Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2024 4:25:23 PM EDT
Thinking about getting one for a DMR rifle setup for DMR competitions with shots out to 600 yards. Any reason not to go with this over other 2-10 scopes? I really like the Christmas tree reticle and zero stop as well as the useable reticle at 2.5x. Just want to hear about what downsides you guys can think of.

The only other scope I'm really interested in is the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 2-10x32. I like the Vortex Viper line up and my 3-15 is amazing, but I really don't like how the 2-10 doesn't have a Christmas tree reticle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen that supersetca video on it?

Apparently, The MPVO Is Cool Again
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
Seen that supersetca video on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dOPK5kUexo
View Quote

I watched it and I liked what I saw, just wanted to hear more opinions on the optic. Youtube reviews are helpful, but it's only 1 person's view on a topic. I have lots of time to decide on getting one though since they're backordered right now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#3]
Brass Facts on YouTube has a single review and in a different vid compares it with a few others as “under $1000 SPR scopes”.  Dark Lord of Optics is probably one of the better reviewers for rifle scopes but I didn’t check to see if he has looked at this model.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Primary Arms reticles confuse me. For a higher magnification scope, I wouldn't think you'd want that circle and chevron since from that video, they're huge at 10X. Since those are typically used for fast action up-close, you'd likely want something more crosshair based.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Primary Arms reticles confuse me. For a higher magnification scope, I wouldn't think you'd want that circle and chevron since from that video, they're huge at 10X. Since those are typically used for fast action up-close, you'd likely want something more crosshair based.
View Quote

I agree. They are married to that damn chevron, and it makes a poor choice for a precision optic.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revel1] [#6]
Yeah I want this scope not for precision stuff. Mostly for fast target shooting for DMR competitions which occasionally have shots out to 600. Most of the shots are going to be at 200-400 range which is fine with my LPVO, but shooting targets gets hard at the 600 yard range.
If I want to do precision stuff I’ll just use my Vortex Viper 3-15.
The chevron reticle does suck for precision stuff though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
Downsides?

If you are competing with it and dialing alot, it is going to fail sooner than stuff from NF, ZCO, etc.  The same goes for the PST.

I compete in PRS and field matches, and also prefer Christmas tree reticles, my favorite being the Mil-XT for bolt guns and gassers.
View Quote

Which NF optic would you recommend for a 600 yard and in gasser?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Downsides?

If you are competing with it and dialing alot, it is going to fail sooner than stuff from NF, ZCO, etc.  The same goes for the PST.

I compete in PRS and field matches, and also prefer Christmas tree reticles, my favorite being the Mil-XT for bolt guns and gassers.
View Quote

PA Supposedly has steel on steel for their turrets in their GLX optics. I wonder if they would hold up just as well?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know, but if you compete long enough, you'll see many $1k scopes fail and lockup.

I've had it happen to me with two different brands when I was starting out.  Competitors aren't spending multiple thousands of dollars on a scope because our wives think they're sexy.

Everybody makes decent to good glass in today's market, the extra money goes into the internals.
View Quote

If the likely failure point for these scopes will be in the turrets, it seems to me that any initial testing that you do through shooting a box test or tracking test won’t do you any good. You’d basically have to physically turn the turrets many, many (hundreds, thousands?) of times and they’ll eventually seize up. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been researching various 2/2.5-10x options and have narrowed it down to the PST2 and Mark 4HD. The Leupold is ~$60 more and weighs 5oz less. I may get one of each and return the one I don’t like.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The Trijicon tenmile 3-18x44 FFP can be had for less than 1k from OP with a code.

Field eval
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Luny421:
I’ve been researching various 2/2.5-10x options and have narrowed it down to the PST2 and Mark 4HD. The Leupold is ~$60 more and weighs 5oz less. I may get one of each and return the one I don’t like.
View Quote

It’s likely neither of those scopes will be reliable under hard use, just based on who manufactures them.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Yessir.

Failure through use. For the casual shooter, probably not a big deal, but competitions beat their optics like rented mules.
View Quote

I’m genuinely surprised that this would happen considering it’s steel on steel. That would take a lot of back and forth to wear that out, I’d imagine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

It’s likely neither of those scopes will be reliable under hard use, just based on who manufactures them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Go on….
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Revel1:
Yeah I want this scope not for precision stuff. Mostly for fast target shooting for DMR competitions which occasionally have shots out to 600. Most of the shots are going to be at 200-400 range which is fine with my LPVO, but shooting targets gets hard at the 600 yard range.
If I want to do precision stuff I’ll just use my Vortex Viper 3-15.
The chevron reticle does suck for precision stuff though.
View Quote

I use this scope for run n gun competitions where shots out to 600 are pretty standard.  This scope absolutely kicks ass for faster shooting but it does fall short when on a flat range trying to do precision work.  If most of your shots will be 2-400, the reticle will be fine especially if you keep it at 6-8x.  Some times it can be a little annoying in those 150 - 300 yard shots where the drop falls in the weird area below the chevron but it has never been an actual issue for me.  Highly recommend this scope thought.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:41:21 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

More companies need to get on the DFP wagon.

