Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
MRW,
Very nice.  Has the Phantom fs really made that much of a difference?  I'm thinking about getting one as well, but not sure if it will do that much more on a 11.5" bbl.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By DBAR:
MRW,
Very nice.  Has the Phantom fs really made that much of a difference?  I'm thinking about getting one as well, but not sure if it will do that much more on a 11.5" bbl.

I have a vortex on my 7.5" and there is no flash. I have not tried my 4 hole phantom yet. I will try it out this weekend, and let you know how it does.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Update

I decided to go with a LMT BUIS.  They are more sturdy and less of a pain in the ass than a flip up like I had before.  I didn't want to add a red dot so it made since to put a fixed buis on vs. the ARMS #40.  I also traded out my single point sling for a G27 grip (I like them, got em on both my ARs) with a good member on the EE.  I just looped a sling with a couple of buckles for a very simple sling that helps me stabalize the Pistol while shooting.

I went to the range today, but couldn't stay long.  This is what I did after re zeroing with the new sight.  20 shots (XM193) at 50 meters, following the 3 second rule at Parma Woods.  Not the best, but I'll take it.  It's still MOD.  I didn't have time for anything further out, but I don't see much reason to go much further out with it.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:40:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Charger01] [#6]
She's a sweet shooter.

Oly Arms SS 6.5" upper
Mega lower
New M1S buffer tube (no longer stubby..)

= ALL GOOD

About 210 round through it, zero stoppages.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By DBAR:
If you guys are going to get the ACE buffer tube I strongly suggest that you get it from ACE.  I priced them before getting mine from ACE, and I had some retailers selling them at $75.00 vs. $57.00 from ACE.  I am surprised that a company with a good name would price something over retail.  That company lost my business this time, and left room for doubt.  In fact when I was shopping for bbls. and uppers I had to take them out of the running.  I'll still do business with them, but I'll keep doing my research.

I had the SAME EXACT EXPERIENCE.  I asked them what they are offerring in addition to the kit to make it cost more than 57?  They never answered that email....
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag! Another project due to BRD.  You guys make me sick !
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if anybody remembers, but I was having spacers made for cut bolt carriers to work in lieu of the Bushmaster bolt carriers?  Well, I've got them anyhow.  Have to try it out still.  To refresh, the standard bolt carrier turns into a "Tuning Fork" with the top and bottom open if you cut it to the same length as the Bushmaster pistol carrier.  So, I had a machinest turn spacers so that the buffer tube sits slightly further back allowing the bolt carrier to be cut about 1/8" back.  This gives the carrier an arch in the back for more support and only adds 1/8" to the length of the pistol.  It saves you from having to get a whole new bolt carrier, though.  Just cut the one you have.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Boogie  Boogie Boogie

Finally a pic of the new pistol build!

CMMG 7.5" upper
CAR Buffer and Tube
RRA Defender Rail BUIS/EOTech mount
EOTech 551
YHM Flip GB Front Sight
YHM FFR

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By avengeusa:

Originally Posted By NevisRuprecht:
Boogie  Boogie Boogie

CMMG 7.5" upper
CAR Buffer and Tube
EOTech 551
YHM Flip GB Front Sight
YHM FFR

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/NevisRuprecht/pistol.jpg

so how does she run...

Funny you should ask.

Local range has been closed for renovations since just before the 4th.  SO, I hope they'll be open Friday and I'll give it a run.   Looking forward to finding out the answer myself.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Boogie  Boogie Boogie

CMMG 7.5" upper
CAR Buffer and Tube
EOTech 551
YHM Flip GB Front Sight
YHM FFR

Nevis, Nice looking pistol. I chose the CAR buffer tube as well so I could still shoulder the pistol. I heard the "pistol buffer tubes" you can buy (like from M1S) don't always function correctly because the buffer is solid and doesn't have a internal free-moving weight.

