Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2024 8:32:25 AM EDT
Thoughts on this thing? Seems to be in the heavier side compared to others but the price is great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#1]
Great for the price.  It’s a touch heavy.

It’s not amazing or anything, including the mount is what separates it in its price range, not the glass.  The NOVA’s distinguishing trait is having the brightest illumination out there.

I’m going PA NOVA over Tango, part of that is I know PA will be there if I have a problem.  The odds of having a problem with a China made optic are higher, so I want the company that will take care of me no questions asked for life.

To me the glass is comparable to Vortex, PA, Swampfox, and other similar level LPVO’s.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BhamAR:
Great for the price.  It’s a touch heavy.

It’s not amazing or anything, including the mount is what separates it in its price range, not the glass.  The NOVA’s distinguishing trait is having the brightest illumination out there.

I’m going PA NOVA over Tango, part of that is I know PA will be there if I have a problem.  The odds of having a problem with a China made optic are higher, so I want the company that will take care of me no questions asked for life.

To me the glass is comparable to Vortex, PA, Swampfox, and other similar level LPVO’s.
View Quote

Good to know. That was my next question how does it stack up against the Nova. PA is hard to beat. Saw a local guy with a used tango for 175 and thought about picking it up but may just use that money towards a nova
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#3]
$175 would make me consider it pretty hard compared to a NOVA and then buying a mount.

Tough call.  FWIW, I do like the glass on the NOVA more, but it’s not an entirely different league type thing.  PA’s warranty, the slightly better glass, & the dot would push me to the NOVA.

However, a Sig for $175 in good shape isn’t bad at all, someone will get a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SWFLdude:

Good to know. That was my next question how does it stack up against the Nova. PA is hard to beat. Saw a local guy with a used tango for 175 and thought about picking it up but may just use that money towards a nova
View Quote

Buy the local sig. try it out. If you don’t like it it’ll sell for 225 easily. Make 50 bucks and win.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
$175 would make me consider it pretty hard compared to a NOVA and then buying a mount.

Tough call.  FWIW, I do like the glass on the NOVA more, but it’s not an entirely different league type thing.  PA’s warranty, the slightly better glass, & the dot would push me to the NOVA.

However, an Sig for $175 in good shape isn’t bad at all, someone will get a good deal.
View Quote

Having said that, I may just get the Sig for now. He said he’ll take 150. It looks brand new…most likely a safe queen. If I feel the need for an “upgrade”, I’ll grab a Nova or maybe even just go up to an accupoint.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:

Buy the local sig. try it out. If you don’t like it it’ll sell for 225 easily. Make 50 bucks and win.
View Quote

Yea I’m thinking the same. I could at least get money back if not more
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It's just OK..I got rid of mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s okay for the money.

I could make out the lettering on the side of an electrical box down my street with a similarly priced 1.5-4 Leupold. I had to crank it up to 6X on the MSR to read it, and it was still harder to do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#10]
Finally used an Arken EP-8 LPVO today, so circled back to this thread.

I bought one for a great price and a good friend wanted it so I let him have it for what I paid for it.

Well today he brought it over.  I know there’s some hate on Arken for their YouTube stuff, but I’m really impressed with it.  Some people don’t like the reticle, was just fine for me.  But I can see why some don’t like it.

The glass is definitely better than the NOVA & far better than the Sig MSR.

I can get them for $400 with the mount delivered from a connection I have.  Thinking about getting some for my backup builds now. Decisions, decisions….

I’m kinda spoiled from my Razor, so I’m pretty tough on budget stuff, but it has me very interested.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Not familiar with Arken but I’m definitely going to do my research now. Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:59:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#12]
Not familiar with Arken but I’m definitely going to do my research now. Thanks for the feedback.
View Quote

They’re like a lightning rod in the optics world.

Their niche is a budget optic that punches above its weight class, i.e. Primary Arms & many others.

They’ve received some really negative attention for the way they marketed stuff through YouTube, essentially stacking the deck for good reviews.

I have only ever used two of their scopes, an EP-5 and now the EP-8 LPVO.

I thought the EP-5 was a bargain if you got it at a sales price, a real bargain since i can get as many of them as I want at better than sales prices from a friend.

Now I think the EP-8 falls in the same category, I was impressed with it.

Their customer service can be spotty, meaning if you have a failure, sometimes it’s super quick and you get a replacement right away, sometimes people have to stay after them.

I don’t think they’re a miracle company, I think the EP line, based on the two models I tried, are far better than haters make them out to be, but they’re also not the miracle the shills/fanboys make them out to be.

$400 delivered including mount and optic, to me is a strong buy.  The supposed retail price of $570 plus tax including mount and optic I would never pay for…

Hope that helps some and kinda makes sense.

The NOVA is a good scope for the price & you know 100% PA will back the warranty and make a return easy for you if you have a problem.  The glass is good for China, the Arken glass is better.

