Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/29/2024 4:21:45 PM EDT
So, I've decided to finish my XM177E2, and I gave my last set of shiny Colt 6-holes to a museum in Poland years ago, so I was wondering what people were using these days to polish up HGs? IIRC various mag wheel polishes were suggested, but I'm old now and my brain didn't retain this info. Thanks in advance, guys. I'm starting a new Vietnam novel, and decided the 605 needed a little brother...
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 6:19:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m1sniper] [#1]
Hi Morg, I used a Mother's wax buffing ball and polishing compound (not rubbing compound) it's a finer grit. Buffing ball I used in my drill press but works well in any drill.
This combo also worked real real well on some very oxidized 601 green furniture. Made them look brand new!!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Bud! I hope all is well with you? If you ever get to the Sedona area, look me up.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The Morg is back in retro-land..!!!

I'm a cheapass.

I just buffed them with a shoe shine cloth.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grondike] [#4]
Welcome back, brother. Good to see you again.

The H&R hand guards have a pretty good semi-gloss finish and will do fine as is, IMO, or could easily take a light polish. I put my XM177E1 together using their Commando receiver and various parts, but the upper assembly is factory built.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/h-r-us-made-gi-quality-carbine-length-drop-in-6-hole-handguard.html

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Altough the handguards are not that shiny it might be an ispiration to you as well ...

I heard you like the fixed stock version ...
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gunslinger-Mike:
Altough the handguards are not that shiny it might be an ispiration to you as well ...

https://i.imgur.com/hyQWqBy.jpeg

View Quote
I know Morg likes them but I'm not a fan of the fixed stock, although I do like the extra hole in your lower that mine doesn't have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I would highly recommend you at least consider the H&R offering. I have 1 pair of OG colts and now 3 pairs H&R. The H&Rs are a 99% match imho in looks feel and tough too. Never had any luck with polishing the old dpms ones.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CATMLB] [#8]
TR-3 Resin Glaze was seemed to do the trick in the past.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Morg308:
Thanks, Bud! I hope all is well with you? If you ever get to the Sedona area, look me up.
View Quote

Absolutely.. I gotta get outta this state!! And Hey my Friend, if you come across a bunch of the 50s dated GP straps, lemme know. My sources have dried up.

Say Hi to Olgunner for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Morg sighting!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
So, I've decided to finish my XM177E2, and I gave my last set of shiny Colt 6-holes to a museum in Poland years ago, so I was wondering what people were using these days to polish up HGs? IIRC various mag wheel polishes were suggested, but I'm old now and my brain didn't retain this info. Thanks in advance, guys. I'm starting a new Vietnam novel, and decided the 605 needed a little brother...
View Quote

Plastics, fiberglass, etc do not react well to heat.  Polish slow to avoid any heat build up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow. It's so nice to "See" you guys. Really, if any of you ever get out my way, look me up. Both XM177E1 pics make me jealous. Just can't justify a stamp... although I've been seriously considering a suppressor for a retro build in .300 Blackout. FWIW, my 'dream' AR is a fixed stock XM177E1. The whole SBR thing is just so stupid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By m1sniper:

Absolutely.. I gotta get outta this state!! And Hey my Friend, if you come across a bunch of the 50s dated GP straps, lemme know. My sources have dried up.

Say Hi to Olgunner for me.
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TX8YL2I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow. It's so nice to "See" you guys. Really, if any of you ever get out my way, look me up. Both XM177E1 pics make me jealous. Just can't justify a stamp... although I've been seriously considering a suppressor for a retro build in .300 Blackout. FWIW, my 'dream' AR is a fixed stock XM177E1. The whole SBR thing is just so stupid.
View Quote

The 300 BO retro is one I want to do as well.  I have an 11" 300 BO with a can and love how quiet it is.  Would love to mock one up to look like 733 or xm177 and put my can on it.  CMMG use to make barrel assemblies with sight etc but alas no longer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I did my N-23 inspired retro in .300 Blackout and it's one of my favorite builds. I have considered doing something like a 733 in .300.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tstetz:
I did my N-23 inspired retro in .300 Blackout and it's one of my favorite builds. I have considered doing something like a 733 in .300.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42803/N23A1_4_jpg-3154175.JPG
View Quote

Really nice build.  What barrel and handguard is that?
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tstetz] [#17]
Originally Posted By akaLoneStar:

Really nice build.  What barrel and handguard is that?
View Quote

Thanks! It's based on the N-23 concept that Recoil wrote up. They did theirs in 5.56 but I thought .300 made more sense for a short build like this.

It's a Ballistic Advantage 8 inch barrel. They were the only ones that I found that would do an FSB on a .300 that short. It was pretty reasonable. $160ish I think?

The handguards are 3d printed. That's the rub right now. Recoil made their set by cutting a CAR handguard down and gluing it back together in this config. You can 3d print them yourself though, or AR180 parts sells a version that they print. It'd be nice if someone made factory handguards like this.

I wrote the build up, and a few other retros, HERE recently.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger-Mike:

https://i.imgur.com/hyQWqBy.jpeg

View Quote

I like that look too. That config became somewhat common in the late war period 1969-72 as CAR parts became scarce in country. I tried doing a midlength upper but it was too undergassed with rifle lower so I had the upper rebuilt to 653 standard. Does your's reliably cycle on a rifle buffer lower? From what I've read bolt bounce and failure to feed were the most common reliability concerns with the early CAR models
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:59:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger-Mike] [#19]
Doc, I have to apologize. It is a deactivated version made from a late M16A1 variant. I should have said that. Sorry.

The XM177 moderator is a Brick1, the rest of the parts are all Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top