The ridge on the bottom of the tube needs to be cut off. I cut mine with a band saw and grinded the rest off. Then sand blasted the aluminum in that spot to give the texture of the rest of the tube. It came out really nice.
The reason the ridge has to be cut off is in case you are ever in possession of the pistol and a CAR collapsible stock at the same time (it doesn't even have to be on the pistol). To ATF that is considered a SBR. It is like possessing an AR and a full-auto trigger mechanism.

I will post pictures soon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NevisRuprecht] [#15]
SP,

Thanks for the compliment.  Whether it works or not it does look badass.  Turned out better than I expected.

I started out building a 9mm pistol and it included the pistol buffer system that you've seen here on some of the pictures.  Nothing wrong with them (I think) as it did function on the 9mm upper that I had.  I would expect though that the .223 pistol upper and pistol buffer system might not work well together.  I appreciate that the pistol buffer is shorter however; my reason for the CAR buffer is a pure reliability issue.  Just didn't feel like "tuning" a pistol buffer system.  9mm upper was returned for other issues.

I'm going to speculate out loud for a moment in so far as your observation about the CAR buffer.  Not picking on you or throwing something back at you.

I've now read the 29 pages or so of this thread twice and in some cases 5-6 times (comments by Big-Bore etc.) and I appreciate all the excellent info contained here in.

It appears that only the Oly OA style pistols are immune from the butt stock dilemma.  The Bushmaster pistol buffer, ACE, M1S pistol buffer, any Mil Spec buffer tube sans stock, are capable of having a butt stock attached.  For example, as you mentioned, some people have modified the CAR buffer tube with a bolt, twine/para cord, or taken off the locking lugs/rail that allows for an adjustable butt stock.  It is my observation that just removing the rail does not prevent sliding a butt stock over the tube.  It just won’t lock.

ANY rifle receiver that is used to build a pistol has the same potential for adding a butt stock as it IS designed as such.  With the AR-15 receiver you have to make allowances for the BCG so a buffer tube is necessary even if you use a 9mm (or other) BCG.

I have many AR systems.  If I wanted to make an SBR all I would have to do is swap uppers.  I have no such intent.  Nor do I intend to add a butt stock to my pistol build.

I just wonder that if I were to grind off the rail, wrap it in paracord, shellac it, and weld a three point broad head to the end of it so it could never be shouldered if I would be any more compliant with the law than I am right now?  A definite maybe.

So SP, I am still mulling over the options as to how to address this asinine issue of the buffer tube.  Wish me luck.

Nevis.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful weapon Nevis, Curious as to how it looks in the dark, barking !!!
Don't change a thing unless whats there don't work.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Trip to the range:

OK...The CAR buffer works great.

CMMG upper ain't to shabby either.  A+ comprable to ABC.

EOTech is (I believe) THE optic system for pistol rigs (FOV).

Iron sights (for me) were not much use.  Difficult to focus on FSP.

W/EOTech - .75 group at 25 yards frm benchrest (my best just before I called it a day).

I'll see if I can tighten that up on the next range trip.

BIG Fn BANG w/lots of smoke. IT IS LOOOUUUUD!!!

Recoil no better/worse than a 9mm pistol upper (my sense of it anyway)

I like it.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Southern_Pride:

Boogie  Boogie Boogie

CMMG 7.5" upper
CAR Buffer and Tube
EOTech 551
YHM Flip GB Front Sight
YHM FFR

Nevis, Nice looking pistol. I chose the CAR buffer tube as well so I could still shoulder the pistol. I heard the "pistol buffer tubes" you can buy (like from M1S) don't always function correctly because the buffer is solid and doesn't have a internal free-moving weight.

The ridge on the bottom of the tube needs to be cut off. I cut mine with a band saw and grinded the rest off. Then sand blasted the aluminum in that spot to give the texture of the rest of the tube. It came out really nice.
The reason the ridge has to be cut off is in case you are ever in possession of the pistol and a CAR collapsible stock at the same time (it doesn't even have to be on the pistol). To ATF that is considered a SBR. It is like possessing an AR and a full-auto trigger mechanism.