Sig was underwhelming to me, though it wasn’t bad, but for the local price you posted absolutely worth a shot to see if you like it.  Glass is the worst of the three mentioned, but depending on your needs may perform just fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Good info. Thanks. shooting for me is a hobby and the sig will most likely suit me just fine as far as my shooting goes. Rarely am I shooting past 100 yards, just would like the magnification for the times that I do. I mostly stick with red dots. I think this goes for 90% of us but the Acogs and $1000+ scopes are for cool factor versus actual need and the scope is only as good as the person using it. If I can save $500, I’d rather go spend that on some ammo and have fun. Going to start looking in the used market for an Arken now.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both the Tango MSR 1-6 and the Gen 4 PA SLx 1-6 Nova. I also have a Razor 1-6 Gen 2 E. Between the Tango and the Nova, it is very close. splitting hairs. I like the glass and brightness of the SLx a little better but for the price points both are good. I like the reticle on the Tango MSR better that the Nove. The sig has wind holds that the Nova does not.

The glass is close enough to almost be a wash. If "red dot bright" is of high importance to you, get the Nova. The sig is a very good daylight bright and the etched lines pointing to the horseshoe in the center help pick up the target quickly.

If wind holds and the reticle style are higher importance than being "red dot bright", get the Tango MSR.

The Sig mount is nice enough for the price that I bought one to use with the PA Nova.

Nothing about either scope is as good as or better than the razor except weight and the price. The PA is a few oz lighter than the Tango MSR. To compare either with the Razor requires "for the price" to be chanted several times. LOL.  Both the PA Gen IV and the Sig Tango MSR have moved budget LPVO closer to the PST Gen 2.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never used an LPVO

Would this be a good scope to use on a 10.3 URG-i upper as a way to see if I like this type of optic before I invest in a Vortex Razor or Sig Tango 6T?

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#16]
The main benefit of the Sig is bullet proof toughness.  The optic has NO caliber restrictions on it (even 50 cal) and and you can tell it's built like a tank.  It'll stand up to just about any abuse you'll throw at it, unlike Primary Arms chinese made optics.  The quick throw lever setting is nice as well.

If you think a comparable scope is "just as good" or "better" call and ask them what calibers the optic is rated for and you'll get your answer.

Durability in an optic is paramount for me, esp if it's your primary.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Blain:
The main benefit of the Sig is bullet proof toughness.  The optic has NO caliber restrictions on it (even 50 cal) and and you can tell it's built like a tank.  It'll stand up to just about any abuse you'll throw at it, unlike Primary Arms chinese made optics.  The quick throw lever setting is nice as well.

If you think a comparable scope is "just as good" or "better" call and ask them what calibers the optic is rated for and you'll get your answer.

View Quote

Did not realize this. Good points here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI on this, the battery life was unlisted but I only got 110 hours on medium settings.

I believe Primary Arms new Battery cap will fit though. Shake awake should extend that if you accidently leave it on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Arken EP-8 is 50 BMG rated
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Aren't all the Sig Tango scopes made in Japan or The Philippines and assembled in the US?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
FYI on this, the battery life was unlisted but I only got 110 hours on medium settings.

I believe Primary Arms new Battery cap will fit though. Shake awake should extend that if you accidently leave it on.
View Quote

That’s ridiculously bad. I’m not one to split hairs when we’re talking thousands of hours life because i keep mine off but 100 hours is sad. Very good to know.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]

That’s ridiculously bad. I’m not one to split hairs when we’re talking thousands of hours life because i keep mine off but 100 hours is sad. Very good to know.
View Quote

It takes a lot more energy to light a reticle than it does to project a red dot.  You will never see "thousands of hours" run time for reticle illumination.  Most seem to fall in the 150ish hour range so this isn't far off the mark.  Anybody know what the Nova battery life is?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

It takes a lot more energy to light a reticle than it does to project a red dot.  You will never see "thousands of hours" run time for reticle illumination.  Most seem to fall in the 150ish hour range so this isn't far off the mark.  Anybody know what the Nova battery life is?
View Quote

Touché. I kind of mixed my thoughts on this, and was just thinking about researching the PA LPVOs and thought I read they were close to 300; maybe even more?(could be wrong)so the 110 number seems pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Arken EP-8 is 50 BMG rated
View Quote

I’m actively hawking the EE for one of these.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PacNW5] [#25]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Vortex has said the Razor is 150 hours on max so I think that will be close to any LPVO with a 2032 battery.

The Sig MSR is also made in china though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#26]

I’m actively hawking the EE for one of these.
View Quote

Check PM

I can get you one with the mount for less than anywhere else.

Obviously used would be your cheapest option, but I don’t know anyone selling them yet, because they’re new to the market & so far they all like them.

Texas Plinking released a video claiming it the best LPVO under $500, FWIW.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried the SFP Sig Tango-MSR1-6. I was actually kinda impressed with the build quality for an LPVO AND Mount that can be had together for in the $300s. I'm not a huge fan of BDC reticles, but the "CQB donut was clear, bright and the 1X was decent. Eyebox was decent. Everything about it was better than you would expect for the price. As others have said, it's heavy
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top