AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSheepDog] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Does the #4 take the now standard AR mag, or is it still using the prototype mag w/ the slightly different mag catch?
View Quote

Prototype mag. Note there is no channel for a magazine over-insertion hump to ride in on the lower.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#2]
But the upper would drop onto a standard lower produced today & run?  Takes an M-7 bayonet?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
But the upper would drop onto a standard lower produced today & run?  Takes an M-7 bayonet?
View Quote

Presumably, if the magazine isn’t seated too low. Note that the over insertion hump channel extends to the upper receiver just slightly on 601 and later guns. This is probably more for cosmetics than anything, but could create a bit of a hang up.

Assuming that is not a problem and the gas port diameter is good, then, yes, I imagine it would run on a modern lower.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanSheepDog:

Prototype mag. Note there is no channel for a magazine over-insertion hump to ride in on the lower.
View Quote

It’s probably been covered before, but anyone know the story of the green paint on some of the early magazines?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:21:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Carbinekid] [#5]
It is my impression that there is only one green mag, no bump 25rnds, usually pictured in one the prototype ARs #s1-4 at KAC the museum. I've not seen two pictured at a time that is.

edited cus I r a collage graduate and use English real good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:45:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSheepDog] [#6]
Originally Posted By Carbinekid:
It is my impression that there is only one green mag, no bump 25rnds, usually pictured in one the prototype ARs #s1-4 at KAC the museum. I've not seen two pictured at a time that is.

edited cus I r a collage graduate and use English real good.
View Quote

#2 and #3 are not at KAC/ The IMT. Mr Knight only has the XAR, #1 and #4

And by referencing these pictures, they look like different magazines if you ask me:

Mag 1:

Attachment Attached File

Mag 2:

So it looks like two mags are swapped around, possibly between the XAR and #4. Here’s the most recent pic I’ve seen of #4 with a grey mag:
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Added a close-up picture of #6 posted by Logan Metesh of High Caliber History LLC.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:40:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PHMDLJR] [#8]
Wow, number 4 has has sling attachments in 3 separate places.  I didn't know that, or hadn't noticed before.   Thanks for those additional pictures Lieutenant.  Always a joy and never tire of viewing these old guns.  Now I'll go back to page 1 and spend an hour viewing all those old beautiful guns again.  Good viewing with my morning coffee.

Wish I had another double slabside receiver from Nodak.  I'd do a number 4 for sure.  From what I've read, they're not doing any more of those.  I guess there is a limited number of us PROTO freaks out their is why.  Oh well, I'm still enjoying the journey anyhow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
No option for all the above.

They're like potato chips, you can't have just one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, #4 is a very unique rifle and is my favorite of the prototypes.

And yes, all of the above are very awesome rifles, but some are cooler than the other lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Excuse my ignorance, what is the upside down trigger looking thing in carry handle?
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:12:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M16indiana] [#12]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
Excuse my ignorance, what is the upside down trigger looking thing in carry handle?
View Quote

That is the charging handle that was used before the commonly used triangle variety.  It was found to be too fragile, and it was hard to use with gloved or dirty hands.  It also tended to get way too hot under continuous use
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By M16indiana:

That is the charging handle that was used before the commonly used triangle variety.  It was found to be too fragile, and it was hard to use with gloved or dirty hands.  It also tended to get way too hot under continuous use
View Quote

Thanks. Would not have guessed that. I was thinking take down release or ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#14]

#2 and #3 are not at KAC/ The IMT. Mr Knight only has the XAR, #1 and #4

And by referencing these pictures, they look like different magazines if you ask me:

Mag 1:
https://imgur.com/4WNNsVU.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463351/4BFFEB01-86F0-4C86-B3F5-EE14D925E738_jpe-1939266.JPG
https://imgur.com/d8wnQZ4.jpg
https://imgur.com/dDOiVrN.jpg

Mag 2:
https://imgur.com/ATno7GB.jpg

https://imgur.com/myNxUpx.jpg

So it looks like two mags are swapped around, possibly between the XAR and #4. Here’s the most recent pic I’ve seen of #4 with a grey mag:
https://imgur.com/GZAcdHw.jpg
View Quote

Those are the original 25 round straight box magazines. They were not reliable and were replaced with the 20 round magazines that are still being manufactured today. 30 round curved magazines didn't arrive on scene until around 1967.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Those are the original 25 round straight box magazines. They were not reliable and were replaced with the 20 round magazines that are still being manufactured today. 30 round curved magazines didn't arrive on scene until around 1967.
View Quote

I’m well aware lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]
So... apparently, 000002 and 000003 were confiscated, along with several other prototype weapons, by the State of Georgia several years ago.

PDF of the complaint

This was 2017 so, I wonder how the case has progressed? It'd be a travesty if the commies in Fulton county destroyed these.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 57Octane:
So... apparently, 000002 and 000003 were confiscated, along with several other prototype weapons, by the State of Georgia several years ago.

PDF of the complaint

This was 2017 so, I wonder how the case has progressed? It'd be a travesty if the commies in Fulton county destroyed these.
View Quote

Was aware of this as well but at the request of another member who gave me the info, I did not put it on the web. Yes, the GBI has those weapons as far as I am aware at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I would have to disagree with the claims made by the appraiser, as he makes it sound as if there were only 5 prototypes made.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Was aware of this as well but at the request of another member who gave me the info, I did not put it on the web. Yes, the GBI has those weapons as far as I am aware at the moment.
View Quote

I stumbled across it doing a search. If someone doesn’t want the info posted here then I’d be happy to remove it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 3:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanSheepDog] [#20]
Originally Posted By 57Octane:

I stumbled across it doing a search. If someone doesn’t want the info posted here then I’d be happy to remove it.

View Quote

I think the info is fine being there... It's been long enough and the facts are known amongst many, just hasn't been overtly stated until now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#21]
This is the most interesting and informative thread I have ever seen. Thanks OP. Also the best thing to ever come out of Hollywood. I’ll be reading this over and over. Needs a tack.

I’m planning to get started on an A2 retro build and am a complete newb at retro stuff.  I have already been warned about how expensive it can be to build one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]

I think the info is fine being there... It's been long enough and the facts are known amongst many, just hasn't been overtly stated until now.
View Quote

I think the info also belongs in in its own thread set up for discussion. (Did you know that Georgia taxes business inventory?)

A mention belongs here buy discussion of it seems off topic.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
This is the most interesting and informative thread I have ever seen. Thanks OP. Also the best thing to ever come out of Hollywood. I’ll be reading this over and over. Needs a tack.

I’m planning to get started on an A2 retro build and am a complete newb at retro stuff.  I have already been warned about how expensive it can be to build one.
View Quote

Its only gone up since I started, and I was late to the game.  You're welcome though!

The thread is saved in the "information links" thread at the top of the forum, but I also wish it was tacked on the front page myself. I might be a bit biased, however.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Springfield Armory ArmaLite AR-15 SNª000006 .

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Info about #18's modified barrels added. Potentially was the first to have the thicker profile seen on #3. 22 September 1958 could be the point when the thicker barrel and flash hider were first seen by the U.S. military.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Added pictures of XAR1501's rear sight thanks to @m1shooter2

Added some SEXY pictures of #4 that @papermaker81 provided me. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks you for tagging @osprey21
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top