User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2024 4:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy]
My goal was to be under 6 lbs with optic (PA 5x micro prism w/PA mini reflex red dot).
Without any accessories or optics (But with stock installed) it is 5.7 lbs

PA advertises the 5x & 3x micro prisms as weighin 8 oz. No way in hell.... (EDIT:Put the optic setup on the scale & 1 lb!) I may as well just go back to an LPVO smh...After I added the optic setup listed above, the Centurion hand stop & rail covers & VTAC 2 pt sling, the weight shot up to 7.1 lbs!!!!

After I added the Surefire SOCOM MINI2 can, we are at 7.9 lbs.....
I know I can shave a few more ounces by going with the MFT stock, PSA BCG, lighter FH & a lighter buffer setup. However, I went with this FH because of the SOCOM MINI2 and the buffer setup because it will be suppressed full time.

Full parts list below.

Ruger stripped lower
B5 Type 23 grip
Geissele ambi safety
Stag LPK
V7 takedown pins, grip screw, ejection port cover & rod & end plate & castle nut
Centurion 14.5" lightweight hammer forged barrel
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Toolcraft BCG
Warhammer CH
B5 Bravo stock
Centurion rail covers & hand stop
Odin works extended mag release
CMMG Zeroed bolt catch
Larue MBT-2S trigger
2A Armament upper receiver
2A builder series buffer tube
Midwest micro gas block
Centurion gas tube
Strike FA
Geissele Super 42 H2 buffer & spring
Midwest 12.6" Ultralight handguard
Surefire closed tine FH/suppressor adapter
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you missed the weight goal....

Big girls need love too
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a DSA aluminum bolt carrier, move to a standard buffer and maybe add a lightweight lower.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Get a DSA aluminum bolt carrier, move to a standard buffer and maybe add a lightweight lower.
View Quote

Are the DSA BCG reliable? This will be the SHTF rifle. It must be 100% reliable
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont think I'd want to go with a lightweight BCG on a defensive gun. Honestly, I'd just run it. If you want to try and build a lightweight gun in the future, have at it. No reason not to, but for your SHTF gun, I'd say reliability is far more important than trying to shave  little more weight.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
I dont think I'd want to go with a lightweight BCG on a defensive gun. Honestly, I'd just run it. If you want to try and build a lightweight gun in the future, have at it. No reason not to, but for your SHTF gun, I'd say reliability is far more important than trying to shave  little more weight.
View Quote

I'm not after lightest ever, but almost 8 lb is no fun for me. Gotta find ways to shave weight without making it unreliable
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What does the MI rail weigh?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If weight is a concern I’d always recommend going pencil. The Centurion isn’t on the heavy side by any means, but a true pencil profile would have got you closer to 5 pounds naked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
What does the MI rail weigh?
View Quote

8 oz
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
If weight is a concern I’d always recommend going pencil. The Centurion isn’t on the heavy side by any means, but a true pencil profile would have got you closer to 5 pounds naked.
View Quote

But it's going to be run with a can full time & I already had it pinned & welded
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The 5x is advertised as 8.5oz, and then you added a reflex sight. I don't know what that adds up to, but should be less than a pound?

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

But it's going to be run with a can full time & I already had it pinned & welded
View Quote

Yeah, I would say you chose wisely if using a suppressor on it.

Realistically theres only so much you can do to reduce weight before you start making trade offs. What might help is balance. Seems counter productive but sometimes more weight in the ass can actually make a gun feel lighter. A lot of Magpul UBR guys noted this but I had a big honking stainless barrel and quad rail when I tried one back in the day so it was a wash.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nehi:
The 5x is advertised as 8.5oz, and then you added a reflex sight. I don't know what that adds up to, but should be less than a pound?

View Quote

I emailed PA & they gave a typical bs caned reply saaying the weight is without mount lol. Then list that on your site!
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#13]
But 8.5oz is the weight of the 5x with the mount, correct?

What does the reflex sight and mount weigh?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wheel] [#14]
Here's how I did it, just listing the major components that impact the weight:

2A Armament Balios Lite upper    
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel      
SLR Sentry-6 gas block        
2A Armament 12" rail            
2A Armament LW bolt carrier grp    
2A Armament T3 Compensator        

Bushmaster lower                            
ACE ARUL-E Stock                              
Taccom LW buffer            

Final weight 4lbs  14oz
Add a red dot and some miscellaneous stuff pushed it to 5.5 lbs.
I could have done a bit better by buying a new lightweight lower,  but I had the old Bushmaster lying around.

