a couple uppers is a good foundation.  All bases were covered for me when I ran out of space in my safe.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
After the basic AR with a red dot and light I would recommend a general purpose rifle.

Something like a DDM4V7, DD SLW, BCM MCMR 14.5 or 16”. With an LVPO or ACOG.

Basically to have 2 setups.

One for close range work and one for medium/long range.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#11]
The trifecta.

20" A1/A2 fixed carry handle
14.5" Block II
11.5" URGI

or

20" A1/A2 fixed carry handle.
14.5" URGI
10.3" MK18
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I would suggest a 12.5-13.7  556 and sbr it.

After that you might consider a 300 blkout in something like an 8" barrel and also go the sbr route.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
FOR ME.....I feel like I can do anything an AR needs to do with something like a Colt 6920, quality LPVO, attached light, and Vickers sling.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#14]
18 or 20 inch A1 upper rifle. Light and Sling. I have both and prefer the 18 inch more.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#15]
As noted above, some sort of CQB and mid/long range setup. 10.5"/11.5" SBR with a dot and a 14.5"/16" GP/recce rifle with glass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#16]
One rifle is sufficient, some of us just have a problem

My basic recommendation is a 16" mid-length 5.56 with a red dot or holographic sight, basic light, and sling. Pic your flavor of pre-assembled upper with either an FSB or free floating handguard.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cspackler33] [#17]
A few years ago I had 2 of my (new to guns) brothers get PSA midlength build kits and gave them lowers.  Showed them how to build them so they understand it better and told them they should buy at least 1k rounds.  One has an lpvo+ buis, the other just buis for now.

Although I don't have any PSA uppers, I believe their reputation warrants at least a "minimum requirement".

With my eyes I began to prefer the lpvo over aimpoint since it offers more versatility for target shooting and hunting.  I subscribe to "get both"(+several backups) though so my hd gets an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
The question was, after checking that first AR box, what do configurations do you recommend to someone next?
View Quote

A second backup rifle.  Get some training classes in or competitions and you won't have to ask as they'll know what they need.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

A second backup rifle.  Get some training classes in or competitions and you won't have to ask as they'll know what they need.
View Quote

That's tough to argue with.  For general purposes, it's just hard to beat a 16" middy AR15 in 5.56mm.  Maybe have one with a red dot and a second with a LPVO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:10:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#20]
View Quote
I would suggest another 14.5/16 inch AR or maybe an SBR/pistol

But I would concentrate on having the first one set up and having support gear first.

How many CCW backups do they have?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:40:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#21]
Not another AR.

A precision bolt gun in a full rifle caliber.

A CCW handgun and a duty/training handgun.

After that, an SBR, suppressor, thermal, and night vision.

Before that? Training, plate carrier, belt, helmet, etc.

Before that? A years worth of food and water.

Three AR lengths is not needed. Sure, I have a bunch of AR15s, but it has nothing to do with practicality.

Mags? A combat load of duty/defensive ammo in mags. An equal number of mags for training so you don't have to download. That might be 2 or 4 or 7 mags for the individual and their gear. A couple of spares. A couple of short mags for bench use. That's all you NEED.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:15:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Turtle556] [#22]
That's a rabbit hole you can get lost in real fast. To someone just starting, if you are looking at a SHTF scenario, I would suggest having two rifles set up identically (the best spare part is another rifle), optics of their choice, a light and a sling. Minimum 1k of ammo and 10 mags. Training, practice, training, practice. After a while they can decide for themselves what they want and where to go with it. It is a very personal thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
A 16” or 14.5” P/W AR in 5.56 with a decent RDS (like a Primary Arms Micro Dot) and a decent WML like the Streamlight ProTac would cover what most anyone would use a rifle for. Then get a decent compact 9mm like a G19 (AIM Surplus seems to have a ton of good LE trade-ins right now), S&W M&P or whatever other flavor of polymer framed, double stack striker fired pistol). Maybe they could get a decent budget bolt action like a Ruger American if they plan on hunting anything that 5.56 would have issues with, but I usually tell them to stock up on ammo, mags and spare parts for their go-to rifle and pistol instead of more guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#25]
You should really build your second if not first rifle!  Then you’ll learn the ins and outs and how to fix shit or adjust shit.  The more you know!  Don’t get caught up in building every damn configuration known to man and end up with 10-15 rifles not having even zeroed your optic or run trouble drills.  Good honest question tho
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:18:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#26]
My first rifle was a Bushmaster E2S Modular carbine. It had the YHM flip up sights and the quad rail. I recall it came with the military 2-point sling but it wasn't the long one but the short one. I bought the EOTech512 to go with it. I had a lot of fun with that set up and it worked.