I absolutely love the Burris CQ-Mil reticle. The horseshoe and dot are SFP, the mil stadia are FFP. Best of both worlds.

So of course Burris dropped the reticle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Advetised Field of view on the low end is smaller than most other 2.5x with 40mmish scopes. The back of the envelope calculation that DLO (or Ilya) taught me:

Max mag ÷ (low fov ÷ hi fov) = likely starts to tunnel mag
10x÷(35.8ft÷10ft)=2.79x

Tells me why the low mag fov seems low, because there is some tunneling on the low end.

I think you should look at your accuracy and PID requirement and then evaluate if you really need parallax adjustment or not. If you don't need it consider the Credo 2-10x36mm.

The Surprisingly Capable Optic | Trijicon Credo 2-10x36

Full disclaimer, I went with the NF NXS 2.5-10x42mm for durability. I kinda (20%ish) regret not going with the Credo.

Now I'm saving for a March FX 1.5-15x42mm DFP
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Revel1:
Thinking about getting one for a DMR rifle setup for DMR competitions with shots out to 600 yards. Any reason not to go with this over other 2-10 scopes? I really like the Christmas tree reticle and zero stop as well as the useable reticle at 2.5x. Just want to hear about what downsides you guys can think of.

The only other scope I'm really interested in is the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 2-10x32. I like the Vortex Viper line up and my 3-15 is amazing, but I really don't like how the 2-10 doesn't have a Christmas tree reticle.
View Quote

I have one, I really like it. The biggest gripe I have is the big outer ring/half circle of the reticle takes up alot of space when zoomed in. Which they'd just done away with it. I don't feel like that part of the reticle is at home on this kind of optic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]
If you can pick one up used for around $500 I think it's the best buy for the money for a mpvo scope. I have a couple glx 2.5-10 and I like them for what they are.  The reticle is very usable at low power.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have this scope. The donut and chevron is my least favorite part of it, but it is still a nice optic for what it is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one on a lightweight 16" rifle I used for run and gun matches, as I shoot a couple matches with targets out to 600.  I like it.  Pretty good glass for the money, BDC reticle is plenty accurate (for my purposes) and it's lightweight.  I don't like the chevron, but PA seems to be married to it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

I agree. They are married to that damn chevron, and it makes a poor choice for a precision optic.
View Quote

I agree and that is why I haven’t bought one. Chevron has a place on low power optics but a scope with turrets for dialing is not it… if they did a simple crosshair with illum just in the center it would be a nice choice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:

I agree and that is why I haven’t bought one. Chevron has a place on low power optics but a scope with turrets for dialing is not it… if they did a simple crosshair with illum just in the center it would be a nice choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

It’s not a new concept. The Russians have been using chevrons in reticles for 60+ years. The tip of the chevron is an infinitely smaller/more precise aiming point than a crosshair or dot. That seems to make it more appropriate for dialing than holding over. I get that some people don’t like them and that’s fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PistoleroJesse] [#28]

It’s not a new concept. The Russians have been using chevrons in reticles for 60+ years. The tip of the chevron is an infinitely smaller/more precise aiming point than a crosshair or dot. That seems to make it more appropriate for dialing than holding over. I get that some people don’t like them and that’s fine.
View Quote

I disagree. I think the chevron for zero hold and closer with hold overs for distance w/o dialing lend well to the chevron. It was the over emphasis of the horseshoe I didn't like. I think the ACSS® AURORA® MIL RETICLE (on their new SLx 5x micro prisim) with a capped windage(weight reduction) would fit this scope better.

But really the tunneling and weight were the compromises I didn't want to make to try this scope.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]

The tip of the chevron is an infinitely smaller/more precise aiming point than a crosshair or dot. That seems to make it more appropriate for dialing than holding over.
View Quote

It's surprising to hear that a chevron is more precise than a dot or crosshair.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]

It's surprising to hear that a chevron is more precise than a dot or crosshair.
View Quote
If someone feels like playing with Strelok, look at different chevron/delta and crosshair reticles and impose them in SFP and FFP, low and high magnification, on a smaller and larger target.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#31]
i don't understand why PA puts uncapped turrets on combat-oriented scopes with a million wind holds. the whole point of ACSS is that you don't dial.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Shackleford_R:
i don't understand why PA puts uncapped turrets on combat-oriented scopes with a million wind holds. the whole point of ACSS is that you don't dial.
View Quote
They're locking. May as well complain about having 15 Mil hashes since service cartridges run out of oomph by 10 Mils.

For a big yeet, it could be nice to bring the target further up in the FOV by clicking. Windage could be capped as only M193-esque ammo would use more than 6 Mils on a blustery day.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top