Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2024 3:20:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734]
I'm building a 13.9" AR10 and planned on using an FCD A5 buffer tube. I have a couple questions though.

- which buffer and spring should i use? I know the system is compatible with both AR15 and AR10.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
EA1095, H3
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Im curious what length gas system you’ll be running?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe an AR10 with an A5 system it’s just a standard AR15 buffer not rifle length.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the VLTOR A5 buffer tube with a Springco "Green" spring and a Carbine H3 buffer. My barrel is 16 inches with a mid-length gas system and I also use an adjustable gas block. I've had very good results running this setup both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
View Quote

I'm using a Faxon 13.9 midlength barrel with adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I run Slash's Heavy Buffers in my AR-10's.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By xxbrotherhood77:
I believe an AR10 with an A5 system it’s just a standard AR15 buffer not rifle length.
View Quote

The a5 system is an intermediate length. Longer than carbine, shorter than rifle. It uses a rifle length spring.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:44:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#9]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

I’d go with the recommendation above your comment. carbine h3, sprinco green.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I pinged FCD, as I am picking up their A5 tube.  Their response was that the most used combo for this was an Sprinco orange spring with CMMG H2 buffer.

I was under the assumption this required a rifle length spring? I believe the orange is a carbine spring.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
On my 16in mid length 308 build, used an A5 tube, Slashes 308 rifle spring,  H2 buffer and non adjustable GB.  Combo runs fantastic.  On a 13.9, maybe step up to an H3 buffer.  It will depend on your gas port size.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on slash heavy buffer. Get your spring at the same time. He knows his products well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I run Slash's Heavy Buffers in my AR-10's.
View Quote

This^^^

I have a 12.5” and a 13.7” and with a can they both cycled way too fast

I was getting stovepipes and these weird brass over bolt failures until I switched to Slash’s buffers
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Armalite / Vltor tube, H3 buffer and a Tubbs flat wire spring= Nirvana…..
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

Sprinco ORANGE is a 308 carbine spring.
View Quote

Yes, but I was reading the A5 needs a rifle length spring. Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

The VLTOR A5 does use a rifle length spring and the buffer length is the same as a standard AR-15 buffer. The VLTOR A5 buffers are too long for the AR-10 platform and the shorter AR-10 buffers are too short for the A5. Are you running an adjustable gas block on your barrel?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jmh556:

The VLTOR A5 does use a rifle length spring and the buffer length is the same as a standard AR-15 buffer. The VLTOR A5 buffers are too long for the AR-10 platform and the shorter AR-10 buffers are too short for the A5. Are you running an adjustable gas block on your barrel?
View Quote

I am, i'm probably going to use a slash buffer of some kind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

On a .308 you do not need a rifle length spring if your getting the sprinco orange because it’s sized for a .308 length BCG and to be used with a traditional AR15 buffer.

It can get confusing but because of the larger BCG when you go up to A5 it just allows you to use something like the sprinco orange and a traditional buffer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
View Quote

That is the exact way two of mine are setup, Armalite tubes H3 AR15 carbine buffer and Tubbs flat wire spring and they are a joy to shoot but I also have a VG6 Gamma and a VG6 Epsilon brakes on them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 13maddog:

That is the exact way two of mine are setup, Armalite tubes H3 AR15 carbine buffer and Tubbs flat wire spring and they are a joy to shoot but I also have a VG6 Gamma and a VG6 Epsilon brakes on them.
View Quote

Mine also has adjustable gas blocks and cans so they hardly recoil....
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:29:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#23]
I’m running an A5 with an Odin Works 9mm heavy adjustable buffer in the heaviest configuration… (7.4 oz) and a JP .308 rifle spring. Rifle is a home-brew PA-10 .308 16” mid length BA barrel.

I made a few of my own buffers but needed more mass to tune for supressor. The Odin works buffer gave me flexibility at half the cost of Slash’s buffer. The JP spring works really well, smoother than the EA spring, IMO. I can’t recall my exact settings, but this configuration gives me the widest operating margin between weak-hot loads and suppressed vs unsuppressed of all the buffer/spring configurations I could come up with.

Generally, the trend was the more mass the wider the operating envelope. My particular barrel was significantly over-gassed… with standard components, could not shoot suppressed without repeated feeding failures (mainly brass bouncing back into receiver). A double ejector bolt probably would have helped, but the gun is MUCH smoother with the buffer and adjustable gas block.

ETA: corrected buffer specs. FWIW, Odin Works AR15 Heavy and 9mm buffer bodies are dimensionally the same. The 9mm buffer includes more tungsten weights.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I use a Tubbs flat wire
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#25]
+3x10^9

Email slash or just buy his buffer kit that contains all the weights so you can figure out what works best for your platform (since gas port sizes vary so much):

https://heavybuffers.com/vltor.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#26]
The rifle buffer spring is used for A5 on AR15s, which use the longer A5 buffer. The problem with the AR10 is that it uses the AR15 length buffer, which may not be long enough to compress without bottoming out the rifle length spring. So you will get short strokes because the rifle spring will become fully compressed and stop BCG motion rear ward before it has move back far enough to eject the case and strip/load another round.