ETA: To keep weight low you really need a red dot. Also don't overlook the weight of the stock, and use a very light buffer with adjustable gas block to compensate.  I also opted to ditch the FA.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
This will be the SHTF rifle. It must be 100% reliable
View Quote

Then I would highly recommend not trying to build a lightweight rig. That doesn’t mean put an hbar on it but components that are battle tested will not be lightweight.

Also it’s fairly common knowledge that PA optic weights are listed sans mount because most people swap out the shitty PA mount immediately. Same as acogs. Good luck with your build
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:15:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xFREDx] [#16]
Agree would not go super light for shtf. However look for the bcm ELW bFH 154.5 barrel. Take off the ambi safety and get a LW one sided. Get the Magpul port door and slick side upper. That still save some weight
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:29:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#17]

I'm not after lightest ever, but almost 8 lb is no fun for me. Gotta find ways to shave weight without making it unreliable
View Quote
Work out more if necessary.   8# won't kill you.   GIs carried M1 Garand throughout WWII.   Seriously, not being wise-ass.    If SHTF gun, reliability is your goal, not the lightest possible.   I would not at all consider an aluminum BCG.   Build a 10-12# gun, carry that until 8# feels light.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]

I emailed PA & they gave a typical bs caned reply saaying the weight is without mount lol. Then list that on your site!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Considering the previous model 3x prism was over 18oz without any accessories, the micro prisms are pretty light, and have better optics.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:45:30 AM EDT
[#19]
What's your max acceptable overall weight, OP?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#20]
But 8.5oz is the weight of the 5x with the mount, correct?

What does the reflex sight and mount weigh?
View Quote

No, 8.5 oz is without mount. It's just the optic. They sure are shady on the site with that. Reflex is supposed to be 1.1 oz

I did order a ADM mount last night. We'll see what shaves off
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wheel:
Here's how I did it, just listing the major components that impact the weight:

2A Armament Balios Lite upper    
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel      
SLR Sentry-6 gas block        
2A Armament 12" rail            
2A Armament LW bolt carrier grp    
2A Armament T3 Compensator        

Bushmaster lower                            
ACE ARUL-E Stock                              
Taccom LW buffer            

Final weight 4lbs  14oz
Add a red dot and some miscellaneous stuff pushed it to 5.5 lbs.
I could have done a bit better by buying a new lightweight lower,  but I had the old Bushmaster lying around.

ETA: To keep weight low you really need a red dot. Also don't overlook the weight of the stock, and use a very light buffer with adjustable gas block to compensate.  I also opted to ditch the FA.

View Quote

I want magnification so a dot is out. Not messing with adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Work out more if necessary.   8# won't kill you.   GIs carried M1 Garand throughout WWII.   Seriously, not being wise-ass.    If SHTF gun, reliability is your goal, not the lightest possible.   I would not at all consider an aluminum BCG.   Build a 10-12# gun, carry that until 8# feels light.
View Quote

Really? Thanks for being rude. This is not about my arm strength. Have a good one!

Again, I never said lightest possible. I said light(er)
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
What's your max acceptable overall weight, OP?
View Quote

I would like as close as I can get to 6 lbs with optic, but without the can. Again, no red dots.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#24]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

As far as Lightweight Bolt Carriers not being reliable…..That’s TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

I’m running Lightweight Carriers in ALL of my AR’s including my Dury Rifle, it currently has over 8,500 rounds through it with ZERO MALFUNCTIONS!

Run a J.P. Enterprises LMOS Nitride Carrier, use a Wolff XP Action spring and lube your rifle with Mobile 1 0W-40 oil.

I can SLOWLY edge the carrier forward and it will still strip a round off of a full magazine.
View Quote

Are you running an adj gas block as well?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#27]
PA advertises the 5x & 3x micro prisms as weighin 8 oz. No way in hell.... (EDIT:Put the optic setup on the scale & 1 lb!)
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

3x with factory mount is spot on.  Never had a 5x in my hands to compare.

Woof. Scale looks like hell, but to be fair it's on a workbench in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner01] [#28]

6lb 7oz with the wml.
6lb 3.5 without.

If I use my spare lpvo on it its 7lbs even...
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LipschitzWrath] [#29]

I would like as close as I can get to 6 lbs with optic, but without the can. Again, no red dots.
View Quote
No offense, but you're kind of closing a bunch of doors. No barrel change, no red dot, not messing with adjustable gas black, 100% reliable, etc.

