Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2024 6:33:35 AM EDT
I was recently told I've got cataracts, both eyes and need new lenses.
For those that have had the surgery 'am looking for recommendations for
shooting rifle and handgun. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
My Dad recently had his done...once healed up he has no issues
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Do it! Had both of my eyes "fixed" about 8 years ago when I was in my early 60's. Greatest thing sliced bread. Before hand I wore coke bottle bottom glasses (since I was 9-10 yo). Definitely "helped" me be more comfortable shooting, especially with open sights......

BUT!!!!! I still need "readers" (1.25ish) AND..... I need them to shoot handguns with open sights and those glasses need to be "setup" with the correct diopter (.75ish).

If/when you get yours "fixed"  make ABSOLUTELY certain about the "power" you need with the new lenses. What I  mean is when you take a pre surgery eye exam (to determain your lenses "power") be ABSOLUTELY certain that your "comfortable" while testing. NO SQUINTING, etc  or trying to see the eye chart. BECAUSE that test will determain your "forever eyes".

And DONT GO CHEAP!!!!  Get the BEST. Don't get Bi-bifocals. Just straight "fixed" power lenses.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I had cataract surgery three years ago at age 65.   I had worn glasses since I was 15.  My eye are shaped like footballs and not basketballs and I always had very good vision up close but needed glasses for distance.   After cataract surgery my distance eye sight is 20/20 but I have a stigmatism.   Wearing corrective lenses clears up seeing tiny objects at distance and I wear bifocals for reading.   I need glasses to read or do close up work.   I didn’t want to carry reading gasses and with my new glasses my vision is as good as when I was ten years old.  Since I was used to wearing glasses this has worked out really well for me.

I like having eye protection as I shoot a lot and don’t like typical safety glasses.   My only issue is I have floaters I see in my left eye.   My Doctor say the floaters are in my right eye but I don’t notice them.   So far the floaters are just a nuisance but not bad enough I want to try for a corrective procedure.    The floaters just appeared one day about nine months ago and noticed them one afternoon.   Kind of sucks but just another part of getting old.

My vision was bad enough I was having trouble seeing to drive at night.   I wanted to see well while I was young enough to be able to shoot.   I figured I’d rather have better eye sight now and deal with reduced vision later in life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Copter:
Do it! Had both of my eyes "fixed" about 8 years ago when I was in my early 60's. Greatest thing sliced bread. Before hand I wore coke bottle bottom glasses (since I was 9-10 yo). Definitely "helped" me be more comfortable shooting, especially with open sights......

BUT!!!!! I still need "readers" (1.25ish) AND..... I need them to shoot handguns with open sights and those glasses need to be "setup" with the correct diopter (.75ish).

If/when you get yours "fixed"  make ABSOLUTELY certain about the "power" you need with the new lenses. What I  mean is when you take a pre surgery eye exam (to determain your lenses "power") be ABSOLUTELY certain that your "comfortable" while testing. NO SQUINTING, etc  or trying to see the eye chart. BECAUSE that test will determain your "forever eyes".

And DONT GO CHEAP!!!!  Get the BEST. Don't get Bi-bifocals. Just straight "fixed" power lenses.

Good luck!
View Quote

That is exactly what I've been told as well from the FIL.

I had eye surgery about a year ago for a macular hole, which was rare at my age (under 50).  Doctor told me that it will mostly likely cause a cataract.  Went for a check-up last week and I'm he said I'm just barely starting to show slight signs of cloudiness.   When I have the surgery (probably in a few years), I will spring for the absolute best lenses I can get.   FIL said it makes a world of difference.  

BTW, macular holes suck.  Good thing for the internet (and good insurance) because I thought I was going crazy at first.   Out of one eye, I would look at a small object (like a stop sign down the road, or a spot on the wall, or a RED DOT) and it would just disappear.  I knew it was there, but it was just go away.  Eventually, I would see crooked/disjointed lines on something I knew was straight.   I thought my brain was fried at first.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top