The thing I recall Blackwater used it at their training bases. Over the years, I would always make my rifle like it was then. This time I learned that the thing I wanted was a 14.5 p&w with a KAC rail and not the really thick rail that came with it. I still use the same UBR1.0 stock that I had with it then and would always carry that over to my newer rifles. My first major upgrade at the time was the Geissele enhanced trigger the flat one and buying the ubr stock.

So I think first rifles are important because it'll set the basis of all your future rifles. I would just go with something that "looks cool" instead of what is "best." It's far more important that it looks good, and you think it looks good because then you can actually use it.

Here are the rules:

1) Your friend can't search or go to online forums for at least 1 year or 3,000 rounds. Coming on forums will cause the following things to happen: a) your fiend will think you bought him a piece of junk because someone said so online, b) your friend will start buying various parts because he heard it was "mil spec" or something, c) and finally it'll cause you to waste more money rather than focusing on your own stuff and what you may like.

2) Buy a good rifle, leave it as is until you complete 3,000 rounds at least. Your friend may buy a sight if he wishes but cannot change it until he shoots at least 3k rounds out of it.

3) Once you get to 3,000 good rounds, your friend may proceed with determining what he actually likes or not about it and adjust or not adjust.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
My first rifle was a Bushmaster E2S Modular carbine. It had the YHM flip up sights and the quad rail. I recall it came with the military 2-point sling but it wasn't the long one but the short one. I bought the EOTech512 to go with it. I had a lot of fun with that set up and it worked.

The thing I recall Blackwater used it at their training bases. Over the years, I would always make my rifle like it was then. This time I learned that the thing I wanted was a 14.5 p&w with a KAC rail and not the really thick rail that came with it. I still use the same UBR1.0 stock that I had with it then and would always carry that over to my newer rifles. My first major upgrade at the time was the Geissele enhanced trigger the flat one and buying the ubr stock.

So I think first rifles are important because it'll set the basis of all your future rifles. I would just go with something that "looks cool" instead of what is "best." It's far more important that it looks good, and you think it looks good because then you can actually use it.

Here are the rules:

1) Your friend can't search or go to online forums for at least 1 year or 3,000 rounds. Coming on forums will cause the following things to happen: a) your fiend will think you bought him a piece of junk because someone said so online, b) your friend will start buying various parts because he heard it was "mil spec" or something, c) and finally it'll cause you to waste more money rather than focusing on your own stuff and what you may like.

2) Buy a good rifle, leave it as is until you complete 3,000 rounds at least. Your friend may buy a sight if he wishes but cannot change it until he shoots at least 3k rounds out of it.

3) Once you get to 3,000 good rounds, your friend may proceed with determining what he actually likes or not about it and adjust or not adjust.
View Quote

That’s actually really good advice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 11:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#28]
This rifle is 20+yrs old. It started off as a plain Stag M4, about the same configuration as the PSA M4 in the first post.
Less than a year after I bought it, I installed the Samson HGs, then the B5 SOPMOD stock and Hogue grip. I also replaced the trigger assy with RRA 2 stage about 10yrs ago. The rifle is still rocking the OG receivers and 1/7 barrel (that finally needs replaced).
I've been using the EoTech 512 and ARMS #40 BUIS for over 15yrs. I shoot a lot of steel cased through this mule, so I've gone through maybe 4(?) BCGs. I think the bolt carrier channel in the upper is clapped out too but it's just a truck gun so nothing will get replaced lol.
I may spray another coat of paint on it as it's looking pretty gross.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Let’s assume shooter starts off with a Colt 6920 police trade in. picked one up a couple months ago from Aim for $629.

Next I would add an SSA-E trigger, Aimpoint and Magpul sling.

Need a minimum of 20 magazines

Lots of quality ammo.  

No matter whose gun I am shooting, a nice trigger makes a lot of difference.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top