I guess my answer at this point is that no silver bullet exists in your situation.

You could spend a shit load of money and start replacing stuff with magnesium and titanium. Lightweight receivers, too.

Or you could replace the barrel and optic and probably pretty much be there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#30]
Honestly it sounds like a well thought out build.

Everyone seems to essentially want a lightweight SPR.. But they pretty much always get to 8-10lbs with accessories, or you make some serious trade offs.

You could easily get to 9lbs with any one or multiple of the following: light, laser, bipod.

Edit

If it was me, I would probably call that rifle good to go, and have a lighter weight 11.5" with RDS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#31]
Go with the PA 3x. You won't need the 1x.

I've got a 10.3" setup running the MINI2; optic is a PA 2x with LT105 mount. With sling & wml I'm all in at 8lbs, 4oz.
Wish it were lighter but it's set up the way I want to run it so "it is what it is".

ETA: You could take that rail down to a 10.5" and shave a few more ounces. I really like that MI Ultralightweight setup; used it on a few builds.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#32]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
Honestly it sounds like a well thought out build.

Everyone seems to essentially want a lightweight SPR.. But they pretty much always get to 8-10lbs with accessories, or you make some serious trade offs.

You could easily get to 9lbs with any one or multiple of the following: light, laser, bipod.

Edit

If it was me, I would probably call that rifle good to go, and have a lighter weight 11.5" with RDS.
View Quote
I agree with all that. Reads like a solid build.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#33]
My lightweight build is just about 5 lb with red dot and light. And it's been 100% reliable so far. Some quick recommendations:

V7 11" Magnesium Hyper-Light M-Lok Handguard - 5.8 oz total
Brownells M16 lightweight BCG - 8.2 oz total

Right there, that takes 5-6 oz off your current weight. And depending on your preference, lightweight stock and grip can save you another 3-4 oz.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#34]
On the MI rail, that is with the Ti barrel nut? If not you might switch it out for that. My lightweight SHTF builds end up being model 653 clones, very simple and reliable. But I know what you mean. I built a lightweight 12.5" grendel with mi rail and Ti nut, and all the lightweight components I could find, adj gas, lightweight steel bolt carrier etc, and it was impressively light until I added a mount and LPVO which ended up way too heavy. Now reconsidering the optic and getting a lightweight mount and mrds to bring balance back to it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#35]
the old-school CAR buttstock is pretty light, if you're trying save some ounces.  maybe you could run a 13.9" barrel instead of 14.5", P&W to 16".

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By x248716x:
the old-school CAR buttstock is pretty light, if you're trying save some ounces.  maybe you could run a 13.9" barrel instead of 14.5", P&W to 16".

https://i.imgur.com/x03MTN2.jpg
View Quote

My barrel is already pinned and welded. Not spending more money to undo it and redo it with another barrel. This is the barrel that's staying on there.

I have a MFT stock. Might slap it on to see if it still feels balanced.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By yrs:
My lightweight build is just about 5 lb with red dot and light. And it's been 100% reliable so far. Some quick recommendations:

V7 11" Magnesium Hyper-Light M-Lok Handguard - 5.8 oz total
Brownells M16 lightweight BCG - 8.2 oz total

Right there, that takes 5-6 oz off your current weight. And depending on your preference, lightweight stock and grip can save you another 3-4 oz.
View Quote

Are there any lighter grips similar to the B5, though? I have this grip on everything as it's the most comfortable other than the Magpul MOE
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284414/1000004920-3157547.jpg
6lb 7oz with the wml.
6lb 3.5 without.

If i out my spare lpvo on it its 7lbs even...
View Quote

Build details?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#39]
My preference is for lightweight carbines as well, and my goal is further to maintain a regular BCG and not going to adjustable gas.  (It's just something I haven't explored, although, you know, one of these days . . . . )  I think you're just bumping up against the weight/tradeoff issues that I run into all the time.  Your setup sounds like it's really solid, and eight pounds with a can, with a non-SBR barrel length, and without a lightweight BCG . . . that sounds to me like about as good as you can get.

Once more, nice stick.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Lightweight-Parts-List-with-WEIGHTS-AR-15-/118-638524/

OP, even though your barrel is already pinned & welded, you can have it turned down by a machinist on a lathe.  If you didn't go stainless, you'll have to refinish it, but that could just be Cerakote.  It'll be under the handguard anyway.  Or if you have a Dremel, you can flute it.  