I will post pictures soon.

Southern,

I sure do not want to sound like I am being controversial with a new member here, but I think I need to addressa couple of your points.  First, if you go back and reread the thread, you will find that the possession of a buttstock and a pistol without SBR paperwork is not so cut and dried.  If you also possess a rifle barrel then it would appear that you can have the short barrel and buttstock.  It appears that possesion of the parts in a capacity that can only be an illegal SBR would be the thing to get you into trouble.  If all that I had was the AR pistol, I might go the grind and refinish route with a car tube.

The second point is posting about buying the car so that you can shoulder the weapon might not be such a good thing to be discussing and possibly promoting.  This, imho, could probably lead to more trouble if observed by law enforcement.  Again, much of this is covered in this lengthy thread, and it behoves anyone reading these last pages to visit this entire thread so that personal decisions can be made with the most amount of info.

Again, I am not trying to be a butt head, it is just that the AR pistol can be a very tricky subject with regard to legalities, especially with the BATF involved.  My personal belief is that as long as I do not commit any federal crimes that gets the BATF fine tooth combing me, or do anything in a public place that might be closely scrutinized by law enforcement, I feel that I am good to go.  A good example for me was one of the last times I had my pistol out on BLM land.  I was checked by BLM law enforcement.  He did not even know what the gun was.  I told him that it was a pistol, and that I had my I's and T's crossed.  He said great.  Actually he said that he had no idea what I was talking about, but that I sounded like I knew what I was doing.  I think if he had seen me shouldering the gun, he might have asked himself, " he just said it was a pistol, but I saw him shooting it like a rifle.  What's up with that?"  

Craig      
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I consider the stuff about NOT using a Car tube as Internet BS.

But to save time , I'll just post a pic and a link to my separate pistol build thread.  

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=241611

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By AKsRule:
I consider the stuff about NOT using a Car tube as Internet BS.

But to save time , I'll just post a pic and a link to my separate pistol build thread.  

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=241611

img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AKsrule/ARpistol009.jpg

AKs,

Very nice build.

I offer a hint for you and others that have FTEs where the BCG is stuck.  Hold down the CH catch and slam the rear of the weapon on the (soft) ground.  Weight of BCG will usually open it right up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Parts are trickling in. I hope to have my pistol built in a week or so.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15inmn] [#23]
DPMS 7’’ Kitty Kat A3 Flat Top Barrel Assembly
DPMS Kitty Kat Length Free Float Tube
4 Rail Gas Block
Detachable Carry Handle
Detachable Front Sight
Chrome Bolt Carrier Assembly
DPMS Pistol Engraved Lower
Ace Buffer Tube W/Side Sling Adapter
Colt 9mm Buffer (5.4 oz.)
KNS Non-Rotational Pins
DPMS Ambi Safety Selector
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
First Samco G27 Tactical Handgrip

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]
A pop to the top for a good thread.

BTT
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#25]
I just found out that CMMG is now offering an AR pistol. Follow the link and it's near the top of the page. Here are the stats:

New Production CMMG 7.3"Pistol w/Four Rail. $999

Features:
- mil-spec chrome lined, MP tested, 1/7" twist, 5.56mm barrel
- feed cut ramps
- padded pistol buffer assy (yes, it's the ACE tube)
- sling adapter
- T marked receiver

Includes:
- 2 mags
- cleaning kit
- sling
- Lifetime warranty.

It doesn't have iron sights but that doesn't bother me in the least. I'm glad they're offering this. It makes me a lot more open to getting one all put together and ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By ar15inmn:
i18.photobucket.com/albums/b146/ar15inmn/AR15%20Pictures/Kitty-Kat.jpg

Mine is going to look EXACTLY like that, but different.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is a quick question.  I'm wanting to build a pistol myself, but who do I have the option of buying a 7.5" barrel upper from?  I know Model 1 has them along with CMMG.  Any other dealers out there?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]
DPMS has the Kitty Kat upper on their web site.

