Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2024 7:35:04 PM EDT
Just got a "on sale" Vortex 1x Spitfire prism scope. Like the real simple reticle and the red/green lighting.

Don't know a thing about magnifiers but is there one (if its possible) that would screw into the internally threaded Objective end of this optic? OR... are magnifiers a separate unit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Copter:
Just got a "on sale" Vortex 1x Spitfire prism scope. Like the real simple reticle and the red/green lighting.

Don't know a thing about magnifiers but is there one (if its possible) that would screw into the internally threaded Objective end of this optic? OR... are magnifiers a separate unit?

Thanks
View Quote

IIRC, Vortex specified that magnifiers will not work with their prism scopes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea why?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the PA 1x SLX prism and use a Holosun 3x magnifier with it.  Both have a diopter

I set the diopter of the 1x prism 1st, and then the magnifier.  I like this setup a lot.  It's on my house gun.

It's unconventional, but for this setup, I prefer the magnifier in front of the optic vs the normal behind the optic.  Allows for a much greater eyebox, easier to actuate and doesn't magnify the reticle.  Getting the distance between the magnifier and prism optimal is the challenge.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rauchman:
I have the PA 1x SLX prism and use a Holosun 3x magnifier with it.  Both have a diopter

I set the diopter of the 1x prism 1st, and then the magnifier.  I like this setup a lot.  It's on my house gun.

It's unconventional, but for this setup, I prefer the magnifier in front of the optic vs the normal behind the optic.  Allows for a much greater eyebox, easier to actuate and doesn't magnify the reticle.  Getting the distance between the magnifier and prism optimal is the challenge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rauchman:

I have seen several that have used a magnifier with the PA prism.

From Vortex website:

Prism Scopes are not compatible with the VMX-3T Magnifier.

Now, they do specify the VMX-3T so there may be a chance others may work.  Or, not!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Copter:

Thanks
View Quote

All magnifiers are a separate unit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I have seen several that have used a magnifier with the PA prism.

From Vortex website:

Now, they do specify the VMX-3T so there may be a chance others may work.  Or, not!
View Quote

I wonder if it’s the issue of parallax meshing with an etched reticle which is only 2” away?

Or is it just an eye relief issue?  My experience is that Vortex prisms are quite picky in terms of eye relief. The two I have on AR’s are set almost all the way back on the pic rail. I don’t think either would allow room for a magnifier behind them.

The idea of a front seated magnifier is sorta interesting, however. Any recommendations for a generous eye relief magnifier?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top