Rather than using a magnified optic, I use a 1x red dot and a QD variable magnifier.  I might go to a 1x prism down the road b/c of my astigmatism, but the QD flip mount lets me pull the weight off the rifle when I don't need it, and I can move it from gun to gun.  The variable magnifier lets me zoom from 2-5X, makes zeroing the red dot much easier for these old eyes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

I would avoid an aluminum BCG in a serious use rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Originally Posted By RangeToy:  Are the DSA BCG reliable? This will be the SHTF rifle. It must be 100% reliable

I would avoid an aluminum BCG in a serious use rifle.

If I had the money, I would consider it, but cognizant that it's a wear item & has to be run wet.  I think JP's run for 10k, then it's done.

I think the whole SHTF build thing is overblown.  If TEOTWAWKI, and you survive for any length of time, there are going to be plenty of AR parts around long term.  Used, but available.  As long as your AR is mil-spec parts compatible, you'll be good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MoonlightAgain:
My preference is for lightweight carbines as well, and my goal is further to maintain a regular BCG and not going to adjustable gas.  (It's just something I haven't explored, although, you know, one of these days . . . . )  I think you're just bumping up against the weight/tradeoff issues that I run into all the time.  Your setup sounds like it's really solid, and eight pounds with a can, with a non-SBR barrel length, and without a lightweight BCG . . . that sounds to me like about as good as you can get.

Once more, nice stick.
View Quote

Appreciate it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:54:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner01] [#44]

Build details?
View Quote

Im gonna have to try and remember but the lower is a poverty pony I picked up for $69 just for gits and shiggles. Aero sporter upper or whatever the non-FA upper is called. BA 14.7" pencil profile midlength barrel. MI handgaurd that I had lying around. I had a tailhook on there but felt the LOP was off. That would take off a few more oz as well over the magpul. My goal was to use normal parts for this build.

ETA I will add that some of my retro shorty guns are lighter than this but also missing a few inches off the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

You do not want lightweight internals for a duty gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

As far as Lightweight Bolt Carriers not being reliable…..That’s TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

I’m running Lightweight Carriers in ALL of my AR’s including my Duty Rifle, it currently has over 8,500 rounds through it with ZERO MALFUNCTIONS!

Run a J.P. Enterprises LMOS Nitride Carrier, use a Wolff XP Action spring and lube your rifle with Mobile 1 0W-40 oil.

I can SLOWLY edge the carrier forward and it will still strip a round off of a full magazine.
View Quote

I see them fail with boring regularity.

When you drop weight from the BCG you’re now narrowing the operational window in which it will remain reliable. This is acceptable with a race gun which will get a steady diet of one or two loads, but a recipient for unpleasantness with a rifle which is expected to perform under all environmental conditions with a variety of ammunition every single time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Im gonna have to try and remember but the lower is a poverty pony I picked up for $69 just for gits and shiggles. Aero sporter upper or whatever the non-FA upper is called. BA 14.7" pencil profile midlength barrel. MI handgaurd that I had lying around. I had a tailhook on there but felt the LOP was off. That would take off a few more oz as well over the magpul. My goal was to use normal parts for this build.

ETA I will add that some of my retro shorty guns are lighter than this but also missing a few inches off the barrel.
View Quote

Thanks for replying. It is a nice looking AR.

I've got a lighter BCG (Not lightweight, just 3 oz lighter than the Toolcraft) and a ADM mount for the PA optic coming. I may just yank the red dot & piggy back mount too.

That V7 handguard is enticing, but that price for just 3 oz less? Not worth it after I already have the MI & did a Duracoat job to the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Thanks for replying. It is a nice looking AR.

I've got a lighter BCG (Not lightweight, just 3 oz lighter than the Toolcraft) and a ADM mount for the PA optic coming. I may just yank the red dot & piggy back mount too.

That V7 handguard is enticing, but that price for just 3 oz less? Not worth it after I already have the MI & did a Duracoat job to the whole rifle.
View Quote

Thanks. It was just a thought exercise wit some parts I had and a Tism moment. I could definitely make it lighter if I tried but for now, it's just a nice little camping or backpack gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks. It was just a thought exercise wit some parts I had and a Tism moment. I could definitely make it lighter if I tried but for now, it's just a nice little camping or backpack gun.
View Quote

Seems like we have to spend stupid money to get what would be called lightweight these days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I agree with this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top