You also see uppers here on the EE from time to time.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kallnojoy] [#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:32:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoogerSnax] [#30]
This is just like mine, except that I've got the Professional Ordnance version. Bushmaster bought them out and continued with the line. Pro Ordnance made a different bolt system for theirs. The bolt has rounded locking lugs and the bolt carrier is shorter than a regular AR. Bushmaster redesigend it to use standard AR parts.

It makes one hell of a fireball.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#31]
OMG what is that on your barrel??? 9mm, right?
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]
My Predator Railed AR Pistol:

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:03:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Matt_B] [#33]
nm
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I think that was meant for kallnojoy

It looks like a free float tube that covers the entire barrel.
OR
It could be a suppressor/fake suppressor
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By az-gunner:
I think that was meant for kallnojoy

It looks like a free float tube that covers the entire barrel.
OR
It could be a suppressor/fake suppressor

It's a Hogue FF tube covering a 5" 9mm 3-lug barrel.

It's a pistol incarnation of what (two tax stamps later) will be a suppressed 9mm SBR.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:29:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#36]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chapperjoe] [#37]

I love these things!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got a pic of mine once finished:

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nascar3n8fan] [#39]

Originally Posted By BoogerSnax:
This is just like mine, except that I've got the Professional Ordnance version. Bushmaster bought them out and continued with the line. Pro Ordnance made a different bolt system for theirs. The bolt has rounded locking lugs and the bolt carrier is shorter than a regular AR. Bushmaster redesigend it to use standard AR parts.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/Images/AZ-C15P97.jpg

I've got thebushmaster.

+1 on the fireball.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
tinypic.com/984pig.jpg
tinypic.com/984rgp.jpg

I love these things!

Nice job!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By nascar3n8fan:

Originally Posted By BoogerSnax:
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/carbon15/Images/AZ-C15P97.jpg

I've got thebushmaster.

+1 on the fireball.  href=img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/nascar3n8fan/ARpistol.jpg

+2 on the fireball
Mine just got back from BM,i`ll post a pic later
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#42]
ok: does anyone know if they make a 7.5in bbl upper w/ a 1-7 twist?

i have only found 7.5in bbl w/ 1-9 or 10.3/10.5in bbl uppers w/ 1-7.....so does anyone make/sell a 1-7 twist 7.5in bbl or bbl upper?

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:

i have only found 7.5in bbl w/ 1-9 or 10.3/10.5in bbl uppers w/ 1-7.....so does anyone make/sell a 1-7 twist 7.5in bbl or bbl upper?

CMMG offers a pistol w/1/7 in 7.5
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#44]

i did not see that option on thier site, do you have to contact em for availability or special order or something?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#45]
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/deadboi77/matilda1.jpg
Freshly back from BM.They polished the chamber and ramps.The EO is going to be replaced soon,I didn`t  think the 552 was going to be so big,good thing, i`ll have that EO for when the SEBR arrive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#46]

i did not see that option on thier site, do you have to contact em for availability or special order or something?

thanks

Here is the link:
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=180536&cat=32&

Its a full pistol lower and all.  I don't know if they will offer the upper only however, they offer every thing else so I'd say the chances are good. I got my 7.5 upper from them.

Nevis
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:11:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALPHAGHOST] [#47]
cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=180536&cat=32&

thanks nevis!

did not check complete pistols/firearms--thought you were talking about pistol uppers

i'll give em a call for info
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Tagaroo!

Danny
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By KeithBuckner:
My Predator Railed AR Pistol:

alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/AR15/pistol01tn.jpg

That's a good looking AR Pistol.  Do you get tired of having to flip up your BUIS every time you want to aim.  I know I did, that's why I went to a LMT fixed BUIS.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top