Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2023 12:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner76]
Thinking of getting a PLHv2 to try. Was going to to with a Rein 3.0 but wanted something a little smaller diameter. Reviews on the Modlite look good but just looking for some real world info. Light will be going on a HD/SHTF rifle with a RDS.

ETA. Thought about Surefire but the two 600 series Pro lights I have (DF and 123 model)just don't have the distance I want and the DF models have issues.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a phlv2 handheld and it’s a great light. I’ve got a Cloud Rein micro and it’s a great light. I’ve got a df surefire on my shtf rifle and it’s a great light. Not sure what problems you’re referring to. Also, the turbo surefires are very impressive. I won’t use anything but those 3 manufacturers and arisaka.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
I have a phlv2 handheld and it’s a great light. I’ve got a Cloud Rein micro and it’s a great light. I’ve got a df surefire on my shtf rifle and it’s a great light. Not sure what problems you’re referring to. Also, the turbo surefires are very impressive. I won’t use anything but those 3 manufacturers and arisaka.
View Quote

The DF Surefires have the flickering issues that don't seem to be resolved. The one I have will dim or flicker from time to time but it's on a rarely used rifle so it haven't done anything about it yet.

I was dead set on the cloud rein as I had two OWLs that were bombproof and the two MCHs I have are just as good but the CD lights are just a little bulkier than I want. Plus I just want a clicky tail cap and no remote switch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If you still have your Surefire lights, just buy the Modlite heads. I really like the Legacy head because I always carry extra CR123 batteries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:19:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tejas1836] [#4]
I replaced all of my WMLs with the PLHV2 with a couple of OKW heads to switch out if needed, (7 or 8 in all) and use the PLHV2 handheld. I have been using them since the first release.  
I cannot be more pleased, I highly recommend.
@gunner76
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#5]
In my video here I do a little demo towards the end with the PLHV2, in case you’re interested. I also have a YouTube short where I can almost make out a tree line at 900yds on a misty morning with it! I was pretty impressed, no experience with the Cloud or new Turbos though.

Luminous Legos: Weapon Lights 101
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive never had a rein 3.0 but ive had a 2.0.  Untill recently the biggest draw back for me was their switch.  I simply dont care for it plus im pretty invested intobthe surefire ecosystem.   They now have a solution but for an additional cost.  Now im sure the cloud lights are durable but they just felt cheap compared to the modlite.  I run only modlite now and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve gone over to the  PLVHV2 for all my long guns including my work rifle that previously has an SF DF and an OKW DF. It’s the best balance of throw and spill at the moment, I’m very satisfied with its performance both in and outdoors. We got some Reign 3.0 from our Sector guys and I’ve been handing them out, great light but big and coming from many years as a SF user thief switchology is…sucky.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Great lights. The owner is a complete nut job though so if you have problems make sure to perform verbal fellatio during customer service requests. He will black list you and publicly flog you if you say something that sets him off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Great lights. The owner is a complete nut job though so if you have problems make sure to perform verbal fellatio during customer service requests. He will black list you and publicly flog you if you say something that sets him off.
View Quote

This is my thoughts. Lights are solid but I’ll never buy anything just because of the owner.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold my PLHv2 when I got my first Scout Turbo. The PLHv2 is a really good light, but the Turbo is better. More throw for outdoor use, yet has enough spill to work well indoors. The Scout Pro mount is fantastic as well. No need to by an aftermarket mount.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#11]
View Quote

Pretty much this, but in his defense, when he first started out, he was chill, fun to talk to, personable, and always enjoyed conversing with customers. I think he is just one of those people who doesn't have the ability to deal with the public at large, and the thing is, his product was a huge hit so it's his cash cow, he's finally "made it", but he absolutely hates people, he's discovered, but he's also kindof in the game now, so he's stuck. He's just a light nerd who hit it big, and now he's turned things over to people who deal with people for him and have taken his internet away by and large and things are slowly getting back on track. He almost completely sabotaged himself, prior. I cannot begrudge him this, really, as I'm just like that except I have the self control not to do those things to my customers, no matter what kind of nonsense they bring to the table.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have gotten away from all of my Modlites. Now I am just running Cloud and Arisaka/Malkoff. Have my first Surefire M640DFT coming today. They are solid lights and any issues I've had, the CS was great. But God is the owner a tool.

Also, REIN 2.0 is smaller than a Modlite. And the REIN 3.0 is even smaller than the 2.0

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#13]
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
I have gotten away from all of my Modlites. Now I am just running Cloud and Arisaka/Malkoff. Have my first Surefire M640DFT coming today. They are solid lights and any issues I've had, the CS was great. But God is the owner a tool.

Also, REIN 2.0 is smaller than a Modlite. And the REIN 3.0 is even smaller than the 2.0

https://i.imgur.com/X7wdOob.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BEHXayx.jpg
View Quote

Good call out on the sizes. People always compare the click cap with the REIN switch cap and say the Cloud is big. Not equal footing.

Cloud is my go to light company. Wish they had some better switch options but I still prefer the REIN enough to look past it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Good call out on the sizes. People always compare the click cap with the REIN switch cap and say the Cloud is big. Not equal footing.

Cloud is my go to light company. Wish they had some better switch options but I still prefer the REIN enough to look past it.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_2535_jpeg-3057544.JPG
View Quote

You can now get a body that accepts surefire tailcaps
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#15]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:

You can now get a body that accepts surefire tailcaps
View Quote

It's pretty sweet, too. They say that it lowers output by like 10%, but I honestly can't see it.