The solution is a shorter but more powerful spring that will allow the AR15 buffer in an AR10 the proper full stroke length.  There are a number of 3rd party springs that will work, but the Armalite EA1095 works perfectly and is only like $8 compared to Springco or Tubs etc $50+ springs.  This means I can stockpile 6 Armalite buffer springs (a wear item) for the price of one Springco etc and spend the savings on better optics, mags, etc.

The one place you may need to spend is the Buffer itself.  I have an intermediate gas length 14.5" with an H3 and still need to turn the gas on my adjustable gas block pretty low.  Likewise my rifle gas length 16".  AR10s are gassy.  If you are running a midlength with standard gas block you may even want a custom H4 equivalent, like from Slash or someone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:54:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#27]

View Quote
With 5.56 guns the A5's use rifle springs. With 308's you put an AR15 carbine length buffer and a 308 rifle spring in them.

Sprinco Orange is pretty heavy, but will probably work fine.

ETA: 308 rifle spring is correct. Orange spring is heavy enough it will work in either 308 rifle or 308 carbines.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Using an SOLGW Loyal 9 tube, Geissele super42 rifle length spring, and an Odin (heavy) configurable AR-15 carbine buffer that I set up aaround 6.5 OZ (If I remember correctly). Barrel is a mid gas 16" Criterion.

A little tip; to get a standard AR-15 carbine buffer up to fighting weight for a .308, find one with a steel body to start with. I originally built with a Kaw Valley Precision .308 carbine kit. The .308 carbine buffers are too short to get enough weight in them and a standard AR-15 carbine buffer with an aluminum body can only get so heavy as well.  It shoots sooo much sweeter with the new kit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#29]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
View Quote
This here -- exception OP, are you going to use a suppressor?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
This here -- exception OP, are you going to use a suppressor?
View Quote

I am, sandman series with SLR adjustable block
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#31]
Promising info here.  I actually came to ask the same, as I want to turn my full fixed sock buffer system on my 6.5 Aero M5 with +2 gas and adjustable block into an A5 collapsible buffer system to better run a 16” 308 upper on.

So will the A5 with an H2 buffer and tubbs 308 flat spring work on both applications if each upper has adjustable gas?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is what I’m running on my 18” 7.62 AR-10 and  20” 6.5 Creedmoor gas guns, both running adjustable gas suppressed. Essentially the same recipe with other manufacturers parts.

https://lmtdefense.com/product/308-extension-tube/

https://www.primaryweapons.com/enhanced-steel-body-buffer-carbine-h4-6-8-oz/

https://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-springs/bufferspring-sr-ar10

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By GreenSuiter:
Here is what I’m running on my 18” 7.62 AR-10 and  20” 6.5 Creedmoor gas guns, both running adjustable gas suppressed. Essentially the same recipe with other manufacturers parts.

https://lmtdefense.com/product/308-extension-tube/

https://www.primaryweapons.com/enhanced-steel-body-buffer-carbine-h4-6-8-oz/

https://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-springs/bufferspring-sr-ar10

View Quote

Sweet.  Thanks.  Glad it works with the Tubbs flat spring.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#34]
So I just got it together, went with the springco orange and H2.  Hopefully I can get it out tomorrow to test run.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, so I got to test fire this and it worked great unsuppressed.

Suppressed I could not get it to cycle.  It has an SLR sentry 7 adjustable block and starting at position 0 (fully open) it would not fully eject cases, but the next round looked beat up as if there was way too much gas.

I closed it 10 positions and got the same result.

I ended up going with the springco orange and H2 like FCD suggested.

Any thoughts?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
13.9 is a great length to start when configured for suppressor (balance isn't too far forward and overall length is manageable) -- but mid-length gas is going to be a pain in the ass to balance for your pressure curve.

A 7.62 / 308 case already holds twice the powder of your average 5.56 round.  With a mid-length gas port and suppressor you're tapping pressure early and higher than you would using a rifle-length gas tube (with powder still burning before the bullet un-corks from your suppressor).

Think of it this way -- with a 13.9" barrel and a 6.8-inch Sandman you have the equivalent of a 20-inch rifle tapping mid-length gas.  An XH carrier can help, but you're going to have to monkey with adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

I think you tuned it backwards...

View Quote

In hindsight I think so too. My only point of reference was the instructions for this and my AK adjustable piston, where you open all the way to ensure function, then work your way closed until failure and back off two.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top