Both REIN 3.0's. One standard and one with the Legacy body, DS00 tailcap, and ModButton Lite

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jhon:
Sold my PLHv2 when I got my first Scout Turbo. The PLHv2 is a really good light, but the Turbo is better. More throw for outdoor use, yet has enough spill to work well indoors. The Scout Pro mount is fantastic as well. No need to by an aftermarket mount.
View Quote

I haven't tried the Scout Turbo, but I have the X300T and (I think) it performs similar to the Modlite OKW.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

I haven't tried the Scout Turbo, but I have the X300T and (I think) it performs similar to the Modlite OKW.
View Quote

I have all three. I rate them for throw as:

1. Surefire M340 DFT
2. Modlite OKW
3. Surefire X300T

The DFT is closer to the OKW than the X300T. If you think the X300T is close but just behind the OKW the DFT beats the OKW by an even smaller amount than the OKW beats the X300T... but it does beat the OKW by an almost imperceptible amount for throw.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Cloud is my go to light company. Wish they had some better switch options but I still prefer the REIN enough to look past it.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_2535_jpeg-3057544.JPG
View Quote

Word is, they are coming out with a new switch. Which is good, because I also do not like their current switch  
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#19]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

Word is, they are coming out with a new switch. Which is good, because I also do not like their current switch  
View Quote

I actually like the functions, its just the execution that could use some tweaking. Reduced pressure buttons with longer press travel would be nice, as well as an aluminum housing.

I’d REALLY like if they offered a reduced output mode selection, and some color filters caps for non NVG navigation, but that’s a long shot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Short_and_stupid] [#20]
I have an older plhv2. I really like it but I'm gonna replace it with the 18650 version so I don't have to stock up on different batteries than my edc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]

I actually like the functions, its just the execution that could use some tweaking. Reduced pressure buttons with longer press travel would be nice, as well as an aluminum housing.

I'd REALLY like if they offered a reduced output mode selection, and some color filters caps for non NVG navigation, but that's a long shot.
View Quote
I've got a Rein 3.0 with their current remote switch. I prefer the momentary towards the rear and the clicky towards the muzzle. I too found the momentary to feel a bit stiff, requiring the tip of my thumb to have to hook downward into the button with little forgiveness for thumb placement. I ended up trimming the polymer fence around the momentary to nearly flush with the body of the switch, which made it feel easier because a flat thumb could be used and there's more forgiveness for placement.

I don't at all plan on trading out my Surefire Scouts, but Cloud is my current go to. I'm currently waiting for a Rein 3.0 head and the legacy body, which will be paired with a Surefire tail cap and an aluminum bodied Unity hot button.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gunner76:
Thinking of getting a PLHv2 to try. Was going to to with a Rein 3.0 but wanted something a little smaller diameter. Reviews on the Modlite look good but just looking for some real world info. Light will be going on a HD/SHTF rifle with a RDS.

ETA. Thought about Surefire but the two 600 series Pro lights I have (DF and 123 model)just don't have the distance I want and the DF models have issues.
View Quote

Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0 Dual Fuel vs. Modlite PLH V2 Dual Fuel

Modlite PLH V2 Dual Fuel vs. REIN 3.0
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve played with just about them all and really like modlight (have two) but imo my favorite bang for the buck lights are arisaka. Kinda in the middle.

But if your all about having the brightest light possible the modlight or Cloud is the best options.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
If you still have your Surefire lights, just buy the Modlite heads. I really like the Legacy head because I always carry extra CR123 batteries.
View Quote

This would be my choice as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#25]

I’d REALLY like if they offered a reduced output mode selection, and some color filters caps for non NVG navigation, but that’s a long shot.
View Quote

Speaking of button pressure, try using the cloud switch (at least their old one) in the cold. Huuuuge pain in the ass. Button pressure gets insane when the rubber gets a little stiffer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I reqlly.like the power and throw on my modlights, but I do not like the little gold spring in the heads. I prefer the surefire spring loaded plungers. I had a spring break before. Modlight was good enough to send me a replacement spring (they thread in) but now it makes me nervous.  I have found the flickering issues with surefire 18650 lights usually occurs with batteries that are too short. I am curious to try a new turbo surefire
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:
I reqlly.like the power and throw on my modlights, but I do not like the little gold spring in the heads. I prefer the surefire spring loaded plungers. I had a spring break before. Modlight was good enough to send me a replacement spring (they thread in) but now it makes me nervous.  I have found the flickering issues with surefire 18650 lights usually occurs with batteries that are too short. I am curious to try a new turbo surefire
View Quote

Can you take a pic of this spring where it is for the Modlites?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't set up a way to post pics yet. Its the spring on the back of the head. The battery contact. They are all older Modlite heads though. Perhaps they have updated?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't set up a way to post pics yet. Its the spring on the back of the head. The battery contact. They are all older Modlite heads though. Perhaps they have updated?
View Quote

I received my Legacy Enhanced head since I posted my question.  I see it now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't like the keep the 18650 batteries installed when the rifles in the safe. Just a (probable) irrational fear of fire. Removing the battery so much is what kinked the spring, causing it to break on mine. I'm sure it's not an issue for folks who remove them at a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#31]

I don't like the keep the 18650 batteries installed when the rifles in the safe. Just a (probable) irrational fear of fire. Removing the battery so much is what kinked the spring, causing it to break on mine. I'm sure it's not an issue for folks who remove them at a reasonable rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The he'd I have is their Dual Fuel with CR123s so it's never really off and on...always on
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top